From debt to freedom...

Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Hope everythings okay x
  • Thank you. I've had my mum and grandma up to stay for a couple of days. We all dipped in and out of concerts at a Christian music festival. All the events were free so only costs were diesel.

Not heard from tax credits yet, although I did try to ring HMRC today but was on hold for ages and had to hang up as you can't wait indefinitely with a busy toddler! I did google joint to single claims and was shocked to see that there have been other families who are left without any TC payments for a few weeks while it is all processed.:eek::eek:

I am being extremely careful with every penny now, as it's made me think how I'm going to have to stretch my salary to cover more expenses. My biggest monthly expense in term time is the nursery fees . Very thankful that the loan repayments have finished but it doesn't look like I'll be able to put any money to other debts as I'd hoped. I think it's hardest not knowing, as I can't plan an effective budget without knowing what , when or how the TC office will respond.

I had an electricity statement arrive last week which showed that I had overpaid the electricity by £68. Last time I'd overpaid, the company refunded me quite promptly, but this time there was no mention of a refund, so I rang them up and requested a refund. I thought that would help me to feed everyone while we're waiting to hear about the TCs.

I spent this evening on the beach with 5 of the children. I find I can relax there and enjoy the time with the children. At home, I'm trying to keep back feelings of panic and especially try not to show the children any worry.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Hiddenidenity
    If you log in online you will see if it's been processed etc. I love doing it online now there isn't much you have to call them for anymore.

You're doing a great job of managing don't forget that xx
  • Today I got through to the TC office. The lady was as helpful as she could be but I'm even less further forward than I thought :(. She said that they had received the signed form but that
    I should have had a new claim pack, that was apparently sent out at the end of July. I haven't received anything else from HMRC since the 2 letters that came about 10 days ago. I explained that the TCs had been cut for 2 weeks already. Apparently the form I signed and sent back related to the closure of the joint claim. If I have understood correctly, the ex should have one to sign too but since I don't know where he lives and couldn't therefore give an address I don't know how they are going to sort that out. The lady said it could take 2 weeks for the new claim pack to arrive and up to 3 weeks to process if it was straight forward and no additional information was required. I related it back to her to make sure that I had understood correctly that from the time I contacted them to possible next payment could be seven weeks.:eek:
    To give her her due, the lady was as helpful as she could be and tried to see if she could sort it over the phone but apparently it can't be and I have to fill in this new claim pack. Let's hope the claim pack is speedy in getting here.

I went out with the children this afternoon and picked blackberries around the public footpaths and up at the allotment. We managed to pick 4 and a half pounds which added to the 1 and a half pounds picked on Monday gives us 6 lbs in the freezer:).

It's 2 weeks til my next payday so am thinking really carefully about each penny. The electricity refund was paid into my account this morning, so I've used £20 on diesel, £20 on food and £24 to pay the doctor for a letter to confirm DD1's health condition that she needs for her university.
    I have the MOT due at the end of the month so will have to use the remainder of the emergency fund to pay for that and hope and pray that the car will pass. In the meantime I will just have to be careful,with every meal.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're having a nightmare with the TC's HSL, I really do sympathise and hope they send everything out quickly.

I don't suppose you're close to me, but if you are, I have so much food in my freezer and cupboards, way too much for just DS and I, you're more than welcome to come and raid them.

Xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6500/£15,000
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,653 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 2:39AM
    That's so kind MeandO.

Yesterday evening the ex cooked for the children (first Wed he's cooked for the last 3 weeks). Don't know if the children have said anything to him but he did at least turn up with some fruit, bread and breakfast cereal. He doesn't usually do this, in fact the last time was Christmas. I was glad he has at least done something.

Took DD1 to get her A level result today. Her main course results were known at the end of July so her place at uni has been confirmed for a few weeks. It was still good to be there when she opened it and even though she didn't need this result for her offer, she has the boost of knowing that she has that extra grade. Her college is quite a distance and based in our nearest city so DD2 and 3, came for the shopping! I spent £5.65 on the park and ride. We packed up sandwiches so there was no asks for takeaways or food. DD1 got some clothing she needed and I did get a file and A4 pad that were on offer for DD2's list of essential equipment. I did ask the "Do I need it?" Question and only got it as it was on the essential list.

I have a form to fill in this evening to apply for a half price bus pass for DD2, so hoping that will be a little smoother than the tax credit experience. On the subject of tax credits, I have had another letter today, from the dates on it I think it's relating to the closure of the joint claim. The money they say I owe has now gone up to £10,000.:(:(:. I still don't quite get why they can't see that, according to the TC calculator I would have been entitled to the money as a single parent. I did sit and cry when I got the letter initially but then thought there is nothing I can do about this until the TC office finish processing everything. I've got to go through my budget and replan everything and base it on my salary alone.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    I cannot believe what Tax credits are putting you through HSL. I would try not to worry too much about the figure on the form you received yesterday, they seem to be plucking figures from thin air. This year I had three different versions of the same form sent out to me with 3 different figures on. It sounds like they haven't taken into account your new entitlement yet. I can only speak from experience, but know I was entitled to much more when my ex and I separated. I do hope they sort things out for you very soon.
    Xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6500/£15,000
  • You're right MeanO, I can't do anything until all the forms and calculations have been done, then hopefully I'll have a better idea of which figures are definitive. Actually slept last night right through, as the last few nights I've not slept with the worry of it all.

Yesterday was a lovely day here, a good breeze meant 3 lots of washing got dried :). Made 2 batches of muffins and a batch of brownies. I used to use butter in all my cooking but prices seem to be going up (12p increase overnight in our local supermarket), so I've used baking margarine this time. No complaints from the children so that's good!

I have been given half a bucket of apples so hope to make an apple cake and a crumble today and peel, chop & freeze the remainder. DD3 reminded me of a fantastic blackberry picking spot we found a couple of years ago so hope to go and get more picked today too:).
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,951 Forumite
    We are fruit picking too. Enough damsons to make a something, I haven't decided what yet. Loads of greengages, so I do feel rich! And the blackberries!!! I don't know when we've had so many. Now all I need is an apple tree, but I don't know where I'd put it.

I'm using a vegetable spread beginning with F in my baking (not that I bake much now, I can't afford the calories) - it seems to work well. I have seen butter flavourings too so we can't be the only ones finding butter expensive!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Hiddenidenity
    I agree with meando take any letters that come through in the meantime with a pinch of salt. Alot of them are computer generated so go out automatically. I think I must have received a whole forest full of letters since changing my claim over and none of them say the same as my online tax account! So I expect I'll be receiving more.

Keep your chin up your doing fab x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure