Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 29
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 21st Sep 18, 5:11 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Another one thatís cheap to do and quite right for now is adult colouring. Poundland have some books that are actually on amazon for £6-8 or so. And the works have some lovely colouring pencil sets in tins for £2 that look like they should be more. So for £3 you can put together a little something that looks fairly decent.

Also the online poundshol a while back had a lot of different Yankee votive holders and tart burners. £1 each as well as the tarts and votives. I got 2 tart burners and some tarts and wrapped them in patterned cellophane with a big bow and the votive holders I put a votive in each, matching scents, and two other ones with them spare, all in a little gift box with tissue paper. So again, only about £4/5 but looks like a nice little gift.
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £48.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 23rd Sep 18, 7:02 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    I love adult colouring and I have a book and some pens. I recently bought an etching kit from Lidl, which I am enjoying.

I have thought of my emergency gift item - a steel water bottle. I quite like buying practical items for people, particularly things that the recipient may not a have thought of buying themselves. This is thekind of thing I mean
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KING-DO-WAY-Insulated-Double-walled/dp/B01JA5X3HW?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 27th Sep 18, 10:22 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 38,962 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Hello, it's the almost headless chicken here!!
    Best wishes to all
    Yesterday was a 36 hour day which included a 450 mile drive and 50 mile ferry crossing so I'm still fairly exhausted today but forced myself to be in the swimming pool by 8.45!

Just had a 2 week trip to Ireland. This time Mr T came up trumps on my very last day with cheap as chips diffusers and matching candles in ceramic holders- 2 presents there.
    They also had some cute dog design socks reduced and at 3 for 2 offer- worked out at a pair of socks for 25 pence!! Sparkly ones with dinosaurs came in at about 29 pence. I also bought 3 (all they had) pretty white, blue &silver scarves @£2.25 which was a quarter of original price.
    I also did well being a womble - I am amazed at the folk who throw away till receipts with 100+ points.
    There were a few bits in Tiger but sadly too early for their seasonal stuff.
    I treated myself in Mr T to an FM/ DAB clock radio for £9- had been £30.

Prior to that I went on a cruise to the very north! Up the coast of Norway to North Cape, the most northerly place in Europe, then to the White Sea & Russian cities of Archangelsk & Murmansk. Very interesting, but red tape run rampant- M is the largest place above the Arctic circle. Bought a very few Christmas wooden ornaments, would have possibly bought more but we were really rushed for time.

My shoe boxes were thankfully delivered to the collection point and I managed to get one knee blanket crotcheted.

Next week off again: India, Sri Lanka & Indian Ocean. Really hoping I get there after having to cancel last year.....

Before that have haircut, dog needs booster jab, and a host of jobs already written in the diary.
    Sounds like all your preparations are well underway.
    Take care!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+.2415mm (£2.41.5) + RK £6.00
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 28th Sep 18, 6:37 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Katiehound. Our Baltic cruise went to Russia in July. First time we had been. I know what you mean about the red tape. Iíve never seen customs and immigration like their system, and the time it took. Crazy. Worth it though. Enjoyed it more than I thought.

We leave Sunday for another. Spain, Canaries and Morocco. Be nice to have some beach time. Not looking for ward to the 4 hour drive to Southampton, but worth it once you get onboard.

Hope you enjoy the next one.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Wow u guys are really hitting up some places with ur travelling......really sound great adventures......Katiehound i don't know where u get ur energy from I really don't........a 450 mile drive

Some brilliant presents and present ideas Chanie I really like the steel water bottle......have hinted to DD that I wouldn't mind one for Chrishmas.
    Katiehound definitely right place at the right time with the bargains you've picked up.

I have found a drop off point near DD uni so when I next see DD I am going to drop my shoeboxes off with her and she will drop them off. Still need to do my final one.

I have been wrapping. Most of my wrapping is done now......just bitty bits of small presents to do.
    Due to having wasps deciding to settle in an air brick above the spare bedroom, I've had a lot of wasps visiting to die in the house so it has meant pulling everything out including the really buried presents that I was able to dig out and wrap.
    Also found the 2 missing presents that i would have never of found if it hadnt been for the wasp clearout.
    I am really hoping that I will be completed by the beginning of November......that is my target and if I manage it, it will be the first year ever I've actually achieved it

Need to start preparing for the birthdays in October.........6 altogether.......have all the presents just need to wrap, sort and get cards for.......i will be organised!!!!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 29th Sep 18, 9:33 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 38,962 Thanks
    Katiehound
    [QUOTE=Happy Kitties;74846872] ...Katiehound i don't know where u get ur energy from I really don't........a 450 mile drive
    [/QUOTE
    Still exausted from that little trek! I just want to sleep......

Then last night finally found my post (dog runner had scooped it up) which suggested at this late stage that I needed a different visa for Sri Lanka- absolute panic!! couldn't find my travel folder 'cos I know I printed off the confirmation in the library.
    Checked my e-mails- phew- I have the correct visa. If I can't find my print off will have to dash to library on Mon or Tues and get another. (I know it is not actually needed- but proves I have the e-visitor visa!)

A bit of a find yesterday- 6 perfect china mugs in a carrier by the bin in Morrison's cp. 3 are Boofle Grand p's design (they are dear enough) 1x M&S airforce picture, 2 others bone china. All washed- 2 already delivered to hospice shop with gift aid. Might keep one, other 3 'free' gifts!!!
    Just looked at theBoofle prices online- not cheap!!

Need to make 3 doggy duvets and maybe.......pack???

Magazines as gifts? There are a few offers at the moment for Hearst mags
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+.2415mm (£2.41.5) + RK £6.00
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Oct 18, 11:27 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    I have thought of my emergency gift item - a steel water bottle. I quite like buying practical items for people, particularly things that the recipient may not a have thought of buying themselves. This is thekind of thing I mean
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KING-DO-WAY-Insulated-Double-walled/dp/B01JA5X3HW?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
    Originally posted by chanie
    I bought a steel water bottle today from TK Maxx for £8, which I have put away as an emergency gift. I also picked up a Laura Ashley umbrella for DD. I was temped to give it to her today as it has been raining, but I resisted. I just need to get one for DS now.
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Oct 18, 8:46 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Really hoping for a steel water bottle from my DD for Christmas.

Nearly finished wrapping now and hopefully going to take some presents over to drop at some relatives next weekend that I don't usually see until after Christmas so at least they will get their presents a bit sooner than January!!

Bec I've had to change a couple of presents due to a change in person's circumstance I'm just going to get gift experiences. Going to wait nearer the time so that u get a longer life on the gift experience and I'm hoping that around Black Friday there will be some good deals. I know exactly what I want it's just a waiting game.

Still need to do my 4th shoebox in the next fortnight so I can drop off to DD.

Then hopefully I can concentrate on getting the living room decorated before Christmas......it will get done!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    Really hoping for a steel water bottle from my DD for Christmas.
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    I kind of want one too, but I have a water bottle and a flask.

Its a shame that you have to rethink a gift for someone, but I love that you have already got a plan b, thatís organisation!

This weekend, I will be going to DMs so will get to pop into Home Bargains. I normally head straight for the toys, but I think im sorted on that front, so will look at the Halloween and a Christmas stuff.
    Home Bargains has lots of stuff you donít see elsewhere, so I really like checking out their stuff.
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Oct 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    Its a good thing I bought the water bottle, as its the birthday of one of my reports and so I have given it to them as a birthday present.

I have quite a few birthdays in October and we are having a birthday get together this weekend to celebrate. I thought I had bought something for DNs birthday, but I cant remember what it was or where I put it. I have a memory of looking at something in tK Maxx,but I dont know if I bought it or just thought about buying it. It’s quite funny actually, because I am normally good it remembering what I have bought.
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Oct 18, 9:06 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    That water bottle definitely came in handy Chanie and I hope u sort out for DN birthday and if u did buy something u manage to find it.

I can definitely say I am having a right nightmare getting 4 lots of birthday presents ready for the drop off at the weekend. I sorted out the birthday cards today only to find I will need a gift bag. Feel very woolly headed at the moment due to having a cold so feel like I am climbing up a hill backwards.
    Because there are several small gifts for each child I'm getting confused to whose is what and also trying to sort out each child's Christmas bits into gift bags aswell. It is not going well.

Will be relieved when they are dropped off, to send the birthday presents would cost a small fortune esp when I've stuck really well to the budget I set and I have the opportunity to drop presents off this weekend. I Will get there!
    Plus I've eaten another box if Christmas chocs .........things can only get better!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 13th Oct 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy kitties I wish you a speedy recovery from your cold.

I am going to a family meal tomorrow so I am going to pop into Home Bargains, as this is my closest store. I Am hoping to get a few bits to finish off my link boxes, so I can get them sent off.
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Oct 18, 9:03 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Aaawww thank you Chanie.
    I finally managed to drop 4 birthday presents and 3 Christmas presents off yesterday. One present I only wrapped half a hour before leaving as I just couldn't face it....then nearly forgot the card!
    When I was at my relatives having a cuppa I was going through them having a quick check that all the bits that needed to be in the Christmas bags were there and it helped that my relative wanted to know what I had got. I came away knowing that everything was how it should be but I will be honest I did find it hard going......plus throw in the weather. Did have to check my routes before travelling.

I do love a h.bargains, I went on Thursday to get the gift bags I needed and also picked up a couple of bits I needed for my final link box. Now the other presents are delivered I can focus on that box which I have been putting off.

I need to send a birthday present to my friends daughter at the end of the month. I'm debating about putting their Christmas presents in aswell. I'm just about concerned that if my health has a bit of a wobble again then it's going to be left all to DD and she isn't home from uni until the middle of December. I know my friend won't mind and will stash them away. My friend has done the same in previous years when her health hasn't been great so probably will do it.

I cannot believe how quick October is flying, it only seems like yesterday since it was the 1st.

Not doing well on the Christmas chocolates......ate another box
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 14th Oct 18, 11:37 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Home from the cruise and can get stuck in fully to Christmas. Got some wrapping done last night and built my little girlís balance bike..they didnít exist when I was little!!
    I did intent to stick pile on cheap 75p chocolate oranges but our Tesco was sold out. Boo. I hoped to have a few so maybe one would last til Christmas.
    Anyone know if boos Christmas catalogue is out yet? Canít wait to get my hands on it. Thatís the sign that Christmas really is bear 😆
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 14th Oct 18, 8:23 PM
    • 7,063 Posts
    • 17,320 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

What's a balance bike crazy cat lady? Is this with stabilisers? I'm also wondering where you are going to store it if it's wrapped up for Christmas?

Did you enjoy your holiday?

Happy Kitties, did I read it right that's you're tucking into the Christmas choccies? lol How many boxes did you get in the first place?

I wonder if Katiehound has gone away yet?

Chanie have you remembered that thing you forgot at TX Maxx?

I'm going to be working on my last wall in the living room to be decorated after a gap of two weeks but it's unlikely we'll be able to do it in the two days planned as it's the window wall and lots of filling needed, I don't have any free time in the following two weeks so at this rate it'll be getting into end of November. I won't be sorting out the furniture, room items etc until after Christmas as there isn't enough time for that so I'll just be hiding ornaments etc behind the sofa until I can get rid of them somewhere plus I've got oil paintings I'm no longer going to use as I want a totally different look, more Zen than antique shop.

My friend has done a lot of Christmas Day food shopping for me and stored it at her house, I hope to buy more cards next week, haven't started on anything else as have been too busy with other matters, there was a family drama with my dad last week, I had to go looking for him at the shops with my friend, luckily found by one of the shop owners literally seconds before I called the police as we'd looked everywhere and no sign of him yet he turned up at a shop we went to earlier and they contacted us. He couldn't understand why we went looking for him.. He's in his 90's and hadn't left the house for over a year because of mobility problems so it was rather a worry for mum when she discovered he'd gone.

• crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 14th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Anglea that must have been terrifying for you all. Hope heís safe and well now and not tried to go wandering again. My grandma used to live with us, we looked after her when she started to get ill and couldnít cope, and the escape acts she pulled were horrific. I remember getting changed for work upstairs. Everything was fine. I was gone less than 3 minutes and had to run downstairs because she had opened the fire door, smoke had got in the room and set off the fire alarm, the door was open and she was gone.

A balance bike is basically a bike with no pedals. Just the two wheels. Itís the new thing kids have before a normal bike. They push along and ride while balancing. Meant to help them learn quicker and be better riders. All new to me. I donít see whatís wrong with stabilisers or a trike. Thatís all I had 😆
    Oh well. It and all the other presents are now wrapped and in a spare room behind a locked door. Little girl is only two, so no chance of her getting in there.

The holiday was great thanks. Too hot for me. I forget every time that Iím not a big beach lover. I remember too late when we get there, burn our feet on the sand and end up finding sand everywhere for weeks. Ick. The ship was gorgeous and the food more so. Have to get back to my land weight again now. No more 8 meals a day. Meaning Iím constantly hungry til i re-adjust.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Oct 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    angela pleased your Dad was found safely. I cant begin to image what you must have been going through.

I went to Home Bargains today and grabbed a few bits and pieces for Halloween, toothbrushes for the childrens Xmas eve boxes and a couple of birthday gifts.

I wrote a lessons learned log earlier in the year, to help me remember all of the little things I forget. Last year, the children decided they wanted to write Xmas cards for their friends literally the evening before the school holidays started. The only place I could get cards from was Tesco and they only had expensive ones. Then, it was a mad rush to write them out. I grabbed two packs of cards in Home Bargains for £1.98.

I feel like i am failing on the present front at the moment. Not only was there the missing present (I am now convinced I didnt buy a present), now there is the duplicate gift. I had decided to give blankets with sleeves to two people and I ordered the second one a couple of weeks ago. Today, I realised I have 3. Luckily, I have someone else I can give the spare one to.
    The problem stems from not being able to easily access my present storage. I store stuff on a high shelf in my wardrobe, but I need to bring a chair up to the bedroom from downstairs to reach. It’s such a faff. I have told OH that we need a small stepladder, but I keep forgetting to get one.

I saved £10 today on ebay. I bought something which didnt arrive, so ebay sent me a £10 off a £20 spend voucher. I have been trying to rack my brain, thinking about what to buy for a few days now. In the end, I bought OH a tshirt for his birthday and a present for a friends child, who has a January birthday. Another thing on my lessons learned list was to sort out January birthdays before Xmas, as I always get caught out with those. So, I am going to prepare for those birthdays now.
    Last edited by chanie; 14-10-2018 at 9:51 PM.
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 15th Oct 18, 5:24 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Anglea glad ur dad was found okay........definately a scary situation

As for the Christmas chocolates 4 boxes bought......4 boxes eaten
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 21st Oct 18, 10:54 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    My link to hope boxes have now been handed to DD, she is going to drop them off next week.

Have decided to put the 2 Christmas presents in with friends birthday parcel for her DD. Did pop a letter in explaining why but at least I know they will have them if I am out of action.

Still have one Christmas present to wrap but after the nightmare of the birthday presents I'm Dec not in the mood to get any wrapping paper out!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Oct 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    chanie
    Well done on getting your boxes completed happy kitties.. I really need to finish mine off.

I was looking at my Xmas list and I think we are about 70% done. The remaining 30% is manageable over the next few months, so I feel on top of things.

OH siblings confirmed they would be doing Secret Santa between them and picked the names this weekend. There was one sibling who is difficult to buy for and in return, gives awful presents. Luckily, OH has avoided this sibling both in terms of giving and receiving. I am planning on buying OH Secret Santa present this week.
    Spend less - £1451.05
    Live more - £2032.75
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

943Posts Today

7,469Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Today's twitter poll: Should the UK follow Canada and legalise cannabis for recreational purposes? Citizens there? https://t.co/W0wHo6mmm2

• Follow Martin