Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 27
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 23rd Jul 18, 8:13 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I know VintageHistoriantotally agree and there is nothing better when u buy shoes than trotting away with a box after with the new/ or ur old pair in it after and as u say the boxes can be recycled

I was told to always go in the end of the week after deliveries as then there would be shoeboxes but only so many because of the plastic packaging now so better that I am doing the boxes now bec of them only having so many to go around
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • chanie
    • By chanie 30th Jul 18, 10:26 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 11,374 Thanks
    chanie
    I have 1 shoe box so far, which is one we had, from a recent purchase. I also have a shoe boxed sized box from an amazon delivery, which I have put aside as well.

MIL told me that she wants some DVDs for Xmas (films from her youth in the 60s) so I ordered them yesterday. I also ordered a book on the 60s as I thought it could be a good theme.

There wasn!!!8217;t much to buy on holiday that I could use for Xmas presents. I did buy some small tubs of hand and body lotion, which I am going to wrap up for our respective sisters. I also bought some socks from Tesco and will make up some gift bags.

A funny thing (well, funny to me) happened with the socks. In my local Tesco, the socks sometimes get reduced, but the scan on 3 for 2, so if I chose the right ones, I can get 3 pairs for £2 or less. So, I chose 3 pairs of low stock socks and thought it best to use the self checkout so I could price them up. The self check outs were busy and I decided just to pay up and sort it out later. I left Tesco and pulled the receipt out of the bag so I could look at the costs and maybe refund the most expensive pair. A gust of wind blew the receipt from my hand, so I ran back and was chasing it. The receipt blew around a man and he kept trying to grab it for me, but the wind was too quick for him as well. Then, it blew up and over a small single story building, so me and the man looked at each other and shrugged. The receipt then came down the other side of the building, but landed behind some railings, so, although it was only two foot away from me, I couldn!!!8217;t get to it. It was quite funny, but also karma!
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 2nd Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie definitely karma with the socks but I would have been exactly the same with the receipt, curiosity just gets the better of you.

I don't know whether u have a card fact@ry near you but ours has got a sale on with some cracking bits and pieces. Picked up 3 big finding nemo pencil cases for a £1, some beautiful candle holders were 99p each-now 3 for a £1, also picked up sticker books, tea lights, finding memo erasers and pencils all in the 3 for a £1 section so picked up a load of bits for peanuts that will finish off my boxes hopefully......just need the actual cardboard boxes now!!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • chanie
    • By chanie 2nd Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 11,374 Thanks
    chanie
    Thanks for the tip about Card Factory. I have one near my new job, so I will pop in on my lunch break.

Just popped into Sainsburys today and bought a few reduced toys, saving £9. One was a present for my niece, but when I got home, I realised I had already sorted out Xmas...... so it will be her birthday present.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 11,374 Thanks
    chanie
    The items I ordered for MIL (dvds and a book) arrived, so thats one more I can cross off the list.

Whilst in town today, i bought some stocking fillers for the children including some pranks (fake poo, a squirty ring etc), a pencil case and some craft items. That means their stockings are pretty much complete now.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 5th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    I did quite well with a few ďgeneralĒ presents. I have no idea who theyíre for but they will come in for someone. The online pound shop has a lot of Yankee candle bits and pieces. Tart burners, wax tarts, votives and votive holders for £1 each. And a lot of bits on sale at 50p. I got quite a few bits to put away. A Yankee tart burner and a few tarts that cost me a total of £3 actually looks like a decent prices present. Itís all boxed up and seen similar for £10-12 in card shops and garden centre.
    Also I got the voucher from build a bear for £12 (canít remember. Might have been £11) off any purchase. I got a bear all done and boxed up ready, for £4.
    Last bargain was one I saw on a deals page on Facebook. At boots for £5 you could get 3 full size Champneys products that were worth almost £30 separately.
    So, so skint at the moment. So Iím quite happy with those bits and Iím hoping theyíll come in for someone and save me fortune later on.
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £48.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL sounds like you really got some good bargains

Chanie have you much to go now? The prank presents made me smile

I had picked up a cushion at the card factory for DD £4 down to a £1. Wrapped tonight and tucked away as she is back home tomorrow. Back up to date with her presents all wrapped and in one place......no repeats of last Christmas where i was still finding her presents after New Year

Next thing to do is DN is having her birthday so it will be wrapping her presents and popping them in the post to her. Will free up a little bit of room.

Still can't access some other presents for family, they are really tucked away so I am going to wait until next month when DD goes back to uni then hunt them out to wrap as they are stored in her bedroom in a suitcase

Determined that everything will be finished by the 1st November so I can relax esp as I've got to cope with decorating and some work being done to the house
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 11,374 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy kitties I love you finding presents throughout the year, it!!!8217;s like extra treats.

Although I have made good progress, I still feel like I have a long way to go. I do tend to stall around the summer anyway, due to the summer holidays.

I have three teenagers who want cash, but I dont like hanging onto money like that until nearer the time, so I cant cross them off my list just yet.

I dont feel like I can ask the inlaws what they want until September at the earliest. But once they tell me, I can get moving.

We normally dont sort out the children until much nearer to Xmas. They aren!!!8217;t short of anything, so we wait until we get inspired, which is normally nearer to Xmas. This year, we bought them bikes and scooters with my redundancy pay, so they have already done well from us, already.

We have a few birthdays in the autumn (including mine) so we have to factor those in as well.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Aug 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,194 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Hello!
    Not time to lurk here- too busy doing .... so much that I dare not write a list ('cos it will scare me!)

Never got around to telling you that it was a cruise (natch!) to Iceland in late June. Weather in Reykjavik was dire- went on a trip- nothing to see through coach windows with mist, great photos of raindrops on glass! We stopped at one spot with bubbling springs and I was dripping from knees down. Finally dry when we got back to the ship 5 or so hours later!!

However had a great morning whale watching. You might like to see here- look at the whales feeding on June 23- that's what we saw
    http://www.whalewatchingakureyri.is/new-blog?month=June-2018

Other than that 4 weeks in Ireland with 3 of those wonderful weather.

Since I got home a week ago my feet haven't touched the ground. Trying to sort out visa for India- timing is still touch and go and I've given up on the cost- a lot. Twice I've had to send paperwork next day delivery @£6.50. Hope to do the Sri Lankan one online in the library on Friday.
    However have had car exhaust checked, tracking checked and adjusted, painted garden bench, half of shed and two coats on front picket fence. Checked vaccs for India at surgery - none needed, osteopath visit, one hound had booster, outpatient appt, photos for visa, collected 3 cuddly duvets .......and exhausted by heat. It might have been 30 yesterday. Oh, forget had to buy & fit a bolt for the back gate as the wood has shrunk in the heat and lock doesn't function! Not very secure

Have a Christmas present to finally wrap and deliver in 10 days.

I'm off on another cruise shortly, hence the panic. Off to Murmansk & Archangel and guess it will be cooler there!!!

Hope everyone is fit and well
    Last edited by Katiehound; 08-08-2018 at 9:55 PM.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+3045mm (£3.04.5) + RK £8.03
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Blooming heck Katiehound I don't know how you have time to breathe and where you get the energy from, but as long as you are enjoying urself despite the odd hitch like the India paperwork that is the main thing. Hopefully everything will be okay for India and u will have a brilliant time in India and Sri Lanka.

Chanie my DD loved having presents to open after Christmas. There's me feeling guilty every time I found a present but DD thought it was really good.......even when the final one was found at Easter!!!!

If you have a h.b@rgains near u-i got some big A4 sticker flat packs and the colouring books with pencil packs for 29p, the same u would get at the c.f@ctory for 99p. Picked up some of these today so have been working on my third shoebox. Just short of a couple of things that I could have picked up in h. B@rgains cheaper so will try to get these tomorrow.
    I haven't really been in the mood for doing them, have been going through a fatigue patch (dont get very often but when they hit they hit hard, just part of the spinal condition unfortunately) but the sticker packs and colouring packs inspired me to get cracking again so pleased with what I have got done tonight

Still need to wrap DN presents though. Might does these in a bit as I really need to get them sent.

I was talking with DD before and we both have this feeling that once the kids go back to school everything is just going to speed forward and before we know it, it will be Christmas.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 10th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,194 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Sorry Happy Kitties, to hear you are feeling poorly / weak/ not up to scratch- I guess the hotter weather has not helped matters.

I wrote a long reply this morning... and it's gone. Perhaps I forgot to press 'submit reply.'!!

Began to think it was Friday 13th after my washing machine refused to open at the end of the cycle- sun was shining and washing stuck inside. Door would not budge. I guess at 26 years old it doesn't owe me too much! Phoned the repair man who arranged to come tomorrow. There's also a dish washer that needs attention. However when I got home around 5pm door opened perfectly so postponed to another month...... hope it doesn't start playing that little game.

I forgot to say that I was fairly desperate to get away on the Icelandic cruise as in the preceeding 10 days the dogs had pulled me over so that I banged hard and grazed both head and knees landing in a heap on the footpath- luckily no concussion, there was an earthquake (felt nowt) and a murder. You couldn't make it up.

Nothing too exciting to buy in Ireland except Mr T's own laundry liquid which is about 1/3 price there so I came back with a fair few bottles for friends and myself. How can they afford to do that? I was also a good little womble, to the tune of £20

Today I managed to organise the Sri Lankan visa at the library and just now I saw that it has been approved. Just need to have another trip to print that off so that I have the proof. This one came in at US$35, thankfully cheaper and easier than the Indian one.

When I got home from town my set of matching screwdrivers in a holder were on the floor- no- that's not where I had left them, plus one had been extracted and the handle all chewed up! Tough sandpaper will sort a lot of that out. Words were exchanged with 'the boy'

Rain today. It was gratifying to see water pooling on my newly varnished seat. The fence didn't show anything but only 1 litre left of Wilco's fence life- so 4 litres slapped on!!

Thinking I need to sew a doggy duvet or four. I am possibly collecting 6 duvets on Monday! and no, my house doesn't have elastic sides no wonder it looks like a jumble sale!! Some will have to go up inthe loft or my sanity will give up!

Have a good weekend all
    Many thanks

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks Katiehound, the fatigue started when I hurt my arm and it just kicked in and I think u are right the weather definitely didn't help.
    Just feeling more like my normal self when without me knowing my brake drops off my wheelchair this morning and I went flying onto the floor with my toast. Think a few bruises tomorrow, just keeping an eye on my knee to see if I have to if I have to go to A&E. Flipping typical.

Sorry to hear you have been in the wars with the dogs pulling u over. Hope u are okay now.
    Good to hear the Sri Lankan visa has been sorted

I hope everyone is plodding on and getting things done. It is hard as Chanie pointed out getting stuff done in the summer holidays. My DD is at uni now, home for the holiday but back and forth to her BF. I'm all over the place half the time and very frustrated that I only need 2 items to finish my third shoebox now I am back on course.

But I do have enough items to do my final charity box to Cats Protection and have finally wrapped DN presents.....just need to send them now. I just don't seem to be getting much else done in the meantime
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 11,374 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy kitties I hope you are in the mend now.

Katie pleased to see you have lots of nice trips to look forward to.

I have a big birthday coming up next year and am planning a weekend break with OH. We havent done a weekend break since having the children and I am looking forward to some adult time without the children.

I bought my first Xmas 2019 present yesterday which was a leather Osprey pouch (for DSis) reduced from £50 to £15 in TK Max. Its ironic as I still have lots of 2018 stuff to buy, but I thought it was a good present at a good price.

I also picked some some onesies for the childrens xmas eve boxes in the Sainsburys 25% off clothing.

At lunchtime, I picked up some paint by numbers kits from pooindland for the children stockings.
    Last edited by chanie; 15-08-2018 at 5:49 PM.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 17th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 7,075 Posts
    • 17,343 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone.
    I know I've been awol I think the main reason is due to the high temperatures we were having before, I was avoiding the computer room where I use this site as it was like a sauna and since the weather has changed I've been busy with DS's visits (eg at this very moment) and I went to Bristol Saturday for the Balloon fiesta, walked to the top of a very steep hill to watch them in the evening only to discover they'd been cancelled, but had a good day out nevertheless doing other things. I've also been to Bath for the day and a couple of cider/music festivals, plus extra trips to Bristol for paint and meals out.

My paint buying for the living room has turned into a fiasco and still don't have any even after going several times, and my friend even went elsewhere and ordered some other paint in a similar shade only to get a call to say it has been discontinued, so I'm not happy and the piano has been sat in the middle of the room for months lol

Katiehound, you seem to have had a lot of adventures with the receipt and a nasty murder nearby and getting wet on your Iceland trip. There was a shocking one where I live too, and it's a place where you normally just read about plant pots being vandalised, not things like that.

Like the rest of you I was surprised also to read shoe shops using plastic bags instead of boxes, I would have more imagined them to say there's a lot of competition from online sales rather than cutting down on cardboard.

I wonder how Mum2one is getting on with Miss Hoodie?

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 17th Aug 18, 9:57 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,194 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I wonder how Mum2one is getting on with Miss Hoodie?
    Originally posted by Anglea
    The very thing I have been wondering too.

Any how off south tomorrow- cruise is on Sunday from Tilbury and I literally haven't packed a thing!!Going to do it in the morning- everything is clean so I shall just dash round grabbing things.

The dogs went into kennels this morning.
    I have collected 14!!! duvets in less than 2 weeks. They are everywhere. I have also sewn and delivered 11. Now I need folk to buy lots and lots!

Bedtime
    Byeeeeeeee
    Many thanks

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 18th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Have a lovely time on your cruise Katehound!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 18th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 5,267 Posts
    • 169,420 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Shouldn't the name of this thread be changed?
    Winging it since 1972
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 18th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Katiehound have a brilliant time on the cruise, hope you got all your packing done okay. Knowing me I would have left something behind

Chanie sometimes when you see a good bargain and you know it will be a brilliant present, buying for Christmas 2019 just has to be done. Some friends are so shocked that I've got a couple of presents for 2019 but when they've been a good price and you know that it is ideal for somebody I've just felt I can't leave that behind.
    A weekend break for your birthday, that is my type for break. Can't manage big holidays but when I've had to work and go away for the weekend I've still just enjoyed and made the most of the break. It will be a cracking treat.

Well things have been better healthwise and have been getting back to normal when something completely unexpected happened and I now have to have a procedure on Monday. Will hopefully make my life a lot easier.

Said I had done the last of my charity parcels but ended up sending another one and I have a load of stuff in the kitchen as I am trying to declutter........very slowly.
    I'm not getting very far with packing up the living room, it's just not happening. Have sorted, temporarily homed the odd item but after DD gets to it, it looks a right state. That room will be decorated before Christmas, I'm determined on that.

My Christmas link to hope boxes.....very nearly finished the third one. Need parcel tape and some more sweets that I ate from the box. DM hat and glove production factory is now in full production. She has made some really nice things so far just using up left over wool. Still need to give them a call though.

That's about it from me. No birthday presents to send until October now so all quiet on that front
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 19th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Well my little girl turned two two days ago. Party was yesterday! So now all the stress and hassle of all that is done I can concentrate more on Christmas. I saw all the craft bits in the works the other day and had a little happy dance.

Ooh. Canít wait to hear about your cruise. Ourís is 6 weeks and counting. Canít wait.

Iím waiting for all the summer clothes sales to start so I can hunt bits out to put away. Assuming it should be starting soon. There are 7, soon to be 8 grandkids for me to buy for on my Dadís side, as well as the niece and nephew on mumís. So itís getting crazy expensive. Iíve hinted heavily at us not all buying for each other. Because thereís only one kid for them to buy for and all those for me. I canít afford it. But I sadly get either ignored or guilt tripped. So if I can get things on reduced..
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £48.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 20th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    ccl I know exactly what u mean. My girls are grown up now but friends, cousins etc still insist in buying, even when I've tried to stop it, it's fallen on deaf ears several times so now I just go with the flow but get my best bargains hunting skills out. By doing it all year I've had some cracking bargains.
    Have also done the summer clothes sales in the past to pick up presents.

Happy birthday to your little girl. Craft bits in the works-godsend when my little girl was younger. I remember one Christmas, she must have only been about 3 in a fancy dress costume playing with the works paint dabbers and crafts and making pictures all day for everyone. It's the Christmas I remember the best
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,977Users online

Martin's Twitter