Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,862Posts
    • 20,953Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £11,297 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £54,907
    Loan £1268.40, CC 0% BT £475, Car loans £20,367.87

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 34
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 19th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Rachel24
    I always love reading your diary sashybo you always do so much! Xx
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 20th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Rachel, most days I feel like I get nothing done but yesterday was quite busy. It means I can relax a bit before work today, DH has done the cat litter & will do the hoovering before he picks up his mum from the airport this afternoon.

Typically it's lovely & sunny today because I'm working.

All I've done this morning is have a shower, open up the greenhouse vents, fold DS's stuff up from the TD, stick the towels in the TD & then eat breakfast. DH got DS up & fed and has taken him for his nap now.

I had a wee extra half hour in bed & both cats came up to join me.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 21st Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Work was fine yesterday & I got to leave early so was home before 10pm.

Used survey money to pay another £40 off the z0pa loan & £5 off the cat CC. The monthly payment for the z0pa loan is now £197 so under £200 (originally £224). I'm hoping to make a few more overpayments to take the monthly payment to £180/175 as it will help the budget a bit, not much but a bit. That loan only has a year to run & then it will be gone.

Decided to do small cash outs from one company (£5) & pay that off the cat CC. The rest of my survey money will go to the z0pa loan until I get the monthly payment down & then will go towards DH's big loan as we can lower the interest paid & cut the term of that loan too.

Got out into the garden this morning with DH whilst MIL took DS for his nap. I planted the sweet peas out in the front against the trellis, hopefully we don't have any cold snaps. Also repotted 2 cucumber seedlings & 2 runner bean seedlings and moved the beetroot seedlings into a big container that can stay in the greenhouse for now.

Have planted some more runner bean seeds as realised we planted 3-4 per container last year & I'd had a baby brain moment & only planted 2 seeds. So 6 more planted. Need more compost & then we might plant some lettuce seeds etc.

DH cut the grass front & back, weeded the borders & used the pressure washer to clean the last bit of the patio. The garden looks so much better.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 22nd Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    We now have a courgette seedling appearing in the propagator.

Went out to get more compost today & also got some violas, upright lobelia & verbena. Will plant them out in the next few days.

DH made lasagne & my mum came up for dinner with us & MIL. We all had a nice time & DS enjoyed being the centre of attention.

Did a few surveys & cashed out £11 from one site. Ordered the slide for DS's birthday & it only cost us £14.99 as had £20 of vouchers. Have also ordered a pop up play tunnel for DS, it was only £8 & paid for with a voucher as well.

Working again tomorrow, still have no idea of what my job share shift pattern is going to be. Will speak to the shift manager as I need to know so that I can plan ahead either for childcare or to arrange shift swaps if I can't get DS looked after. I won't hold my breath for them knowing though. *rolling eyes forever*

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 24th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    So obviously work were no help whatsoever with having any clue about my new shift pattern so I just told them I'll let them know which days I can do every week until they get organised as they're not giving me any notice to get childcare set up. So working two days next week when DH is off.

MIL behaved on her weekend visit & loved her time with DS. I was ready for her to go home though, just because it's difficult for me to live with anyone.

We picked up the slide for DS today & also a jacket in 12-18 month size from the Next sale reduced from £26 to £8. Also picked up a clothing order for DS from Mr A's which included a yellow rain jacket in the next size up for DS, super sweet. Also got bigger size joggers & some romper suits in case we ever get a sunny day again. Need to get him a sun hat too.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 24th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 12,406 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I really like the 'foreign legion' type sunhats for the boys, with the roll down thing that covers the back of their necks. They rarely stayed on for more than five minutes but at least I felt that I had tried.

That's really unfair of work, how not to make you feel welcome back. Is there a way of checking they have actually sorted out you being paid which would really add to the negative impact.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 25th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi redo, yes I'm sure I saw a hat similar to that in Mr M's, just need to take DS with me to see what size will fit his big head (takes after his dad obviously ). I doubt DS will keep the hat on for long either.

Work are totally disorganised, not helped by our departmental re-organisation & our rostering being passed to managers who don't really know how to do it. We sign in every day, so I'll do that & will just mark my hours down on another sheet & the info gets sent to payroll every week so I should get paid. Might have to speak to the happy people at HR.

In childcare news, my sister has offered to help out during the summer if we need her as she's off college.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 25th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS is currently refusing to sleep unless I hold him, think his teeth are hurting.

Have given him as much medication as he can have & tried cuddling then putting into cot but he only seems to sleep for 10 mins if I'm lucky. Longest stretch in the cot since half 7 has been half an hour. He's pretty much been awake since 8 now & still crying. Losing the will to live. DH is working late shift & won't be home until after midnight.

In better news I managed to get on the cross trainer this morning for 10 mins. Remembered how exhausting it is when you're unfit. Was going to do some yoga tonight but don't think a screaming baby in the background would be very relaxing.

Got into the garden for half an hour earlier & repotted the courgette seedling. Also covered over the potatoes again, they are really coming on. Potted some of the violas, verbena & lobelia, will try & plant the rest in the front garden tomorrow.

Got DS's washing done & put away today but that was it housework wise except for usual dishes etc.

Redeemed £10 @mazon voucher from SB yesterday which I forgot to mention. Nothing much else survey wise.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 26th Apr 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have redeemed another £10 @mazon voucher from SB today. Also got a £50 cheque through the post from one of my survey companies which I wasn't expecting. Will have to decide which debt to pay it towards.

DS finally fell asleep last night after 2 hours & didn't wake up until 7 this morning. He definitely has more teeth pushing through as can see some of them now, poor sausage.

Have arranged a babysitter (my sister) for a week on Sunday to go out for lunch with DH. We got a good deal for a 5 course tasting menu for £39 for two. We will probably have a couple of drinks afterwards too.

DH is off work today to go to a beer festival, lucky him. Nothing really planned for DS & I except going down to my mum's to get her cats back in the house & feed them as she's on holiday.

Feeling tired & a bit fed up, like I haven't had a break for ages. DH just seems to arrange things for his days off & goes out all the time & I'm left at home with DS.

I know he would just say well arrange something with your friends then but it's not that easy to get a babysitter & fit in everyone else's needs (babysitters/shifts/can only do weekends etc).

Going back to work is going to mean more juggling as I've got to try & find childcare/work on DH's days off so he can watch DS. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just not looking forward to all the extra mental work of "Oh if I work that day who can take DS" "Maybe so-and-so could keep him for a few hours & then DH can pick him up" etc etc. Childminder/nursery no use due to the hours we work plus the expense.

I know that DH is meant to be going on a day out in a couple of weeks with his friend but it's one of the only days I can work that week so I asked him to find out what time he would be finishing. I was thinking of asking my brother to take DS for a couple of hours then DH could pick him up on the way home. When I asked DH about it he said "Oh I've just asked if we can re-arrange it because I don't want to have to rush about" Argh that's not what I asked you to do & we're probably going to have a similar issue when you want to re-arrange it. I didn't say cancel the whole bl**dy thing. He doesn't seem to get that we have to arrange things around DS a lot of the time. Plus it's hardly rushing around asking him to pick his son up on the way home. More like he means he won't be able to go the pub afterwards.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 26th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 12,406 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Wait until he refers to looking after his son as 'babysitting'. Have a suitable weapon handy. I've never got why the children seem to be fairly commonly by default mothers problem, and fairly commonly mothers cost.

Maybe next time he says he is out on a day off ask him what he has done about arranging cover for DS?

Doing better than me on SBs!
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 26th Apr 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Oh redo, if he ever refers to looking after DS as "babysitting" there will be pain. I think it's just a societal "norm" thing with the assumption that childcare arrangements are the mother's "job". Because we don't have enough to do. My MIL always asks what I'm doing about childcare for DS when I go back to work as though her son doesn't have any involvement.

DH is generally good in that he takes turns with looking after DS, does his share of the housework & most of the cooking but he still doesn't get it.

The majority of the crushing responsibility of everything to do with DS is mine because it's assumed that's what mums do. In a way nothing has really changed for him. He just does what he wants because he thinks he "deserves" it after working all week (and he does but so do I!), after all you're at home looking after the baby & that's not a real job. (To be fair DH does let me know he appreciates how much hard work DS can be). Even when you're back at work you're only part time. Meanwhile for you everything has changed. Everything. Your body, your career, your whole life. My DH tries his best but he just doesn't get it, I don't know if he can!

It's the mental load thing of having to think & plan ahead all the time and I'm dreading it when I go back to work. How anyone works full time with kids & stays sane I don't know, they obviously have better coping skills than me!

redo I might just do that to see what he says. Sometimes I feel like his mum as well, always having to remind him if we're going somewhere/have an appointment/I'm working. The scary part is my DH is a lot better than a lot of other men I know.

I don't know how I managed that many SB's, must have got some good surveys recently.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 26th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Oh dear, that last post was a bit poor me. I know I'm actually very lucky in a lot of ways.

DS in bed, just hoping he stays asleep & we don't have another 2 hour screaming session tonight.

Going to try & relax for a bit & then try to get an early-ish night. DH is still MIA at the beer festival.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 27th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Only an hour of screaming from DS last night. I'm so tired & have a headache although he slept pretty well after the teething pain. Being a terrible mother & leaving DS to play in front of the teletubbies whilst I lie on the couch & feel sorry for myself.

DH was ill this morning which is quite unusual as he doesn't usually get hangovers. He was out drinking for about 12 hours yesterday. He's recovered now though which is annoying as I feel awful & I wasn't the one out drinking.

Have done a couple of surveys & the big clean out of the cat litter trays so far today. Ordered more cat litter as down to 2 bags, will need to order cat food in the next few days too.

Also went down to feed my mum's cats & let them out for a while.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 28th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Did another 10 mins on the cross trainer this morning & then 25 mins of yoga for the first time in ages. I felt so much better after it, going to try & do yoga at least every second day.

DS still teething but last night's screaming was only 20 mins so hopefully the pain is getting a bit less.

DH working late shift tonight so fingers crossed DS sleeps well for me so I can relax a bit.

Housework has only been washing dishes & doing a washing so far, DH put it on and I hung it up. Need to get out into the garden again tomorrow as still have some flowers to plant. Have 4 runner bean seedlings & a cayenne chilli seedling in the propagator so will need to pot them too.

Looking after our twin nieces for a few hours tomorrow so might try and get to the park with them & DS if it's dry.

Cat food ordered yesterday along with a holiday shirt for my brother's birthday, it's pale yellow with palm trees, he's going to love it, not so sure about his girlfriend.

DS is currently obsessed with all types of brushes, he loves feeling the bristles. His favourite toy is the kitchen brush & pan, sadly he is still too wee to brush the floor for me.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 30th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Got out into the garden yesterday with our nieces to help out. Have 4 runner beans out in a pot with the frame for them to climb & 3 other seedlings in the greenhouse. 2 cucumber & 1 courgette seedling are also in the greenhouse. Have planted some more courgette seeds & also radish. Will need to get more compost as we used up the huge bag we bought last week already.

Also finally planted the last of the violas, verbena & upright lobelia in the front garden, so we have some in pots at the back & some in the front border.

Did my last day of cat-sitting for my mum & both cats were waiting to be let in & fed.

Have stuck a washing of DS's stuff on, need to go through his clothes AGAIN to see what he's grown out of. He has so many clothes & grows out of them so quickly.

Hoping to get out to the song & story group that I haven't taken DS to for ages. I think he'll enjoy it more now & be able to join in more so forcing myself to take him.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 30th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 15,898 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day Sashy
    x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 1st May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi W, thanks it was a lovely sunny day yesterday & DS and I were out and about for a change.

We went to the song & story group and whilst DS didn't cry, he wasn't very sure about it either. He did seem to enjoy it in the end and was flirting with the other mums, giving them big cheesy smiles. He was quite interested in the other babies and kept trying to touch them, especially the 10 week old baby next to us. Thankfully he didn't hit or nip him. Maybe all my demented screeching of "Be gentle, be gentle!!!" when he's trying to pull the cats fur out has penetrated. I doubt it though.

Afterwards we had a walk around town & then went to see my mum for the afternoon. I got a good amount of walking in as had parked the car halfway between home & town.

DH hung the washing out when he got home from work & went and bought more compost as well.

Today I'm not planning on too much, got a washing in so will hang it out if it stays dry.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 5th May 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Sorry have been a bit MIA, just been too tired/lazy to post.

Managed to do more on the cross trainer & some yoga on Tuesday & on Wednesday DH & I took DS to the park. DS promptly fell asleep in the pram so we had a walk around the park, probably 45 mins or so, the wind was freezing even though the sun was lovely. Worked a full early shift on Thursday which was fine except for the 5am alarm, so not used to that anymore. Went to Mr Al's for some shopping on the way home.

Yesterday I took DS to playgroup (finally ), it was ok, most people knew each other so it was a bit intimidating. I know one of the girls who run it (my DH works with her DH and they are quite friendly) so that helped as she spoke to me for a bit. The other girl who runs it did make sure to come and talk to me when she arrived as she didn't recognise me which was nice of her. A couple of the other mums spoke to me as well so it wasn't terrible, just a bit awkward. Hopefully it will get easier.

DS was fascinated by the other children and enjoyed watching them more than playing with the toys. I'll take him back next week as I think it will be good for him, he is quite a sociable wee boy.

DS also started crawling properly the other day out of nowhere! He is moving about super fast now though and getting interested in drawers and cupboards - mostly pulling everything out of them. Have to keep one eye on him at all times as he is so quick. I'm scared what will happen once he's walking!

Had my twin nieces after playgroup as my sister had to work and they were off school due to the bank holiday. They were fine for most of the afternoon except when they had a fight and fell out with each other. 9 year old girls arguing is not fun, no wonder my sister says they drive her mad at times.

DS was awake for 3/4 hours last night, just kept screaming. He would sleep for half an hour then wake again. I think he might have the cold I have (sore throat, dry tickly cough etc). He eventually slept from 2am until nearly 8am. I'm knackered.

Going out for lunch with DH tomorrow & my sister is watching DS. Hopefully he's feeling better both tonight and tomorrow.

Money wise we just got paid and are skint again so this month is going to be tight. Luckily lunch is already paid for as was an itison voucher, so just drinks to pay for.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have been rubbish at posting again, DS still not sleeping great & keeps waking up. He has a really runny nose so think the cold is bothering him. Have stuck the cot wedge under his mattress again to help with his nose/breathing.

Managed to get DS to have his daytime naps in his pram instead of me having to sit & hold him so that is some progress. I don't know if he'll ever nap in his cot to be honest.

Had a nice day out with DH on Sunday but DS refused to go to sleep for my sister, he does this with every babysitter! We have to come home & get him to sleep. Luckily he fell asleep within 5 mins for DH.

Had my hair cut yesterday by my sister for one of her college assessments so it's looking a lot tidier. She found a streak of silver through my hair though! I knew having children made you get grey hairs.

I made some minestrone soup today to use up some veg - have tried it with sweet potatoes but I'm not sure if it will work, not ate any of it yet.

Tomorrow I'm planning on making goulash/beef stew in the slow cooker. The recipe makes quite a lot so I can freeze some too. I need to get eggs & then can use up some of the 5 million black bananas that are in my freezer to make banana bread. I can make a double batch & take one into work on Friday.

I made up some more rice pudding for DS & froze it so that there's something easy in the freezer to give him. Still have quite a lot of the butternut squash curry that he likes in there too but need to make more dahl.

I think he would like samosas so might make some up & freeze them raw & we could shallow fry them once defrosted. He's really enjoying things like peas, sweetcorn & raisins/sultanas as he can pick each one up individually and examine it before eating.

Have been rubbish on the exercise front but will get back into it. I've definitely put some weight on so need to behave & start eating properly again. Probably why I'm starting to cook again, have been so tired & lazy recently.

Cashed out more SB for a £10 am@zon voucher & got £21 through from PA. Up to £22 on 0nepoll so won't be long until I can cash out.

Housework has been minimal whilst in my slump. Working late shift Friday & Saturday this week and need to take DS to playgroup on Friday morning. I was exhausted after it last week but a lot of that was probably emotional exhaustion as I really had to force myself to take him. I'm not good in new situations & get so nervous that I don't really talk and then people tend to think I'm stand-offish. I really don't want DS to feel like that, I want him to be confident.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    sashybo
    Tried the minestrone soup for lunch & it's quite nice with the sweet potato, I would make it again. Taking some into work tomorrow for lunch & some extra for my friend who is always feeding me.

Made a double batch of banana bread so can take one into work & have one at home to keep DH happy. This helped me to declutter 5 black bananas from the freezer, just 8 more to go. I keep buying bananas for DS but we never get through a whole bunch before they get too ripe. I like them when they're still slightly green so can't eat them when they're really ripe, bleurgh.

Also stuck my goulash/beef stew in the slow cooker, using up some beef from the freezer & sad veg in the fridge. DH & DS can have some tomorrow for dinner & I'll take some to work with a baked potato.

I need to chop up & freeze some leeks, a courgette, a green pepper & a butternut squash as they are looking a bit sad in the fridge. Chopping & freezing also helps to save time when making soup later which is where most of it will end up.

Two washings done today, one hung up inside & one outside, which DH did. DS's stuff all dried & put away. No other housework done apart from washing dishes & some cooking/baking as above. I did finally do my ironing last night, the pile had been lying for quite some time.

Hoping to do some yoga after DS goes to bed (just hope he sleeps well) & then have a shower. Going to playgroup then home then work tomorrow so won't have time then.

Have agreed shifts for next week with one of the managers at work but still no shift pattern in sight. I did see the manager above them & he said they're just waiting on some things being signed off.

I'm not really complaining at the moment as I'm just telling them which days I can do at the moment with childcare etc. DH has DS for my 2 late shifts this week & will have him one day next week and my mum is covering the other day.

I will need a pattern soon though so I can see how to cover childcare long term. I think we will be able to manage most weeks but there will be the odd clash or a few hours where we need someone to cover whilst DH is on the way to work & I'm on the way home or vice versa.

Just need to keep my fingers crossed that they won't screw up my next pay.

The runner beans are looking good, we have 7 plants out in their pots now, complete with frame to climb. Tomato plants and potatoes all seem to be doing well but everything seems to be slower than usual as spring was so late. We have 3 cucumber plants & 3 courgette plants as well as beetroot, radish, lettuce & spring onions in the greenhouse. The sweet pepper plants are still inside as are the chillies as still a bit small.

The honeysuckle is looking good on the back fence & the climbing rose also seems to be doing well.

Paid £30 of survey money off DH's loan & £10 off the BT CC.

Will need to get DS organised for bed shortly, just found him trying to pet big cat (currently trying to nap in DS's pram). Big cat was looking affronted at DS trying to touch him. DS was delighted that big cat didn't run away (must have been too comfy ).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin