Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    • 319Posts
    • 2,115Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Bricks Not Books
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    Bricks Not Books 1st Jan 17 at 10:04 AM
    The first day of a New Year seems like the best time to start this diary! I was on this board under another name for a number of years, but I felt like a change of name as well as a change of diary, so here I am!

Completed on new home with OH in December, we haven't even owned it for a month yet. But we have a mortgage of 160k and we both hate being in debt, so we've already made plans to start overpaying. OH isn't in the best paid job (Civil Service) and I'm on a temporary contract, albeit with a manager who is keen to keep me on, but I hate the uncertainty of it. So I'm definitely going to be job hunting, and he will be too in coming months.

Mr VH has never lived away from home before. I moved away at university, moved back after graduation, moved out a few years later and spent 4 years as a lodger in a flat in London with a lovely couple, and then moved back with parents again. I've spent over a year sleeping on a sofa there as what was meant to be "temporary while we look for a place to rent" turned in to "let's buy a house together". Had a bit of a nightmare with the purchase, and we're still not actually in the house properly as it needs some work done on it. We've got a 5 year fix from Halifax at 2.74%, with monthly payments that are affordable. As we've never owned property before and it's been years since I had to work out budgets for bills (been paying all-inclusive rent at London and with parents) we decided to err on the side of caution. We set ourselves a realistic amount for repaying the mortage each month, and the one we eventually got came in 30 under that amount. So we're already going to OP 30 as our budget allows us that flexibility.

But even though we're not under the roof yet we still have a mortgage to pay XD First payment comes out in 3 days time and then we're on the path to 29 years of a mortgage. I'm 31 and OH will be 30 in a few months, and this is our first home. Not a forever home, we don't have children yet but want them in the future and this place is just about big enough for small ones, but would be cramped for older children.

Our house is currently going through some work due to years of being a student let, the last owners were intent on bleeding the place dry and then dumping it. We're going to look after this place, but it's taken up a lot of our savings. I've factored rebuilding the savings in to our budget, and also set up a spreadsheet to see the impact our OPs will have on the term, daily and monthly interest.

So our targets to start with are;
    • Build an emergency fund of 1000
    • Match the budgeted 30 a month overpayment through wombling, discounts, roadkill, earning extra pennies, saving loose change, and Tilly Tidies, so well aim to be OPing over 60 a month.
    • Drop below the 155k mark by January 2017.
    • Enjoy living in our new home together

Fun Numbers;
    - Without overpaying well go under 155k in May 2017.
    - With 60 a month OPing well go under 155k in February 2017 only need a little extra stretch to remove that last month!
    - Without overpaying well drop under 11 daily interest in August 2020!
    - With 60 a month OPing well drop under 11 daily interest in February 2020.
    - Without overpaying well take 29 years to pay off the mortgage.
    - With 60 a month OPing well take 25 years to pay off the mortgage!
    - In order to pay it off in 20 years wed need to OP 200 a month.
    - If we OP by the monthly interest (c. 320 a month) wed pay it all off in16 years!

I think well stick with 60 for now XD

And as for the diary title - between me and OH we practically own a library Need to cut back on paper purchases in favour of paying off more of the house!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 219.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
Page 7
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 46,764 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm so glad you had a good month. Well done on the OP and getting the house together. It's great. I can't wait till the weather improves and we can garden. It is so cheery.
    Chiistmas Fund 80 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 18th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Have been bad about spending money this week. Bought some garden bulbs for 10 that I saw on the MSE newsletter, and spent some money stocking up on toiletries in Boots as I had a triple points voucher Then checked my bank account this evening and realised I had even less money than I thought I should have. Eventually realised, after scrolling through my transaction history, that I've double OP-ed our standard 30 this month! I forgot I sent it at the start of the month, and sent it again last week.

So on the plus side we've OPed over 80 this month but on the other hand my account is looking a bit sorry for itself.

Went to the garden centre yesterday and bought some garden bits; two violas for the hanging baskets and four terracotta pots to start planting the bulbs in. Got some of it started yesterday afternoon but ran out of compost so need to buy some of that before I plant out more. Also realised that the lavender I managed to keep alive last year is now waterlogged and I can't work out how to drain it, so I think that may end up a winter casualty Not to self - buy proper terracotta pots with proper drainage next year!

The gardening spends yesterday came to just over 10 so I used some of my "Miscellaneous" cash fund for that.

Today me and DH had lunch out with the in-laws. Had a lovely Sunday roast in a nice pub, roast beef for me, with 3/4s of my MIL's Yorkshire Pudding (she gets full up easily and can't eat much gluten) and some extra pigs in blankets on the side. Then had a chocolate brownie sundae for dessert, but DH had to finish off the last few spoonfuls as I was stuffed. Lovely meal though, need to remember to leave them some positive feedback on Facebook later.

This week I need to be strict about my spending. Cash only, if I don't want to part with the cash then I don't want to buy whatever I'm looking at. Will try to walk around the shops on my lunch break without actually walking in to them.

Oh and despite my hopes this week was not great for traffic, almost every journey was delayed or diverted by an accident or a breakdown (other people's) so that I only really had one good journey in to work and one good journey home. Bit of a waste of a half term really.

Have a lovely week everyone!

• muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 18th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 35,886 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Oh and despite my hopes this week was not great for traffic, almost every journey was delayed or diverted by an accident or a breakdown (other people's) so that I only really had one good journey in to work and one good journey home. Bit of a waste of a half term really.
    Originally posted by VintageHistorian
    Bummer! I must have struck lucky <35 minutes every day instead of 50-60 minutes
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~35,000
    Current total overpayments: ~123,250
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 18th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Bummer! I must have struck lucky <35 minutes every day instead of 50-60 minutes
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    I have traffic envy MWC I was quite unlucky on Tuesday (I think it was Tuesday) as my journey in included a bad accident on the A120 near Great Dunmow, which is the first proper accident I've been caught in the congestion for on that road.

On the plus side my journeys home are a bit lighter so I'm getting some nice sunsets over the Essex countryside when I take my "M11 is !!!!!!ed" route.

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Feb 18, 6:37 AM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 46,764 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You lot and your traffic envy you're making me laugh. lol. Well done on new plants. I wonder if you have the time to repot the lavender? I too have non holey pots and think I am going to risk leaving it. I am sure the weather will sort itself out eventually.

A double overpayment. Maybe you wont have to make one next month? That dinner sounds sublime.

Have a good week.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 22,678 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Move to The Shire, no traffic here ...... I mean, no, don't move to The Shire, what am I saying

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 3.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 100% Emergency Fund: 58%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 19th Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 35,886 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken

My commute takes me through two shires... and the traffic is terrible in both of them!
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~35,000
    Current total overpayments: ~123,250
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 24th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I think mine technically takes me through three shires (well, two that end in Shire plus Essex) and there's generally bad traffic in at least one of them

Realised how little of this month's to-do list I've actually done, so I got my backside in gear this morning and photographed some of the wedding china. Namely the cake stands, milk jugs, sugar bowls, and a teapot. Listed them on Facebook but no bites so far, will also pop them up on the local forum this evening. Would really like to sell them and a get a bit of cash, either for the maternity fund, OPing, or maybe to splash out on a desk. Or a combination of all three.

DH had a tidy up of the food cupboard the other night so I did some stocking up when food shopping yesterday. Several extra tins of soup, plus some gravy packets, some more pasta, some extra tins of chopped tomatoes, and some passata. I also tidied up the freezer and realised just how many yellow sticker frozen ready meals I've got in it for DH, so April may involved one "freezer dive" night a week.

I also realised that we're out of cooked meatballs in tomato sauce. Only had 5 Ikea meatballs left in the bag so bought some Waitrose pork meatballs as well. Four of them fell apart as soon as I started cooking them Really not impressed with Waitrose at the moment, half the time they can't keep the shelves stocked properly, they've changed the pick your own offers, and now I can't even trust them to not stuff their food with water. Will stick to Ikea meatballs in the future, just need to actually get down there at some point.

Dinner tonight is gammon, egg and homemade potato wedges, tomorrow will be toad in the hole with crispy cubed spuds!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 3rd Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I've spent most of this week working from home because of the snow. Went in on Monday and kept a close eye on the reports as my bit of Essex was on the edge of the amber alert for snow. It then got upgraded in the afternoon to amber, so I warned my boss that I might have to work from home Tuesday.

Got up at my normal time on Tuesday and looked out the window, it had snowed a bit and I watched my neighbour's partner struggle to get out of the road before I decided to go back to bed and work from home. But getting up a few hours later and seeing the snow in the daylight made me wonder if I should have gone in as it didn't look that bad. Halfway through the morning though it started snowing heavily and just didn't stop! Was so glad I'd stayed after all as I might have struggled to get home in it otherwise!

On Wednesday me and DH had annual leave anyway as we'd booked tickets to go to the Winnie the Pooh exhibition at the V&A Museum. I didn't want to drive to the station so we walked through the snow, had several delayed trains but got in to London in the end. Had a nice walk around the exhibit, which was really well designed, and bought a few bits in the gift shop before heading home. We'd planned on having dinner out but obviously that wasn't really a good idea, so we got takeaway on our walk back home. My legs were aching once we got in as going uphill in snow was hard on the old muscles.

Thursday I managed to drive in to work but the roads were very slippery, and the road I take to get out of the village was down to one lane due to drifting snow. It turned out that the main road in was blocked completely by huge drifts and a delivery lorry had got stuck! People were also saying that it was snowing again, so I ended up doing everything that needed me in the office and then went back home at lunchtime, got back close to 3 and then worked late at home to make up the hours. It carried on snowing again in the afternoon so again I was glad I'd decided to come home. Think my boss was getting a bit annoyed as Cambridge hasn't had nearly as much snow as Essex, but there's not a lot I can do about that.

Friday is my normal working from home day so stayed indoors. Risked going out in the evening to get some fresh food. Didn't need much but spends still came to my usual weekly amount because we needed to restock teabags, laundry tabs, and some cleaning bits for DH. DH's work closed early yesterday and his bosses sent him home 45 minutes before closing as the trains were getting worse, I met him at the top of the hill when he walked up as it was snowing again last night and I didn't want to get down the hill only to find I couldn't get back up! Think we'll spend most of the weekend indoors, I should go for a walk but I'm feeling headachy and had a sore throat last night so a few days staying warm might be the better idea.

Dinner tonight is roast pork loin chops with potatoes and greens! Nice hot dinner after the chilly week. OP for February was 84.04 thanks to me duplicating an OP XD Nevermind, it all helps. Handed in my February expenses form on Thursday which was over 20, we'll see what March brings in terms of getting some extra pennies.

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 46,764 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    What a snowy week it has been. Rest as much as possible and hopefully your cold will go. I'm in the same state. It isn't supposed to snow here today but we have snow clouds again. I am staying in too. We are so fortunate we get paid for not going in.

Well done on the OP. Think nice things about the summer to stay happy. Have a good weekend my friend.
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 3rd Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    selloptape
    Lovely positive diary how were the frozen potato wedges? Such a good idea!
    GC April 180.31/300March 322.53/350
    2 Savers Club #59 58
    MFW 2018 #49 600/3,000
    MFiT T4 #21 - reduce mortgage by 20k over 3 years
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 17th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    selloptape - I must confess, I never made the potato wedges! Really should sort that out at some point and get some in the freezer XD

Lots of stuff has been dropped over the past two weeks due to some really hideous journeys home. Had to stay at work late for an event on a Monday, which was fine, but then had to be in the office for a second event on the Friday of the same week and Fridays are a nightmare for journeys, it took me over 3 hours to get home that night Then last week I had two more bad journeys where I didn't get home until after 7 (I leave work at 5), so it's been quite exhausting and I really haven't been in the best of moods.

But I did get to work from home yesterday and the small lie-in I got helped me feel a bit brighter. DH had yesterday off work as the trains were !!!!!!ed due to a landslip along our line, so he came out with me to do the food shopping. We managed to get it roughly within budget, which was positive, but he does have a tendency to dawdle, get in my way, or just not listen when we're going around the supermarket (several times I asked him to just wait at the top of the aisle rather than negotiate around multiple trolleys but he decided to follow me anyway, and then got stuck by other people's trolleys). But it was very nice to have someone help with the heavy lifting.

Task for this weekend is to work on a job application for a role that's within walking distance of the house I've applied for jobs with the same place in the past but they've made some changes to their online portal and it looks like they've removed all old accounts as part of it, so I have to input all my old job data again It's so time consuming and dull, but obviously essential that I do it right so I need to find the energy to focus on it for a few hours. And then write the personal statement of course.

Had a bit of an annoyance with one of my savings accounts. The 100 I was putting in to a fixed-rate ISA was bouncing. Turns out I didn't read the fine-print properly, you can only put money in during the first 30 days So it's got 200 sitting in it and I can't add anything else. Frustrating but at least it's only a few weeks until the new tax year, so I'll set up a standard ISA in April and start paying the money in to that instead, and just transfer out the 200 when the fixed-rate comes to an end. It was only a 1 year offer. Just annoying that I didn't understand what I was doing at the time.

I have a list of things I'm supposed to do in March but how much will get done is another matter entirely after the recent journeys. At the very least I need to buy some essential house bits off Argos so I'll try to remember to do that this weekend.

Little bit of snow falling here but not enough to disrupt traffic. Going to have a bacon sandwich as a late breakfast/early lunch soon. Dinner tonight is chicken and parma ham pasta, one of my favourites.

No OP news as I'm still waiting on my expenses to be paid. Also need to file a claim for delayed trains when me and DH went in to London last month, must get that done soon as you can only claim within 30 days and that's rushing ever closer!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 46,764 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good luck with the job application. It will be fab time-wise if you get it. The ISA pay in details on the account were a bit strange. Hopefully next year's will be better.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 18th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Thanks SW, application submitted this afternoon so just a case of sitting and waiting now.

Checked my bank account last night and my expenses was pending for Monday! Haven't had the email from work to say it's on the way, but it was sitting there, so scheduled an OP of 30.56 - expenses were 28.35 and I did a TT of 2.21. So that's 60 done for this month, might try another TT before the end of the month if I manage some NSDs.

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 25th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Last week was a bit better for car journeys, only one iffy one that got me home a few minutes after 7. Was hoping to work from home this Thursday as the state schools all finish that afternoon and the traffic is going to be Hell, but we have too many people in the office on annual leave that day Have lined up a very easy dinner of chicken goujon baguettes and DH is aware that I might be in a bad mood that evening.

Finally put my backside in gear last night and did two Delay Repay claims for my train journey to and from London back in February when it snowed. The return journey refund paid out within 10 minutes of the claim, which was nice, but the journey out hasn't. I don't think I filled that part in correctly, our train was cancelled at Colchester so we had to get off and wait on the platform. After about 15 minutes they announced that the next train to London was at a different platform, so we hurried on to it, and when we got to London they apologised for the 30 minute delay, but although I know what time the train left Colchester I can't find any information about it on Recent Train Times, just a blank space which indicates that it was cancelled too. So I submitted my claim on the basis that our first train was cancelled, which it was, but they may not accept that as I can't tell them how I managed to get to London after.

Anyway, I've got 16.60 from my return ticket (had to buy two singles as we weren't sure what time we'd return home and didn't want to pay for peak time when not using it, or pay for off peak and risk having to stand in a queue to upgrade it) which came straight to my Paypal account. I've used it to restock some sold out badges on my website.

Plus now that I can see how it works I think I'll start encouraging DH to claim when his trains are delayed or cancelled. His choice if he wants to get a voucher for the refund or put it through my Paypal account (he doesn't have one as he doesn't like having his bank details stored online). If it goes through my Paypal then I can withdraw the money and use it to OP the mortgage, if he gets a voucher it'll go towards his next month's season ticket. But it seems like it will be easy to do once we get in a habit of photographing his season ticket, and Greater Anglia are rubbish so I'd rather we start claiming back his money than let them keep it.

This week I need to phone Disney and upgrade our visit to include mealplans as I've worked out that they'll be cheaper than showing up and paying on the door. We've also discovered that our trip will be coinciding with then the Parisian schools are on their Easter holiday, so it won't be as quiet as we hoped But as my Mum has pointed out, we won't be going with children of our own so if the queue lengths are too long we can sit down somewhere with a book and a hot drink and just enjoy the atmosphere, or go back to the hotel for a nap and go back out in the evening with more energy. Plus we can get in to the park early as we're staying in a Disney hotel, so that will help things a bit first thing.

Getting quite excited about it all now. Need to start thinking about what to pack, will borrow a suitcase off my parents again. Also need to sort out buying the Euros, but want to sit down and calculate a daily budget first. With breakfast and dinner paid for in advance it'll be lunches, snacks, and a bit of shopping if anything catches my eye. So not too much, but it's so easy to overspend so I want to make sure I have a decent but not excessive budget. Also need to see if I have any Euros left over from our Rome trip a few years ago, or if my parents have any that they want to sell us.

Job I applied for last week closes today so now I have to hope that I get an interview. Applied for another one in Suffolk during the week. That didn't have a closing date but I've noticed it's no longer showing on their vacancies page so I assume that's now closed too. I'd like an interview for at least one of them, if only to help my ego

DH is now cleaning the house. I've already made our lunches for tomorrow. Dinner tonight is my absolute favourite - toad in the hole! I would have made the batter already as well but there's no room in the fridge for it.

Need to try and remember to do a TT by Wednesday, think I can find an extra 5 to shove at the mortgage. Have a lovely week everyone!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 46,764 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Bootiful, well done on claiming for train tickets. Gosh that's good research on Disney. Every penny helps.

I do hope you get the job and can save on the travel times. The weekend has been lovely down south. I hope you managed to pop out for a bit. Yum to toad in the hole. I'm having spag bol.

Have a great week and stay happy. You are doing great.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 28th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Greater Anglia came back to me about my claim for the journey to London, saying they won't process my claim until I submit a photo showing the ticket has been defaced or torn. I don't have the ticket, because it was a single and the machine swallowed it, so that'll be rejected

On the other hand I spoke to DH about reclaiming journeys for his season ticket. We've agreed that I'll file any claims, they'll go to my Paypal and then I'll transfer the money to my account to OP it. They've now paid out for DH's return journey from the museum and sent 7.60, so I've paid that tonight with a final TT of 2.87!

That means that March's total OPs were; 71.03

Next month will be a very big OP with very little effort - I need to claim 30 from work, and I've got 30 pending on Quidco that I can cashout next week, so with our standard OP we're looking at 90 next month! That will give me a bit more leeway to focus on the holiday savings and bump up the car savings, I've realised it needs the 60k miles service and that includes getting the cambelt changed, which will be around 300 Don't have that much in the car savings at the moment so I'd better get that money sorted.

Had a lovely charity shop find the other day. A bright red Monsoon dress in red cotton, with a lined skirt. Was 7 and it looks fabulous when tried on. I was trying to find another new dress to wear around Disney all our holiday photos feature me wearing the same outfits, and I really wanted a nice red one as it's DH's favourite colour, so I'm very chuffed to have got one for under 10!

So focus next month on getting my holiday spending money together. Along with using some of the savings I've already set aside, I also want to try and conserve as much of my normal spending money this month to bump it up a bit. I shouldn't need to spend too much, I've deliberately kept planned house item purchases quite small for April and now I've got my charity dress I don't need to look out for any other bits of clothing, in charity shops or any other shops! I've also got plenty of books on the bookcase to be getting on with so I don't need to look for those either.

We'll see how that goes

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 30th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Me and DH both agreed that if it wasn't a four day bank holiday this weekend then we might both have to book a random day off, especially DH as he was meant to be doing a 6 day week this week but luckily bank holiday weekend means his place his closed on the Saturday. He could barely get off the sofa yesterday evening, I could barely get out of bed to brush my teeth.

We've both just had a very busy few months, DH getting used to his new job and me being very busy at work and having a series of terrible commutes. Both looking forward to our week off in a few weeks time.

I phoned Disney and sorted out our meal plans, the cost has gone up a bit as they've released their new season pricing But still cheaper than paying on the door, and DH will certainly eat enough to get his money's worth. I've also booked us a table at Plaza Gardens for each night of our stay as it seems to be the best rated buffet restaurant in the park, and then we can sort out lunches and snacks as we walk around.

I've started off a relaxing morning with a cheese scone, several cups of tea, and reading a magazine. DH is still asleep. Once he's up and dressed we're going to go to a local gardens place. We got a voucher for BOGOF on entry tickets in a Christmas card from the tree surgeon company that cut back our field maple. It expires on 10 April so we're going to use it today. Then we'll go and do the food shopping, must remember to not get frustrated with DH when he wanders around

My failure to do any proper exercise other than walking in the past few months is starting to annoy me, so I looked up a beginners yoga video on Youtube. Managed to get halfway through it before I gave up because the woman's way of describing things was annoying me. "Place your heart over your centre" Do you mean 'sit up straight'?? "You should be able to feel an energy moment" Do you mean I can feel my leg muscle stretch? Maybe I'm just too sarcastic for proper yoga I tried searching for some UK-based videos as I think some of it might be me hearing an American accent tell me to "find my centre", just reminds me of all those terrible evangelical channels you get on Sky. Maybe a good solid Yorkshire accent telling me to not stick my !!!! out will help Or a London accent going "Keep your bloody elbows tucked in at the side!" Perhaps I should encourage someone to start a Youtube channel called "Straightforward Yoga" or "Yoga without the BS language". Except for most people the calm tone and flowery language is all part of the experience.

Right, time to go make another cup of tea. Friday night is ready meal night so a nice easy dinner! Have a lovely first Bank Holiday day everyone!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 31st Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Yesterday's garden walk probably should have been postponed to next weekend after all. It was very muddy underfoot, bits of it were roped off due to being waterlogged, and it rained the entire time, although not heavily enough for DH to need to put up his brolly.

But we did agree that it was a nice place to stroll around so we'll go back in the summer when it's dry and in bloom, there were lots of different types of narcissi, and some very pretty blue-purple star-shaped flowers as well, with a scattering of snowdrops around the place too. Lunch in the cafe was also very nice, cheese scone and a slice of cake for me and a sandwich and slice of bread pudding for DH. Lovely DH also offered to pay for lunch so all I paid for was the reduced entry fee.

Food shopping was then done afterwards, including a load of chocolate to give to my brother as it was his birthday on Thursday. Then home to pack away the food and have a lazy evening watching Youtube.

Today I need to write a blog post on Juana of Castile. It needs to go up in May so I really must get it done soon. Started it a few weeks ago but ground to a halt as I don't understand medieval Castilian politics well enough to sum it up in a few lines But it really needs to be done so I'll try and find some brain focus this afternoon. Also need to batch cook bolognese for the freezer, and I should go for a walk but there's enormous grey clouds sitting over us as I type so I suspect today will be much like tomorrow - endless rain.

Have a lovely Saturday everyone!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 31st Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Yesterday felt like a Saturday and today felt like a Sunday, which is why I have the small knot of tension in my stomach. My brain is thinking "I have to start the long commute again tomorrow", when it's actually got two more days.

Just a reminder that I need to apply for a few more jobs I guess!

Laundry is done. Bolognese is cooked, batched up and popped in the freezer (made 6 portions in the end). Gave up on Juana of Castile and swapped her out for Caroline Matilda of Great Britain. I'm doing a blog series on "Unlucky Princesses" and thankfully there were quite a lot of them to choose from! That said I'm struggling to now get my head around 17th century Danish politics, so we'll see how this progresses. The anticipated rain came in dribs and drabs all afternoon so I've stayed in.

DH has cleaned the house and we've had southern fried chicken, with curly fries and corn on the cob for dinner. Easter eggs are in the fridge ready for tomorrow, when I'm sure I shall be informed that I'm not allowed chocolate for breakfast.

Happy Easter everyone!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,832Posts Today

8,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin