Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 9:55 PM
    • 2,958Posts
    • 21,542Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 9:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 9:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £12,440 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £59,373
    Car loans £17,631.05

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 44
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 17th May 19, 9:38 AM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 21,542 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hello Theamazingshrinkingwoman thanks for dropping by.

Thanks for the confidence vote. I keep telling myself it can't be as much of a shock to the system bringing baby no 2 home as it was with baby no 1. I don't feel organised, I'm good at planning to do things *cough* housework *cough* but then half the time can't be bothered.

Just worked two early shifts & it was so nice to escape to work and have a wee break from DS. I don't think I could cope full time at home with him, I actually feel lucky that I can get out to work 2 days a week (never thought I would say that!).

Of course I love being with DS too but it's good for both of us to be apart sometimes. DH appreciates his days off looking after DS on his own too, it helps them to bond more. With DS it's Dada this & Dada that atm. He was behaving beautifully for DH & then being a grumpy brat as soon as I came home (both days), making me paranoid!

DS still obsessed with the word "stuck" just now - I locked the bathroom door last night & could hear him running through to DH after trying the door handle, saying "Dada, muma stuck".

A new Lidl opened in our town last week & I drive past it on my way home from work so dropped in on my way home yesterday afternoon. I was quite impressed with it, we usually go between Mr M, Mr A home delivery & Mr Al's. Trying the Lidl nappies & pull ups as DS keeps leaking with all the other nappies, he seems to be an in between size.

Went to savers the day before to get some toiletries & cleaning stuff , so much cheaper for branded things. Bought a solid stick for headaches, always carry one with me as it usually sorts out a headache without taking painkillers. DH had stolen my previous one as he was so impressed with it - only cost £1.49.

Planning on cleaning the bathrooms & possibly another shot with the spray mop today. Need to check if I have gel liners for my hanging baskets before putting the trailing geraniums I bought in them.
    Last edited by sashybo; 17-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Car loans £17,631.05

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 17th May 19, 12:32 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 21,542 Thanks
    sashybo
    No gel liners for the hanging baskets so the trailing geraniums will have to wait until I get some. I love the smell of geranium leaves but haven't bought the plants for years & realised it was because MIL told me they stink and we weren't to buy any (years ago). So I took great pleasure in buying some yesterday - they're for MY garden after all, not hers! Why did I listen to her??

I did re-pot my sweet peppers & a jalapeño and move them out into the greenhouse. DS managed to grab & mangle one of my jalapeño seedlings which really annoyed me. Not really his fault, he doesn't understand that it took months to grow but still very frustrating.

Also re-potted 2 bird's eye seedlings but they're still too small to go into the greenhouse. Think my tumbling Tom tomatoes can probably be moved out soon. Had to re-try the cucumber seeds again as still no luck with them. DH planted some runner beans yesterday so they should start doing something soon.

Hung out a washing & used the spray mop on the bathroom floors but still need to actually clean the bathrooms. DS still grumpy with his cold so he's having a nap & giving me some peace.

Car loans £17,631.05

• Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    • By Theamazingshrinkingwoman 17th May 19, 10:08 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    My MIL once told me we'd put our coat hooks in the wrong place as she couldn't reach them. I reminded her that she didn't need to as she didn't live in our house...
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th May 19, 3:07 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Congratulations on expecting baby no. 2!

Your seedlings sound like they are coming on well.
    paydbx2019 #93 £699.95/£10,100 .
    School trips £1216/£1269..
    EF £260
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 18th May 19, 10:09 AM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 21,542 Thanks
    sashybo
    My MIL once told me we'd put our coat hooks in the wrong place as she couldn't reach them. I reminded her that she didn't need to as she didn't live in our house...
    Originally posted by Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    Oh dear MIL's eh? I'm going to buy as many geraniums as I want from now on.

Congratulations on expecting baby no. 2!

Your seedlings sound like they are coming on well.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Honeysucklelou

Thank you, looking forward to having no. 2.

Most of the seedlings have done well, although the chillies & peppers have been quite slow to get started this year, think it's been too cold.

Just can't seem to get the cucumber seeds to germinate for some reason. Possibly a combination of too cold & being overwatered. My sweet peas are looking a bit sad in the front garden, think the cold might have got them. May have to give in & buy some.

Managed to give the bathrooms a quick clean yesterday & threw the bath mats in the washing too.

Raining here today, good for the garden, not so much for us. We're going over to visit our friends & their wee girls for lunch. Haven't seen them for a while so should be good. Hoping DS isn't too grumpy today.

Need to try & see my brother soon as it was his birthday last week & need to give him his present. DS also enjoys playing with his cousins although they boss him about as are girls & older than him (2.5 & 4yo).

Also the last payment for our loan came out yesterday. That's £181 extra p/m, need to try & use it wisely rather than waste it though. So just the two car loans left to go now.

Car loans £17,631.05

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th May 19, 3:38 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 15,204 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Must be the weather, my cucumbers germinated then died. The tomatoes haven't done brilliantly either but that is more cat damage.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th May 19, 5:11 PM
    • 63,146 Posts
    • 277,517 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the loan being finished
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 19th May 19, 9:35 AM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 21,542 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi redo, it's a pain with the cucumbers. I've planted mini munch as the plants last year were very easy & produced a lot. They are a nice size for DS as well & he loves cucumber. Fingers crossed they work this time.

at your poor cat damaged tomatoes. I'm lucky that my cats don't go out so I can mostly keep them away from my seedlings. I do get squashed flowers in my pots outside from the neighbourhood cats sitting on them to have cat battles with my cats through the patio doors. Pretty funny to watch them batting at each other through the glass.

Thanks beanie, it's one less outgoing to worry about with that loan being finished. It's also the last debt we had to take on to cover the negative equity of our last flat (lost about £25k on it due to buying/selling at exactly the wrong times. ).

Although we're now considering converting the garage which would probably require a loan to cover. We have just under £2k saved towards this but obviously would need more than that. I still think we should get rid of the "guest" room instead & then the outlaws wouldn't be able to stay with us as an added bonus. DH says no.

Had a nice day with our friends yesterday although DS was still quite crabby & didn't eat particularly well. He's still not himself. He also managed to scratch our friend's older daughters' face. She's 7 & a bit bossy so I suspect she was trying to make him do something he didn't want to do. There was a lot of screeching & overreaction from her.

DH & I watched Eurovision once we got home & got DS settled. We enjoyed ourselves.

Car loans £17,631.05

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th May 19, 2:14 PM
    • 7,131 Posts
    • 52,219 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Fab news that the loan has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £251.96
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 19th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 9,341 Posts
    • 73,622 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Congratulations on baby number two Sashybo (I'm a bit late to the party). Having your second one is much less of an upheaval than having your first baby as you already have systems set up and generally feel much more confident and laid back with the second one. Also DS will be less demanding because he'll have someone to play with . Dada is easier for children to say than mama so it doesn't usually mean they favour daddy more.

Good news on the loan being gone too .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,738Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter