Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 9:55 PM
    • 2,934Posts
    • 21,369Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 9:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 9:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £12,340 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £58,465
    Loan £362, Car loans £18,177.56

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 42
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 18th Feb 19, 3:18 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    re instagc is there a friend referral code etc etc

Pm me it if you its avaliable and i will join.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 19th Feb 19, 10:04 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Scott, yes I forgot that about shoppix too & submitted two receipts from the same place one day too.

Did a few surveys last night so must be feeling a bit better.

Managed to get my tomato seedlings moved into pots yesterday & have spotted jalapeŮo & birds eye chilli seedlings popping up in the heated propagator.

Only managed 20 mins out in the garden yesterday in between heavy rain showers. DS wanted to stay out in it but I didn't fancy getting soaked! Will try to get him out for longer today, meant to take him to playgroup today but slept in (again) & still not feeling great anyway. We'll go next week instead. Both still in our pjs.

Back to work tomorrow for two early shifts, just hope I'm feeling better.

Really need to try and do a bit of housework today, only did some washing yesterday. Will try to at least hoover today.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 24th Feb 19, 10:59 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Still not feeling great, work was a struggle Wed & Thurs. DH has caught another bug too.

Went out yesterday with DS to meet friends & we had a nice day out, first in the park and then a very healthy lunch of churros in a cafe. We were lucky with the weather as it was mild & sunny and the rain only started when we got back to the car. DS was exhausted as he was running about all day.

One of my friends lives down South now so was good to see him with his little girl & partner. First time my DS & his DD have met, there's only about 4 weeks between them. DS was stroking her hair & she was loving it. DS was also holding hands with my other friend's wee 6 month old, he's fascinated with babies just now.

Briefly saw another friend's 2 week old baby which was lovely, she was very tiny. I was walking DS round the park on his reigns so my other friend's 7yo was keeping us company & telling me long rambling stories about Lego & Thomas the tank engine.

Today DS & I are chilling out, my brother might bring my nieces over later for a while which DS will enjoy. DH is working again & quite grumpy as he doesn't feel well.

I've been doing a few small things round the house, stripped the bed & DH put them in the washing. Have emptied the bathroom bins & done a bit of washing up, DW also switched on. Need to do the big clean of the litter trays & empty the food bin and recycling bags into the bins. Just doing a bit at a time as still not feeling good.

In money news, the 0% CC is almost gone, only £55 to pay off. Also only 3 more payments on the smaller loan.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Mar 19, 1:58 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Still not feeling great, have been too tired/lazy to post.

Went for a night away at a posh hotel with DH at the start of the week, got a good deal which included dinner & breakfast. The place was lovely & the food was gorgeous. We were both still exhausted but it was nice to get away. My mum kept DS for us so he was happy too.

Today I took DS for a walk down the hill from our house to the wee play area in our estate. It's always fine going down but he never wants to walk back up the hill because he doesn't want to go home.

Lots of screaming, kicking & shouting ensued. I had to take his wellies off & carry them as he kept kicking them off plus carry him back up the hill tucked under my arm like a surfboard, kicking & screaming the whole way. It was exhausting & we were only out for 15 mins. I knew there was a reason I stopped walking him down there. He ended up falling asleep on the couch 5 mins after we got in, 2 hours earlier than his normal nap time & slept an hour and a half.

Have potted some sweet pepper seedlings & sown some tumbling Tom tomato seeds today. Also put some support sticks in for the sungold tomato seedlings. We have our new potatoes chitting in the spare room too now.

Last night I cleaned the en-suite bathroom, need to do the main bathroom at some point. Feeling so tired again though & didn't get my nap because DS had his nap early.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Mar 19, 7:09 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Finally feeling a bit better, still very tired but not so ill now. DS has caught another cold & is coughing and snorting everywhere. As usual he caught the cold after going to playgroup!

He has also had very itchy & irritated skin on his back, chest & tummy recently. He was scaly & red and scratching away.

No idea what he's reacted to but stopped using bubble bath & fabric conditioner & have changed from laundry liquid (which was non-bio anyway) to soap nuts to see if that helps.

I don't think it's eczema as he's not dry in any of his creases & his skin isn't cracking but will take him to the Dr's if it doesn't stop appearing. Using a moisturiser with no added scent etc as aqueous cream made him even worse. It seems to be clearing up but he still has dry patches & is scratching a bit. Will try & keep a note of when it flares up in case it's diet related too.

Working overtime this weekend as had DS cover due to DH working lates & the OT being earlies. Need the money so might as well do the overtime whilst it's available. Looking forward to a few days off though, still hate 5am alarms & have been doing this job for 8 and a half years.

Have had a few survey companies pay out so hoping to pay £50 extra off DH's nationwide loan this month. My 0% CC will be paid off this month too. Just as well as our council tax is going up by 4.79%. This takes our CT to about a third of our mortgage payment every month.

We've been thinking about converting our garage into another room in the house as we don't use it for the cars (it would only barely fit one car in anyway). DH has a room upstairs full of computers etc & it's a bigger room than the one DS is in so thinking of moving DS to that room & DH's stuff to the garage/room. Obviously depends on cost etc but I think it would worth it to us to have the extra space.

I did suggest we get rid of our "guest" room as the only people who really ever stay are the outlaws but DH wouldn't go for it unfortunately. I think I would like them better if I wasn't forced to stay in the same house as them for several days whenever we see them. Hard work is an understatement. I've now changed my MIL's name to "inappropriate questions" as she seems to have no filter between her brain & her mouth. So many of the things she asks are just none of her business.

The outlaws aren't happy atm as the dates they wanted to visit this month or next are no good for us due to work etc. We did give them alternative dates that would be ok for us but they a) didn't want to travel around Easter time & b) kept going on about how "unfavourable" the dates we suggested were for them. They tried their very best to bully DH into agreeing the dates they wanted but he was very good and told them no. I'm sure they're blaming me anyway as I swear they think I'm some form of antichrist.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 14,851 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I'm now thinking of you as like the baby in The Incredibles, every so often you burst into flames
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 28th Mar 19, 10:19 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Redo, that's what it feels like at times when I lose my temper.

Been AWOL again as too lazy to update.

DS's skin has cleared up again but still unsure why he gets these flare ups every so often. Still moisturising & avoiding bubble bath etc for now.

My 0% CC has now been cleared. Only 3 loans to go now & one of those will be paid off in May. Making OP's to the highest loan as it also has the higher interest rate and hoping to reduce the term too. Going to try to use my survey money for this.

My sungold tomato seedlings and sweet peas are looking good, just hoping for no more frost so I can get them out into the greenhouse. Have a few tumbling Tom seedlings now too & we have put our seed potatoes into their bags in the garden.

Need to try & do a bit of housework today as the place is a mess again. No motivation atm for tidying but the mess is annoying me.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 28th Mar 19, 3:13 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Forced myself to move & hoovered the whole house then cleaned the bathrooms. Emptied the bathroom bins & even stuck the bath mats in the washing machine. Cleaned all the kitchen worktops & brushed the floor, it really needs cleaned but no chance of that with DS running about.

Got a washing hung up & then took DS out into the garden as the sun came out. Managed to pot up the hyacinth & violas we bought the other day too.

Forgot to mention we took DS to B&Q the other day as we needed compost & he enjoyed looking at all the plants. We went into pets at home afterwards too and he had a great time looking at the rabbits, guinea pigs, rats & hamsters. He wasn't very interested in the fish though.

I need to wrap some birthday presents later for my sister & my niece as they share a birthday. Also need to wrap presents for 2 friend's children, their birthdays have passed but just haven't had a chance to see them.

Have ordered a paddling pool for DS for the summer, being organised & optimistic that we will have some sun. I had a £10 voucher from surveys so it only cost £8 "real" money.

Looking at buying a playhouse for the garden as DS's main birthday present. I think he would like it but cheapest one I've seen is £130 which isn't exactly a small amount. I've already got a toy & a sand and water play table for his birthday so he wouldn't need anything else if we buy the playhouse.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thinking of putting DS into nursery for one day a week as he'll be 2 soon & I think he would enjoy the social side of it. He needs to be around children of a similar age more often.

It's not a "need" as such as we mostly have the child care covered & obviously it will cost us some money but I think it would be good for him. Already have a nursery in mind but need to organise a visit & obviously see if they would take him once a week/have spaces available. Hoping to do this in the next few weeks as DH has some annual leave.

Got out into the garden the other day with DH & DS and it was lovely when the sun was shining. DH dug out a small area for some more raspberry canes, don't know if they'll do anything but worth a try. We also put DS's sand & water table together and he had great fun playing with it. He was intrigued with the sand & kept trying to eat it.

I had a nice Mother's Day as DS & the cats () bought me cards & a present each. DH made a nice breakfast & dinner for me as well.

DS is starting to say more words now, his favourite is obviously "NO!" but he says Daddy quite a lot too. Mum has only been used once or twice, he usually just grunts at me. He also likes the words "Mmm, cake". and asked for it for breakfast the other day.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have had a lazy few days, need to try and be more structured when I'm not at work. It's not as if I don't have a million things to sort out in the house.

Today so far I'm still in pjs but have at least got chilli in the slow cooker for dinner. Will make some baked potatoes later to go with it & have asked DH to bring sour cream in.

The cats like the smell of the chilli in the slow cooker so have to keep an eye on them as wouldn't put it past the Siamese to try & knock the lid off to get to it. He recently worked out a technique to open the small food waste bin we keep in the utility room so he could see if there was anything he wanted to eat in there. He'll be 11 this year & seems to get more crafty as time goes on.

Need to tie my sungold tomato seedlings onto their supports as they have shot up again. Planted some cucumber, courgette, radish & beetroot seeds yesterday. Hope this cold weather bogs off soon so I can move my bigger seedlings into the greenhouse & plant my sweet peas in the front garden. The potatoes are growing in their bags so they were covered over again yesterday. Need to think about chitting the main crop potatoes soon.

Had my twin nieces over yesterday as they're off school for the Easter holidays & my sister was working. They were good with DS & generally not a bother although they didn't stop bickering all day.

Need to stick at least one washing on today & try to do some hoovering and tidying. DS is running around with my slippers on but at least he's dressed and not in pjs. Oh scratch that he's now put his wellies on.

I'm 10p off cashing out with OP - so annoying.

• Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 6th Apr 19, 12:51 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Have had a lazy few days, need to try and be more structured when I'm not at work. It's not as if I don't have a million things to sort out in the house.

Today so far I'm still in pjs but have at least got chilli in the slow cooker for dinner. Will make some baked potatoes later to go with it & have asked DH to bring sour cream in.

The cats like the smell of the chilli in the slow cooker so have to keep an eye on them as wouldn't put it past the Siamese to try & knock the lid off to get to it. He recently worked out a technique to open the small food waste bin we keep in the utility room so he could see if there was anything he wanted to eat in there. He'll be 11 this year & seems to get more crafty as time goes on.

Need to tie my sungold tomato seedlings onto their supports as they have shot up again. Planted some cucumber, courgette, radish & beetroot seeds yesterday. Hope this cold weather bogs off soon so I can move my bigger seedlings into the greenhouse & plant my sweet peas in the front garden. The potatoes are growing in their bags so they were covered over again yesterday. Need to think about chitting the main crop potatoes soon.

Had my twin nieces over yesterday as they're off school for the Easter holidays & my sister was working. They were good with DS & generally not a bother although they didn't stop bickering all day.

Need to stick at least one washing on today & try to do some hoovering and tidying. DS is running around with my slippers on but at least he's dressed and not in pjs. Oh scratch that he's now put his wellies on.

I'm 10p off cashing out with OP - so annoying.
    Originally posted by sashybo
    Its not a criticism but every time i read your diary i feel hungry lol

I am miles away on one poll, how are you getting on with the surveys???
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 11th Apr 19, 1:53 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Scott, I think I must be food obsessed, sorry.

I've been a bit lazy with surveys recently, need to try & do some more. Have been checking PA & doing the odd p!necone survey when they appear. About 900 points off cashing out on Yougov which will be a handy £50 but that will probably take a while!

Looks like my beetroot, radish & courgette seeds are germinating but no luck so far with the cucumbers. Hoping they're just being a bit slow. The weather is still all over the place, some lovely sunny days but the air is still freezing cold. Got a full washing out & dried the other day though. The clothes smell lovely when they've been out on the line & DS had fun running in and out of the washing.

DH is on his last day of work today for 3 weeks or so, he has annual leave and has used some lieu days. I only have 3 shifts then I'm also on annual leave - working 2 in a row starting tomorrow then off for a week before working the last one (using lieu days in between).

Glad DH will be off as he's been very tired & grumpy due to his shifts recently. We have a few things to sort out around the house & garden and want to take DS on a few days out.

There is a farm/petting zoo place not too far away that has loads of play areas as well as animals and I think DS will love it. We also need to take him swimming as I think he would enjoy it & I'm hoping it's something DH can do with DS so they can spend time together without me. DS is a bit of a mummy's boy at the moment & poor DH feels a bit left out at times.

Had my friends up visiting the other day with their kids, a 7yo, a 2yo & a 7 week old. DS just stuck to me like glue most of the time & watched the 2yo play with all his toys. There was a tussle over the Iggle Piggle doll though as DS loves it & he wasn't happy at my friend's DS playing with it.

The 7yo was quite funny as he was mystified at the toddler behaviour. He petted my old cat who took a liking to him but big cat was no way coming down from his cat tree with more than one toddler about. My friend's 2yo is used to dogs so was screaming & overexcited about seeing the cats who obviously ran away!

Looks like the outlaws may be visiting end of the month/start of May for a few days. MIL was complaining that they can't make their social plans because they don't have a date to come & visit us. How shocking that they can't arrange visits with all their other retired friends due to us actually having to work!

She also keeps asking if DS is toilet trained yet - he's not even 2 until June! He's nowhere near ready imo, not that I'm an expert or anything but this seems to be her new stupid obsession & will no doubt get questioned over it constantly when they visit.

Have had a boring day just doing housework, hoovered the whole house & did some dusting and tidying upstairs but that's about it.

• Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 12th Apr 19, 1:19 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Hay its not a criticism what you make sounds lovely xx
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Apr 19, 7:09 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Iím so annoyed with my DH right now, heís just been so selfish and doesnít even seem bothered at how heís made me feel.

Apparently itís not enough that heís getting to F off for 3 (3!) sodding days on his own to visit his friend but he *has* to leave at half 7 on a Sunday morning before DS is awake & after Iíve worked 2 late shifts. Apparently itís to ďbeat the trafficĒ but there was no discussion with me about it (as obviously I would have wanted him to leave later so he could actually spend some time with me & his son before he left for 3 bloody days).

So when I said this and asked when do I ever get to F off on my own for 3 days (clue: never) he said ďOh Iíll watch him any time you want to go outĒ Thatís not the point! Apart from the fact pretty much all of my friends have children too & canít just swan off for 3 days.

I even cried because Iím so tired and have 3 full days on my own with DS on top of all the housework. I probably wonít see anyone because theyíre all at work & this is after DH working 7 days when I was pretty much on my own with DS again.

He didnít even bother, just shrugged & left! For 3 days. Iím so angry & heís not even interested. Oh yeah the best bit was ďIíll FaceTime you both laterĒ Oh wow really, thatís so good of you.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    Still pretty annoyed at DH. Feeling really drained as he woke me up clattering about at half 6 and I was upset at his selfishness after talking to him and couldn't get back to sleep properly.

Most of the time he's pretty good but just does stupid things that are so thoughtless.

Have cleaned the bathrooms, cleaned out the litter trays (DH now owes me about 3 weeks worth of this as we usually take turns to do the big clean every week & he hasn't done it the last 3 times because he "forgets" and I have to nag him like I'm his mum to get him to do it) put a washing on & will hopefully be able to hang it out and get another washing done.

Want to go through my duvet sets & tidy them up/possibly relegate a set to the guest room bed. Like the idea of folding the duvet sets up inside one of the pillowcases to keep everything together & tidy.

Need to go through DS's old clothes & see if there are any I can put in the charity bag. Have had 2 through the door for collection on Tuesday so would be good if I could get at least a bags worth decluttered out of the house.

A couple of courgette seedlings have popped up so need to pot them on. Think my chilli seedlings have stunted as they don't seem to be getting any bigger.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Apr 19, 11:12 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    sashybo
    So I did a bit of decluttering but didn't get the charity bag out, will do it next time I get one through the door, we usually get them once every week or two.

Managed to sort out my duvet sets & fold each one into a pillowcase of the set. I realised how rubbish I am at folding though as it took a few attempts to get the fitted sheets & duvet covers folded to the right size. DS was rolling about in the loose sheets though & kept getting stuck.

The folded sets look so much neater in the ottoman at the end of the bed. I used some am@zon vouchers from surveys to buy a new fitted sheet & plain pillowcases to go with a new duvet set I'd bought as well. Just got white as the duvet set is yellow & white.

I took DS to the big park yesterday & he was walking about on his reigns saying hiya to all the dog walkers. He loves dogs. We fed the swans and ducks peas and sweetcorn which they seemed to enjoy. They were all following us round the pond hoping for more.

The trouble started when DS wanted to go the opposite way to where we were headed. Queue lots of screaming/rolling on the ground & refusing to walk. I had to carry/drag him halfway round to get back towards the car. He was absolutely determined he wanted to go in the opposite direction. I was exhausted as he was a dead weight! Had to stop every so often & just let him roll around on the ground whilst people walked by. He's discovered he can say no - I'm not sure I like him getting a mind of his own.

DH is obviously feeling guilty & has decided to come home a day early. He said he's missing DS too much.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,427Posts Today

4,112Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin