Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,775Posts
    • 20,587Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,617 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,528
    Loan £2095.14, CC 0% BT £985, Car loans £22,206.11

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 29
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 23rd Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 10,810 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Awful when you are all ill like that, hope everyone is back to normal quickly.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 25th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks W & redo, that's us just starting to feel a bit more normal today. Poor DS still has his bad cold though.

More washings done yesterday & DH stripped the bed & then re-made it.

Managed to pot my tomato & sweet pea seedlings but they are all inside as still too cold in the greenhouse. They have taken over the main bathroom & guest room. We have a sweet pepper seedling starting to pop up so hopefully the chillies will follow soon.

I got the bathrooms cleaned today & they look so much better. Have also remembered to order Motherís Day photo cards for the grans on DS's behalf as well.

DH researched & found us a new energy deal so that will be going through in the next couple of weeks. They're estimating £20 less p/m than we're currently paying so hopefully that works out, I think it sounds about right & we get £25 cashback which is better than nothing. We'll have to find £90 from somewhere to pay our current supplier what we owe them though.

Checked car insurance & it's the start of April it runs out so still have a bit of time to get that done.

Also got DH's Christmas jumper & t-shirts put away into a storage bag along with some other items he doesn't wear regularly. Will keep his clothes a bit tidier.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 28th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Was at work yesterday on my second KIT day, spoke to the big boss & confirmed which job I want to return to & she said she was happy with that. I also asked about the job share & she asked me to get the form in ASAP so they can advertise for a job share partner & not to worry about it, so that sounds positive.

So managed to get the form filled in & sent to my line manager, just need to inform HR of the date I'm going to return to work fully.

Very glad I'm not working today as the snow has been horrendous, it's currently a red weather warning & basically a blizzard. We have at least 6 inches of snow & more to come. I hate snow, we're basically trapped at the top of the hill we live on. DH also on rest days so at least neither of us need to be anywhere. Meant to be going out for lunch tomorrow, don't know if that will be happening now.

DH paid £50 off his loan which takes us to £250 paid off already. He got £100 for a survey/diary type thing he did, the other £50 went into the car account as his car needs some work done soon.

I've had £15 from one survey company & £5 from another today, will probably pay that off the zopa loan. Think I have enough points on another site to cash in for vouchers, might try & get B&Q ones as can use this towards the garden stuff we'll need soon like compost, grow bags etc. Am now 15p away from the new lower cash out level of £25 on 0nepoll too.

DS still not right & had another bad night where he just kept waking up screaming. Think his tummy is sore as he has been constipated but could be teething too.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 2nd Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Sashy, that's great news about the job and job share. I bet you're relieved.

Poor giant baby, I hope he's feeling better now.

Did I tell you all my allysum sprouts died? I don't really know what I'm doing.

Take care in the snow

Paws
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £27,819.22
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 10,810 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That is great news on the job front. Hope the snow clears up soon.

Is your DS old enough to have orange juice to help move things along?
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashy, that's great news about the job and job share. I bet you're relieved.

Poor giant baby, I hope he's feeling better now.

Did I tell you all my allysum sprouts died? I don't really know what I'm doing.

Take care in the snow

Paws
    Originally posted by boxofpaws
    Hi Paws, well I'm feeling a bit more reassured as the big boss seemed very eager to have me back, however this is the same boss who got rid of my old job so I'll take what she says with a pinch of salt. Hopefully everything will work out ok.

The giant baby is a bit better thanks but still having trouble sleeping. I don't know if it's his cold (nearly gone now ) , teething or just a sleep problem.

Sorry to hear about the allysum sprouts, how annoying. I don't really know what I'm doing either, I just bung my seeds in and hope they do something. I know they generally like the windowsill in our main bathroom as it's warm & light but that's about it. I do enjoy gardening and just go by instinct but if I'm really stuck I ask my PIL as they are very experienced gardeners. Not that we often have to ask, as they like to give advice whether you want it or not.

I hope the snow gets lost soon!

That is great news on the job front. Hope the snow clears up soon.

Is your DS old enough to have orange juice to help move things along?
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Hi redo, thanks just hope the big boss does what she says she will. I know they do want me back as I have a lot of experience in my role though.

I think they advise you not to give orange/fruit juice under 12 months but could be wrong. I think they do tell you if you give them it to dilute it with water though, will keep in mind for next time, thanks.

DS seems to get constipated if I give him ibuprofen, which is a bit odd but seems to be the common denominator everytime he's had a bad bout. I gave him some fruit puree and extra water and stopped the ibuprofen for his teething pain, gave him paracetamol instead and things started moving again.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Yesterday we were pretty much stuck in the house again, so I made leek & potato soup for lunch and stuck a chicken casserole in the slow cooker for dinner. Managed to use up some chicken thighs, cabbage, tomatoes & the last of a bag of green beans from the freezer too.

DH went out to clear the cars and driveway of snow and then ended up helping several of the neighbours who were also out clearing the driveways & pavements in front of the houses. He was out for at least two hours doing that.

DS slept quite badly again last night, woke up around 3 times just crying. I don't know if it's teething related or he's just wanting a cuddle and a bit of company. If I leave him to cry he can easily do so for over an hour without stopping. I don't want him getting into a habit of needing me every time he wakes up, he needs to go back to sleep on his own but I don't know if that's what it is, I think he might just be feeling sore. We're all so tired as no one is getting enough sleep.

Managed to reach cash out on 0nepoll today so that's another £25 due.

However I did spend £65 on a new set of pots online. Well there are 2 saucepans, 2 skillets & 1 milk pan. It's the same brand of pots we already have which are usually a lot more expensive. They were being sold for £70 with a £10 off £50 spend discount code & £5.95 delivery. Several of the ones we have need replacing after 10 years+ so at least we'll get our money's worth. I'm going to use £20 of survey money towards the pots & the rest will come out of the house/garden account that we put £30 p/m into.

So far today I have cleaned all the work surfaces & the hob in the kitchen, plus the inside of the microwave and the extractor hood. Also swept the floor and wiped down the fridge door which was all fingerprinty and dirty looking whenever the light hit it.

I cleared out half of the cupboard under the kitchen sink (still need to do the other half but most of that stuff is in two baskets so easy to move) as there is a leak but we don't know where it's coming from. DH will have a look later, we've had problems with the sink since we moved in & made the builders get the plumbers out at least 3 times and they obviously still never fixed it properly. Luckily I had put down the clear plastic grippy liner in there so not too much damage inside the cupboard.

DH has put a washing on & is going to do a bit of hoovering and the big clean of the cat litter boxes later. He is looking after DS so that I can have a shower & relax a bit.

Did I mention that naughty small cat is really going crazy lately? She has taken to biting the tips of the teats off DS's bottles and trying to eat them. She has also destroyed two silicone bibs by chewing them. So we have to put things away as soon as they've been washed or she runs off with them and destroys them.

• chanie
    • By chanie 2nd Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    chanie
    Sorry your veg didn!!!8217;t take. It!!!8217;s annoying when that happens. Sounds like you had a productive day though, particularly when you also have DS to look after.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £546.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi chanie, yes I managed to get a few things done as DS was happy enough to sit & watch/play in his high chair & when he got crabby I stopped & got him to nap.

I have several tomato seedlings & now some sweet peppers too. Just waiting on the chilli seeds doing something, think one jalapeŮo seedling has appeared but that's it atm.

Used up some mince, garlic & chopped pepper from the freezer in tonight's dinner, along with carrots & onions from the fridge. DH made a bolognese type sauce with chopped tomatoes & the above ingredients with the mince & then added it to rigatoni pasta for a pasta bake. He grated some cheddar & Parmesan over the top, it was lovely.

I ended up doing a quick hoover today as DH went out to the shops for a couple of things. The first supermarket he tried was completely out of milk. He got some from Mr Al's though.

DH thinks the sink is leaking at the ubend, it looks as though something is loose, so he will hopefully sort it out tomorrow.

DS was exhausted all day today & barely napped so put him to bed a bit earlier than usual. Hoping he gets a good sleep as we could all do with it.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS has slept a bit better the last two nights but still woke up several times. I'm not picking him up when I go in to check on him now as he's expecting a cuddle & to be taken into bed with us, he's gotten too used to it as he's not been well so much lately.

Not much done yesterday apart from a washing & general tidying up. Need to get Mother's Day presents sorted, my mum has asked for some plants for the garden & was going to get an assortment of toiletries for MIL like a sheet face mask, hair mask etc & just get them sent straight to her from the online shop to save on postage.

No real plans for today & it's snowing again.

DH has tightened the ubend under the kitchen sink & the leak appears to have stopped, so fingers crossed there's nothing else wrong with it.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    It's now raining so hopefully the snow will disappear. It was thawing anyway as warmer temps but still cold really.

I ordered a selection of toiletries for MIL; a sheet face mask, argan oil hair mask, lip balm, hand cream, in-shower body moisturiser, bubble bath & body spray, all for £12 delivered. Hopefully she'll like the stuff.

Also placed an order for cat food as we are down to the last few packets. Our last order was £65 & lasted 4 months for 3 cats. This order is £42, hoping it might last 3 months but we will see, will definitely need to buy cat biscuits within the next month though & they are dental ones that cost around £20 for 4kg. They're worth it if they save on future dental bills though.

Had a very lazy day & did the bare minimum, will try to be more productive tomorrow. DH is going out for lunch with a friend but I'm going out on Tuesday for my lunch that was cancelled last week due to the snow.

On Wed I have the chiropractor again, so will drop in to see my mum afterwards if she's not working. On Thurs I'm back at work for another KIT day & on Friday I'm hoping to get to the garden centre with DH & DS to get some supplies for our garden as well as some plants for my mum.

On Saturday I'm taking DS to my friend's son's first birthday party, it won't be too long as will be mostly babies in attendance. Fingers crossed DS doesn't freak out at all the other babies, he knows the birthday boy & his mum though. Will leave DH at home & he can try to get some jobs done in the house, we need to paint the kitchen wall behind the fridge freezer as it was previously built in & we removed it when we got a new one, only to discover that the builders had installed it before the painters had been in, so they painted around it. The new fridge freezer is not as tall so it looks awful. The kitchen ceiling also needs painted as we got some new lighting installed a couple of years ago & the electrian had to cut an access in the ceiling, we've been too lazy to get it painted.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 5th Mar 18, 10:52 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    I did not have a more productive day today.

I did manage to have a shower & wash my hair, which is cause for a small celebration. I also did my bare minimum of washing dishes/bottles, cleaned hob & kitchen worktops as well as cleaning litter trays & keeping the fluffy kids & non-fluffy kid alive.

I also tidied & rearranged a kitchen cupboard that was really messy & annoying me every time I opened the door. It was one of those cupboards where things slide out when you open the door & you have to shut it quickly to avoid an avalanche of plastic storage/microwave tubs. Anyway it's tidier for now. I keep DS's food things in there too so am in & out of it all day.

I also managed to use up some stuff from the freezer; the last slice of a crustless quiche I made ages ago & 2 spinach & cheese muffins, one for me & one for DS. However I had to freeze the leftover leek & potato soup & chicken casserole from Friday as didn't want to leave them in the fridge any longer in case they went funny.

I've decided that I need some new baking trays as ours are manky. Will just buy some cheap ones & then get some oven liner for them.

DS slept a lot better last night but his nappy leaked as it was so full. Poor wee sausage. Oh well, will be sticking another washing of his stuff on tomorrow anyway.

Have quite a few things on this week so really should have tried to do something today. Need to remind DH to sign & send the Mother's Day cards I bought for his mum, one from him & one from DS.

Have been a bit rubbish with surveys, am back up to £1.60 on 0nepoll but was too lazy to look at anything else. Really should do a bit more as I want to use the survey money towards extra payments off the loans & the vouchers earned towards things we need but don't want to spend "real" money on. Ordered the nematodes for the garden, paid fully with vouchers.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Ooh thank you for reminding me, I need to post MILís Motherís Day cats for which I need her address. I would have forgotten!

Well done at tackling the Tupperware cupboard
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £27,819.22
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 8th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Glad to be of service paws *tips hat* DH wrote & sent the cards yesterday.

The Tupperware cupboard is really the least of my problems but at least it was something.

DH has sold a couple of things on eb@y but most of the money will be going towards work he needs done on the car - brake pads etc. He's getting that done tomorrow so an early start for all of us as he'll want a lift back from the garage. We do need to go to B&Q and Mr Al's for a few bits too so can get that done at the same time.

DS sleep training seems to be going quite well, he's learning how to self settle & doesn't cry every time we leave him in his cot at night. We need to work on daytime naps next as he needs to be held & just plays if we put him in his cot.

Went to see my mum yesterday & had dinner there, my sister & kids came as well, was nice to see them & DS loved it.

Going to work today for a KIT day on late shift, will need to organise my lunch & dinner to take with me.

DH helped me look for car insurance yesterday & we found it for £90 cheaper than renewal plus £100 cashback. Need to phone & cancel renewal with my current insurer.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 10,810 Thanks
    redofromstart
    well done on clearing the jenga cupboard, do you fancy nipping over and sorting my whole house?
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    redo, I need to find the will to sort my own house out first, I've been so lazy recently.

Feeling very tired today, I think I'm just not used to being out of the house several days in a row. Was really grumpy with DH & couldn't stop myself snapping at him. He was really annoying me saying he never gets affection anymore and DS & the cats get more than him. This is a repeating refrain every so often & I mostly just laugh at his attention seeking but it was just making me see red today.

Was at work yesterday & quite enjoyed it as it's just a period of settling in & I'm not covering a job role so have a bit more freedom.

Today we took DH's car to the garage, the work on his brakes cost £288. He already has half of this from selling things & still has more to sell so should be able to cover it. The money we put aside every month for the cars paid for his MOT & service last month.

We went to Mr Al's & put DS in the trolley as he can now sit up and he was loving it. He was leaning sideways at one point like a drunk old man. DS loves people so was in his element staring & smiling, at least one person always stops to talk to him.

In Mr Al's we bought an insulated cork travel cup with lid for DH to take to work so he gets a discount (or extra loyalty stamp in Nero) for using a reusable cup. It was exactly the same as the one I bought him for his birthday (that small cat clawed & mauled as she tried to eat the cork) but was less than half the price at £3.49.

Went to B&Q for compost and a couple of plants for my mum's Mother's Day present. Got a small pot of tulips, some primroses & some small painted heathers all for £8.50. The heathers need to be repotted as they were reduced to 50p & looking a bit sad but they will recover fine.

Hoping to get our seed potatoes in the potato bags this weekend. Will need to repot the sweet pepper seedlings, the last rogue tomato seedling & possibly the jalapeŮo seedling. A bird's eye chilli seedling has appeared as well. Need to start hardening off the sweet pea seedlings as they're taking over the spare room. Just don't want another frost to kill them once I put them in the greenhouse.

Phoned & cancelled the renewal with my existing car insurance provider, so one less thing to do.

Redeemed SB today for another £10 @mazon voucher too.

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 9th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Some men are so pathetic! Doesn't get attention - maybe he should treat you to a date night and then you can give him attention haha. Xx
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    Rachel I blame it on him being an only child, it really annoys him when I say that. He goes through wee phases of feeling sorry for himself & thinking he's not getting enough attention but he always did even before we had cats or our DS.

Most of the time he really is very good & does a lot of cooking and is happy to do his share of childcare when we're both at home. Just has his wee dramatic outburts every so often.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 10th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    £288 on the car- I hate spending money on cars, itís slways galling. That and kitchen appliances -grrr

Loving the image of your big baby flirting with supermarket shoppers from your trolley
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £27,819.22
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,587 Thanks
    sashybo
    paws he is a terrible flirt wherever I take him, any baby groups & he's flirting with the mums & dads, not interested in the other children at all.

Yes spending on the car is a pain, apparently we need the timing belt replaced next year & that won't be cheap. But at least we have time to save up for it as know it's on the horizon, it's the unexpected/unbudgeted repairs that are the worst.

Need to have a shower & get organised, taking DS to a baby birthday party later. Fingers crossed he doesn't freak out & cry.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin