Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkthinks
    • By pinkthinks 22nd Sep 07, 10:55 AM
    • 76Posts
    • 32Thanks
    pinkthinks
    Very ashamed to admit...
    • 22nd Sep 07, 10:55 AM
    Very ashamed to admit... 22nd Sep 07 at 10:55 AM
    I'm 31 years old & I don't know how to cook a chicken.

I've got the little blighter sitting in the fridge, OH at work and he's the cook but really want to cook this for when he gets home.

Can anyone help me? I'm talking basic instructions here...

Pleeeeease?
Page 1
  • floyd
    • 22nd Sep 07, 10:57 AM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 10:57 AM
    How much does it weigh?
  • Sola
    • 22nd Sep 07, 10:58 AM
    How much does it weigh? I always calculate on 20 minutes per pound, plus an extra 20 minutes, at 180 deg C (with the oven preheated). Put it in a roasting dish (on a rack if you don't want it sitting in its own juices), sprinkle on any herbs or flavourings you like, and away you go
  • lilmoi1985lm
    This is helpful! You brave brae soul!! I am glad I am not the only one who cant cook a whole chicken - actually i think i probably could do it im just a wuss! I will be printing off all tips!
    Money's our first priority, it doesn't make sense to me -Simple Plan - Crazy
    Debt at lightbulb moment 13/12/07 £13820. Debt now 20/02/09 £11316:confused:
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd #665'
    • pinkthinks
    • By pinkthinks 22nd Sep 07, 11:03 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    pinkthinks
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:03 AM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:03 AM
    1.4kg, according to packet.

It's also tied up with some string - why?

I'm not keen on this cooking lark (Did I mention I'm a right girl's blouse when it comes to squidgy stuff?!)

Thanks to all in advance.....
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 22nd Sep 07, 11:05 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 45,129 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:05 AM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:05 AM
    I always wash my chicken/meat first - cold running water - give it a good rinse through before cooking. (and remove the string - it's just there to keep it's shape in the packaging.)

Place in a roasting dish, breast side down first. Cook for about 25 mins on 180 deg c and then flip it over so the breast side is up (keeps it nice and moist) - back in the oven for the remaining time - weight dependant.

To test it's cooked properly, stick it with fork at the deepest part of the meat and see if the juices run clear....if in doubt - bung it back in for another 10 mins and test again.

HTH
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Sep 07, 11:07 AM
    • 66,519 Posts
    • 390,862 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:07 AM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:07 AM
    Wow. Go you. I'm 46 and never cooked one yet. Not cooked any meat.

But, I do remember from when my mum used to do them on sundays:

Wash it out. The inside. Hold it under a running tap for awhile and make sure the inside is clean. Make sure you cleared out anything stuffed inside it (plastic bag of giblets for example). Don't look at these. they're disgusting!

When it's clean, you can stuff it (if you want).

Tie up the ends/legs so it's not gaping.

You need to know the weight of it to do it the right amount of time.

People might tell you to do other things like:
    - rub stuff on the outside for various reasons (butter, salt)
    - cover it entirely in foil, then uncover it at some stage.
    - cover the ends of the legs with foil anyway (stops them burning I think)

You'll need to turn it over at some point while it's cooking. So probably need to have it breast side down for starters, then turn it and expose the breast for browning.

Not sure about basting.... or how much fat to put in the dish (if any). Others will know these things.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Sep 07, 11:08 AM
    • 66,519 Posts
    • 390,862 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:08 AM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:08 AM
    P.S. For "easy looking cooking methods" I'd follow Delia (not that I ever cook!)

http://www.deliaonline.com/search/?qx=roast+chicken
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 22nd Sep 07, 11:09 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 7,997 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:09 AM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 11:09 AM
    Also very few chickens come with giblets anymore - but just check inside the chicken cavity for a little plastic bag and throw it away if there is one - but there probably won't be.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • pinkthinks
    • By pinkthinks 22nd Sep 07, 11:15 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    pinkthinks
    Many thanks all... pastures new thanks for the link.

I will now go & wash my chicken, whilst saying things like "eeewwww" , etc.

One step at a time I say!

I know when OH has cooked chicken he's put it on a wire rack in the roasting pan with water in the tray. What do you suggest - should I use the rack or just straight in the tray? Do I need to put oil in the tray?

I told you I'm really not clued up on these things.
  • floyd
    I would just put it straight in the tin without any oil as the chicken will produce fat to stop it sticking to the pan.
    I take mine out when its cooked and rest it on a wire rack for 10 mins as it is easier to carve meat that is slightly cooler. Very hot chicken meat tends to crumble (in my hands at least!)
  • seraphina
    I don't mean to be contrary but please do *NOT* wash your chicken. As you're going to cook the beast properly there should be no risk from germs. In fact, by washing your chicken you are far more likely to spread germs by splashing water all over the place. Government advice may be found here:

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/keepingfoodsafe/germstravel/

And besides, it's one less squeamish thing to do!
  • odds-n-sods
    washing is OK, there may be extra 'bits' that come out when you wash. and it helps the salt + pepper to stick better. On a rack is fine, water in the bottom is fine (helps keep the bird moist and adds to the amount of juices for gravy.
    A lemon cut in 4 and stuck inside is what I usually do. then squeeze them over the sliced chicken when you eat it!

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 22nd Sep 07, 12:39 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I never wash meat :confused: after all you wouldn't wash mince would you ?

I also cut the string off -can't see any reason for tying up the legs.

Calculate 20 mins per lb/500g plus another 20 mins -as others have already said.

Stick half a lemon up its bum, squeeze the other half over the bird. Add garlic cloves, herbs (rosemary and thyme are good), black pepper, sea salt at will. The salt is really good. Rub over a generous amount of olive oil OR smear an equally generous amount of butter under the breast skin.

Check it is cooked by piercing the thick part of the thigh -if the juices that run out are pink it isn't cooked -give it a bit longer. I've never had a chicken not cooked by calculating the time as above.
    Last edited by thriftlady; 22-09-2007 at 1:50 PM.
    • Tao81
    • By Tao81 22nd Sep 07, 12:42 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Tao81
    Well Done You!
    I don't think it's shameful not to know how to cook a chicken at your age pinkthings - I'd love it if my daughter had to come to me requesting similar instructions at your age .....I'd smile so broadly and feel inwardly very proud of the fact that she'd found herself a good man (something I definately failed badly at in this life ) Someone who wasn't chauvanistic enough to feel there are separate 'mens' and 'womens' roles, and that her's should be permenantly in the kitchen!! Although sadly, I think she's already asked me how I cook a chicken, so I'll have to find some other indicator

BTW - Chicken has to be the easiest thing to cook, definitely difficult to burn I've always found.

Just remember to always let any meat stand for up to 20 mins before carving (wrap it in foil to keep it hot - but then you won't know where that's kept Hun will you?) It's alright, 10 mins will do fine.
    Anyway, by letting it stand before carving it allows all the lovely juices to go back into the meat and the meat relaxes (yeah just like a majority of men, it puts it's feet up until you are ready to serve on the table?!!!! ) No seriously it makes carving much easier and the meat more lush.

Bon Appetite - P.S. Don't forget to turn the oven off when you remove the chicken will ya? Don't want those utility bills rocketing now you've finally plucked up the courage to venture into the kitchen?!! Best of Luck HUN enjoy.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
    • cardiogirl
    • By cardiogirl 22nd Sep 07, 12:47 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    cardiogirl
    I also would reccomend that you don't wash the chicken.
    Wouldalso smear with oil & shake over some dried herbs & put a lemon or peeled onion up it's bum.
    Unless it't a free range chicken, it needs some help with flavour.
    Once it's cooked (usually about 1.5 hours on 180-200), leave it on the side for 20-30 mins to rest before serving to settle the meat before carving.
    Best of luck, once you've mastered it, it's a lovely simple tasty meal.
  • moanymoany
    I've cooked chickens fancy and plain - but - this is the easiest and most successful way I've found.

I never wash meat, suppose it's because no-one in my family ever did.

Put the chicken in a roasting tin still in the plastic wrap and the carrier bag- I now have a lovely one with a lid but it doesn't matter.

While it is sitting in the tin I carefully remove the plastic. (I have a thing about germs) which I leave in the carrier. I check for giblets and remove the thread thing it is trussed up with.

Remove the carrier full of plastic wrapper, giblets (if any) and thread.

Wash my hands (remember the thing about germs) and then sprinkle with salt and pepper, the chicken, not the newly washed hands. Cover the whole tin with foil. Cook at about 180 for one and a half hours. Take of foil and cook for half an hour.

Result - one very well cooked, crispy and delish chicken.

OH, just takes the chicken out of the plastic, puts it into the tin and cooks it! Still great!
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 22nd Sep 07, 3:09 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    1.4kg, according to packet.

It's also tied up with some string - why?

I'm not keen on this cooking lark (Did I mention I'm a right girl's blouse when it comes to squidgy stuff?!)

Thanks to all in advance.....
    Originally posted by pinkthinks
    Its tied up so it cant get out of the oven...
  • grannybroon
    I never wash meat or chicken, just snip the elastic on chicken and 9 times out of 10 cook meat in slow cooker. Just make sure you comply with hygiene and wash hands before and after handling raw meat or chicken.

GB
    • pinkthinks
    • By pinkthinks 22nd Sep 07, 4:09 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    pinkthinks
    Well, 40 mins in, house not on fire and pleasant smell of lemon & garlic wafting from kitchen.... worryingly no pleasant smell of chicken ....

also did not wash chicken, could not face handling it more than absolutely neccessary
    Last edited by pinkthinks; 22-09-2007 at 4:11 PM. Reason: add
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,570Posts Today

8,132Users online

Martin's Twitter