Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,832Posts
    • 20,805Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - 11,167 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off 53,865
    Loan 1449.61, CC 0% BT 615, Car loans 21,052.15

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 32
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 3rd Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks redo, she survived the surgery but is still really ill and being kept overnight at the vets on a drip. They had to remove 6 inches of her small intestine. They did give us the option of PTS but as they had already opened her up I felt that we should give her a chance.

They're going to phone me in the morning, I hope it's good news, the vet did stress that it is very touch and go so she might not make it.

We both feel guilty that she managed to eat the silicone & that it damaged her so badly. Poor wee thing must have been suffering for the last few days. We thought she just had a scraped throat from bringing up the big bits of silicone.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 4th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 15,053 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Sorry to hear about little cat sashy. hope this morning brought good news xx
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: 0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - 158.500.00 (2017/2018 O/P 3491.79) PAYDBX 17 - 18,442.82
    PAYDBX 18 #006 3850.92/4000
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 11,899 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hoping little cat (and you) are ok, its so hard to judge what you should do and when
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Kirsty & redo,

Poor little cat survived the night & we thought she might make it but she died this afternoon.

I went to see her at the vets afterwards & she was all wrapped up in blankets with a wee jumper on. I know the vet & nurses did everything they could & gave her lots of love and cuddles before she went so I'm glad of that because she loved cuddles.

We're both feeling pretty sad just now, she was only 3 so very young to die and we really thought she could recover.

Old cat is very confused & down as little cat was his particular friend, he has already survived 2 other feline friends (cancer & kidney failure respectively). He is following me about everywhere. Big cat is sticking close to us & even sat on my knee earlier, which he hardly ever does, so think he knows something is wrong.

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 5th Apr 18, 6:53 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Aw sashybo so sorry to hear that :-( hope you're all okay. Xx
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 5th Apr 18, 7:26 AM
    • 4,476 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    So sorry to hear about little cat.

However you feel is the right way to feel - hope you and everyone else (including bigger cats) are ok today.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 11,899 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh no, I am so sorry to read that. So hard to cope with. particularly the distress of the others.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 5th Apr 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all,

Thanks for your kind messages, just feeling very tired & flat today. DH got up and found all the cat blankets & bedding all over the floor where the cats sleep, we think that old cat pulled them all out looking for little cat. Could just cry at the thought of it, I always wonder if they know or not. He is very down and not himself and big cat is just confused.

Wondering if her more aggressive behaviour recently i.e. biting me so badly my finger got infected, was a symptom & that she was in pain. We should have taken her to the vet when we suspected she'd eaten things she shouldn't have. So hard. She seemed ok but cats are so good at hiding symptoms/illness that it's difficult to tell when they're not right, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Need to organise getting her body dealt with, we cremated our previous 2 cats so will probably do the same with little cat. Will probably add another 100 or so to the final bill. Settled with the vet yesterday for 700, will sort out a BT to my CC soon. A bit less than I thought actually, it's always hard to have a big bill but you don't mind so much if the cat is still alive at the end of it. This time we have a big bill & no cat. Also need to arrange collecting her cat carrier, heat pad & bedding, will probably do that next week.

I'm glad I went to see little cat's body to say goodbye. One of our previous girls had to be PTS with kidney failure after being at emergency/out of hours vet & then transferred to our own vet the next day. As it was an emergency we weren't with her (didn't want her to suffer) but I've always regretted not being with her or at least going to see her body and that was years ago now. Still very upsetting.

• Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 6th Apr 18, 7:28 AM
    • 4,476 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I think cats can experience grief just like humans, when we have unfortunately lost cats on the road outside we have brought their bodies in to the back garden for our other cats to see and sniff whereas when our cats have just gone missing the others wander about calling and looking for them.
    Its so sad to see.

I don't think you could have done any more for your little cat, logic says that cats would only chew and swallow what they can fit in their mouths which are tiny so you wouldn't have thought foreign objects would be big enough to cause issues whereas if it was a dog, well they swallow anything and everything and you would expect blockages, in fact one of DH's colleagues dog swallowed an old dishcloth and they didn't realise, it festered inside him until he was really poorly but by the time they opened him up his bowel was so infected there was nothing they could do.

I hope your other cats start feeling a bit better.

I agree that you need to see your cat if it has died and you are not with it, it helps bring closure.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Apr 18, 7:50 AM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,480 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sorry to hear about little cat Sashy

xx
    Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    chanie
    Sashy I!!!8217;m ever so sorry about little cat. I hope you all are okay.
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 1282.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all,

Thanks for your messages. Keep expecting to see little cat scurrying around the house or peeking her head out to see what we're doing, she was a nosey wee thing.

Cremation is adding nearly 200 to our huge bill. So we're using 140 that was in the cat account towards that & just BTing the 700 vet bill to my CC with 0% interest for a year. Will up the DD to 100 a month as we already have 700 on that card (400 of which is from old cat's dental surgery last year). Should be able to clear this within the 0% period but not a great feeling adding to the debt again.

Ordered another 10 am@zon voucher from SB the other day, will use that for something we need in the house (always something needed).

DH managed to leave a pen in one of his shirt pockets which then burst all over the washing. It was of course a white/lights wash, don't know if it will come out.

Went out for a quick lunch with friends yesterday. DS enjoyed himself & got on great with my friend's wee boy who is 3 months older. They shared a kid's meal as it was huge.

Might go & visit my mum later, she has my youngest niece today so would be good for DS.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Went to see my mum & niece, cue lots of crying from DS. He eventually calmed down & even smiled & played with his cousin.

At one point she decided he was in her way & pushed him. She then sat right in front of him so he started pushing her back away from him. All part of their learning & why he needs to go to playgroup after the holidays. My niece has a big sister & goes to nursery so more used to the rough & tumble than DS.

The only housework I managed today was trying to get ink stains out of everything in that washing. Nothing working, have ordered a stain devil for pens, let's hope it works. Also my basics of washing up etc. Have done the shredding I've been meaning to do for ages as well & emptied the bathroom bins.

Had to tie the tomato plants to their support sticks again as they have shot up & have added some for the sweet peppers & one of the chillies. Can't wait until it warms up a bit & can get everything out into the greenhouse. We can start planting our other seedlings then too.

Old cat & big cat have been having a few arguments & clouds of fur were flying earlier. Just a squabble though, nothing serious. I think they're missing little cat. Cat politics is very complicated so I don't know exactly what is going on with them.

EE I actually remember old cat crying & looking for the previous 2 female cats we lost within 6 months of each other (also his companions). I think he thought they were always in the other room as he would race out & search and then look all disappointed, it was awful. I think he knows that little cat isn't coming back now because he isn't looking for her after the beds/blankets scenario the night she died. He is still depressed though & wants to sit with me all the time.

• kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 8th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 15,053 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    So sorry Sashy! Sending lots of hugs xx
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: 0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - 158.500.00 (2017/2018 O/P 3491.79) PAYDBX 17 - 18,442.82
    PAYDBX 18 #006 3850.92/4000
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 8th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all,

Thanks Kirsty, hugs always appreciated.

Have had a fairly productive day for a change, managed to finally steam clean the kitchen floor, more important now as DS sits on the floor a lot & spins round (instead of crawling, which he can't seem to be arsed with) or goes backwards.

Have gathered all the cat blankets up & put them in the wash as they were filthy. Will put a drum clean cycle on afterwards. Another washing done & hung up earlier too. I cleaned the patio door which had cat nose prints all over it, yuck!

I made cheese & spinach muffins for DS, he had one for lunch & I had two and the rest went into the freezer. I also made tomato soup that I can use for dinner when DH is on late shifts.

Need to hoover tomorrow, get a washing of DS's stuff on & maybe clean the bathrooms if I have the energy.

Today I also ordered cat food as we are running low on their biscuits, so one less thing to remember. Need to remember to phone the vet & go in to get the cat carrier in the next few days too.

My sister has been meant to cut my hair a few times now & it hasn't happened. She seems to get annoyed that I want to make a firm plan - I can only do certain days because I need to get DS looked after by either DH or my mum.

I was going to go into college with her next week but my hair is such a mess now that I might just go & get it cut by my usual hairdresser & get my sister to tidy it up next month or something. She needs to cut layers in for an assessment but apparently there isn't a rush. If I go in next week I'll need to get up & out very early with DS to drop him at my mum's & be running about daft and I just can't be bothered.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Poor DS is teething again so had 2 hours of screaming & refusing to go back to sleep last night. Thankfully he slept 3 hours before that & another 7 or so afterwards so it could have been worse. DH is working horrible mid shifts, not early but not quite late so can't help much, he's on his sixth day in a row at work today & still tomorrow to go.

Nothing much achieved this morning apart from DS's washing done & thrown into the TD. Will hoover after lunch & see how DS is, if he's happy playing about I can get the bathrooms cleaned. He is being a cheeky monkey just now & keeps stealing my slippers as they have a bear face on them & he likes to play with them.

Going to try & do more surveys today as well. Working another KIT day on Wednesday early shift so might try & get my hair cut afterwards.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to pop out to the shops for milk & a couple of things before DH goes to work. Might drop into the vets for the cat carrier if I have time.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 11,899 Thanks
    redofromstart
    My purries like to wipe their noses on all of the windows too, preferably five minutes after I have cleaned them.

Its easy to forget just how exhausting smalls are at that age, particularly when they are teething. Hope you get a chance for a sit down.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th Apr 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Oh yes redo, it's cat law that they have to besmirch anything you have just cleaned. My cats like to stroll casually along the nice clean worktops in the kitchen literally as soon as I have finished wiping them.

DS was a bit grumpy yesterday but I did get some sitting down time whilst he watched a bit of tv. I managed to do some hoovering & did a few surveys. He slept a lot better last night but woke up very early & was then exhausted all day.

I managed to get out & pick a few things up at Mr M's, they were selling a lot of kids clothes half price so got some trousers, jeans & tops in bigger sizes for DS.

My sister picked up the cat carrier from the vets for us & the staff had left a sympathy card in it & a poem with little cat's paw prints on it. Little cat's ashes were also delivered back to us today. Still miss her cheeky face.

Working early shift tomorrow so need to go to bed soon.

• chanie
    • By chanie 10th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    chanie
    That!!!8217;s a lovely gesture from the Vets.
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 1282.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 12th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    sashybo
    Yes chanie, we thought so too, they are always very pleasant & you can tell that the staff really care about the animals.

Work was fine yesterday but I felt wiped out afterwards and a bit grumpy. Fell asleep on the couch for an hour after putting DS to bed. DH was busy with his homebrew all night.

Today I went for a haircut, feels so much lighter now as got her to thin it out as well. Had an eye test afterwards & one eye has started to get short sighted again after my laser surgery 5/6 years ago. As it's only -1 in that eye & the other eye is okay I don't need glasses unless I particularly want them, so will hold off unless my other eye gets worse.

DS has worked out how to pull himself up to his knees & hold on to the side of his cot. He then just sits there & cries because he doesn't know how to lie back down. So that's his new trick & he likes to do it instead of going to sleep, will need to lower the cot down a bit so it's not as easy for him. He slept really well last night so hoping for the same tonight.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,276Posts Today

7,022Users online

Martin's Twitter