Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,831Posts
    • 20,805Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - 11,167 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off 53,865
    Loan 1449.61, CC 0% BT 615, Car loans 21,052.15

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 35
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Did 20 mins of yoga, will try my best to keep it up as I do enjoy it. Had a nice shower & just relaxing on the couch before bed.

Got most of my stuff organised for work tomorrow, particularly the food I'm taking in as won't have much time when I get back from playgroup before going to work. There are quite a few road closures near the town centre which is causing crazy traffic so don't want to be late for work.

DS is sleeping well for now, hopefully he'll have a good night as he needs the rest. He barely slept at nap time, only 30 mins each time. Although he might have slept longer in his afternoon nap except for the delivery man who felt it was necessary to try & knock my door down whilst pressing the doorbell a million times. Cue a crying baby being startled out of his nap.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have been too lazy to post again.

Lovely weather again today, DS has been enjoying getting out & playing in the grass (mostly eating grass actually ).

Have hoovered the living room & did the big clean of the cat litter trays so far today. Bathroom bins have been emptied & hand towels changed, washing put away also. Hoping to hoover upstairs & maybe clean the bathrooms.

We have our sweet peppers out in the greenhouse & courgettes out in their grow bag. Tomato plants are starting to get flowers. Potatoes & cucumbers looking good and have beetroot, radish & lettuce seedlings starting. Runner beans also doing well & still have the chilli plants in the bathroom just now.

I was working Friday, Saturday & last night on late shift and back in again on early shift on Friday. Still not got rostered shifts so just telling them which days I can work.

Got another 50 cheque through from a survey company and cashed in points for 5 from another. Paid the 5 off the BT CC, will probably split the 50 between the loans once it's cleared. Not far off the payout on 0nepoll too.

• Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 16th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Have been too lazy to post again.

Lovely weather again today, DS has been enjoying getting out & playing in the grass (mostly eating grass actually ).

Have hoovered the living room & did the big clean of the cat litter trays so far today. Bathroom bins have been emptied & hand towels changed, washing put away also. Hoping to hoover upstairs & maybe clean the bathrooms.

We have our sweet peppers out in the greenhouse & courgettes out in their grow bag. Tomato plants are starting to get flowers. Potatoes & cucumbers looking good and have beetroot, radish & lettuce seedlings starting. Runner beans also doing well & still have the chilli plants in the bathroom just now.

I was working Friday, Saturday & last night on late shift and back in again on early shift on Friday. Still not got rostered shifts so just telling them which days I can work.

Got another 50 cheque through from a survey company and cashed in points for 5 from another. Paid the 5 off the BT CC, will probably split the 50 between the loans once it's cleared. Not far off the payout on 0nepoll too.
    Originally posted by sashybo
    Same re me on one poll its about 2.90 for me yay.
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 73.22 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 432.09
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 19th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Scott I'm now 5p off payout & haven't seen a survey for a few days now.

My sister took DS for the afternoon on Thursday so I managed to do 30 mins of yoga & have a shower in peace. She said he was great & didn't cry once. He loves getting out & about in the nice weather.

Was working early shift yesterday & back Monday/Tuesday. Went to Mr Al's after work, found frozen whitebait which we had for dinner & it was really tasty. Only 2ish as well.

Might go into town for a bit with my mum & nieces, DS would enjoy getting out in the sun too.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 20th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Had a nice afternoon in the garden at my mum's with DS & my nieces. DS had his factor 50 on & we tried to keep him in the shade most of the time but he was crawling about the grass having great fun. My nieces helped him with his lunch & then kept him entertained for most of the time. They were playing police chases with police baby in his police pram. DS loved it & was just laughing the whole time.

I helped my mum build her plastic greenhouse & it's quite a good size and seems quite good quality. Hopefully it won't blow away. She has moved the tomato plant I gave her in there as it's too tall for her kitchen windowsill now. It already has a wee tomato on it.

I managed to get sunburn on part of my left arm & foot but not anywhere else. Annoyed with myself for not putting more sun cream on. I find I'm always more careful abroad with sun cream than at home which is silly but I suppose it's because we don't get much of it here so I don't expect to get sunburn. Luckily DS was fine as I'm paranoid about him in the sun.

Today is quite dull & meant to rain later, quite a bit cooler too but not cold which is good. Have got a washing in & have chopped veg up for leek & potato soup so will do that later. Might try & get on the cross trainer after DS has his nap.

I ordered a 1 tog sleeping bag for DS in the size up but it's so ridiculously big I could probably wear it as a dress. Will take it back to try & exchange it for the smaller size if they have it in stock. He moves about so much at night that blankets just don't stay on. I can do that on my break at work tomorrow.

• Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 23rd May 18, 12:18 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    I am about a 1 pound off I think its so slow one poll gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Jun 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have been too lazy to update again.

Weather has been lovely but very humid for the last few days which made all of us a bit grouchy & made it difficult for poor DS to sleep. We had to put a fan in the hall outside his room & he was just in his vest.

It was DS's first birthday on Friday, can't believe how quickly a year has gone by. We had a wee family party for him on the Saturday & he loved seeing all of his cousins. The weather was lovely & sunny so they were all running about the garden (well DS was crawling).

We got him a mini wooden kitchen which is also a walker, a slide & a pop up tunnel. He's not sure about the slide or tunnel but likes the kitchen. My mum bought him a baby doll & he is fascinated with it, big smiles as soon as he saw it.

I was weighed at an appointment with the nurse & was shocked at what I weigh, need to lose about a stone & a half. I'm going to have to get into a better routine with exercise & eat better.

DH & I took DS to the park this afternoon & walked for about half an hour/45 mins, taking turns with the pram. It was through the woods & next to a gorge so up & down hills and a bit more challenging, especially with a pram. DS enjoyed seeing everything, especially the dogs that were being walked.

I'm going to try and do some yoga tonight after DS is in bed, I have been so lazy as feeling tired all the time.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Jun 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 11,899 Thanks
    redofromstart
    1 already? Doesn't the time fly by? I liked mine much better once they got to hat age and started talking.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Jun 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi redo, yes it's the quickest year ever. I actually felt a bit sad that my wee baby is now a toddler!

I can't believe how much he's changed in a year. His wee personality is definitely coming out more. He already hates the word No & does dramatic fake crying if he gets told off.

He also keeps telling me things with a very serious face but of course I have no idea what he's saying. He can point to the cats if you ask where they are but when DH asked where's mummy he also pointed at the cats.

He was flirting with loads of people in Mr Al's last week, makes it difficult to get round the place as so many people want to talk to him after he insists on making eye contact & giving them big toothy smiles.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Jun 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    I managed to get my yoga done the other night, did about 35 mins & enjoyed it, planning on doing at least 30 mins every second night. I also walked down to my mum's with DS in the pram which is around 30 mins so a good walk.

Have re-started logging my food in MFP as it stops me eating so many biscuits. Well it makes me think a bit more before just stuffing my face anyway.

Going to go on the cross trainer shortly for at least 10 mins, depending on a) how unfit I am & b) how grumpy DS gets. Yoga later after DS is in bed.

My friend & her DS are coming to visit later for a while so DS will enjoy that too. Have a washing in which I can hang out later & need to do a quick hoover.

DS is terrorising the cats at the moment, when they run away he chases them & thinks it's a great game. They know not to hang about if he starts touching them as he pulls ears, tails etc. Of course I try to keep an eye on them but he sidles up when I'm not looking. The cats are so tolerant but I'm trying to teach DS to be gentle & not to grab them.

Back at work on Friday/Saturday and need to buy quite a few toiletries/cleaning things from the bargain shops on my break and need to exchange an outfit that DS got for his birthday that's too small.

• Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 6th Jun 18, 10:52 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Hi Sashy have you hit your onepoll payout yet???

How are you finding the yoga??
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Jun 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Scott, yes I finally hit payout but still waiting on the money. Only up to 3 now, it seems a lot quieter atm but maybe I'm not checking it enough.

I always enjoy the yoga & find it helps my posture a lot, just need to try & do it regularly.

Made it onto the cross trainer earlier & managed 12 mins which I'm reasonably pleased with.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 12th Jun 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have had a busy week, worked 3 days in a row, including my first Sunday in over a year. Get paid overtime for Sunday working plus a book on allowance so it's worth doing when I can. Was out for nearly 12 hours on the Sunday as took my mum shopping after work as she doesn't drive.

Was exhausted after 3 days at work though, especially as DH was working late shift on 2 of the days so I was up at 5am for work, home by half 2 & getting DS handed over as DH left for work. I'm sure I'll get used to it but tiring atm.

In good news I'm keeping up logging food in MFP & it is stopping me from eating as much rubbish. I'm doing some form of exercise nearly every day and have lost 1lb already.

Cashed out 20 from PA & 5 & 10 from 2 other survey companies yesterday. 10 am@zon voucher also received through from SB which went towards a seat for DS that can be strapped to dining chairs as a sort of portable highchair, mostly for when we visit the outlaws next month for a few days. DH also had a 10 voucher so it only cost 5. I got another 10 am@zon voucher and used that towards part of my mum's birthday present (rhubarb & ginger gin liqueur).

Will use the survey cash to pay off the debt, 5 to the CC & 20 to the first loan I'm overpaying.

Managed to steam clean my kitchen flooor yesterday after trapping DS in the travel cot (he wasn't amused). Then cleaned the bathrooms & got a washing out on the line too.

The garden is looking good, we have some cucumbers, courgette & tomatoes appearing and the radishes are ready. DS really enjoys radish.

Taking DS for the next round of immunisation jags today & dreading it. Also back to work for another 2 shifts from tomorrow.

• OnwardAndUpward81
    • By OnwardAndUpward81 12th Jun 18, 9:43 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    OnwardAndUpward81
    Congratulations on the pregnancy! Good luck with it all and maintaining financially focused, you've done the right thing by posting here at this time xx
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 12th Jun 18, 9:48 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Your doing well on surveys Sashybo I am impressed.

btw can you grow me some sweet potato in your garden? I am buying 2 kg of it a week lol

So what sort of stuff are you eating in your diet?
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 12th Jun 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi OnwardAndUpward, thanks for popping in. The baby is now 1 and although the debt has increased, I think we didn't do too badly with baby spends, more that we needed bigger cars and took out loans for those. Overpaying one at a time with survey money etc so will get there eventually.

Hi Scott, trying my best to do surveys during the day if I'm at home with DS. He's happy pottering about & a good boy so can do short bursts.

That's a lot of sweet potato! Have never grown it actually. To be honest diet wise I'm just cutting down on biscuits/chocolate/crisps and trying to eat smaller portions. Need to eat more protein & cut the carbs back a bit too but don't want to go full deprivation or I won't stick at it.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 18th Jun 18, 9:41 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Back again, rubbish at updating atm.

Took DS for his injections last week & he was smiling away at the nurses making them feel bad before they gave him the jags. 4 injections, 2 in each arm, I hate it. Poor wee soul. He recovered within 5 mins but I was traumatised. He was grumpy for a few days afterwards, not helped by the ongoing teething. At least no more immunisations until he's 3 now.

Weighed myself & have lost another 1lb so that's good, hoping to lose 1lb a week until I've lost the stone & a half that needs to go.

Keeping up some form of exercise most days, did 25 mins of yoga tonight after DS was in bed.

Have ordered another 10 am@zon voucher from SB, DH & I are going to save them up for new electric toothbrushes as ours are losing charge really quickly now so will need to be replaced soonish.

Went out on Saturday night to my friend's house, there were just the 3 of us but we had a Chinese takeaway & a couple of drinks and it was a nice night. Good to get out of the house on my own too!

Made Redo's Thai green curry last week & it was a big hit with DH & DS (and me!) so will definitely make it again.

Made chicken breasts stuffed with garlic & herb roule and wrapped in Serrano ham with mashed potatoes & green beans for DH's Father's Day dinner & rhubarb crumble for dessert. He was working all day so wanted him to have a nice dinner when he got home. He was pretty pleased with it.

I went shopping at the end of last week in Primarni. I spent a lot of money. To be fair most of it was things I needed like pyjamas & socks, so it wasn't wildly exciting stuff, just more than I wanted to spend *cough* 80 *cough*. 10 of it was stuff for DS so that will come out of his spending account, probably 8 was stuff for DH & I can put at least 10 of my survey money towards it too. I got a couple of long line t-shirts to replace those annoying tops that ride up every time I move which is a bonus. Poor DS was so bored though, just fed him snacks the whole way round.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 19th Jun 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have just paid 40 of survey money off the z0pa loan which takes the monthly payment to 190 from 194 (as the term can't be shortened by overpayments but the monthly payment reduces instead).

Have also transferred 20 to DH to pay off the bigger car loan, this is the next target once the z0pa monthly payment is down to 180. The z0pa loan will finish in April next year. That will be the last of the 20k debt we had to take on due to negative equity from our flat when selling to move to our current house 4 years ago. So close to being under 2k with it now.

The 0% CC should be paid off by March next year, minimum payments are about 20 p/m & we're paying 100 atm so that it's cleared before the 0% runs out. That will be all the unexpected/uncovered by insurance vet bills cleared. This month's payment took us under 1k though.

We'll then be able to concentrate on overpaying the car loans & hopefully cut the term, especially on the bigger one which is meant to be over 7 years.

DH is hopefully going to sell some more techie things soon & is planning on putting the money towards the bigger loan.

Can't wait until the z0pa loan & CC are gone as that will be 290 p/m that can be used for something else. Some of it will be used towards the remaining debt but most will probably be used to keep our joint account more solvent. 4 weekly pay plays havoc with our account as all the bills are monthly.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 27th Jun 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Need to get into a better routine posting here.

Worked late shift 2 days this week, one of which was an overtime shift & working early shift on Friday. Payday on Friday too. The O/T shift will be in the following pay so a bit extra for then.

DH & I managed to get enough vouchers to buy new electric toothbrushes and DH even managed to get 10 refunded after a mix up with the delivery date. Next thing I'm saving vouchers for is a small bookcase for DS's books downstairs as it's a bit of a riot near his toy box in the living room.

We're heading down to visit the outlaws next week so they're majorly excited at seeing DS for a few days. I'll not get near him.

I've managed to lose another 3lbs so 5lbs altogether now. Trying to do a bit of exercise every day, even just taking DS for a walk in his pram is obviously helping & logging what I'm eating definitely makes me think before eating too many biscuits.

Will try to post more regularly, still slogging on with the surveys. Worked out that I've already managed to get 150 worth of vouchers from SB this year, not looked at my other site totals though but could be a good motivator.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Had an interesting few days visiting the outlaws. MIL was being her usual crazy grabby self with DS, the poor boy couldn't get near me as she was always picking him up & saying "No, no come to gran" DS going through a bit of a clingy stage with me atm so not great as he was getting a bit upset at times.

I also got interrogated over childcare again by both MIL & FIL (separately!). MIL wanted to know exactly how often my mum watches DS. FIL didn't seem to believe that we were managing to cover childcare without paying for it but still was less crazy than MIL.

I thought MIL would have been wanting to take DS out to show him off or invite people over but that didn't happen. She never wants to introduce me to people for some reason, if DH visits on his own she takes him everywhere to meet everyone! DH & I went out for lunch one day & left DS with the outlaws and that was the only day she had people round to see DS. Weird.

They have also invited themselves up in September on a weekend when I'll be working the Friday Saturday & then the Monday Tuesday and were visibly pleased when I said I was working late shift that weekend. They drive me mad & I can't relax around them at all so maybe it's a good thing I'm working. Feel sorry for DH though as I know he feels similarly & they just emotionally bully him when I'm not there. MIL takes DS off DH at every opportunity.

On the way back home we dropped in to see DH's aunt & uncle (much more normal people). They have invited us to stay overnight with them next time we're down south which would be nice.

DS mostly enjoyed his stay but the heat was bothering him & of course there were no curtains in his room so he was waking at half 5 every morning. We moved him into our room as it was cooler & a bit darker but he still woke up at half 5 rather than his usual 7/half 7.

So I've arrived back from our "break" even more tired & stressed than I was before we went. It was truly hard work & I just can't figure MIL & FIL out. It's hard and a bit sad that I've been with DH for 15 years and I still can't relax around his mum & dad. FIL is horrified if we're left alone & he has to make conversation & MIL has just gone crazy on me since DS was born, she seems weirdly jealous!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,847Users online

Martin's Twitter