Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 886Posts
    • 3,579Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over 2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a 475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about 1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 26
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It was heart-warming to see DS1 carrying the toddler when he got too tired. The chickens were slightly bemused by the weather but tucked into the left over porridge with gusto.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    What a lovely picture!

Cars can be expensive, can't they. Still, safe tyres are a very good use of that 'extra' money.
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 3rd Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The good news is I only needed one new tyre as the garage was able to repair the tyre with the slow puncture. The result was a bill of 122 compared with the 198 I had been expecting. The bad news is that the back tyres will need replacing soon. They are not urgent but something that I will now need to plan for.

The shopping trip to Mt T's was interesting as there was NO milk, no bread, no fresh veg except a few punnets of tomatoes and very little fresh fruit. It was quite incredible. The frozen aisle was much depleted too as was the fresh meat section.I did ask the checkout cashier who said that it wasn't so much panic buying as the delivery lorries not being able to get through and the last delivery was on Tuesday. I was able to get a fair bit of my shopping list and just made substitutions as to what was available to buy. It does make one realise the organisation and logistics that goes in to keeping our supermarket shelves full...and also how a little adverse weather can affect it so much.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 3rd Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I've spent 140 nursery fees, 40 diesel and 77 on groceries today.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Good to hear the car wasn't as expensive as expected, though it sounds as though you had a costly day today.

We went to 3 different supermarkets before we could get my FiL's corned beef! We found the same as you: depleted shelves everywhere, though we have fruit, veg and milk. The pharmacy didn't have all my prescription either (should be in by Tuesday and I'm okay till then). It's made me think twice about having a couple of week's tinned food in. I won't call it hoarding! It could make a difference if we have a bad winter again or one of us is ill.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 4th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Yes it did make me think about keeping some tinned or dried fruit in. Fortunately we have a fair bit of flour and sugar so as long as we have eggs and butter we can keep baking!!!
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    A busy week at work but by and large used ingredients we had in. The local Mr Ts has milk now but still no bread and some shelves still quite depleted. Makes you appreciate the choice normally available. We have an Ald1 opening soon so am intending to go and see if Ican reduce the food bill at all.

Made a payment of 64 to the credit card debt. That is on 0% so at least it's all clearing debt.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Mar 18, 11:56 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done on the 64!

We had bread back in the supermarket the other day but a distinct shortage of frozen veg. Very odd.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Mar 18, 7:32 AM
    • 20,166 Posts
    • 33,393 Thanks
    Spendless
    Feel your pain with the tyres. I discovered a puncture on leaving work the other week (I work in the sticks). Husband away, Dad had an op no-one to rescue me! Eventually sorted, but I also had a replacement tyre (only 50 though) and now have to gradually replace the rest.

I work at a distribution centre that delivers food (won't say what, but it's a staple part) and most customers work on a 'just in time' policy ordering on day 1 for day 3 delivery. Inclement weather puts a huge strain on everyone. Customers buy more, so they sell out quicker, then they need more. Meanwhile deliveries struggle to get in, more pressure is put on the drivers, some who can't get to work themselves and we have to ensure their safety, regardless if there's nothing on the shelves. The best thing to do is gradually over the months make it that you've got enough in as an emergency stockpile, such as bread flour and yeast as well as your tinned/frozen goods. That way you'll never be caught out but won't be contributing to the scarcity either.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    That's interesting to understand the just in time aspect of food distribution. Fortunately I do keep flour in and my lot tend to like bagels rather than proper bread so I had a couple of packets of those in the freezer. Good idea to keep a few tinned goods in for such times.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi HSL. I have really enjoyed your diary. I admire your hard work coping with a stressful job,a big family,a difficult relationship with you ex,and your determination to clear your debts. And what a terrific job you are making of bringing up your family. I do worry a little that you never have any ''me time'',but I am sure the baking and the country walks with the kids are your stress busters
    I never fail to find something of value and encouragement in the DFW diaries,and you have encouraged me so that I am definitely going to reconnect with nature. After 5 years ill health and being housebound,I am yearning to get back out into the countryside,and the beach.I havent set foot on the sands for a decade,when I used to take my grandkids.I was born in this coastal town,and there is an ingrained connection with the sea,very much muted for a long time
    I live about 1.5 miles from the beach,up on top of a hill,but every time I step out of my gate I instinctively turn to look down towards the sea. Its always a different colour,and it soothes and calms me.
    Once Mr Dusty is back(he's away for a month) and I am in routine,and hopefully back to health and without spectacular nosebleeds(dont ask,but its all in my Frugal Fortnights diary) I will make an effort to get down to the beach. I miss the sounds and smells!And the ubiquitous wind which blows away the cobwebs
    Love your tales of cooking,gardening - and chicks. Wouldnt dare have all those lovely cakes etc in the house(diabetic and slimming) and I think I not only dont have green fingers but def black ones,but love hearing about your flowers.Heartwarming stuff,keep on sharing - and keep on debt-busting!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 112 Tesc* Xmas Savers 17.65
    House & Home Fund 2018 - 172 (plus 174 from 2017 = 346)
    SW loss - 3st 5lb AF Mar-May 86 days Jun 19 /24 Books read June 5/10 Prolific 5.42

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Dustydigger for such an encouraging post...I'm glad the DF diaries have inspired you. I enjoy reading and gleaning tips from other people's diaries.

I've lived by the sea and in a rural location for most of my life and it is definitely my stress buster. I have spent today roaming a beach further down the coast...a real day out. It's been good for the little ones to get out and fill their lungs with sea air!
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Must confess more of a spendy day today. Had to stock up on corn for the chicks, that really are getting much bigger now and approaching point of lay in a few weeks. I picked up a card and present for my mum who is visiting tomorrow. We did take a picnic to the beach but we did have a packet of fruit pies that were half price but not what I would usually buy. It has been a lovely day and I do feel refreshed.

Tomatoes have germinated and are out of the propogator and on the window sill pending repotting and removal to the allotment greenhouse. Lettuces have also germinated as the calendulas. I just love their cheery colour and it goes so well either with other flowers or on its own. I did get some beetroot seeds today as well, to start sowing those this week.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Mar 18, 3:01 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I had a lovely Mother's Day. DD2 presented me with pancakes in bed and the girls had all made cards, which was thoughtful. My parents and grandmother visited so we had lunch out. My dear Dad paid for that so I had no cooking to do and no cost. It was a relaxing Sunday...just got to gear up for the week at work.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Busy week at work and finally had a NSD!
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 14th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    Starmummy
    I love how cheery your diary is. You make everything sound so poetic. I wish you all the luck on your journey
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th Mar 18, 12:29 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Starmummy, thanks for dropping by.

Work continues to be very busy so just juggling work and home seems to have occupied all of this week. DD1 finished her term yesterday so I went to collect her today. I was a little concerned about the weather forecast and there was certainly a heavy snowstorm when I got to her halls of residence. I ended up topping up the diesel to maintain a full tank, as I didn't want to be caught out if we got stuck in any snow. The total cost was an eye watering 120 but al least I have about 3/4 of a tank to see me through the rest of the week.

I'm feeling quite conscious that there are a number of expenses coming up that I neeed to work into the budget. These include

Cost of school camp for DD4 and 5.
    Cost of school camp for DD4 when she starts secondary school on the Autumn.
    Uniform costs for DD4 ( completely different size to her older sisters so no hand me downs.)
    Present for my dear Dad who turns 70 this year.
    Transport costs for DD2 and possibly DS1 depending on what he does after leaving school.

DD1 has been able to sort out her accommodation costs for next year herself. I'm so pleased thT she has her emergency fund sorted out which enabled her to cover up front costs.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I need to catch up at home today. All the tins are empty so a fair bit of baking needs doing. I have meat for pasties so they can cook in the oven at the same time.

DD2 is hoping to put in for her driving test soon. I've been trying to squeeze the budget a little further to pay for driving lessons so am hoping she will pass soon.

The other expense I have lurking in the background is legal fees to sort out the separation legally. I'm not sure how it will all pan out and feeling quite apprehensive about it.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 18th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 20,166 Posts
    • 33,393 Thanks
    Spendless
    Good grief, it barely seems 2 minutes since DD1 went off to Uni.

Unfortunately, we've also had snow here too and it's cancelled a drama festival my DD was meant to be at this weekend, lots of crying and disappointed children when it was announced.

Driving lessons are so expensive aren't there. We're paying for them as DS xmas present, but he keeps on asking for 2 hour lessons and I keep gulping at the cash I'm handing over.

School residential trips are a big outlay too and so is kitting out for Secondary school. Hopefully you can spread the cost out.

Enjoy your 'catch up' day. Now I'm no longer at a festival all day long, that's what I'm doing too.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 18th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I have already told my dd and ds that I will pay for driving lessons when they get to 17, but they will be giving me the money back from there child trust funds. These will hold maybe 1k by the time they are 18, so not enough for uni, house etc and they see how their dad can't drive (never passed his test) and how it has restricted things for him. Maybe I am being mean, but I learnt when I was 17, didn't really drive again until I was 22, but a few refresher lessons with dad and it was fine. To me having that licence is important, if I had had to learn at 22 when I had just moved to a new area and needed a car for my job it would have been a nightmare!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 18th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 20,166 Posts
    • 33,393 Thanks
    Spendless
    This is pretty much why my DS is having lessons. He's due to go to Uni in Sept and 2 of my friends with boys at Uni, one told me how much more difficult it'd been for her younger child who hadn't learned locally and instead was left with the choice of having lessons in a busier unfamiliar city or learning in the hols in his home time and also how much it had helped that her eldest had learnt before going to Uni and that gave him more options when he did a placement year at Uni. My other friend, her son graduated last year but having not learned to drive has been restricted in where to look for his first full-time job and is continuing with his student p-time bar job whilst he learns to drive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter