Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 3:05 AM
    • 1,558Posts
    • 7,798Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 3:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 3:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over 2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a 475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about 1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 55
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Apr 19, 9:41 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you CCL...hope you have a good break from school as well.

It has been so lovely to be able to relax today. Normally Sundays are filled with rushing around to make sure everyone has what they need and then lots of work dread, but it has been so good to relax today. I confess I even fell asleep this afternoon!

I've made chicken cobbler for tea ( a favourite with most if the children). DD1 made some drizzle iced biscuits for pudding which went down well. I've been able to do a circular walk this evening with DS1 and my elderly lurcher. I'm learning that some of the best conversations with my older children happen naturally when walking. The sunset was beautiful this evening. We stopped in a field gateway and simply enjoyed the beauty of the sky.
    paydbx2019 #93 572.38/10,100 .
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Apr 19, 10:20 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 16,887 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think I'd be inclined to make the CC payment manually then complain to the bank that it had been missed. When the bank didn't change my mortgage payment as arranged, causing a missed payment, I rang them up and explained and was given a compensatory payment as it was their mistake and if I'd not been ahead with payments I'd have been penalised
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018 Overpaid by 555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 543/2019 as of 17/4/19
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Apr 19, 6:15 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Cherryfudge, a manual payment seems to be the best thing. Yesterday I had to transfer 100 to use towards the council tax payment I'd forgotten so glad that's out of the way. I'll make sure council tax is in big red capital letters in my financial planning book for next month!

I spent 4 hours at work yesterday trying to get everything ready for next term. We got back at usual work time, so tea was cobbled together. I had some frozen fish portions in the freezer so poached them in milk, flaked them and made a kind of cod and salmon kedgeree. It was quite nice, not as good as using smoked haddock but a decent alternative. I was going to do banana and custard for dessert but got callled away on taxiing duty.

I need to fill up the tins today and make time to defrost the freezer and stocktake. Nhoping that I can get out with the children, even if for a ramble somewhere!
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Apr 19, 11:13 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    It's been a delightfully busy day today and I didn't manage to do either task I set myself this morning! I've not done any work based tasks today and tried not to worry about it . Instead I've done more loads of laundry, can't remember how many, and got some line dried . I found my push mower that I bought last year, put WD40 on all moving parts and then cut the lawn. It was so beautiful outside and I really enjoyed just pottering around the garden. DS3 joined me and was happily rediscovering his pedal tractor!

I had to go to the nearest town this afternoon but got a couple of jobs done from the list the solicitor gave me last week. Both were little jobs but needed doing and I felt better feeling I'd done something towards the list . I had to do a little top up at Mr T's then DD1 volunteered to cook tea ( enchiladas) which gave me enough time to nip to the allotment and dig over part of a bed and plant 3 gooseberry bushes . These bushes have been waiting to be planted for the last 2 or 3 weeks, so am very glad to have got that job done. I also had time to walk a dog with DS1.

DS3 helped me to check the plants this evening and I got a large tray of calendulas sown, a tray of echium ( bees love these and the vivid blue colour is beautiful) and a tray of sunflowers. I potted on 2 lupins and a couple of scabious plants . Potted up 4 strawberry plants too.

Back inside I've done a bit of ironing until I got too tired to do anymore!! It was a satisfyingly productive day. This week
    I have my occupational health appointment which I am not looking forward to and am quite worried about
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 10th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Sounds like a fab day. We had awful rain for most of it, so much less outside stuff done here!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Apr 19, 7:24 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The appointment went better than I thought. It helped me to see that my everyday juggle is stressful before you add in bereavement, the legal stuff and work stress . If you are plodding though a situation, sometimes you get so used to it, it becomes your normal, but the stress doesn't stop. It helped me to see that a couple of health niggles are a direct cause of stress, which I hadn't realised.

Did a fair amount of taxiing yesterday for children but spent the evening walking the coast path with DD2. She had found a route that was circular. We ran out of light to get the whole walk done ( it is a 5 mile walk) but the part that we did was beautiful and we were able to see the sun set. I definitely felt better for the exercise .

On Tuesday I popped along to a local gym. I have been paying a monthly subscription for DS1 for over a year, which worked well when he was at school, as he used to go after school most days, but now he is at college in a different location, he rarely goes. I cancelled the membership and have cheekily asked if the DDs can use up the notice period time. That will be an extra 22 saved a month .
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Apr 19, 8:22 AM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 16,887 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've found occupational health can be very helpful too. I talked to someone who coincidentally had had the same injury as me, so we compared notes and she gave me additional information - very supportive.

The cliff walk sounds lovely: this time of year is so beautiful, if a bit chilly at times. Good to blow the cobwebs away and make memories with your DD.

264 a year saved over the gym membership! Well done (and a freebie for the DDs too ).
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Apr 19, 6:25 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    It took me a little while to get going yesterday ( not such good sleep the previous night) but since the weather was dry and sunny, I headed to the beach with 4 DDs and DS3. We took a picnic and enjoyed being in the fresh air! DS3 has reached the stage of everything being fascinating. He ran, climbed, splashed, collected and dug non-stop. It was so lovely to see his zest for life...it's infectious!! The tide was out so there was a good amount of rock pools to explore.

I did get 3 lots of laundry done, most of which was line dried. I paid 15 off one debt, gave 20 to DD1 towards a birthday treat of having her hair done and spent more on food than I wanted to. I need to find a cheaper way to do picnics. I'm fine at the sweet baking side but find that I tend to nip to Mr T!'s and if I'm not careful, too much is spent on savoury snack. Need to adapt my baking I think to include sausage rolls / cheese straws etc

DD has a party today so I'm hoping to get a fair amount of work tasks done. I can't believe we're a week through the holidays already.
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 12-04-2019 at 6:31 AM.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 16,887 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I was thinking of cheese straws for your picnics then saw you'd already got them. I used to do a sort of pizza pinwheel - it was from a packet mix (Morries I think) and I've no idea if they still make it but it would be easy to replicate.

Other good ones are cold pasta salad, or a rice or cous cous salad.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Apr 19, 2:41 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Cherryfudge, I remember making pizza pinwheels when DD1 was about 5 but haven't done them since. I know which cookbook has that recipe!!! What a good idea about pasta salad or couscous. DS3 loves pasta in any form so that would go down well.

Yesterday (Fri) was an odd day, I had mislaid something and ended up turning out half of my bedroom trying to find it. The good thing was half a bag of clutter left the bedroom in the process of looking and DS1 found the item fairly easily even though I'd been searching for ages! I didn't get done much of what I'd planned to do, so will need to crack on with those tasks today.

Paid 65 off a debt yesterday and have planned the next couple of weeks carefully as I hope to get more of the school trips paid.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Apr 19, 9:16 PM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 40,612 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Pleased that the appointment was helpful HSL. Are you going back again?
    NST April #11 nsd = 12 1 debt vs 100 days #5 553/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 997.60/5750
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Apr 19, 1:24 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you CCL. The OH person recommended counselling so am waiting to hear about that. Hopefully the counselling sessions will be a little more local to me. Unfortunately sleep pattern has gone awry again so need to get this right before going back to work.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Apr 19, 1:37 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Saturday went by in a blur! Got 2 loads of washing done and most dried on the line . I did pop to work and got some bits and pieces done for the new term. Took DD3 to a different supermarket so that she could use one of these photo printing machines. It's probably an expensive way to do it, but our printer literally went bang in January and she needs these pictures for her GCSE folder. We were going to do the weekly shop there but I find it so big, busy and noisy I bid a hasty retreat and drove back to our normal shop. It was on the way home anyway!

DS1 wants pasties for one meal this week. They take a bit of time so I can only do them at weekends. My mum is visiting tomorrow and she has requested a stew, so will dust off the slow cooker and use that. I must get the tins topped up. It seems ages since I had a good baking session!
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 14-04-2019 at 7:16 AM.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th Apr 19, 1:28 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sleep is evading me again Ahhhhh I've had a busy day, so you'd think I'd fall asleep quickly...
    My mum visited today and we have tackled the living room. I've found the missing cutlery from the drawer underneath the sofa ( I'm thinking teenagers on their days off, eating lunch in the living room. I insist on eating at the table if I'm home!) and have enough pens to last me a year or two! The skirting boards and window frames were washed down so all is fresh and clean.

I'm trying to carefully plan out the remaining holiday days. I do have a number of phone calls to make in order to find out information for the legal forms. It's one of those jobs that I know needs to be done but I've been shying away from. They will have to be done tomorrow!
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 16-04-2019 at 1:37 AM.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th Apr 19, 9:05 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Got round to tackling some of those phone calls today. It seems ridiculous that I have to gear myself up to ringing but there we go. Two phone calls sorted out more legal tasks which needed doing, I also got myself to the doctors to follow up on a health niggle from last week's OH appointment. The appointment was running late and I have to say it was bliss to have half an hour to myself to sit and read. I managed a whole magazine that I took with me .

I did go into work again to prep for the next week. I'm hoping that a bit more tomorrow, but from home, will allow me a work free weekend.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 19th Apr 19, 1:53 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I got a couple of hours work done yesterday which means that hopefully I can try and relax and enjoy the Easter weekend with the children.

I paid 50 towards nursery fees, 81 on the water bill and 100 off a school trip. Just over 200 to go on school trips. I'll be glad when they are cleared. I need to factor in the cost of a passport for DD4, which I need to do ASAP.

I had been quite concerned at the beginning of the week, that a direct debit hadn't gone out of my account. I even rang the bank to see what was happening. They said it was still active but the company hadn't requested a payment. A phone call later, it turned out that I've paid 10 instalments and no more is needed until May. .

Confession time next...the money that didn't go out, I then used. DD2 said she didn't like this rockery type bed we have. I admit it does get overgrown with grass if we're not careful. She wanted to look at plants for that bed. I never need a second invitation to go to a garden centre! I usually buy veg seeds if I go, it's quite some time since I've bought plants and what a surprise the prices were! We only bought 2 litre plants or smaller but still spent 47. All the plants were perennial ( Rosemary, Cotton lavender, sedum and geranium ) so should be good value over time. DD2 and DS1 stunned me by then weeding and planting the said plants. It's lovely that they are pitching in to improve the garden but very unexpected! Just need to keep the destructive duo, aka the puppies, away from the plants.

The trip did make me look at prices. I have some plants grown from seed that I could try to sell.

DD1 returns to university over the weekend. The time has gone really quickly. Hopefully it won't be too long before she's home again. Her summer term seems very short in comparison to the other terms.

Still needing a decent sleep pattern
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 19-04-2019 at 1:57 AM.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 20th Apr 19, 10:10 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    A tale of 2 evenings...

Yesterday evening was lovely. After taking DS3 and DD4 to Messy Church ( which they thoroughly enjoyed) We decided to go to the beach with the BBQ. The tide was on the turn and so high up the beach I don't think I'd seen this particular beach so covered. When it started to go out, the water receded quite quickly. It's almost magical seeing the fresh clean sand and rediscovering the pools that the sea has relinquished! DS3 ran all evening! The DDs went for a dip in the sea while others walked some of the cliff path. We stayed until dusk. It was so beautiful, calm and relaxing. I thought of a possible solution to my current work situation which, if I'm brave enough to suggest it, might help my stress levels and health.

This evening has been a total contrast. I organised an Easter egg hunt at the allotment as I've done in previous years. It was a day early to be able to include DD1 before she returns to uni. The hunt went ok but the ex was around due to it being a Saturday. His dog jumped up at and went for DS3 as he simply tried to cross the garden. The ex's first reaction, after getting the dog under control, was to suggest that DS3 had done something to provoke the dog. He hadn't. All the poor boy had done was to stand up and start to walk across the lawn. The ex then accused DD1 of something she hadn't done and despite her doing her utmost to prove she hadn't done it, he was just unpleasant towards her which is horrible at the best of times but especially awful on her last night at home. . Thankfully he left soon afterwards but it proved to me I must keep plodding on to get legal stuff sorted to avoid situations like this.

DD2 has offered to drive DD1 to uni...a sisters trip! DD3 is going too for her navigation skills!! It's kind of nice to have someone else do the trip but feel a little guilty about it. I've filled DD2's car with petrol and made a batch of brownies for them to munch on their way!
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 21st Apr 19, 8:21 AM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 40,612 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    So sorry to hear that the ex's behaviour spoilt your evening... More motivation to keep going with the legals.
    However, the other stuff sounds fantastic - you always describe your days out so beautifully. You've made me fancy a little walk along the beach.
    Have a lovely day.
    NST April #11 nsd = 12 1 debt vs 100 days #5 553/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 997.60/5750
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Apr 19, 7:43 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you CCL.

Much of yesterday was spent quietly at home. The older DDs set off on their sisters trip, full of excitement! The younger DDs were quite happy playing games in the garden. They tend to take their playmobil toys outside and set up towns and villages and play happily and imaginatively together .

I had hoped that yesterday would have been a NSD, particularly as most shops are shut on Easter Day, however DD3 has to read a classic from a given list. Despite having many wonderful classics on my bookshelves, the list covered a completely different set of authors. How can a list of classics not include Jane Austen or Thomas Hardy . ? Due to the need to have the book read by tomorrow I had to buy it in digital form so she could read it on her kindle.

I got a fair bit of baking done yesterday, 2 lemon drizzle cakes and a batch of simnel muffins. I'll need to fill the tins today to make sure we have enough for packed lunches this week.

I can't believe it's the last day of the holidays. It's been so lovely to have time in the evenings to relax and to enjoy a slower pace in the mornings. Hope I can gear up fast to work day routines!
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 22-04-2019 at 7:46 AM.
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 22nd Apr 19, 8:29 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 23,601 Thanks
    abba1772
    So sorry your ex spoiled your evening.......surely he must see how uncomfortable his children are around him xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 19 4299 NOW 0
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6479.39
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,987Posts Today

7,200Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin