Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I will be glad when the week is over!
    As I didn't manage to get the shop completely changed around last night, there were a few things still out of place when I opened up the shop this morning. Staff shocked me very much, and I had to fight back tears as she really had a go at me for changing the shop, and disrupting her layout etc. Apparently she was hurt and deeply shocked that I hadn't messaged her to warn her that I had changed things around. She took me off guard and I was between speechless and then angry, so I only managed to partially defend my actions!! But why the heck I should have to tell her what I am doing in MY shop, and how she thinks she could speak to me that way was beyond me.
    She was rude, sullen and awkward towards me. What a way for my new seamstress to see her!
    I was so shocked that I didn't actually reprimand her, or anything. She was lucky that I had to go out to get some interfacing for an urgent job, giving me time to calm myself, or I might have just told her that if she didn't like it she could go home again.
    I don't feel very happy at all and am actually thankful that she is not in tomorrow.
    The seamstress did 14 hours this week and she is going to come back on Monday and Tuesday.
    I have decided that tonight I will drink copious amounts of tea, have a bubble bath, and read a book and try to forget about work for the rest of the day.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mooloo, hope things work out with your DS.

With your staff problem, don't worry about it now, but try to think about what you want to say to her when she is next in. As you say, it is your shop, and you shouldn't have to justify what you've done to her. Although it is worth thinking whether any of the changes you have made might have a negative impact on what she does for you, and whether there's a compromise somewhere.

And you may end up having to say that if she does not like what you have done, then perhaps it is time for her to spend more time in her daughter's workplace ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_sewing
    I was so tempted to say something like that to her considering she has been there more and in mine less and less. But I was thinking that I would let it go as she's leaving soon, but we will see how she interacts with the new seamstress who will be in her space ( I can't get the industrial sewing machine up the stairs). The floor is already sagging with the embroidery machine up there!
    I have had my soak in the bath and been reading my book, feeling a bit more refreshed but tired, so I will be off up to bed very soon.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    I have been awake on and off for the last hour, and in that time I have been trying to visualise a good day for me and run through what needs to be done etc, although the mind wandered off the path as I nodded. I was in bed by 9.30 after no luck in catching the hamster which this time dgd let out and he escaped to behind the kitchen unit again. I was too tired to sit up and wait for its nocturnal meander later! So I hope that I will catch it unawares today!
    Bf is back from His travels and is going to come here instead of visa Verda, so I will hope to get some gardening done with him tomorrow! (Not that he knows that yet!)
    I am hoping that I will have a better day today and move myself into a better frame of mind. Sometimes I feel that I am on a knife edge between uphoria and doom! Where's my happy medium.
    Trying to bring gratitude, optimism and anything positive into focus each day is tiring sometimes and hard to do when I am naturally a born worrier. I am learning all the time as joy doesn't seem to come easily to me at times.
    I have a busy week ahead of me, which is good, but I need to be positive and focused to actually get the work done.
    My productivity is shot at the moment.
    My aim today is to thread up the necchi and do some of the hems that are waiting to be done, and then in between fittings work through as many of the small jobs as I can. While the workshop is hired out this afternoon I have my MPs fittings to do, and then the paperwork to round off my day. I would like to do the wages etc on the computer today rather then Sunday night if at all possible so I can leave it all at work and take my mind out of the shop for 24 hours!
    I have not heard anything from DS although he sent his rent money with out my having to ask. I hope that he is alright.
  • Savvy_sewing
    At times I wonder about my life and why it throws so many spanners at me.
    The plans for Saturday changed several times through the course of the day, and fittings cancelled, the room hire cancelled and lessons over ran! I didn't get any lunch, and I had to carry the laptop home, with all the books etc as I didn't get the work done during the day, of course I had walked to work in a winter dress and coat and the sun came out, so I was already hot before having another hot flush half way home.
    Bf didn't come until quite late on, around 7.45 so dinner was late.
    Yesterday was a more calm and relaxed day, getting up late and having brunch at 11.30
    At 1.30 we went shopping for bf's shirt he wanted for next weekend and I bought a body shaper for my tummy! If I want to look good in my gold beaded dress I am going to need some assistance as I am struggling since coming off the hrt patches.
    On the plus side it was only £5 in primark as a posed to £28 in M & S!
    The sun was out and bf slogged for hours trying to remove an old concrete washing pole that was on the move. I thought it was unsafe for the kids, but when I saw how deep it was and how hard it was to get it out, I felt guilty that I had asked him to move it!
    I reclaimed the flagstones by the back door and cleared the area around with the strummer, but oh my arm doesn't like holding that and I could literally only do a minute or two at a time.
    But we now have a table and chairs on the flag stones, and two more strategically placed up the length of the garden, so we can move with the sun. Although I still have a lot of strumming to do.
    I hope that I will do a few minutes after work today if the weather is kind.
    I am in a dilemma this morning as dgd was sick suddenly at 1am, and school say not allowed back for 48 hours. However I am not sure if it was caused by her ( again) sneaking food up to her room in the evening and scoffing it just before bed. Several wraps and an apple disappeared from the kitchen and were very evident when she was ill.
    I am going to wake her at 7am as usual but she hasn't been sick since. I am hoping that she will be ok and able to go to school as if she doesn't I will have to take her to work with me, for at least the first hour and the last two hours of the day, I can bring work home to do, but it's not ideal as there is such a lot to do, and loads of bookings for alterations all week.
    Luckily the Seamstress is coming in today, but staff can't stay past 2.30 as she works at her daughter's cafe now and I can't expect the seamstress to do the shop or the fittings etc yet.
    I have to do the wages on the laptop now, as I didn't do anything yesterday to do with work. I was on overload and decided I needed the time out.
    Time to move.
  • Savvy_sewing
    edited 10 May 2017 at 7:10AM
    I meant strimmer but predictor text took over once again!
    I took dgd to work with me, as she still moaned she wasn't quite right, but I didn't see any evidence of illness! She sat in the top workshop quietly most of the day on my iPhone or her kindle until she ran them both out of batteries! The last hour she started to get restless by about 3.15pm fair enough really. She can go back to school today.
    Staff both arrived around 9.30, and we got started on sorting out the rails and rails of work, did the first fittings of the day at 10am, and the last at 4pm. We came home just before 5pm.
    I did a little work on the laptop after dinner, and watched a recorded Restoration Man about a water mill, and then came up to bed about 9.30, read for a few minutes before lights out.
    I woke three or four times in the night, and dgd woke me as I was talking in my sleep, while having a nightmare.!
    The alarm went off at 6am, I nodded off again for 20 minutes, but I have now had my tea, checked my email and my messages, and about to check the status of the bank balances before I go for my shower. My haircut last week is a little short so I am waking up with a brush for a hair do, so easier to wash it in the shower and dry it, then to throw products at it and try to sort it out. Less stressful in the long run.
    I have been visualising a great day ahead, with no problems and lots of work finished, and trying to visualise people collecting and paying cash!!
    My seamstress is doing about 7 hours a day with me, as there is work to be done, but she needs paying as we go along this week because HMRC have landed her with a clawback bill from 2008 and she still has bills to pay. I don't mind too much, but I don't have a very good cash flow at the moment so I am going to have to withdraw funds unless customers collecting pay cash today.
    Hopefully this is a temporary measure as soon as I can I would like to pay by bacs.
    Unless we both have a brilliant day today I think I will need her on Thursday if she can make it. Which will mean double the hours I had advertised. Funny how the work comes in in waves.
    Time to move.
    Here is to a good day.
    DS started his driving lessons yesterday, he was happy with the day and hopefully he will have another string to his bow by the end of next week.
    He has confirmed that he has left the gf and is staying at the pub where he works. I hope that he starts to regain his health and sanity soon. Biggest tells me the gf has rung her in tears yesterday. I don't know anything else about the arrangements yet though.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Well dgd went to school ok. Phew.
    I got on better and managed more work by 5.30 but I have brought home about 10 pairs of trousers to do. I will not be going to take Mum out, we spoke on Skype and I explained that I have such a lot to do at home. Biggest is due to visit her today so that might help.
    Staff was back in a positive mode thankfully and we were all kept very busy, bookings for fittings are coming in thick and fast now.
    There are some 40 jobs in this week and at least a third of those customers have more than three items to do.
    The new seamstress is excellent and gets on with the job in hand. She is possibly a little slower than me, but I always was a fast worker in any job I did. But the important thing is she is accurate.
    She can't come in again now until Friday so that's ok, as she has already done 14 hours for me this week.
    Luckily we had enough cash in for me to pay her as we go along.
    I have lots to do this morning after the school run, the first being The housework, washing, and ironing and then the alterations. If the weather is good then I need to cut the lawn! Dandelions abound!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Well all good intentions but life doesn't seem to like following a plan. We walked to school ( scootered), after a stressful time trying to get dgd to get ready, and we were a few minutes late for her early session. My stress level was sky high. When I got back I sorted the washing into piles and realised that I had too many odd socks so operation sock hunt was on in DGDs bedroom! When that happens it's a mission, and it took me two hours to gather up dirty clothes from on the top bunk, the bottom bunk where she sleeps and the floor beneath! Although I did change her bedding while I was in there!
    So I needed a cup of tea before I did the next job.
    I didn't get the ironing done but I did do washing all day and hang it out on our makeshift line.
    So at 11.10 I had a bite to eat with my cuppa and at 11.50 after a very quick Hoover, etc I started to work on the trousers I had brought home.
    I managed to shorten7 pairs, insert a zip and repair a skirts hem but by then it was time for the school run, (walk), then back home to get ready to go to the dentist. Dgd had another tantrum fit because we were walking and I had to drag her out of her room after practically breaking the door down! She screamed at me, and stomped and went ballistic!
    I won!
    After the dentist I did some digging in the garden, trying to reclaim last years vegetable patch. I did not quite finish it.
    BF had arrived, and gone out for a bike ride.
    Dinner was late, about 7.30 as I was trying to use store cupboard food up, and the kidney beans, soaked overnight, simmered for 1 1/2 hours still were hard, and then I remembered the pressure cooker and used that!
    After washing up, I didn't have the energy to do anything more. I went to bed at 10.15, bf went before me.
    DGDs tooth came out, so I was lucky enough to half a pound left ( and about 45p left in my purse,), so went to play fairy but she woke, so I had to pretend I was in there to shut the curtains etc and went back around 1am!
    I don't think that there is much point in trying to follow a plan today, as by the time I get to about 10am it will have changed!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    2 hours:eek:
    What a day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    We walked to school and work etc yesterday again, but it meant me carrying the scooter home and taking the clothes I'd worked on, back to work in my Mums shopping trolley that I got last year when I didn't have a car. The work is flying through the door and luckily so is the money.aAfter the 'drought ' of April it has picked up quite a pace, which is needed as the new seamstress is on £10 an hour. I also need to pay my bills etc and rebuild the savings as mr Tax Man will require a fairly modest sum.
    Last weeks takings were £448.60, this week so far £680
    I had to count it twice to believe it.
    Still have 1 1/2 days left so the weekly target of £900
    Ultimately I would like to be doing £1,070 if I have to cover the new wage bill and start to pay myself £120 a week.
    I want to up my income this year, if possible, and reduce the benefits etc.
    I think that I will be loosing some based on end of year figures, and HMRC adjustments etc but I don't know exactly how much yet.

I was busy until 5.45 as we now do fittings after the shop is officially closed, or we don't get work done!
    Walked home and I was straight in the kitchen to do dinner. Dgd was out playing and BF went for a bike ride as soon as I got home.
    I dug another strip of the veg patch while dinner was on, and until he came back. We ate at the table on the flag stones, but I was shattered by then, and all I did was separate the washed fabrics from the ironing pile.
    Maybe I will get some ironing done tonight? Maybe not.
    I have my work load ready for me, and the seamstresses marked waiting for her.
    I have to tell staff no more wedding related items to be booked in for May, weddings, as we are fully loaded. I can't squeeze any more in last minute as it is putting my other work behind.
    I am already taking an hour out at Lunchtime as I am having my nails done ready for the big night tomorrow for BF long Service Dinner.
    I don't know much about it, will have to be on my best behaviour and look the part. He has been at his job since he was 18, he's now 56.
    Obviously with promotions etc but I still think that in this day and age it is unusual.
    Longer than my Dad was in the RAF !
    Time to move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure