Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 26
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd Jun 18, 4:10 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    chanie
    happy kitties what else did you order from eBay (looking for some inspiration)?

Sorry your cat hasn!!!8217;t been well. Hope you managed to get her home today.
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 1471.75
    Live more - 2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Jun 18, 8:44 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 38,982 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Katiehound, was the amnesia the diagnosis instead of a suspected stroke? Were you alone when it all happened?
    Originally posted by Anglea
    Yes, the diagnosis of amnesia was instead of stroke but they weren't sure at the start as speech also slightly slurred hence blue lighted to a major hospital 40 miles away.

Yes I was alone, kept phoning a friend in London with same Qs, about 12 times in all!
    In the end she said 'Put down the phone, I'm phoning for an ambulance!' I had made an appt with GP but ambulance got here before that.

It seems like I had a flashback to 14 years ago when a rottweiler broke through a garden fence and attacked our dogs. Ended up in hospital with amnesia then.
    They were thorough with CAT scan & X-ray (don't remember) and an MRI brain scan. Luckily all clear
    I was pleased to get home, of course! but especially to have different clothes having worn the tatty dog walking gear for 60 hours!!!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+.2440mm (2.44) + RK 7.00
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Jun 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 38,982 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Happy Kitties- sorry to hear about your cat, do hope she recovers quickly
    Many thanks

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 4th Jun 18, 8:37 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Katiehound sounds like a really scary time. Do they think it will happen again with you, will u be prone to having the amnesia blackouts?

Chanie with not being near a pound store I managed to pick up some brushes with mirrors in the handle that fold up, solar powered calculator cheap, compact magnifying glass, 2 woollen scarves that will go great with what my mum is knitting. I was lucky with those and picked up some of those kids magic gloves that stretch, those were cheap aswell. I had to hunt about a bit, but it was u ordering the multi tool kits on eb@y that gave me the idea to try and hunt out things I just cannot get round here.

Some bits I managed to get in Savers, not a shop usually go in thought i might just go in for a mooch, got a pack of combs for like 50p and shower gels were much cheaper.
    I'm struggling where to get some tights cheap but I'm enjoying hunting out bargains we take for granted that are much needed by others

Puss cat is home with a great big gash down her back-they think from a claw as she was trying to escape. I'm am now 340 lighter and the poor cat is wobbly and docile with all the meds it is having to have at the minute. Plus she is grounded!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 4th Jun 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 38,982 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Glad to hear that your cat is marginally better, not so good to hear about the bill!

Hopefully won't be prone to more amnesia! Will have a follow-up appt at stroke clinic- 'though not really relevant.

Will contact GP tomorrow (that's long & involved, bet I don't ever see a doctor) to see if there is anything I can use as a coping mechanism. Have asked my friend who phoned the ambulance to quiz her daughter who is a child pyscologist and pick her brains.
    Unfortunately the brain switched itself off, it wasn't a conscious decision; that's probably the most worrying part.
    Many thanks

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Jun 18, 4:42 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Well puss cat is recovering slowly. Looking at her back I'm surprised they didn't put stitches in. She has wanted to go out a couple of times but she is grounded.....plus the meds are making her drowsy and being a white cat with the weather we've been having, I'm sared that the big shaved patch on her back will catch the sun too much.

Katiehound the brain switching off subconsciously doesn't sound good but hopefully you might have got a few answers from somewhere....easier said than done with doctors sometimes when it's something they've never come across or never want to commit to a diagnosis unfortunately

Well haven't had time to ring link to hope yet but did pick up my first shoebox today. Looking forward to packing it properly tonight. Fell lucky last night was having a look on amaz@n ready for father's day and came across lightweight scarves with free postage for 55p so ordered a couple which will help with packing round things aswell. Hoping to do 5 boxes altogether and my mum is happy as it has got her using up the last bits of wool to make hats and gloves.

Cannot believe how fast June is going before we know it it will be Christmas
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Jun 18, 10:41 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 38,982 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I have worked out that the trigger is visual & auditory and involves my own dogs- that's why it's not going to happen when driving or on holiday. GP suggested hypnotherapy but no call back from the most qualified fairly local (of course could be on holiday.). Next week will try a local therapist- not sure if there's hypno 'though.

I now have the fire brigade coming to see me on Monday since I had a ride in an ambulance- to check how safe I am. House is like Steptoe's yard x 3 with stuff everywhere!! So trying to clear the floor, hallway & stairs. I'm something of a maximalist They are going to fit smoke alarms.....

My 8 boxes are completely packed and wrapped. I gave up on the last 2 calculators as the shop said they wouldn't be in stock until next week- and might not be the same anyway. You couldn't get another thing in anyway- boxes have more layers of selotape then paper!! to hold together with bowed lids. I wanted to get rid of as much 'stuff' as possible but looks like there are 3 big shopping bags full for next year- mainly hats & thin scarves.

Today I emptied the collecting box at dog groomers- 65 in it for Dogs for Good. 4 duvets & some material to be collected from PO and they have sold 4 doggy duvets too. So, instead of clearing (ha ha) the house would rather be sewing as I want to get the items made and delivered- out of my way.

With that in mind off to bed and hope to rise early
    Many thanks

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jun 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 38,982 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Two smoke alarms supplied and fitted for free and 2 x carbon monoxide alarms supplied (luckily don't need fitting.)
    I am assured the battery life for all of these is 10 years.

House is slightly clearer and much cleaner! But I need to get going with duvets.... cruise to Iceland on Monday... not long now
    Many thanks

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Jun 18, 3:25 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Puss cat doing much better, still being sick a bit but off all meds now and is allowed out but she is just staying in the garden
    Not so good for my mum's dog, we had to have her put down yesterday. The vet came to the house and it was all really peaceful. Upsetting but peaceful

First box nearly packed. Just waiting for a couple of bits to arrive and then that one is done. Going into the shoeshop on Friday to get my next box which I will start packing up Friday night. The way it is going I will end up with 6 altogether. Read the diary online about the delivery of the boxes last year and some of the places they took the boxes too. Some of the stories broke ur heart but some with photos esp the oap boxes, the smiles said everything and just how grateful they were that someone had thought of them

Katiehound enjoy ur trip to Iceland, sounds fab, how long are you going for?
    It is interesting what u said about the triggers being visual and auditory. My DD has a problem with sunlight and migraines and bec of a chemical imbalance in the brain causes her body and brain to disconnect.

Nothing much going on here present wise. Trying to wrap more presents for Christmas but as everything is so tightly packed away it would be a real hassle to get everything out.
    Ordered a bottle of whisky for my stepfather from amaz@n to be delivered straight to his. Just need to sort out cards now to send.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 26th Jun 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    chanie
    I went to a roadshow today and as I was walking around, it occurred to me that I could get some freebies for my link boxes. I managed to get pens, mini torches and tins of mints. Am very pleased with my haul.
    Spend less - 1471.75
    Live more - 2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Jun 18, 9:18 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    That is a really good idea Chanie have just been sent some freebie pens so will use some of them to pop in my boxes.

First box completely packed and wrapped. I only left the list that u tick inside it so rather than get through the mountains of sellotape I'm just going to use another to pop on top. I even wrapped it in Christmas paper and wrapped a Christmas present that now needs tucking away.

Really need my mum to get cracking on the knitting for the next box but who wants to be knitting woollen gloves in this weather. Also need to get my next shoebox to start packing to see what I 've got. Found some good cheap shower gel in Asd@ for 33p that are brilliant for the boxes.

Nothing else to report really. Hoping to dig out the other half of the Christmas present I wrapped last night and wrap it tonight so I can completely tick it off my list.

All quiet on the birthday front until October now..
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Jun 18, 1:41 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Other half of Christmas present has been dug out and wrapped and both presents now packed away together.
    Getting there slowly, it doesn't help that some presents are really packed away
    • chanie
    • By chanie 1st Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    chanie
    I bought two toys for children in the family on Friday. They werent in the sale, but the price is the best I have seen, so I snapped them up.

This weekend, we stayed in a hotel as a treat and I nabbed all of the toiletries for my Link boxes. I have about 20 bottles of body wash, shampoo and body moisturiser and soap and I think they will be a nice addition.
    Spend less - 1471.75
    Live more - 2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Second link box nearly completed, I'm just waiting for the magnifying glass to arrive and then that will be finished.

Still struggling to access presents, still can't find some, some I have found I am going to try and wrap tonight. Would have done it last night but crashed at 7pm

My DD bought me something in the sales very reduced down from 15.
    She thought I could use for somebody but already had their present for Christmas and birthday next year and really did not know what to do with it so it has gone into a charity auction for one of the main charities we support.

I've noticed with the younger ones in the family they have really big birthday presents this year. Once their presents go at the end of the year I will have a lot more room to play with

Bought my mum's b'day present at the garden centre. Very quirky mouse for the garden. Her birthday isn't till October but it was reduced, it is something she will love and knew if I left it, it wouldn't be there when I went back. My mum is becoming notoriously difficult to buy for and she has become quite outspoken about not wanting any more pyjamas, biscuits, doesn't want chocolates.jams she has enough of. Basically a nightmare!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Second OAP link box now fully completed and wrapped.....and boy do I hate wrapping.

Going to have to wait for some items now before I can start the third box. They're not as easy as they sound, howKatiehound has done 8 of them I don't know

Have been having a sort out and a change round of things. Some bits I have had in my present box for what seems like forever have been packaged up to go to another charity for tombola prizes and I have managed to find a few more things to wrap for Christmas which I am going to do today. Storage will be easy they can go in drawer I am going to fix today that fell apart when I opened it looking for something the other day. In fact the whole house seems to be falling to bits at the minute with the hall ceiling looking to collapse at any time due to leaks before, during and after wet room.

Cannot believe we are in July already and we are moving through the month so quickly.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 21st Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Where has everyone gone on the thread, we are so quiet but it is the start of the summer holidays?!

Another shoebox I collected for my link boxes I have used to pack up more items to send to the charity needing tombola prizes instead.
    I'm still waiting on items to complete my third link shoebox so I've put the empty shoebox to good use for another charity. Some present spares plus some cuddlies of my DDs that are packed away doing nothing and I also have DN ones aswell, I've packed them up in the shoebox instead this morning so this will be the second box sent to the charity for their tombola. Feel happy to have had a mini sort out esp as it's things going out of the house that will be put to good use by someone else.

By having mini sort out I have managed to access a box with Christmas presents in so I am planning to wrap tonight and have a bit of an update. I would really like everything done and completed by the 1st November otherwise I don't get to enjoy December.

Then putting Christmas to one side I need to pack up the living room more ready for decorating, trouble is I have pulled a muscle badly in my arm which is sooooo painful so everything is at snail pace.
    On a good note I did manage to fix the fallen to bits drawer it's just the ceiling and leaks that still need sorting now.

I am planning on packing up one more charity tombola prizes box but will leave until next weekend but it does mean more items out for the house. Will get there in the end.
    Plan on taking a break from the link boxes as I'm at a crossroads until a couple of items arrive and my mum starts knitting!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 21st Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,651 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I actually need to get hold of some empty shoeboxes soon, the Really Useful Box I keep my supplies in is now overflowing and I find it easier to work out what else to buy if I divvy things up between the shoeboxes.

That said I did manage to get some extra supplies from The Works the other week; two pencil cases, two geometry sets, two adorable little friendship bracelets, two notebooks, and two small cuddly toys. I also had my sewing kit supplies arrive from Amazon, so each kit now has several sewing needles, some spools of thread in different colours, and two thimbles each. One has a tape measure so I've ordered a second one, and I also need to get some pins, a pincushion, some safety pins, and some very small scissors. If there's any space left then I'll look for more thread, or possibly some small squares of scrap fabric that could be used for patching things up.

Back to school sales kick in towards the end of August so I always hold off on buying stationery until then. Did get two little boxes of colouring pencils from Tiger a few months ago though. So it's mainly pens, pencils, and a box of crayons, and notebooks for school as well of course.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Jul 18, 9:18 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy kitties a combination of the summer holidays and starting a new job has meant my prep has been sidelined. I am currently on holiday and I always keep an eye out for Xmas gifts when I go away, but never see anything decent (mostly junk in the shops). I did, however, grab the hotel slippers for my Link boxes.
    Spend less - 1471.75
    Live more - 2032.75
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 22nd Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    chanie really pleased that you have got a new job sorted and fantastic about the slippers. Why can't i get anything like that....all I did last night was eat the bar of chocolate I had lined up for my next box

It is weird now my girls are older I'm on uni timetables.
    Because I've held back on the family link boxes for my mum's knitted items i plan to make the most of the cheaper prices with the back to school items.

I did manage to wrap some presents last night but really wasn't in the mood. I hate wrapping so much but had to finish off DD BF presents or they would have not got done. Must get a card tomorrow and hopefully will wrap a bit more tonight.

VintageHistorian we only have one shoe shop in town, they were saying it was a good job that I was coming in for boxes now as most items now get sent in plastic bags so it would mean a trek to see what I could get box wise in the next town.

I am really going to start focusing on the living room. Determined to have a nice room by Christmas that is much simpler in design and will look nice when my tree is up
    Had a big box spare so have been sorting out some more items to send to the charity for the tombola prizes. Has felt really good having a sort out and some items are beanies that the girls collected when they were younger so duplicates have gone in the box and I've kept a couple for my family link boxes. Feel that the things going out of the house are being put to good use, raising funds instead of being stuck in storage and never played with.

Weather has become miserable again, I really don't like the damp.

Hope everyone has a good summer holidays and we do get some sunshine back
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 22nd Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,651 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    They're sending shoes in plastic bags now?? How ridiculous, just as we're being told to cut back on plastic use in our daily lives! At least cardboard boxes can be recycled. And surely the shoes are more likely to get squashed if they're all in bags rather than boxes?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin