Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,153Posts
    • 60,021Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 22
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 13th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Agreed. I have lists as to what is stashed where. Wardrobes, attics, cupboards, storage boxes. I swear someday I’ll lose lists and not have a clue. I’ll clme across things years later or a clear out and kick myself.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 1/12
    Read a book a week: 4/52. Money made on surveys and cashback: £30
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    If I lost my bullet point journals that would be the end......I just would not have a clue, people would be getting an interesting selectionfrom things I could find!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    I am quite good at remembering the main gifts I have bought people, but not so much the little ones. When I cleared out my gift box before Xmas, I found lots of little bits and pieces I had forgotten about.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 15th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    oh crumbs Chanie that is me/would be me. Having a rearrange after Christmas I came across 2 presents which after closer inspection I realised they were for DD. This is when I could have done with my list on Christmas day!!!!!
    DD was very happy as it meant two extra presents to open after Christmas but I felt like abit of a muppet. The little ones get me every time......it was the same with DD birthday presents, hunting around with list in hand looking for the little bits of expensive make up
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 17th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 17,293 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

I'm most impressed by all the hidden stashes of gifts, I've got a 3 bedroom house yet have nowhere to hide anything even though the boys have left home lol

I managed to finish the 'open when' Valentine's present for my friend and made 7 hand made cards and wrote funny anecdotes. In one card I mentioned her lucky streak with raffles, fruit machines etc and put in a gold snack bar and scratch card - she scratched it yesterday and won £5 !!

We had a brilliant day out even though there was a problem with the buses and we had to get a taxi first to the first stop, and it was horrendous weather, my umbrella broke etc

I've got a thing about pirate history and we went to 3 pirate pubs, lunch in the first then hot drinks in the other 2.

Special occasions - I'm hoping to enter a cake contest that ends 11th March, I don't know if any of you are a member of Lets bake? You submit a photo and recipe and there are daily prize draws to win some good things. I don't know if I'll get the time as I'm really far behind with all my to do list because of helping mum out with paperwork, I've got lots to do this weekend. Dad is back home now.

There's also dad's birthday and Mother's Day coming up. Some years ago friend and I were going to set up a baking business and were trying out recipes on my craft club, everyone seemed to like what we made and even now I get people asking me to bring things in, but so many obstacles have come up - friend's health, horrendous problems with her new flat, dad's health and even entering the online contest seems to be ill fated so I don't know if it's ever meant to be or maybe the timing has just been wrong.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 23rd Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I couldn't help it........a couple more presents bought for 2019. Was really lucky to stumble on a couple of items in stock in Arg@s clearance and when a train set is down from 25.99 to 6.99 and is a perfect present for my cousin's little boy I just couldn't resist. Plus I had vouchers towards it. Also picked up some children's 'frozen' slippers down to 1.99 the last pair. I really have been lucky this year but DD cat is really eyeing me up suspiciously, if I find a spare bit of space in DD room it's mine!!

Still going with my clearoutfest. Have decided to make it one of my aims this year. It's slow going but I am plodding on with it, continuing to ebay some items although I hate the packaging bit up after.
    Have also set a target to save to go to New York for 5 days before Christmas or just after Christmas 2019 (whichever works out the cheapest). Went years ago for a friend's birthday and had a ball, would love to take DD. Won't be able to travel anywhere this Christmas so have done so pricing up so I know the savings target I am aiming for.

Anglea the pirate history sounds really interesting. Is it a hobby or just something that u are interested in that u like to investigate further? I love unusual things like that.

Easter eggs all bought. Only ate a couple, set myself a strict budget and have made use of any special offers. They have now been hidden from me by me but if they are out of sight, there is far less chance of me eating them.
    Still have to work on mother's day. I think when i get chance I will take a trip to the local garden centre next week to look for any ideas for my mum's garden

Thats about it from me for now, hope everyone is moving forward with their prep
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 24th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 17,293 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

Happy Kitties, what a idea to use a wonderful trip to New York as a focus for your savings and to take DD as well.

Your mention about chocolate eggs is reminding me that it's not that far away and I've also got Mother's Day and Dad's Name day which he celebrates instead of birthday and Spring Equinox shortly before, friend and I tend to do special meals for various seasonal events throughout the year.

As Easter lands on April Fool's day I wonder how many people will pretend to have forgotten eggs for their family?

• Anglea
    • By Anglea 24th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 17,293 Thanks
    Anglea
    Happy Kitties, I forgot to answer your question about Pirate history in my other post, I've always had a big interest in history in general but after my parents took me to The Mermaid Inn in Rye after reading about it in a children's book series (The Lone Pine Club) I have always had a thing about old worlde pubs.

Last week I went to Bristol to the pubs which are supposed to have inspired the book Treasure Island and it was also the home of many famous pirates. I know a lot of people are put off Bristol because of the slavery background, I don't dwell on that as atrocities happen all over the world in all manner of circumstances. Especially in different historical eras where certain things were thought of as the norm.

• chanie
    • By chanie 25th Feb 18, 11:00 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    angela that!!!8217;s a good point about Easter and April fools day.

Happy kitties New York sounds fab

I bought a few prezzies on Friday both in store and on line.
    Tubs of slime, a joke book and gelli bath (turns the bath water to jelly) as stocking fillers. Am really pleased with the gelli bath as it!!!8217;s something I wanted to get and I found it half price.

I also ordered some storage tins for the children which I!!!8217;ll fill with toys and sweets for under the tree.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 26th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie it's presents like the gelli bath that are brilliant presents,u know will go down well but u've managed to pick up half price that always give me the real satisfaction and pleasure in shopping early.Ur doing really well, at this rate we will all be prepared and ready by October, my downfall will be the wrapping bit for sure

With New York, because of surgery this year that will knock me out of action for 4-6 months I really wanted something to look forward to and save towards. After some costing investigations I think I should be able to do it if I get my head down with doing some saving.

Anglea I'm always interested in what triggers a person's interest/hobbies. When I was leaving 6th form back in the day my friends suggested for a laugh that we went on a haunted pub tour in Chester. I loved it. Although I'm rubbish at remembering history facts, the history information behind the pubs was really really good.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 2nd Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    I ordered two keepsake tins for the children which I picked up today. I haventt had a chance to look at them properly yet as I had the children with me (school had been shut for the past 3 days due to 2 inches of snow!).

Im currently in IKEA, having dumped the children in the IKEA crèche. I think I will have a quick look for some gifts whilst Im here.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    More of my online orders arrived over the past few days:

Woolly hat for BIL
    Neckwarmer for my mums partner
    Valet tray for OH

I also picked up some socks for OH in the Sainsbury!!!8217;s sale.

I didn!!!8217;t see anything giftworthy in IKEA, but I did buy a little toy for my baby niece.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    4 birthday presents being sent out this week. It does feel good to be organised and makes life so much easier (but I am the first to admit that I don't like the parcelling up)

Had a tip run as part of my clutterfest yesterday. Have decided that I need to prioritise decorating the living room before New York so have been slowly sorting out the living room, my aim is to get it decorated before the end of June......that will send my stress levels up. Spoke to DD and she is on board with the idea so will keep as a target. Having bought presents isn't half making my targets more 'doable'and life easier.

Just need to do Mother Day. All my mum wants is something for the garden and fish&chips bringing in!! Very difficult to buy for but very easy to please

Chanie what are the keepsake tins like? Are they quite big or small? Very curious as I have a couple of bits of DD that could do with going into a keepsake tin
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Mar 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    The tins are a good size, about half the size of a sheet of a4 paper. You should be able to get quite a few items in them.

Well done on sending out the presents. I had a bit of a disaster today. I ordered some items online and I normally do click and collect but as we were short of time, I decided to get them delivered to work. The Driver couldnt find the entrance to my company so didnt deliver. I was so annoyed, as OH needed the item for tomorrow. They are going to redeliver, but it will be a faff for me to get the item to OH for when he needs it.
    Last edited by chanie; 06-03-2018 at 8:55 PM.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 7th Mar 18, 1:13 AM
    • 16,153 Posts
    • 60,021 Thanks
    mum2one
    Sorry been madness.... a quickie update.

Jim Davidson... git to say he was good, a couple of jokes I had to explain to miss hoodie as they went over her head.. bless her, some jokes heard yrs ago, I would say 8/10

Sarah Millican... that was an adventure getting there, followed sat-nav we ended up in a college car park... came out tried again, o back to the college.... plan b... ring the box office.... we were in the right place, the theatre shares the venue with the college. We had spotted chippie with indoor eating...
    The warm up comedian... he wasn!!!8217;t the best... as for Saran Millican, we both thought she was better on tv.
    It came to so eth8ng...miss hoodie admitted she preferred Jim Davidson and laughed more..

Miss hoodie... she ended up with week and half off school, after go appointment she was diagnosed with severe flu, which left chest infection, crackling on her lungs... sounds daft but took over 3 weeks to clear.

Holiday... can!!!8217;t believe a week ago we were packing to co e home...

Hugurda - EGypt, it was amazing, we had ngtmare on plane on way out, passenger by us got drunk and was really abusive... he drank 8 bottles of wine plus 2 cans cider...
    our hotel was out of this world, they couldn!!!8217;t do enough for us, weather was good, hot 28c fir last few days,

Took miss hoodie on trip thou only she was able to do it, it was unsafe for me to do ladder ... she went on a submarine, loved it.

2min taxi ride we were at shopping mall... popped for a wonder, found dress shop, joked about looking for a prom dress....even thou nit till 2019... said try a couple on give you an idea of style... told her budget next yr was £150 (tbh wanted to say £100 but felt guilty and knew that at the time mum would top up difference); dresses were £200-£400.

In the corner sale rail... tries on 10 different dresses, the lady who worked 5here helped to ge5 her size..

We came back with 2 dresses... retail price £350 (both) sale £123. She looked stunning

Dress 1 navy with silver, hour glass almost like Jessica rabbit style, dress 2, red and silver, loose fitting slightly flowing skirt to it.

Me.., relaxed, holler out, sampled a few cocktails, ended up being called mum by 8 people.., quite funny going into the restaurant got waiter, waving and shout8ng mum I!!!8217;ve got your table...

Even brought some presents out there,.

Mum.. there was an artist there. Pencil drawing.. they were amazing, copied photos off the phone, had one of mum and dad, had tears it was amazing,,, then I had one of miss hoodie done, should have been £90 for both (£30 per person), he did a discount got both for £65

Me. Had a ring very dainty (unlike me) double layer, the bottom is stone set. The top has infinity symbol.

Friend - 60 in March, bookmark of papayas paper, then a silver Pendant of neffititi (excuse spelling)

We came back just at the right time, flew last Wednesday, the time we got the car we were driving home about mid ngt, dropping to minus 6...

Ack to reality...

Don!!!8217;t forget Mother!!!8217;s Day on Sunday... and Monday as anything left tends to get heavily reduced. Xx
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    mum2one glad Miss hoodie feeling better. Oh the dreaded prom, my brother spent stupid amounts as my niece's school goes all out with everyone turning up in limos, official photographer etc.
    Where I live there is only 1 limo that's it but trying to get an appointment for hair, nails done etc what a nightmare. It's good that u've been to get 2 nice dresses now under budget as well.
    Good that u managed to get some presents in Egypt as well, something different and if the opportunity arises u have to go for it,

chanie can I ask where you got the keepsake tins from please? While I've been having my sort outs I've come across a couple of important things of DD that I would like to stay together and a keepsake tin would be perfect

It's such a nuisance when you try and do something that u think will be more practical for u which then turns into a headache and ends up causing problems. I hope u managed to get the item to ur OH okay.

Can I just say how much I so hate packing up presents. They were supposed to be sent today but we had a bucket load of snow. The plan is to get to the post office in the morning.

Just by chance I came across a really nice hydrangea that I'm driving around with as one if my cats will rip the flowers off. Mothers day card all bought, just got to get some chocolate......i think the chocolate my mum will most like is a Smarties Easter egg of all things. She's gone off boxes of chocolate I think she had too many over Christmas.
    Just need to bring the fish and chips in Sunday now!
    I hope everyone is doing well with their plans
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    mum2one well done on your bargain dresses for miss hoodie and all of your other bargains. Egypt was mine and OHs best ever holiday.

Happy kitties
    DS has one of these tins
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bright-Side-Storage-Tin-Box-Lock-Wedding-Keepsake-Christmas-Birthday-Home-Gift/351912064419?hash=item51ef97f5a3:m:mFURSSVEa0TZ71s qhxdJmzw

They do lots of versions. I felt the girl tin was slightly too old for DD (5) so I got her this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rachel-Ellen-Sparkly-Treasures-Storage-Tin-Box-Girls-Bedroom-Accessory/162136718682?hash=item25c019fd5a:g:uqcAAOSww9xZJDw m

Im off to my beloved Home Bargains now. My nearest store is miles away, so I dont get to go very often. I will be on the look out for some stocking fillers.
    Last edited by chanie; 09-03-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    rather disappointed with Home Bargains today, but I did get;

Easter chocolates - including some marshmallows on a stick which look much more expensive than the 69p I paid for them.

Birthday present - DD has a birthday party next week and I managed to get a decent gift at a good price.

Lap trays for the children - I want to keep them for Christmas, but I will probably end up giving to them sooner. Maybe i will wait until Easter as I could use them as a stand for their Easter eggs.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks for the links Chanie I remember my DD getting one from my mum so I've hunted it out after asking her whether I could use it to put some special bits together from her babyhood.
    I remember my mum buying them for everyone when the local garden centre had them in a couple of years ago but I didn't get one and my mum didn't buy for herself so have ordered 2 tins as I've got some special things from my childhood that I want to pop altogether as well

You can't beat a good home bargains. The nearest was in the next town that I was never able to get to very often but we now have one just 5 minutes away. I went in for bleach the other day and came out with a basketful of items. The only problem with ours is it Is very popular but the car park is not the biggest to cope with the popularity.
    Still driving round with my mum's hydrangea in the boot!! I can't tell u how good it has felt to send birthday presents this week that are ready and I've managed to find all the presents. I keep a storage box esp for birthday presents. I'm also sending out things I've sold on eBay as part of my clutterfest, not going very fast with this so far. I do the RM surveys so have been using the stamps I save from the surveys too. Feeling very productive.......even though it's at a snail pace but is creating some space for me!!!!!

Have been putting some ideas in place for living room. My mum has a good eye for these things so have been putting a few ideas together ready for my mum to have a look tomorrow over the fish and chips. It will give me an idea of the savings targets I will need to aim for and how I can keep costs down. My main problem is that not being able to do the decorating myself I always have to get a decorator in, he is a whizz with laminate flooring which he is going to need to do as well. Will be nice to have the living room sorted.
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 12th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 17,293 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone.

Mum2one, sounds like an eventful holiday, must have been awful with the drunk on the plane, Miss H in a submarine!! Not something I'd expect would happen in Egypt, I was expecting an account of the pyramids lol I still can't believe that Miss H is so much older and I'm wondering apart from the prom, where else will she wear those lovely dresses?

I like the look of those tins you are all buying, DS1 never seem the slightest bit interested in any of his mementos and I had to rescue lots of important things (well, I thought they were important) from the bin when he was decluttering.

That's why I keep meaning to label things that have meaning for me from my childhood or belong to ancestors (and are valuable) because otherwise I expect they'll just be thrown out after I'm gone without any consideration. I've been saying this for years and still haven't got round to it.

Happy Kitties, did you manage to give your mum the hydrangea yet or it is still there?

I've been thinking about my living room too and getting ideas. I plan to try out a beach house theme just by buying (or making) blue/green cushion covers just to see what that looks like before I try anything major as I think that some ideas can look good on paper and if you visualise it but can be completely wrong depending on the room position, how much sun it gets etc

Last week I had a botched attempt at a handmade gift for June, will be trying plan B.

On Mother's Day I had a couple of hand made items in a public display, they were made years back and much easier to take (week in advance) than anything that I made in more recent times - one was an embroidered tray cloth with lace edging and the other one was an artist trading card.

Chanie - I haven't had success with lap trays, I found things fell off the sides lol

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,156Posts Today

8,187Users online

Martin's Twitter