Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,880Posts
    • 18,528Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    New Journey
    • 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    New Journey 1st Jan 17 at 3:04 PM
    I have been hanging around the diaries for around a month , decided to subscribe a get rid of the debt once and for all. I had a dmp which ended 3 years ago but owing to a drop in salary have managed to get myself in around 5 k debt again. Once I have Jan statements for credit card will be able to tell true figures.

I have signed up for swag bucks today and done a couple of surveys. Need to do SOA , but not sure how much to put in categories like household repairs for one .

Any help filling it in gratefully received.
Page 121
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 8:53 PM
    • 61,839 Posts
    • 265,089 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a fantastic time
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 17,509 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I am very lucky yes I stay at friends house , these days I do tend to go for the day but this was our Christmas treat . The afternoon tea was delicious, Mary Poppins was great , it was uplifting to watch. Fancy it being filmed next door to your work SSG. I hope you enjoy your film tonight.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    So glad you enjoyed your trip. Nice to get out and blow away the cobwebs.

I must try and see Mary Poppins. The original was one of my childhood favourites. Our Facilities Manager at work was funny when they were filming next door. He sent an email round to let everyone know and wrote that if we saw any smoke (i.e. dry ice} floating out from the pavement vents of the building "don't worry - it's only Mary's magic!"
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 17/03/2019 - £2,448.68
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 25
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • BalanceBy50
    • By BalanceBy50 13th Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    BalanceBy50
    Glad you enjoyed the Lakes!

I cried at Call the Midwife whilst they were working on the third baby - DH came rushing in from the next room to see if I was ok

Enjoy The Band - I saw it last year (feels strange referring to 2018 as last year ) and loved it

Xx
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Jan 19, 10:45 PM
    • 8,216 Posts
    • 18,607 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Childminding day for DGD , off to the library later .

Yesterday was a big spend day all on treats from Xmas money received. Two pairs of loafers £7.50 each half price obviously not leather but ok for leisure wear.
    Afternoon tea 2for1 £23 for the weekend with my friend in the Lakes.
    Theatre tickets for The Band next Wednesday £10 each x2 for myself and DD , offer for residents at massive reduced price.

Today I am hoping for little spends .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    I saw the Band with a friend a couple of years ago. Fantastic show but sad in places and very very funny in others. Very nostalgic for us being women of a certain age.

DH and I have just booked a couple of weeks in the Lakes in September. Not been there since I was a child so really looking forward to it.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Jan 19, 10:49 PM
    • 3,373 Posts
    • 31,365 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I didn't realise Call the midwife was back! I'm going to go and watch it.

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. I'd love to see Mary Poppins.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jan 19, 4:22 PM
    • 8,408 Posts
    • 64,882 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your weekend sounds lovely Cumbria, glad you enjoyed it .

My DC loved the original Mary Poppins, as well as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, we watched them dozens of times ' Sadly I'm sure they'll think they're too old for the new version!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND £2,000
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jan 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 9,778 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Your break to the lakes sounds lovely I'm glad you had a good time
    I'm thinking I will have to take my DGS to my local library as he seems to enjoy books,DD bough him a picture book for Christmas and we have been looking at it on and off all day
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,756 Total Now Owed = £15,874
    Emergency Fund = £1,500 Xmas savings = £300
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 19, 6:31 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 24,695 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I like that you sound just as happy (if not happier) in the Lakes as you did in Australia
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Jan 19, 6:35 PM
    • 3,373 Posts
    • 31,365 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope everything is going well Cumbria

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Jan 19, 8:40 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 18,528 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Thank you all for your comments . I am always happy in the Lakes a part of my heart is permanently there. Lots of happy happy memories were made there in a bygone time.

Last night in a bid to use my gym membership to its full capacity I did my first ever Zumba class , now I have to say I enjoyed it immensely, however I am in no way coordinated so will have to work on it, have booked on next week as well.

Tonight have been to the hospital to see a family friend who has been unwell since New Years Eve , he has found out today that he has to start kidney dialysis three times a week. It was so sad seeing him so upset by this new way of life. Once he gets used to it I am sure he will feel better.

Tomorrow evening am off to the theatre to see The Band , looking forward to this.

Haven't heard anymore about job application as one of the managers has had a bereavement so everything has ground to a halt. Should know more early next week, I feel confident I will be ok with it all , after all it's an internal job .

My dad has been diagnosed with possible prostate cancer today, he had to have a biopsy in a few weeks ,it is very treatable these days. As I keep saying I am so lucky to have 2 parents alive at my age , so every setback seems multiplied if that makes sense.

Lunch for tomorrow is done , dinner is done for the evening as quick turn around needed as theatre visit is tomorrow.

Finances are all up to date and nothing distatrous has happened , payday Friday.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 17,509 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm so sorry to hear the news of your dad Cumbria - fingers crossed for his biopsy and as you say the treatment has come on in leaps and bounds these days.

And I hope your friend begins to feel more positive soon.

Enjoy your show tomorrow- and the Zumba sounds great fun.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 19, 9:35 PM
    • 61,839 Posts
    • 265,089 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear about your dad.
    As you say very treatable these days.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 19, 9:45 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 12,493 Thanks
    milann
    Sorry to hear about your dad.

Enjoy The Band - I’m currently reading Garry Barlows new book and really enjoying it.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Jan 19, 10:40 AM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 24,695 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry to hear about your dad. You are right it is very treatable so all should be fine.

I have a relative on dialysis too. I hope he gets a transplant soon.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 16th Jan 19, 12:11 PM
    • 9,088 Posts
    • 47,785 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ah Cumbria sorry to hear that about your Dad - and about your friend being knocked sideways by his need for dialysis too - hopefully it will make such a difference to his wellbeing that he'll feel more positive about it once he gets used to the idea.

Good to hear you sounding so generally upbeat and busy!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 18,528 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Ah Cumbria sorry to hear that about your Dad - and about your friend being knocked sideways by his need for dialysis too - hopefully it will make such a difference to his wellbeing that he'll feel more positive about it once he gets used to the idea.

Good to hear you sounding so generally upbeat and busy!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Lovely to see you back EH.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jan 19, 8:30 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 18,528 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    My dad has a date for biopsy in Feb so that is good.

The Band last night was brilliant so glad we took the chance to go , at £10 each and £5.50 parking it was a MSE evening.

Tomorrow is back to childminding and the weekend is fairly quiet which I am glad about. It is freezing and I do hope we don't get snow it looks nice on photos but not on the road !

Am catching up with tv programmes tonight.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Jan 19, 8:44 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 17,509 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Great to hear your dad has a date fixed.

So pleased you enjoyed The Band last night. Amazing price for the ticket!

Have a good, un-icey weekend Cumbria.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Jan 19, 9:01 PM
    • 8,408 Posts
    • 64,882 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad Cumbria. If they've caught it early then he could live a very long time. If they catch it late, well DH's brother was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer over a year ago and he's responded very well to treatment. I hope all goes well for him.

I'm sorry about your family friend too and hope he still finds he has a good quality of life even with the dialysis.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND £2,000
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jan 19, 9:10 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 18,528 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad Cumbria. If they've caught it early then he could live a very long time. If they catch it late, well DH's brother was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer over a year ago and he's responded very well to treatment. I hope all goes well for him.

I'm sorry about your family friend too and hope he still finds he has a good quality of life even with the dialysis.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you HH , it's encouraging to hear about your brother in law , I remember now he was diagnosed late.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,127Posts Today

7,224Users online

Martin's Twitter