Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    • 319Posts
    • 2,115Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Bricks Not Books
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    Bricks Not Books 1st Jan 17 at 10:04 AM
    The first day of a New Year seems like the best time to start this diary! I was on this board under another name for a number of years, but I felt like a change of name as well as a change of diary, so here I am!

Completed on new home with OH in December, we haven't even owned it for a month yet. But we have a mortgage of 160k and we both hate being in debt, so we've already made plans to start overpaying. OH isn't in the best paid job (Civil Service) and I'm on a temporary contract, albeit with a manager who is keen to keep me on, but I hate the uncertainty of it. So I'm definitely going to be job hunting, and he will be too in coming months.

Mr VH has never lived away from home before. I moved away at university, moved back after graduation, moved out a few years later and spent 4 years as a lodger in a flat in London with a lovely couple, and then moved back with parents again. I've spent over a year sleeping on a sofa there as what was meant to be "temporary while we look for a place to rent" turned in to "let's buy a house together". Had a bit of a nightmare with the purchase, and we're still not actually in the house properly as it needs some work done on it. We've got a 5 year fix from Halifax at 2.74%, with monthly payments that are affordable. As we've never owned property before and it's been years since I had to work out budgets for bills (been paying all-inclusive rent at London and with parents) we decided to err on the side of caution. We set ourselves a realistic amount for repaying the mortage each month, and the one we eventually got came in 30 under that amount. So we're already going to OP 30 as our budget allows us that flexibility.

But even though we're not under the roof yet we still have a mortgage to pay XD First payment comes out in 3 days time and then we're on the path to 29 years of a mortgage. I'm 31 and OH will be 30 in a few months, and this is our first home. Not a forever home, we don't have children yet but want them in the future and this place is just about big enough for small ones, but would be cramped for older children.

Our house is currently going through some work due to years of being a student let, the last owners were intent on bleeding the place dry and then dumping it. We're going to look after this place, but it's taken up a lot of our savings. I've factored rebuilding the savings in to our budget, and also set up a spreadsheet to see the impact our OPs will have on the term, daily and monthly interest.

So our targets to start with are;
    • Build an emergency fund of 1000
    • Match the budgeted 30 a month overpayment through wombling, discounts, roadkill, earning extra pennies, saving loose change, and Tilly Tidies, so well aim to be OPing over 60 a month.
    • Drop below the 155k mark by January 2017.
    • Enjoy living in our new home together

Fun Numbers;
    - Without overpaying well go under 155k in May 2017.
    - With 60 a month OPing well go under 155k in February 2017 only need a little extra stretch to remove that last month!
    - Without overpaying well drop under 11 daily interest in August 2020!
    - With 60 a month OPing well drop under 11 daily interest in February 2020.
    - Without overpaying well take 29 years to pay off the mortgage.
    - With 60 a month OPing well take 25 years to pay off the mortgage!
    - In order to pay it off in 20 years wed need to OP 200 a month.
    - If we OP by the monthly interest (c. 320 a month) wed pay it all off in16 years!

I think well stick with 60 for now XD

And as for the diary title - between me and OH we practically own a library Need to cut back on paper purchases in favour of paying off more of the house!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 219.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
Page 8
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Happy Easter. Well done on doing laundry. Your blog sounds fascinating. One of my best friends writes history books - hard work but great to research. That's her full time job so I don't know how you have time to do that after work. Gosh you do work hard.

I ate my egg within Steve and Andy giving it to me. The worst bit is I'm supposed to be on a diet. lol.

Happy Easter and enjoy the lie in tomorrow.
    Chiistmas Fund 80 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 5th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Hope you had a lovely Easter SW! I'm rationing my eggs so hopefully I won't need to buy much chocolate this month.

I made the mistake of doing my Easter visits at the end. On Sunday we drove over to my parents for Sunday lunch. It was lovely to see everyone, Eldest Little Sister was back from university, and I met my brother's girlfriend. She's very nice, few years younger than him but definitely more mature. She also informed us that when she first met my brother he was "charming" First and last time anyone will describe my brother with that adjective.

Then on Monday my in-laws came round. FIL and DH put the new skirting boards up in the office while I talked to MIL, and then we drove to a nice place for lunch.

But we had to get up early-ish on Monday morning to be presentable when in-laws arrived, and me and DH didn't sleep very well Monday night, so I was already feeling very worn out by Tuesday afternoon. Should have had the visits on the first two days and the other two days to relax. In the end I asked my manager if I could work from home today as well as Friday and since it's so quiet she said yes.

So this morning I had a small lie-in (until 8am) before starting work. I also managed to do some laundry and set it out to dry in the sunshine, and went for a walk at lunchtime. After I logged off for the day I then unpacked and photographed every single piece of wedding china, so I can list it all as one big lot on Facebook, and then repacked it in some cardboard boxes so the plastic ones can go back to my parents. Glad it's all sorted out, now just need to sell it.

Just sat down and did a money shuffle. Almost got enough saved for the car's cambelt so that's a positive. Sent an OP of 65.29 - our standard 30 plus 35.29 from Quidco. Just need my expenses from work to be paid and that will be it for this month. Car needs to be my focus instead.

Oh and I've bought a desk from Argos. I've had my eye on a lovely one at IKEA but it was just too expensive in the end. Got a corner one from Argos with 20% off as they're having a home furnishings sale. Just need to finish off the skirting board and get a new carpet put in and then the desk can be assembled. Then I'll finally be able to unpack all my boxes And God help me if I don't unpack them all as I think DH might get a bit sarcastic!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Apr 18, 4:44 AM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good morning, your family sounds great. Sorry it wore you out though. It is so difficult managing to balance it all. It sounds like a good idea to change the timing of it for next year though.

lt's good that you have started the photos and selling of the china. Do remember to keep a piece of the special day. Great news on the OP.

I wouldn't even know where to start to put a desk together. That's when you call your friends in. Get on the phone girlfriend.

Have a good Friday. I'm marking all day.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 8th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    We've got two of the full sets my MIL managed to collect for our wedding day SW, and I've kept aside a few extra cake plates with a nice pattern and two cake stands. Looking forward to doing some kind of anniversary afternoon tea in the future

No interest so far in the china, but I live in hope. If necessary I'll sign back up to some Facebook selling boards near my parent's place and list them there.

Desk has arrived, at 20:50 on Friday! Argos were using Yodel and we were second from last on the delivery list. So good that it's arrived but did mean I had to stay in all day Friday. They didn't give me an estimated time but did tell me how many people were in front of me. However the number wasn't moving down at a particularly steady rate so I couldn't work out when the most likely time for delivery was, if they'd said we were nearly last I could have gone out.

But nevermind, me and DH had to go out yesterday anyway. So we went to Homebase for some masonary nails and white paint, to a carpet shop to buy carpet and book a fitting (in 2 weeks time, so the office is now almost finished), and then Mr W and Mr T for food. As usual with me taking DH the food shopping came in well over budget due to extra things being added to the trolley, but he paid for the slightly more expensive shop so I'm not complaining too loudly. He also paid for the carpet and fitting in one go so I've transferred my share to him this afternoon.

Once the carpet is down then the desk can be assembled, and then I can start setting up my little office corner! Must remember to buy some shelving quickly too as I have a lot of folders that need to be stowed away safely. DH also needs to get his bookcases brought over from his parents place so he can unpack the remainder of his books. Then we just have the smallest bedroom to do, and to consider if there's any cheap/easy changes we can make to the kitchen to improve it a bit.

Nice easy dinner yesterday of pizza, and tonight is steak baguettes (with some extra chips for DH).

Have a good week everyone!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 13,215 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for new office. Gosh you have such busy weekends. I feel so lazy in comparison. I am sure the lovely porcelain will be sold eventually - summer is the best time for weddings so when you relist it will sell for sure.

Just think in a few weeks it'll be sunny and bright and we can all sit in our gardens. Your food always sounds great. Yum. Have a good week my friend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,243Posts Today

4,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin