Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,760Posts
    • 20,474Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,362 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £50,880
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1200, Car loans £22,591.72

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 30
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS freaked out a bit at the party as it was quite busy, I forgot my friend has nearly as big an extended family as I do. He cried on & off but was also flirting with all the adults intermittently & went to my friends no bother.

He also made a friend as a wee 2yo came over to see him & hold his hand and kiss him, DS loved it. I will definitely get organised to take him to a play group as he would really enjoy it after the initial (inevitable) freak out (probably both of us!).

The only housework that got done today was two loads of washing & any dishes & DS's bottles that don't go in the dishwasher washed & cleared away. DH also emptied the kitchen bin & that reminds me that I need to empty the food waste bin as it's full.

I need to repot the plants I bought my mum & found some colourful pots I've had for ages & never used, so they can go in there. Will do that tomorrow before my mum comes over for dinner.

Hoping to get the bathrooms cleaned, the cat litter trays cleaned out & a bit of hoovering done too. Will probably need to do another washing too.

DH put on a new batch of home brew whilst DS & I were out. So much for doing the painting in the kitchen.

I think I'll try & get the utility room cleaned & tidied next week as there's stuff lying in there that shouldn't be. I can tidy the small cupboard in there too.

I have lots of places in the house where random stuff accumulates & it's so annoying. A lot of it is DH taking stuff out of the garage & then leaving it lying instead of putting it away - I actually think computer cables are breeding on my kitchen table.

Yesterday I found 3 hats (all belonging to DH) lying in the kitchen & living room, 3! I was also tripping over cardboard boxes & asked DH if he was keeping them for any reason. The answer was no so I flattened them for the recycling only to get "Oh not that one, I was saving that one for selling on eb@y". I did ask but was apparently meant to psychically know he wanted to keep that particular box. *rolls eyes forever* I was ranting as the house is a mess & all I got was "It's not that bad" actually it is & if he thinks it's "not that bad" then it must be worse than I thought.

I have also had a huge bag of gaming dices (die?) in the drawer of my coffee table for literally 2 years (at least) & every time I ask DH to actually find somewhere to keep them, he just puts them back there. Just why. Why not put them with the flipping board games I presume you bought them for?? The ones he hardly ever plays because he can't force me to play with him. *more rolling of eyes*
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 11th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    So got a good amount done today; 3 washings done & put away/hung up, cat litter trays cleaned out, food waste bin emptied, living room hoovered & tidied & utility room tidied & cleaned, including the cupboard. I got DH to take all his stuff back into the garage where it belonged & took stuff back into the greenhouse. Threw out some old tea towels & reorganised the cupboard in there too.

Repotted the heather plants for my mum & also potted the primroses for her. Whilst I was in the garden I tidied up a bit & moved the pots with bulbs growing nearer to the patio doors so we can see a bit of green from the kitchen.

Didn't get the bathrooms cleaned but will try and do it tomorrow. Would also like to pot my sweet pepper seedlings too.

DH fitted DS's new car seat in my car today & it looks so big and grown up! It's one of the swivel ones so should be easier getting him in & out of it.

I got a bottle of blood orange gin for my first Mother's Day from DS. It's very nice.

My mum came up for dinner, which DH made & we had a nice day, DS was happy to see her. My brother & niece dropped in too and DS didn't cry at his cousin & played nicely with her instead.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 12th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Got nothing on my list done today. Emptied the bathroom bins & changed the towels but no cleaning.

We went out to visit some friends in the afternoon, they have a 2yo DS so our DS enjoyed watching & playing with him.

Hoping DS has a better sleep tonight, he was very unsettled last night & wasn't feeling well again. I was up with him for about an hour from 1:45am. I need to start going to bed earlier & getting up earlier as I feel better & get more done. DS also prefers an earlier start so will be better for him too.

Hoping to get our potatoes planted tomorrow & sweet pepper seedlings potted. Could also do with tidying & sweeping the greenhouse before new plants start going in there.

Up to £4.70 on 0nepoll & £10 on PA, need to do more surveys on my other sites.

Want to do a bit more cooking for DS so he gets a bit more variety as worried I'm giving him the same things over & over. He is willing to try most things at this stage so I should really try harder.

Feeling so tired recently & just can't seem to catch up on my sleep.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 13,166 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Just catching up, Hope DS is feeling better soon and settles better. It won't last forever even if it feels like it now. It will feel like it's flew by when you're having to drag him out of bed to go to school

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 12th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks W, I know what you mean, in a few months DS will be one. I think he is teething again but last night seemed to have trapped wind as well, poor wee sausage.

After writing my earlier post I went & washed some dishes, emptied & cleaned the kitchen bin and cleaned the litter trays of yuck. Also made up some orange jelly for DS to try, although used a packet of jelly crystals with a best before of April 2016. Jelly doesn't really go off does it? At worst it won't set but it's one less thing in the cupboard.

On that note I gave the cats some multivitamin paste I found as have a few boxes of it that were BBE Dec 2017. They didn't seem to mind, they were going mad for it, little cat had a beard & moustache combo going on. Will have to remember to use it regularly as a treat for them.

I also put away a washing that was hanging up and was dry and have put a bag of clothes that I have decluttered into a charity bag. Will put it out for collection tomorrow morning & that's one less bit of clutter hanging about. I've been getting rid of things I don't wear or if after wearing them I find them uncomfortable or unflattering. Will need to keep it up as have too much.

I want to sort out the spare room as we have been ditching the baby things in there as DS has been outgrowing them. We have the stand for the Moses basket, an activity gym, the smaller car seat & 2 isofix bases in there just lying about. I need to find somewhere to store them to keep the place tidy. DH is going to sell one of the isofix bases so that's one less thing to store.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    I got up at 7am this morning when DS woke up, he was much happier & I feel like I got more done. I put the charity bag of clothes out just in time, it was collected barely 10 mins after I put it out!

I put a washing of DS's stuff on & got it all dried and put away. DH sold a couple of things on eb@y so he packaged them up & got them posted.

The jelly set but I forgot to give DS some to try. Will give him some tomorrow. I have some leftover chicken from the roast on Sunday so will use that up tomorrow by making tomato chicken for DS & will portion it up & freeze some too. Also saw recipes for tropical rice pudding & sweet couscous pudding that I think DS would like, will try & make at least one of them.

DH & I managed to get out into the garden this morning with DS in the pram. DH used the pressure washer to clean most of our patio & path to the greenhouse & it looks so much better. He'll finish the rest of it next week.

Whilst he was doing that I potted the sweet pepper seedlings & the 3 chilli seedlings that have appeared (jalapeño, bird's eye & scorpion) and then tidied the greenhouse up & swept the floor. It looks much better but think the slab floor could do with DH's pressure washer, so DH will do that when he finishes the patio.

We also got the seed potatoes into their grow bags. We have 3 varieties & 2 bags of each so hopefully lots of nice new potatoes in a few months.

DS was very good & enjoyed watching us from his pram, this time next year he will be running about in the mud.

We had pesto pitta pockets for lunch & DS managed 3 quarters of half a pitta bread, he loved it. He is getting so good at feeding himself & enjoys it much more than spoon feeding.

I managed to do a few surveys today & am also up to £5.50 on 0ne poll which is good. Need to try & check PA more regularly though.

Spare room didn't get looked at today but will try again tomorrow. I need to go through DS's clothes again & remove the stuff that is too small, these always seem to be the ones DH decides to dress him in & he looks like a ragamuffin.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Proper home grown potatoes are just lovely, I need to decide if we are bothering this year
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi redo, yes home grown potatoes are yum, we're doing more this year as only did a small amount last year & used them up too quickly.

Didn't get a lot done today, DS a bit moany as he is teething again & was up a couple of times in the night with the pain. We still got up early & I did some surveys.

Made tuna croquettes for DS today & he really enjoyed them. On the other hand he didn't like the tomato chicken. When I tried it I could see why, the sauce was nice but the chicken wasn't. Should have left it out. Oh well. I also got him to try a bit of couscous & he tried the jelly - he mostly enjoyed playing with a few bits of it & then smashing it to smithereens. Need to give him more fruit, he had half a banana today.

Have stuck a washing in on a timer overnight so it will be ready to stick in the tumble dryer when I get up. Just towels, can't take crispy non tumble dried towels anymore, I'm spoiled.

Going to go into town with DS & my mum tomorrow, need to top up the teething supplies (teething gel & powders & opened my back up calpol last night too so will need more of that soonish, don't want to worry about running out). Also need full fat milk for DS, just have enough for tomorrow's porridge but want to try tropical rice pudding and/or sweet couscous pudding too so will get a bigger size.

I put away more of DS's smallish clothes & moved the small car seat into the cupboard out of the way.

My little cat is losing the plot, I came downstairs after putting DS to bed (and had heard a thud in the kitchen) and found a bottle of rapeseed oil on the floor under the kitchen table. My little cat had, for some unknown reason, knocked the bottle off the worktop (the thud) & then dragged it halfway across the kitchen. Just...why? Not got a clue.

The little b*ggers then helped themselves to a third of a packet of rich tea biscuits which I had foolishly left unguarded whilst settling DS after he woke up crying. They were all under the kitchen table (I'm sensing a theme here) crunching away when I came downstairs. They had carried it from the coffee table in the living room through to the kitchen & ripped it down the side. Whole packet in the bin.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 15th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Went into town today even though it was raining, DS had great fun giving big cheesy grins to the random people who stopped to talk to him.

Got the milk & teething supplies then we got a few things for lunch & went back to my mum's to eat.

My mum is really stressed out as my sister is behaving quite erratically atm & has 4 kids on her own. Her 16 yo son has moved in with my mum as my sister just loses the plot with him and can't seem to do anything but shout at him. My mum is worried about him as he has left school but doesn't have a job. He's meant to be on a course to help him find work but doesn't seem to be getting much out of it. My sister hasn't been paying enough attention & just let him do his own thing (i.e. hang about with his pals & play computer games) because it's easier for her. There are a few on-going issues with my sister & her younger kids as well and she's just sticking her head in the sand.

She's always on FB moaning about hating her life/being bored or fed up. She has a hard time I know and god knows I don't think I could cope in her shoes but she doesn't want to face up to anything so nothing gets resolved. I can't speak to her about it or she'll just get angry & fall out with me. She thinks I have a perfect life because I'm married & have a bought house. She'll think it's because I think I'm better than her (which I don't) and then I'll get the usual "you're mum's favourite anyway because you're the good one who always does everything right". I wish.

Feeling a bit fed up of everything just now & don't really know why. I just want to sleep & eat all the time. Back into work tomorrow for another KIT day, the weeks are racing by.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Attention seeking maybe? Cats I mean. Clearly they need a new kitten to distract them
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 15th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Redo, little cat is definitely attention seeking, she's been a nightmare since DS arrived on the scene. She was always high maintenance & naughty but has gotten 10 times worse in the last 9 months. Persuading DH to be nicer to her has helped a bit but she is a food stealing maniac. I don't know what was attractive to her about the rapeseed oil though.

A new kitten! I'm actually shocked at how much easier it is to look after DS than my cats! They're like the jealous older kids, just furry. My old man cat fell out with me & wouldn't sit on my knee for the first couple of months after DS was born. The big cat went on a charm offensive & started following & harassing us for love & little cat went even more nuts & stole anything even vaguely edible - obviously still on-going. They need therapy, although old man cat has come around he's still not fond of the interloping baby.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Did an early shift KIT day today at work which went fine, I am enjoying essentially visiting the office & not really having any work to do.

On the other hand I went to the "bargain" shop & spent too much money. I did get some clear plastic storage trays I've been looking for for my fridge & cupboard so hopefully they'll fit & look ok.

Went to Mr Al's on the way home for a few things & then saw DH for all of 10 mins before he had to leave for work.

DS has slept better the last 2 nights so hopefully the teething pain has eased off a bit. The more sleep I get the more tired I feel right now.

Hope we don't get snow again. Need to get a washing put away & a washing put on tonight as a minimum plus cat litter cleaned out & worktops/hob wiped down. Kitchen was a bit of a disaster zone when I got home, DH & dishes don't see eye to eye. I got the dishes done after putting the shopping away & then took DS for his nap.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 16th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Hope things improve with your sister.

But more importantly, did your baby like the jelly?
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £27,819.22
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks paws, I'm sure it will get better, just worry about the kids more than anything.

DS thought the jelly was great fun to play with but didn't seem particularly bothered about eating it. It was orange flavour though - will try strawberry & see what he thinks of that.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Mine always preferred squeezing jelly to eating it, its mostly about texture at that age though isn't it?
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 17th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi redo, yes he likes examining everything when eating & usually destroying it so he can see what it looks & feels like. He is generally very good at trying different tastes & textures.

Last night I got my washing put away & another done & hung up to dry. I also stuck the breadmaker on so a loaf would be ready in the morning. I cleaned the hob & worktops and cleaned nasty bits out of the cat litter. So not too bad.

Today I have done another washing & folded it ready to be put away. It's DS's stuff which I always TD so it's ready if needed. Not really done much else to be honest, still feeling a bit meh & can't be bothered. Had a horrible sleep as had a headache that wouldn't go away. DS has been a bit moany & clingy, getting really annoyed when all of my attention isn't on him, even for 5 mins.

I need to get some support sticks for my tomato seedlings as they are getting taller & starting to droop over a bit. I thought I had some left over from last year in the greenhouse but couldn't find any small ones, only very big ones. Will check the £ shop on Monday on my break at work.

Started looking at toys for DS's birthday, was thinking of a slide & play tunnel type thing for the garden. Am actually appalled at the prices of these things. At least we won't have to get him much, he'll be too young to understand the concept of birthday presents.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 18th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Still waking up feeling really tired & awful even though I'm getting more sleep - DS sleeping 7-8 hours most nights now.

Got up with him this morning at half 7ish & got us both ready then we had breakfast. Let DH sleep longer as he was working late shift again so wasn't in until 1am. Managed to sweep the kitchen floor, wipe down the worktops, get another washing on & hoover the living room whilst DS played about on the floor.

Didn't get much else done except a quick wipe down in the main bathroom as my mum is staying overnight to watch DS for us tomorrow as we are both early shift & leaving the house at 6:30am. Hopefully DS doesn't wake up & sleeps until his usual 7/half 7 for my mum.

We had a quick freezer dinner of fish, chips & peas as just couldn't face cooking or thinking. DS had some of the chips but had half a banana, a couple of grapes, rice pudding & his bottle beforehand.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 19th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    Had less sleep last night (about 6 hours) & feel better for it weirdly. Was also at work for my KIT day though so maybe it's because I was up & out doing something different.

DH sold something else on eb*y so I took it to the post office on my break & then went to the £ shop for flower support sticks. Managed to find some but they are still too tall so will need to cut them to the right length. Somehow spent £7.50 though.

I won the football coupon at work though, so £24. It's the first time I've done it for ages so nice to win.

Dropped into Mr M's on the way home & got a few things. No more visiting supermarkets, the money just seems to disappear. Topped up on cheese as our cheddar was running low. Bought some small Easter eggs, including a tiny Milky bar one for DS.

Made curry for dinner as had a packet mix for butter chicken in the cupboard, it was ok actually for a packet mix. I added onion, pepper & a fresh chilli to the mix though to give it a bit more flavour. The only thing I needed to buy for tonight's dinner was naan bread (90p), so not too bad. Defrosted some chicken breast from the freezer for it.

Also bought some nice tulips for my mum for watching DS for us (reduced from £5 to £3.75 but nothing wrong with them) & some mini daffs in pots that were only 50p each for my own garden. Will try & repot them tomorrow as well as getting the support sticks in with the tomato seedlings.

DS had a nice day with my mum & my sister dropped in to see them too.

My nephew is still being a nightmare & left my mum's house in a mess. She asked him to feed her cats & dog and let the dog out to pee but he didn't, just went out & left all the lights on, curtains closed & the dog free to roam the house peeing wherever he took a fancy to. He had his girlfriend staying & she just leaves everything lying as is so used to her mum picking up after her. My mum is not impressed & told him not to come back. He really doesn't listen, it's worrying.

Another washing put on tonight & previous washing put away. DH has sold more things on eb*y so looks like a walk to the post office for DS & I tomorrow. It was lovely & sunny today although still a biting wind, hope we get more nice days soon.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 20th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS & I have walked to the post office & back, roughly 30 mins each way so a decent walk. It's lovely & sunny today and actually quite warm in the sun.

I cut the support sticks in half to get the right size for my tomato seedlings & they are all properly supported now. They smell like proper tomato plants now too, hopefully won't be long until we can get them out into the greenhouse.

No real plans for the rest of the day, just going to try & do some surveys in between dealing with DS.

I think our smaller loan should be under £3K now as payment came out yesterday, will check on the snowball calculator. DH will hopefully have enough money left from eb*y sales to pay a bit extra off one of the higher interest loans - most of it is going towards paying for the work on his car.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 20th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 13,166 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I'm still catching up but

DS - Ibuprofen and restless sleep .. Is he still refluxy? Ibuprofen does an amazing job at making reflux flare. Maybe that's the link or coincidence. Also branded paracetamol begging with C has 'sorbitol' in another thing that loves playing with reflux. Budget shops (home bargains and similar) Sell one with a teddy on the box. No sorbitol in the paracetamol Sorry this is long. As you can see I've done some serious testing them out

It's lovely today isn't it. Nice and bright and makes life feel brighter.

Have a lovely afternoon

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin