Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 1,078Posts
    • 4,997Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over 2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a 475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about 1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 30
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I too love the idea of beach BBQs/picnics once a week - it sounds idyllic!

Re: revision, my oldest was never one for much academic committment. It wasn't that he wasn't able or didn't like school, but nothing ever grabbed his attention enough to pull him in. He left part way through the sixth form. Ten years on, he's doing a degree in his 'free' time. I really think the added maturity and having been part of the workforce have both helped. School looks like the only option while people are there, but it isn't. That's isn't to say they shouldn't revise of course. Personally I was quite a long way through secondary school when I found out that revision isn't cheating! I had thought that if you didn't remember things from being in class, you had somehow got it wrong and that exams were to test what you remembered from class. Somehow I got through it and got a degree but I might have done better if I'd understood the system better!
    MFW #30 Paid off 2,481.24/3770 as of 4/8/18
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 20,315 Posts
    • 33,736 Thanks
    Spendless
    Love the beach idea too. And the timings. When mine were younger they loved a pub that had a swimming pool. Pub served lovely but expensive food, but meals weren't available between 2pm-5pm, so guess what time we used to go?

Oh kids and revision My eldest left school 2 years ago. Con-incidentally his last 6 months matched me being being out of work at the same time, so I could keep a closer eye on what he was up to. He was later to tell me, he'd done no revision at all other than in classtime. He got ok-good results (1 A, 1 D and the rest B & C grades) but he could have had amazing ones with more effort! He wasn't interested though. All he wanted was enough to get him onto the next step (level 3 computer course).

My daughter takes her GCSEs next year and I'm already worrying about them! She's not as academically able as her brother, but so long as she gets enough for the next step I'm not hung up on her getting amazing grades.

What I did and will insist mine have is plan B in place just in case they don't get the 'magic' 5 qualifications at the right grade. I wasn't allowed to do A levels many years ago for not having enough qualifications, and I'd put no alternative in place.

What sort of things interest DS1?
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th May 18, 12:06 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    DS1 is creative and practical so DT is his best subject at school. For years, just being cooped up in a classroom was hard enough. Had Forest School been thought of when he was at primary school, he would have really enjoyed it. He is interested in agriculture and vintage machinery but I think the machinery would make a great hobby but not a career choice. I personally think a photography course would be a good step because he has taken some beautiful photos over the last 18 months but he won't hear of it. As long as he gets enough grades to take the next step...

That said, he did actually get some maths revision done on Saturday morning which was a relief!

I've had a relaxing day today and headed for the beach this afternoon, just got a couple of hours to allow time for play before the week ahead. I've got a fair amount of washing done and tried to be quite ruthless with clothes that no longer fit and can't be passed down to a sibling. I've bagged them up and will consider the best option.

DD1 has finished for this academic year. Thankfully she is happy to wait until half term to be picked up. I'll be so glad to have her home.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    DD2 passed her driving test- Hurray!!
    So glad for her as it will give her independence, which in a very rural area such as ours is important. Selfishly I'm really pleased that I won't have to squeeze the budget every week to meet the lesson costs. Hurray all round!
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th May 18, 12:12 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oooh, congrats to your DD! Great news!

And now you don't have to pay for the lessons and have got used to living without the money, are you going to catch up on things you've been coping without, or something else? Must be nice to have the prospect of a sort of pay rise!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 15th May 18, 7:18 AM
    • 20,315 Posts
    • 33,736 Thanks
    Spendless
    Well done to DD2 and a nice handy amount back into your budget too

Good luck to DS for his GCSEs and hope he finds something suitable to do next.

Hadn't realised they could stay a bit longer in their accommodation after Uni finishes. Does it depend on the Uni?
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I spoke too soon....we spent last night researching insurance prices for newly passed drivers and were somewhat shocked. It's obviously quite some time since I passed my test!! Looks like the money scraped together for lessons will have to be channelled towards the insurance cost. Ah well.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th May 18, 7:25 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Spendless, his first one seemed to go ok. DD1 has a date by which she has to get out of the halls of residence but it's the end of June, so a whole 6 weeks from her hand in date. She is going to use the time to get packed up.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I spoke too soon....we spent last night researching insurance prices for newly passed drivers and were somewhat shocked. It's obviously quite some time since I passed my test!! Looks like the money scraped together for lessons will have to be channelled towards the insurance cost. Ah well.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    It's horrendous. I can't remember if you are sharing a car but putting parents on the same insurance definitely brings the cost down. DS also has a 'curfew' his insurance so it stays lower so long as he's in by 10pm.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 15th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 20,315 Posts
    • 33,736 Thanks
    Spendless
    Thank you Spendless, his first one seemed to go ok. DD1 has a date by which she has to get out of the halls of residence but it's the end of June, so a whole 6 weeks from her hand in date. She is going to use the time to get packed up.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    Oh gosh I'd not thought about that. Though DS is learning, he's hopefully going to Uni in Sept and won't be able to afford to run a car. Him passing his test is more about having that skill for the future especially for his sandwich year.

That's handy to know re Uni. DS should be finishing Uni first year just as DD is taking her GCSEs and I was thinking what disruption that might cause. Maybe I could convince him to stay on a few more weeks.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th May 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    So after much searching we found an insurance quote for 1200 on condition that she has a black box fitted. We decided against a curfew ( which would bring the premium down again) but given that she is in the catering industry, a curfew of 10 might not be workable. Thankfully a monthly option was available so 106 will now go out each month for the insurance. I know a yearly payment is more MSE but I just don't have that kind of money spare and able to use.

I have also dipped into the EF rightly or wrongly. It is my dad's birthday next week and a big birthday. He has done so much for me and to support me through such heart wrenching times, that I really want to be able to contribute towards his present. My mum and brother and I are all clubbing together to get something that he really wants. I've also used 100 to pay for a garage bill for the car that needs to be paid. Will really need to build the EF back up over the coming months.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th May 18, 12:28 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think treating your Dad I is a very proper use of some of the EF You have the discipline of building it up already so just keep on keeping on and it will accumulate again. After all it's there for when there's a need and that's what this is.

Sensible choice regarding not having a curfew - DS got a penalty because he had to work late.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Cherryfudge...I've had a really lovely couple of days with my parents and brother, inbetween work. I was able to swop a day off so that I could spend my dad's birthday with him. I enjoyed making a lemon and elderflower cake that I decorated . A 10 inch sponge is about the right size for all of us now!

I had a statement through the post from the EF bank that showed I hadn't used it all but I certainly don't want the EF to get any lower.

Work is very busy. I'm thankful for the light evenings which allows me to enjoy a cup of tea in the evening sunshine. So much needs to be done around the house, in the garden and at the allotment but for the moment I can only concentrate on what needs to be done at work and the day to day stuff at home. The rest will have to wait until half term.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 26th May 18, 3:13 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    So thankful that it is now half term. The last few weeks at work have been very busy. I still have a fair bit to do over half term.

Off to pick up DD1 in a few hours. We ( DD3,4 & 5 and the toddler ) are planning to stay overnight and not do our usual there and back in a day. Her whole room has to be emptied, so thought that 2 days would be better. I'm hoping the weather will be good so that we can explore some of the riverside walks there.

Puppies are now eating rice pudding and are at that cute stage. I did ask the ex what his plans are for the pups and he intends to rehome/sell them. Two DDs want to keep the puppies but they are the older DDs . I'm not quite sure they are thinking in the longer term as in who will care for them if and when they travel/ go to uni which are their stated aims. The breed is one that requires lots of exercise and selfishly, I don't want to be left with 2 very energetic dogs in a couple of years time that I haven't the time to give enough exercise to.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 27th May 18, 6:34 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Busy day ahead...we've got to pack up all of DD1's things! She has packed up some cases but a quick glance at the desk suggests there's a way to go! My lovely dad paid for our premier inn room, so only costs so far have been diesel and paying for dinner last night, but happily, in the children's eyes, there is a McDonalds next door so food costs for us all wasn't too bad.
    We were able to enjoy one of the river walks near to DD1's uni. It was so peaceful, lots of irises starting to flower and so much blossom on the trees being blown off as we walked through, it was like confetti! I'm determined to enjoy the brief time away as I know lots of work awaits when I get back home.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 29th May 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sunday was indeed a busy day, simply packing up a room full of DD's stuff. So much stuff!! The subject that she is studying means that she has lots of materials, a bootful or 2! I'm glad my dad pointed out that I wouldn't be able to get it all back on my own and offered his help.

Yesterday was spent rearranging cupboards to accommodate the pots, pans, bedding etc so they can be stored until September. I've left DD1 to sort through all her materials. It prompted me to sort out some things at home too, so a tip run was done yesterday as well. I need to get practical jobs done over the summer. There are piles of old wood in one area of the garden that could usefully be sawn up and stacked to dry for the winter rather than being a random pile of huge logs, too big to fit into the wood burner.

Whilst away I have done lots of thinking about the budget and realised that I tend to know which bills are paid and when and am careful to record my spending but I seem to list the direct debits and allocate money for those and then financially fire fight the most pressing need with the remainder, rather than allocating money to different pots. I was reading TOPMs diary and was impressed by her saving for a trailer purchase because she had that particular allocated pot. My budget is easily thrown by various things that crop up for the children, so birthday party invites or school trips that don't happen every month but there always seems to be something for one of them that surprises me. I haven't figured it all out yet but I know I need to allocate rather than fire fight if you see what I mean, particularly as I have legal fees to consider for the separation and I need to be prepared for whatever is decided for long term living arrangements.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 29th May 18, 7:35 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Also managed to get a trip to the beach in yesterday. We went back to the cove we found in February, off the beaten path and had a lovely time. I actually got 2 chapters of my book read which is a success!! I confess I did buy a cool box so that our picnic could be readily transported. I thought that it would also come on useful for our weekly beach teas.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    louby40
    Hi you sound like you're having a busy half term.

I have a list of appointments this week which include, blood doning, hairdressers, dentist, doctors and nail appointment. I also have to fit in writing 29 school reports - I've actually completed 15 of them now.

They don't have to be given in until the end of June but I just want them out of the way.

I can't believe there are only 7 weeks left until the end of the academic year!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 29th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I'm very impressed...haven't started my reports yet, although hoping to get started by the end of the week.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 30th May 18, 9:46 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Hello HSL,

I've just read your whole diary and WOW I am in awe of you. How you can look after 8 children 18 - 1 and work almost full time solo? I feel anxious just thinking about navigating your life. The level of organisation just to get out of the door, I cannot even imagine. So you get a gold star from me. Then the fact that when you stop looking after 8 children you are looking after 30 is astounding. When do you get to adult? And then on top of all that you manage to find all this time to do all these lovely things with your children. And bake. And bake. And plant. And bake. You say you're an occasional insomniac... I think your lying and you never sleep and don't need to.

I notice you haven't mentioned the tax credits situation in ages. Please, please, please say you've booked an appointment for advice. The people on the phone are no good - it depends on who you get and what mood they're in as to what they say to you. I've been called a scrounger and told to stop having kids on the phone to them before. She was delightful. It's a argument that could save you 2500! It's not fair given you didn't lie, you just didn't know what phrase applied to the toxic madness of your ex.

Speaking of. Please apply for maintenance. Not for you but for your children. You can put it away for their budding futures that are happening now. Not a nag but a reminder that you do deserve to get that money.

An idea for ds1 that might be barking up the wrong tree. My husband is an engineer in the royal navy. He loves it. He's learnt so much and gets to work with his hands all day. He loves the team ethic. It's better pay than an apprenticeship and he will see the world. It's not for everybody but for some people they won't know until they try.

Another idea: are any of the local farms around you open to an apprenticeship? They might get paid to do it?

Keep up the amazing work. Oh and did you look at applying for a loan to pay off your evil life sucking loan? Xxx
    Loan 1 5500/8000
    Loan 2 3500/5800
    Total 9000/13800 35% PAID

And CC 1550/1900
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,672Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watch and all will be explained. It's about early prep not early celebration. To take the stress out of pre-chris? https://t.co/epBrfX8tli

• Just got on the train to Liverpool, as we're there for tonight's @itvMLshow live Christmas special (8pm ITV). Had? https://t.co/xLxH5N6GL2

• RT @CareQualityComm: While Martin's methodology is different to ours, and the rating terminology, it's interesting that the poll findings t?

• Follow Martin