Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Ryan
    • By MSE Ryan 4th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 35Thanks
    MSE Ryan
    First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal
    • 4th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal 4th Jan 17 at 2:58 PM
    Hi guys, we're featuring a new exclusive offer on the site that whilst perhaps not being suitable for everyone, we feel might be a good deal for some of you;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#firstdirect

First Direct
    New. Free £125 cash & rated no.1 for customer service

Newbies to First Direct* can now, via our link, get £125 to switch to it (£100 direct). It has excellent customer service !!!8211; it's won every bank service poll we've ever done, with 91% of its customers rating it 'great' !!!8211; only 3% said they got poor service. You also get a small £250 0% overdraft, and can open a linked 5% regular saver.

Need-to-knows
    To get the £125 switching bonus, you need to use First Direct's switching service to fully switch and close your existing account and pay in at least £1,000 within three months of your account opening.
    Once you've made the payment, the £125 is credited to your account within 28 working days.
    This account has a £10 monthly fee, but this is waived each month you either pay in £1,000, have an average monthly balance of £1,000 or hold selected other accounts with First Direct.
    You can't get the switching bonus if you've ever held an account with First Direct before.
    First Direct shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with HSBC, so ensure you don't hold more than £75,000 across the two banks.

You can find the rest of the need to know information via the above link.

If you have any problems with the switching process, you can contact First Direct's account opening team on 0800 24 24 24.

If you're still struggling, you can post on this thread, below, or reach us via direct email on: voucherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com
    MSE Ryan

User Relations Manager
Page 9
    • meer53
    • By meer53 17th Jun 18, 11:01 AM
    • 9,200 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    meer53
    You can indeed apply either online or by telephone but that is not what I am saying.

I applied online in October 2017 and everything went fine. However I received a letter saying that I had to phone them so they could conduct a telephone interview. The customer services agent said that it was usual to carry out a telephone interview.

I took this to mean that the telephone interview was mandatory. I am not now sure of this and neither can I say when this was instigated.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Several friends and members of my family have opened accounts with them without a telephone interview and without having to provide any documents for identification purposes so it's not mandatory.
    • kpk2000
    • By kpk2000 17th Jun 18, 4:29 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    kpk2000
    Hoping someone can help with £125 switch - opened account couple of days before switching bonus changed, used switching service to move and deposited over£1000 to qualify for bonus. Anyone know how long it should take for the £125 bonus to be put into account & if there is any notification?
    2008 - Premiership Final Tickets,
    2009 - Sony E-Reader, Devon Break,
    2010 - Top Gear goodies, Fuel (Xbox360), Microsoft Expression Studio,
    2011 - iPod Touch, £200 cheque ...
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 17th Jun 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    RG2015
    Several friends and members of my family have opened accounts with them without a telephone interview and without having to provide any documents for identification purposes so it's not mandatory.
    Originally posted by meer53
    I stand corrected.

I have also just checked my records and my telephone interview was a week after I had received my welcome letter confirming that my account had been opened.

My file note was headed "Phone First Direct to set up security" so perhaps this was specifically to set up online and telephone banking. Nevertheless, the customer services agent called it an interview and they did ask several personal questions.
    • dalef
    • By dalef 18th Jun 18, 11:19 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    dalef
    Can you get this bonus if you are named on a First Direct mortgage (added during remortgage) but have never had any other type of account with them?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 23rd Jun 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Can you get this bonus if you are named on a First Direct mortgage (added during remortgage) but have never had any other type of account with them?
    Originally posted by dalef
    No, I don't think you can. First Direct exclude anyone who has ever been a customer, no matter what type of account.
    • Joelinit
    • By Joelinit 11th Jul 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joelinit
    Hey all - just wanted to post my experience with First Direct's switching service, as sadly, it didn't go to plan and now mine and my wife's credit ratings have been affected.

Our switching date fell upon the same day as our mortgage payments and subsequently this payment didn't come out. First Direct refused to take any responsibility, claiming it was our old bank's duty to pay as it fell on the switching date, even though they'd now closed that account on our behalf and thus we had no way of tracking.

An apology and recognition of a shortfall in writing is all we'd have needed to reverse the credit report with our mortgage provider, but they've refused throughout. Subsequently we've had to complain to the ombudsman to try to correct our credit ratings as we don't feel the missed mortgage payment was our fault. First Direct advertise and guarantee such a simple switching process, which has ultimately failed us.

In hindsight, we shouldn't have switched on the same day as our mortgage payment. In summary, First Direct's switching service is not quite as straight forward as they "Honestly. Truthfully" guarantee it will be.

The silver lining of course is the £100 First Direct offer if you leave unhappy after 6 months, which, needless to say we'll be doing.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 11th Jul 18, 11:22 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 14,956 Thanks
    Westie983
    Hey all - just wanted to post my experience with First Direct's switching service, as sadly, it didn't go to plan and now mine and my wife's credit ratings have been affected.

Our switching date fell upon the same day as our mortgage payments and subsequently this payment didn't come out. First Direct refused to take any responsibility, claiming it was our old bank's duty to pay as it fell on the switching date, even though they'd now closed that account on our behalf and thus we had no way of tracking.

An apology and recognition of a shortfall in writing is all we'd have needed to reverse the credit report with our mortgage provider, but they've refused throughout. Subsequently we've had to complain to the ombudsman to try to correct our credit ratings as we don't feel the missed mortgage payment was our fault. First Direct advertise and guarantee such a simple switching process, which has ultimately failed us.

In hindsight, we shouldn't have switched on the same day as our mortgage payment. In summary, First Direct's switching service is not quite as straight forward as they "Honestly. Truthfully" guarantee it will be.

The silver lining of course is the £100 First Direct offer if you leave unhappy after 6 months, which, needless to say we'll be doing.
    Originally posted by Joelinit
    Hi,

If you used CASS why did the mortgage payment fail as it would have been redirected from your old account as part of the switching process.

I would also say that you should have pushed for first direct to sort out the issue when it happened as again part of the T&Cs is that they cover any issues you have between switching accounts so you are not out of pocket.

Did you put in a complaint to first direct before approaching the ombudsmen?

I would push for an explanation from them as they have failed to abide to the CASS T&Cs they display on their website. *noted itís not the 125 incentive but this part has remained the same.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/banking/switching-bank-accounts#fully-guaranteed

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£11,000/£12,000 = 91.66%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1000/£1000 = 100.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1500)+-480/£2000 = 51.00%

Total £13,122.59/£15,865 = 82.71%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

8,924Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• The fight to divorce mental health and debt... https://t.co/G3pyGje6Kh

• Follow Martin