Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 1st Jan 17, 4:24 PM
    • 777Posts
    • 4,277Thanks
    michelle09
    Plodding determinedly up a 300k mountain!
    • 1st Jan 17, 4:24 PM
    Plodding determinedly up a 300k mountain! 1st Jan 17 at 4:24 PM
    Hi everyone! I have another thread on here but it is seriously out of date, so I figured I will start afresh. New year, new targets and all that.

OH and I completed on our first house in May 2016. We had a sizeable deposit due to my ability to save and OH's inheritance. We could have afforded a decent flat but decided to buy a slightly rundown 3 bed end of terraced house and do it up while living in it. This seemed like a much better idea before we were living somewhere with a smashed in door, no hot water and only lighting in part of the house. So far we have plunged 20k into repairs (which sounds like a lot, but the doors, windows, bathroom, cloakroom, boiler, radiators, some of the wiring and floors are brand new). It's certainly been a character building experience, from turning up after completion to finding the old owner still living here, to getting the first batch of wiring fixed and discovering that every lightswitch in the house now turned on the kitchen light, but we are getting there slowly.

The basic floorplan of the house we love, so once we are finished doing it up it will be brilliant. It's also in a great location, we are in London - hence the obscene price - but we are two minutes from the underground, can be in zone 1 in fifteen minutes from our front door, but can also be on the motorway out of London in the same time by car.

We are now seeing the light at the end of the repairs, so in 2017 I want to start making a serious dent in our mortgage. I have taken on a second job and we have two friends renting our spare rooms - at mates rates - so it is a good time to start reducing the crazy interest rates!

Figures -
    House Price: £440,000 *gulps*
    Mortgage: £259,700.00
    Student Loan: £19,103.29
    Repairs Estimate: £20k
    Monthly Mortgage Repayment: £940.87. 1.74% interest, lifetime tracker.

I know that students loans are not a problem debt, but our aim is to try and clear the whole lot by the time OH is 40. Which gives us 13 years. This might be too much of a reach, but I would rather aim high and fall slightly low than not push. Though I may be relying on OH's lottery tickets actually paying off!

Going to check out other diaries too, hopefully the support here will help.
    Last edited by michelle09; 01-01-2017 at 4:37 PM.
Page 12
    • try harder
    • By try harder 3rd Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    try harder
    Wow fabulous targets for 2018 , i shall be watching to see how you get on this year .

Well done on the 8lbs weight loss .
    • greent
    • By greent 4th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 7,008 Posts
    • 71,546 Thanks
    greent
    Fab weight loss

Fingers crossed for studentship

Did the hinge for the dining table get sorted?
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 9th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    michelle09
    I have been converted to calzones SHS! This may not be good for my weight loss.

Thanks try harder and greent. Hopefully will keep plodding on. We contacted the company and they promised to contact us in 7-10 working days. We will call again next week if we don't hear. Slightly annoying because apart from the one broken hinge it's really wonderful. If they sent us a new hinge in the post we could do it ourselves.

Slightly unexpected four day weekend. Realised with a medical appointment on Monday that I was only down to work Sunday so managed to get it off. My big plans today involve finishing my research slides for my interview on the 19th, and applying for a training role at a different company. It would pay £7k more than I currently earn so if I don't get the studentship at least I might be in line for a bigger paycheck?

The other big plan is to plant my runner beans! My grandfather grew runner beans for the first 62 years of his marriage and I was truly spoilt. I didn't have shop bought runner beans until I was 25 years old and I am far too snobby about them. So have decided to take up the family mantle and grow delicious vegetables.

We have our car back too! £1800 later (although it did pass it's MOT for the £27.44 minimum) and it is running much better. Amazing what new wheels, brake pads, throttles and engine parts will do.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 9th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Feel your financial pain on cars! I dread everything about cars!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • try harder
    • By try harder 9th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    try harder
    That is an awfully big car bill michelle09
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 9th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    I love homegrown runner beans too - they taste completely different to shop bought ones. I am really impressed that you are going to grow your own .
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 9th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Tropically
    I can't get a runner bean to grow for the life of me. Any tips from your grandfather?
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's brilliant about your runner beans - and a good use of holiday time too.

Am also waiting for any knowledge passed down from such an experienced gardener.
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 12th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    michelle09
    It was an insane bill, try harder. I think the first garage (£600) took us for a bit of a ride and I can't quite work out what all the costs were. The second garage had to replace three wheels, the t-leaf, the throttle, the battery and bits of the engine that had been water damaged. So I can see that one. Thankfully the car flew through it's MOT!

Good news, there was a grant through our HA for residents and we are getting free insulations in the walls/roof added this week. A follow on after February gave us the highest gas bill we'd had since living here (£55....)

Unfortunately Grandad is no longer around to give gardening advice. My Grandmother seemed to think he just sowed the beans and tied them to bamboo once they started sprouting. I've grown the seedlings inside first as our soil is not spectacularly fertile (insert long rant over previous owner's bamboo forest here) and wanted them to have a head start.

Just before my Grandmother moved last August, I dug up one of her blackberry canes and planted it in our back garden. (Grandad had taken it from the woods in the 1950s and then transplanted it when they moved in the 80s.) I was worried the snow had killed it off but there are a few green leaves poking out of the ground! I'm hoping to surprise my Grandmother around her birthday with home grown runner beans and the same blackberries she's been eating for decades.

End of my four day weekend today. Shame I can't do this every week, feel wonderfully refreshed! Yet another friend is pregnant though, so have rummaged through my Grandmother's wool stash while we were up for Mother's Day and will be knitting baby gifts like crazy until the summer.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry about your grandfather michelle, and for any upset caused. Your days sound brilliant, I'm not surprised you want that 4 day weekend regularly!
    Retired August 2016
    • CathT
    • By CathT 12th Mar 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5,542 Posts
    • 38,646 Thanks
    CathT
    That is quite a car bill. Mine cost about £200 to get through its MOT this month and DH's is going in on Thursday for its first MOT. Fingers are firmly crossed!

Ah 4 day weekends, don't happen often enough. 2 days just isn't enough to recover from a busy working week.
    May 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,906
    part 2 - £45,391
    Total - £123,297
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 12th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Im still looking for the dream job. An honest weeks wage for an honest days work!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 13th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    Hi Michelle09

My dad has grown runner beans for as long as I can remember and my granddad was also a keen gardener so it's lovely to have my own garden now to carry on the tradition. Fortunately my partner is a professional horticulturalist so I struck gold there ha ha! Hope you get a bumper crop of runner beans this year

Interested to hear about the Bamboo forest - it's a nightmare isn't it!
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness"
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 7,008 Posts
    • 71,546 Thanks
    greent
    I've always found runner beans the easiest things to grow. We have homemade compost and I literally dig a small hole for each seed and put a large trowel full of compost in and poke the seed in (having already set up the bamboo frame) I like growing them (pretty flowers!) - but we don't actually like eating them! - I feed them to my guinea pigs, give them to family/ neighbours and make Delia's runner bean chutney instead
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 17th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    michelle09
    No upset caused, KC, I would imagine he'd have been more than happy to pass on his advice. Just wish I'd thought to ask before I no longer had the chance.

Thanks greent. So far they are holding with the bamboo frame. Fingers crossed they survive the new bout of snow....

It's been snowing on and off all day, but I am super thrilled with our new insulation. Turned the heating on for two hours this morning, and despite the cold outside it's still fine in here with a jumper.

Been fighting off a cold all week and today have completely given into it. Seven pm and I've not actually got out of bed yet. Thankfully OH was wonderful enough to make me a spinach smoothie and lemsip before heading off to work.

In a bizarrely quick turnaround, I got an interview for the training role! It was really interesting, and the hiring manager was really complimentary but ultimately the role went to someone with a different career experience than me. The manager was very nice and gave lots of advice on how to progress my career and passed on some details as well.

In the end, I'm not disappointed. The PhD is what I desperately want, so as long as I get through Monday's interview then I will be happy.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,569 Thanks
    beanielou
    Snowing here too.
    Hope the cold goes soon.
    Take care.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 24th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    michelle09
    So, it's been an up and down sort of week!

The PhD interview on Monday was a disaster. I've been to a fair number of interviews, but never with four panel members, and they've always been nice to you. I came home in a fairly bad place mentally, feeling trapped in my current place.

OH offered me the chance to resign and claimed we could live off his salary while I looked for work. He's wonderful and well meaning, if not always entirely practical.

However, I went to lunch on Tuesday to find a voice message from the training role hiring manager. It turns out that their first choice ended up turning down the role, and they were now offering it to me! It's not what I really wanted (no point in pretending otherwise), but they have offered me a 12 month contract on £8k more than I currently earn, with a commute that will be 30 minutes, not the 90 minutes I currently travel. It is a big change from all my previous roles (my first desk job!) but it looks interesting and I am looking forward to the challenge.

Went for my pre-employment ID check on Thursday, and hopefully I can hand my notice in next week and start end of May.

I think OH is secretly thrilled because an £8k payrise is financially much more secure than £20k paycut. We have started oragnising our big holiday this year, and are toying between exploring China for a couple of weeks, or working our way from Bangkok to Singapore. If we go to Singapore I'm going to splurge with one night at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel so we can use the infinity pool on the roof.

OH had a few university friends over last night, he grilled pork steaks with roast potatoes and vegetables and we broke into some beer we picked up in the post Christmas sales. One of his friends announced that he had married a female Martin Lewis, which I am fairly certain is a compliment!

This weekend, OH is working both days and I'm working tomorrow. Today is going to be a spring clean day, I am going to clear out all the cupboards and sort the house a bit. Hope everyone else is doing well!
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 24th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Oh Michelle sorry about the PHD interview but the new job offer sounds great on so many fronts. I am a great believer in everything happens for a reason and it does sound like you were meant to have that job.

Singapore is one of my favourite places and we paid for a room in the Marina Bay to use the infinity pool....and got upgraded. The room was the most fabulous I have ever stayed in and we got free afternoon tea/ drinks and canap!s. The pool was one of my all time favourite moments.......have I convinced you yet ????
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 24th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Doesn't matter how you got the offer and i'm certain you'll go and nail it in the role. Make sure you take the time celebrate as well, even if it is MFW style!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations on the job offer! Especially in the current climate, thats a really big deal, on all sorts of level, and what a wonderful holiday to look forward to!
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,243Posts Today

8,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin