Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 1,183Posts
    • 5,602Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over 2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a 475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about 1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 33
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Jul 18, 3:04 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The coming weeks are going to be a tight squeeze as I have to pay for the balance of DD4's camp, new uniform for DD4 as she transfers to secondary in September ( and is a totally different size to the others so no hand me downs available) and the balance of this month's nursery fees.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Spendy day today as the balance for the camp was paid (165) and new uniform had to be bought from the secondary school at a special new starters' evening. I had to get one of the smallest sizes possible for DD4 and have spent 80 on jumpers, a tie and the sports uniform. Even then I didn't get all of the sportswear as DD3 offered to give her sister her old waterproof sports top and she said they rarely used the socks anyway so wasn't worth getting. That's two of the expenses paid for that I needed to do. Just got to clear the rest of the nursery fees before the school holidays start.

I'm starting to feel a little edgy about how I'm going to keep the groceries spending at the present level over the summer holidays. As it is, since DS left school, I've come home from work to find cereal gone and various things from the freezer. Obviously he needs to make himself lunch and snacks through the day but perhaps not quite in the quantities that he is getting through at the moment!!
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 12th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Hi HSL I so thought I'd responded! No matter how tight you always make it work. I'm sure you'll get there. The uniform is making me wince! I never understand how they work out the sports kits out - and as your dd says they never get used!
    What about selling the puppies? If you use the money to pay for the kids that's more than fair xxx
    Loan 1 5400/8000
    Loan 2 3400/5800
    Total 8800/13800 36% PAID

And CC 1475/1900
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 20,446 Posts
    • 34,036 Thanks
    Spendless
    I have the same issue with a teenage son and food. We've tried portioning stuff up in a separate bag/container with a label saying 1 portion. Don't know if that's any help.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Jul 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    That's a good idea Spendless, to portion it. DS2 is starting to show similar levels of appetite! When the holidays start I'll have more time to keep the tins topped up with baking but I can't quite keep up with them in term time!
    The good news tonight us that the place where DS is working have offered him an apprenticeship and he's thinking about it...hurray!!!

Selling the puppies is tricky as DD2 has already paid her Dad for one of them and none of the children want to lose the other.
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 12-07-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jul 18, 12:22 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 12,030 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done to your DS!
    MFW #30 Paid off 3,535.94/3000 as of 6/11/18
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 13th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I knew you'd get stuck with all those puppies! I have no idea in terms of managing teenage boy appetites. I imagine even locking the doors wouldnt get you anywhere. Cheap cereal?
    Loan 1 5400/8000
    Loan 2 3400/5800

And CC 1475/1900
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Jul 18, 11:49 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Cheap cereal is a good idea, Kitten868. It's one food that both older boys turn to first. I try to get Mr T's own brand of weetabix and shreddies in a bid to fill them up.

Today DD2 was home so she wanted to go somewhere and do something. We ended up taking the puppies along a nearby river walk. DD2 has now saved up to inoculate the pups but asked me to contribute 20, which I did. I would struggle more to pay vet bills if they fell ill through not being inoculated, if that makes sense. It was quite weird today going out with these puppies. They are at the very cute stage and I can see how their presence is helping DD2. She is quite introverted and it's often hard to know how she is feeling about things but I could see her enjoying these pups today and yet I felt quite detached from them.

Spent a lovely evening on the beach. It's starting to get busier now so lots of people on the beach until late. The tide was going out so we're gained extra beach through the evening!
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    It's been a busy couple of days. I've been trying to get the house a little more ship-shape after the busyness of work over the past few weeks has meant it looks a little neglected. I've been able to get 4 loads of washing through, particularly in a bid to get DD4 packed up for school camp. This camp is not under canvas but actually in a city, to give the children a taste of urban life. It'll be interesting to see how she gets on. Unfortunately the trip has necessitated getting a pack of leggings as hers all seemed to have holes in or she had grown out of them.

On Saturday it was the school fete. I felt obliged to go but set a budget. My lovely dad gave me some money for the children to spend so they weren't pestering me for extra money that I simply don't have.

Today, I have also had time to catch up with a bit of baking. One batch of salted caramel muffins and a batch of brownies are in the tins!
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 15-07-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    A letter arrived in the post today, from HMRC. Amazingly they have written to me to explain that they are going to apply notional entitlement to my tax credit claims from last year. If I have understood it correctly, they have offset what they say I owe, against what I would have received, had I informed within the month of separating from the ex. Hopefully this means that, since I have paid back over 2k since December, they won't need to take any money from me in the future. Hurray

Thank you so much EE for explaining the notional entitlement and posting the link to the article, so that I understood it more. In the event, a letter to HMRC was on my list to do as soon as the term finishes, but HMRC beat me to it!I've been in quite a sense of disbelief and relief tonight!
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jul 18, 11:31 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 12,030 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Excellent news! So pleased
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 19th Jul 18, 6:34 AM
    • 4,489 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Excellent news honeysuckle!! As a single parent you should have received far more than you actually got so I think you will get your 2k refunded.

They should apply it at the time so not sure what went wrong - just after I posted to explain about it I actually had a client with a similar issue, she was also awarded notional entitlement although her debt was only 600
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 19th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 3,649 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    That is brilliant news about the tax credits. Fingers crossed you might get some back but at least you won!!!8217;t have to pay anymore.
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    SEP 2018 0 100% paid
    Emergency fund 257.38/600
    Total Savings 1672.07
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 20th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Finally paid the last 200 of this term's nursery fees. It's a relief to get that one out of the way. Fortunately it is a term time nursery so I won't have to pay again until September. We still have a couple of days to go until the summer holidays, so not quite in holiday mode yet.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Jul 18, 2:46 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I've had a busy Saturday again today. This one has been a little fraught as 3 of the teenagers have been incredibly stroppy - usually it's only one at a time! I've had to ask DD2 to clean up after the puppies 4 times until in the end I did most of it myself. The ex showed up this afternoon and proceeded to spend the time fixing his vehicle. Unfortunately we have a single vehicle width driveway so although we can park more than 1 car, it means the first car is stuck until the second car gets off the driveway. At 5, I needed to get DD1 from work and found that he had disconnected the battery and was busy welding so I couldn't go anywhere. At no point did he have the courtesy or foresight to let me know what he was doing so that the vehicles could have been swapped round before he started .I asked if he could give me a vague estimate as to how long he would be...poor DD1 was stuck waiting for 1 and a half hours. So so frustrating. I hate being trapped like that.

I've done a couple of loads of laundry, washed lots of pots and pans, hoovered through and washed down the hearth and stonework around the fire. It seems to gather dust in the gaps between stones, so a wash seems to have cleared that!

The blackcurrants, harvested about 10 days ago, have been made into blackcurrant meringue pie. The recipe involved simmering 500g blackcurrants with 275ml of water and about 80g sugar. The fruit is then strained and discarded whilst the cornflour is added to the juice, to thicken it. The colour was amazing, a rich raspberry like colour. DD1 is keen to paint using the left over blackcurrant pulp...it seemed a shame to waste it. I've made a batch of chocolate brownies and vanilla muffins but they have all but been demolished by everyone. Back to the mixing bowl then...!

On Friday morning I was up quite early and spent time updating the spending tracker. I must confess that the busier I get at work, the more I slip at keeping up tabs on spending. To my horror the shopping at Mr T's is creeping up to Easter levels again. About 50 was on clothing and trainers to make sure that the 2 attending camp had what they needed. Even so the rest (550) has been on food. I'm hoping I can get that down more as I'll have more time to bake in the holidays. The reality is that I'm feeding 4 young adults, 2 of whom have large appetites and 3 children plus a 12 year old boy who has just hit that stage of always being hungry. Plus myself, of course and the 4 dogs. It's striking a balance between having enough healthy home cooked food but trying to keep the cost in some sort of proportion.
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 22-07-2018 at 7:27 AM.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 12,030 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    How very inconsiderate of your DH! You must have been so annoyed.

Sympathy from me about feeding young adults: they are hollow-boned aren't they?!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Jul 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I've had a whole weekend off but am feeling completely tired, not so good when I still have 2 days to go, which are going to be very full days. I spent 4 hours in the car today driving around, basically being a taxi ferrying children to and from jobs and the younger ones to and from birthday parties. Unfortunately the timings and directions didn't work out so after 4 hours, much zig zagging and goodness knows how many miles, I finally got everyone home.

The blackcurrant meringue pie was delicious and definitely the best way to eat blackcurrants!!
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 25th Jul 18, 5:30 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Got to the end of term yesterday. It was a relief as it's been so busy. My body clock is very much on work time and still woke at 5! A parent kindly gave me a gift yesterday of a mini bottle of prosecco with the instructions to relax in the evening. I very rarely drink, usually a Baileys at Christmas, so I thought I'd try this prosecco. Lovely drink but boy did it knock me out! I slept really well!

Today I have a trip to the cinema to sort out so that DD4 can celebrate her forthcoming birthday with her friends.

I need to make a list of household jobs that I need to get done before September, as I don't get chance to do such jobs in term time. I have noticed that all the fencing needs a coat of something Cuprinol like to prevent any rotting. I need to paint some rooms as well, so will perhaps need to break the jobs down into weekly chunks so that it feels manageable and not too overwhelming. Top of the list will be more hacking down of the weeds at the allotment and hopefully a late sowing of runner beans. I know they won't harvest until Late Sept/ Oct but worth it to try and fill the freezer. I hope to get a decent walk in everyday as my fitness levels are really bad at the moment, lack of time being a factor. At least walking is free...!
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 25th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Kitten868
    What a brilliant update to come back to! So so so so pleased about HMRC! Just hoping you can be refunded too. You had pretty much paid half of it. And happy holidays! Don't spend it driving kids to work! Xxx
    Loan 1 5400/8000
    Loan 2 3400/5800

And CC 1475/1900
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 27th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Kitten868. I'm trying to think carefully about the mileage I'm doing not least because the car has done about 117k.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here. I took the younger children to meet up with my DSIL and nephews at a beach at the other side of the county. It was truly stunning and so lovely to splash in the warm sea. The colour of the sea was an amazing blue green...it could have passed for somewhere abroad. On our return home, we couldn't resist stopping off at our usual beach to have tea and ended up watching sunset and playing games. It really was the most relaxing and enjoyable day.

Today has been a little spendy as it is DD4's birthday. We had a celebratory breakfast that did include fresh blueberries, a real treat! She wanted to go bowling which we did, the ex paid for that and I paid for the fish and chip dinner that she wanted at the end of the day. DD1 helped me to create a flamingo cake. I popped into a supermarket to look for a cake but felt it best to try myself. The cake looks rustic and homemade but you can tell it is a flamingo!!! DD4 is a complete Paddington fan so we're ending her special day by watching Paddington 2.

Tomorrow DD4 has a cinema trip with a couple of friends ( instead of a party), so tomorrow will be a little spendy again. We have a 3 day break from birthday cake before we do it all again as DS2 celebrates his birthday on Tuesday. It's that time of year when 4 of my children and 1 nephew celebrate their birthdays over the next 6 weeks!
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,228Posts Today

6,809Users online

Martin's Twitter