Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,153Posts
    • 60,021Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 20
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    I bought DD some pjs for Xmas and I couldnít find them at Christmas. As we donít have lots of storage, the majority of items are kept in 1 or 2 places, but I couldnít find them anywhere. It turns out, theyíd fallen out of the back of the drawer Iíd put them in. At least I found them before she grew out of them.

Happy kitties I have a similar approach to you in how I record Xmas. I keep a log of what Iíve bought and how much it costs. This year, Iíve done it proper Ďbullet journal styleí and Iíve drawn gift boxes for everyone and Iím going to colour them in and add bows etc as I complete their gifts. I also have a page for gift ideas.
    Iím going to keep a list specifically for gift ideas for OH so that I can point people in the right direction. He gets bought lots of generic man gifts, which end up in the charity shop, so it will be nice for him if I can help facilitate some good gifts for him.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 11th Jan 18, 8:18 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    In terms of stocking up. If we havenít all gone mad enough to last three years in this yearís sale.
    Carr factory usually have a good deal on quite cute bags from November onwards. Usually about 5 small, 3 med or 2 large (very large) for £1. Different designs. Seen this for a few years now.

The works too. I got some bits in the sale this year but can see the original prices. 3 set of different sizes pillow gift boxes for £1. Very nice. And an 8 pack of folding gift boxes for £3. Nice is you make mini Christmas Eve boxes for anyone.

Managed to find another box of crackers yesterday. A pound for 12. So thatís three boxes in. One posh and two standard. So Iím good for a while. Really didnít need it, but they donít have anything that expires and itíll save me money in the long run.
    Got to go back up in the attic and start another box of Christmas bits with the window stickers and decorations I got for 10p the other day. Iím sure Iíll have an attic full of nothing but Christmas soon.

I do the buying a bit for Christmas with weekly shopping too. Usually from Sep onwards..letís be honest, things are in the shops then. Dates are good and whenever they have anything Iíll use on offer and I can go away. At least starting a few months early youíll see everything on offer once or twice to pick up cheap.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 1/12
    Read a book a week: 4/52. Money made on surveys and cashback: £30
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jan 18, 11:33 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL you've done really well with getting bits to put away. I got extra Christmas paper this year so I could use the metallic in it for birthdays.

Chanie its a good job you found the pyjamas. It drives me crazy when I cant find something. I have certain places I stash things but when u go hunting and still cant find, its frustrating!

Well DD went back to uni today. Sent her off with snack bags full of reduced Christmas goodies I've managed to pick up when shopping. Was lucky enough to pick up tins of quality street for £1.25 each. Sent 3 tins and reduced crisps for DD boyfriend aswell. Will buy the odd item to put away now for when DD comes home for Easter, she is like a beaver through the cupboards!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    Ooo yes, I need to start thinking about Easter now.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 14th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Ooo yes, I need to start thinking about Easter now.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Snap. When is it this year? I havenít even looked. I bet it wonít be long before the supermarkets all start up the 3 big Easter eggs for £5 type deals.
    I have to be good this year. Just started slimming world. Usually we get a few eggs ďto put away for EasterĒ and then eat them..almost immediately. Got to get for niece and nephew. My little one isnít having much chocolate. I got one of those giant, hollow plastic egg things a while back. So can fill it with presents and a bit of chocolate and re -use it every year.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 1/12
    Read a book a week: 4/52. Money made on surveys and cashback: £30
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I can't believe some supermarkets are stocking creme eggs and mini eggs already.

Mind you it isn't that long until half term so Easter will soon be here at this rate -nearly the middle of Jan already, it normally goes so slow
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    I just think that Easter eggs are such a waste of money. OF course, we will buy eggs for our children, but I really don't want to buy them for anyone else. OH always decides at the last minute to buy eggs for the DN's and by the time he decides to do this, only the expensive ones or rubbish ones are left.

We can afford to treat our DNs to an Easter Egg, but the thought of wasting money on them for anyone other than our children gives me an irrational rage.

I think I will buy some when they are on offer and put them away.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I'm going to wait until the easter eggs are on offer. I hate doing it as they never bother with us but my mum likes for me to get an egg for my DB, sis in law and DN in the hope it will keep the peace in a very dysfunctional family.
    I will get for DN, DD and her boyfriend, DM but I am refusing for anyone else as it gets stupid.......plus I eat them!!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Going to buy sellotape I passed a shop I never ever go in but they had sale items out. decided to go in and have a quick look. Picked up a fab birthday present for March- a metal construction set where you build ur own vehicle down from £5 to £2.50. Made my day as it is the perfect present and will save me time hunting around for something.
    Doing really well with birthdays, my main thing I will need to think about is mothers day as my mum was not happy about receiving more pyjamas at Christmas, its all anyone buys her and her house is slowly filling up with pjs!!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 17th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    Have you any ideas about what you will get your mum?

We have a steady stream of birthdays throughout the year. Most of OHs family have birthdays during the first half of the year and my family is towards the end of the year. I don!!!8217;t worry so much about birthdays as they are only 1-2 every month.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 18th Jan 18, 2:23 AM
    • 16,153 Posts
    • 60,021 Thanks
    mum2one
    Finally cAtching up, ended up 3 days without broadband.... the router was stuck at post office...

Don!!!8217;t know if it!!!8217;s the weather but I!!!8217;ve literally had it all, since new yr, tum bug, cold, cough, sniffles...viral infection but lingers...

Started some pksnn8 g fir Xmas, brought the personal cards from card factory when they were 5 for £1, stocked up on all wrapping paper

Cards are ready to be cut for tags.

Presents... done list for Xmas / birthday / Mother!!!8217;s day, Trying to pick bargains as go along..

I!!!8217;ve got my friends 60th in July, then sept is Miss hoodies 16th bday.... where has the time gone.

The plan is to spend £100 in boots sale (hoping is friday), should make a big dent.

The plan is this yr to get some more if the house sorted, said I!!!8217;d sort miss hoodies bedroom out, seen a bed she likes on amazon, so be saving vouchers to help out xxx
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 18th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    mum2one MSE have managed to get confirmation that the Boots sale is tomorrow so hopefully u will be able to pick up loads of bargains.
    After last year I am def not going, wheelchairs and a Boots sale don't mix!! Got hit by baskets and blocked in to the extent that one woman wouldn't let me out and would rather try and squeeze past me even though she couldn't. Took a good couple of minutes before she relented and let me out after I said that by letting me out she would be able to get in properly and have a look. It was a nightmare.

Chanie- garden things, my DM loves her garden. Have seen really nice plants in planters that I know my DM will really like. Myself and DD did a combined Christmas present for for DM but DD could only source it where she is based for uni, I couldnt get it around here at all as it was on a special offer with Arg@s. It was an old fashioned games console featuring her all time favourite-sonic plus another 80 odd games!!!
    I have a run of birthdays up till June and then they don't start again until October. It's nice to have the break in the middle
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 19th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 7,047 Posts
    • 17,293 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

It's a bit hectic again for me as dad has had to go to hospital Monday night, I rushed round the parents house with friend in the afternoon expecting one of us would have to go in the ambulance but turned out there was huge delay plus discovered that the hospital would be one that's too difficult for us to get back from as the doctor wanted dad to get a bed straight off and not wait around, so the next day we cancelled our usual plans to go early morning for a long journey only to discover he got sent home already but we decided to go to Bristol for a lunch out/shopping for DS2 birthday in any case.

Yesterday as DS2 is here for the weekend (he lives in a group home) dad had to go to hospital again so it was panic stations to see dad at home as the nurses were there calling the doctors. Luckily friend took DS to the pub for coffee whilst I was at parents but I couldn't really stay any longer so I called this morning to locate dads whereabouts in hospital, which ward to call etc. Very arkward timing on a DS visit as I doubt I'll be able to visit dad as it's too far away and a nightmare with several buses. I just hope he won't be staying in hospital too long.

Happy Kitties, your comments about sellotape reminded me that Wednesday night I was going to wrap DS2's gifts but discovered I couldn't find the sellotape, maybe it was all used during Christmas, I may have to look for ribbons or something alternative as I won't be going out to the shops and he needs to go back with the presents ready for his birthday later in the week.

I've had to cancel my Wassailing night on Saturday as it's too inconvenient with so much going on.

Mum2one, it's unbelievable that Miss Hoodie will be 16 this year, I can still remember when she was in Primary school. I was wondering if you're going to do that 60 gifts for age 60 idea as I think you've done ones like that before for other ages for people or is that too inconvenient this year?

Happy Kitties, you must get a lot of hassle just ordinarily with a chair let along at sale time.

Easter Eggs - I'm sure I saw them on the shelves at Iceland straight after Christmas (or maybe even before).

Chanie - I started drawing up several bullet journals for January - daily to do list/ habits and wrote it up for several weeks ahead but it started to look messy and complicated so I've stopped marking up the various sections for the rest of the month (in both notebooks).

How is it working out for you?

crazy-cat-lady - that's good you've got an attic to store Christmassy bits, I've no idea where to put my box of crackers (left over from 2017) and pack of napkins, cards etc. Whilst in Bristol in the week I got a pack of nice Christmas cards for 30p in the reduced section in a Tesco Express and these can add to the pack I got in Card Factory half price few weeks ago. I keep meaning to make cards like I used to but that needs a lot of organising in advance and at the moment there are too many other priorities.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 19th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Anglea-I hope your dad will be okay. It's awful when a parent/relative is in hospital. My niece got admitted on Boxing Day and I was on tenterhooks whether to travel over. I cant use the hospital car park and was just willing to dump the car anywhere to get to her. It is stressful. I'm sure u will have a good weekend with DS
    Sellotape-I think it was exactly that, I came to use after Christmas not realising that I had used it all up.

Well I ended up getting a few bits from the B@@ts sale but wasn't planned. I didn't go into town until 10.30am to do some chores and decided to take a wander up to find out how they got on at 9am as a couple of friends are sale assistants. They didn't have a good time but there was still plenty of stock and stock being put out so picked up a few bits and made the most of my points.Got a couple of nice Zoella stationary sets, there is no way I would have paid full price for them even 50%, but 70% I was happy with.

I have got nearly all of my birthday and Christmas presents now and until birthday presents start going out I have no room for the last bits I have ideas for. But I don't mind as it gives me plenty of time to save for those bits. I feel abit more reassured that while I am out of action for the summer and beyond, everything on the present front is under control and one less thing to worry about.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 20th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    Angela, I second what Happy kitties wrote, I hope your father gets better soon.

chanie - I started drawing up several bullet journals for January - daily to do list/ habits and wrote it up for several weeks ahead but it started to look messy and complicated so I've stopped marking up the various sections for the rest of the month (in both notebooks).

How is it working out for you?
    Originally posted by Anglea
    Not brilliantly. Iím not very artistic so the best I can cope with is a few stencils and brightly coloured pens. I always have a notepad for lists, so my bullet journal is just a slighter prettier Ďto doí list. I guess itís fine for me.

I bought two dinosaur Keyring for the childrenís stockings yesterday from Card Factory for £1 each. We attach them to their school bags so they can identify them easily.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 21st Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    Blankets with sleeves

My newest gift idea. Inspired by OH walking around with a blanket tied around his shoulders, superman cape style. I joked and said I would buy him a slanket (blanket with sleeves) and he thought it was a good idea. The slanket brand is £30 online, but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives for £7-£20 on eBay. They have children!!!8217;s ones as well. I!!!8217;m going to order OH one to try out and if they seem okay, I!!!8217;ll order some as gifts.
    In particular, I may get one for my relative with the degenerative disability as it will keep them nice and snug at home, but can still use their arms.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 21st Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie-my mum has one, she loves it. uses it all the time when doing her knitting and watching the tennis. I think it is a slanket , my brother clubbed together with me a couple of years ago to get my mum one. We weren't sure but it is well used esp as she has dropped alot of weight and feels the cold easy. Highly recommend as a present
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    Thanks for the positive recommendation, happy kitties.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 22nd Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Would def recommend Chanie without a doubt. My mum's problem is that she will leave it on the side of the settee, come back and the cats are straight on it. Very often has the cats snuggled in with her unless they are attacking her knitting!!

Will get to see DD at uni this weekend, so I am very slowly wrapping her birthday presents ( I so do not like wrapping) to drop off as I will miss her birthday. Won't get to see her until Easter after the weekend. It's slow going, especially so soon after Christmas. Also I've got to dig some of her presents out due to an overload of stored |Christmas paper
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 25th Jan 18, 1:51 AM
    • 16,153 Posts
    • 60,021 Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas Challenge - Jan
    Santas Challenge -
    January

Birthday / Christmas list
    Whether its a spreadsheet or notepad, start the list of birthday /Christmas/ valentines / mothers day / fathers day... Check whether you have any special birthdays in there.

Sales / Recycling
    Hopefully the sales have been generous to us all, and recycling just remember not to give it back to the same person...

Tags
    if you have some nice card pcitures cut around these and use them for gift tags

Free Money...
    Snapping receipts..
    Shoppix, Shoprize uk (android only), bigDL, receipthog -
    it is a penny here, few pence there.. soon adds up,

Survey Sites
    There are so many survey sites out and about, look at adding a new site in every month. Set yourself a review as after a month or so your find out whether it works for you or not. Always cash out as soon as you can as sites can close / be a pain to get payout.

Spare Diary
    Grab a spare diary, and use it for keeping receipts in, there all be in one safe place if anything breaks your not doing the hunt the receipt dance...

Prescriptions
    If you find you have regular prescriptions - (if there anything like mine) some I get given 6 weeks, others 4 weeks, some 2 weeks worth..
    Grab a pen and paper, sort out how many you need per day then week - 4 weeks, set your ordering into a pattern

(for me - 4 week system, week 1 - big order week 3 small order (covers 2/3 weeks tablets)

Miss Hoodies Corner...
    Freezer.... After being the hub of the home over Xmas, nows the time to see how many loose sprouts have taken route at the bottom of the freezer/

Argos
    Usually around the end of the month Argos change the catalogues, they have previously added more items to the clearance section, can always look at your local store.

What do I want to achieve
    Whether its learn a new hobby, visit somewhere you want to see again / new adventure. Finish off your work in progress..

The skys the limit xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,632Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter