Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,153Posts
    • 60,021Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 19
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 1st Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Happy New year everyone.
    Didn't go out last night, my days of partying are well and truly over. Quiet one in with Jools Holland until 12.30am. A couple of my cats were frightened by loud fireworks going off so I'm glad I stayed up.

Chanie-ur OH obviously knows u too well if he had already guessed u would do something with the empty cocktail baubles

I work in inclusion, the effects on the person and the surrounding family can be just devastating.My niece is lucky in the fact that she is independent but relies on constant medical treatment which has put everything she loves on hold.
    Def going to work on the hamper idea and look out for foods and things from the world she has travelled to. Already have had a couple of ideas from this to go in her hamper that I think she will love.
    Excited now for this Christmas to work on this idea!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • chanie
    • By chanie 2nd Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Am rather annoyed. We asked SIL what she wanted for Christmas and she said a tablet case. Despite us asking loads of times for the make and model, SIL just wouldn!!!8217;t tell us for ages. We finally got it out of her and bought a case based on that and now she is saying it doesn!!!8217;t fit. I bought it online, so I!!!8217;m not sure whether I can return it and I really hate the faff of returning online purchases and I!!!8217;ll avoid it where I can.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 2nd Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 16,153 Posts
    • 60,021 Thanks
    mum2one
    A flying visit... have no broadband only been since midday and feels like Iíve lost a limb..... miss hoodie said want am I going to do, ive have to speak to nan....

Stopped from bt to sky... the router was suppose to be delievered on 28th... itís at the local sorting office.... they have promised to courier one on... waiting patiently....

If itís ok with everyone change the title to 2018... weíve got a nice little group here.

Be back soon for proper catch up xxx
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • chanie
    • By chanie 2nd Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Gift Ideas for 2018

Here are some gift ideas I!!!8217;m eyeing up this year, in case it helps anyone who is stuck for ideas:

peshtemal towelsthese towels are used in Turkish hamans. They fold up small and dry quickly. Ideal for those who like travelling or into exercise. You can buy them on eBay for about £10.

Travel mug my sister has recently got a coffee machine so she!!!8217;ll be able to make one !!!8216;to go!!!8217;. I commute to work and I love mine on those cold days. TK Maxx have lots of different styles. You could wrap them in cellophane with a coffee voucher or some biscuits.

Cashmere wrist warmers these are a great alternative to gloves and come in lots of colours. Try Brora (£40), Turtle Doves (£25) or eBay (under £10, but not sure of the quality)

Cath kidston tote I bought one as a gift a few years ago and are a stylish way to avoid buying lots of plastic bags (better for the environment too). Cath Kidston also sell lots of other items with their iconic prints,like spectacles cases, travel card holders, mugs, etc.

Travel jewellery case or roll I leave my jewellery at home when I go away, but I think they could be a good idea for people who don!!!8217;t.

Man/coin tray inspired by another poster, my OH empties his pockets of his wallet, coins etc and leaves them in a shelf. This will help him keep his bits and bobs together (and tidy).
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 2nd Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Cath Kidston has a big sale on at the moment still. Iíve had a few bags, stationary bits and keyrings from there. The keyrings make nice stocking fillers at £3 and £4 each. Even got a kidís handbag to put away for my little girl.
    Sure I saw totes for £6 and £8 in various prints and sizes.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 1/12
    Read a book a week: 4/52. Money made on surveys and cashback: £30
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Today, I bought a candle for DM from Dunelm for £1. I was waiting by the tills and it smelled nice, so I thought I!!!8217;d grab it.

I also bought OH a stand for his Tablet from Ikea. He normally props it up with tea towels or whatever else he has to hand, but he!!!8217;s using it now. They have a couple of different ones in plastic and wood ranging from £1.50 to £10. Could be a good idea for a teen.
    Last edited by chanie; 03-01-2018 at 7:21 PM.
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 3rd Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    DD is currently taking the tree down, feels very final now. Will move bits back into the Christmas tree space tomorrow but feels very depressing.

Have been trying to keep spends low with having a good start with the sales.
    Managed to get DD a Lisa Angel necklace recommended on the grabbit board down to £2.40 with free postage for her birthday next month. Originally I thought I would have to send her some presents to uni, forgot I would be seeing her at the end of the month so can take her presents then. I know she won't open them, she hates having to open any present early unless it was intended.

Picked up 5 special cards for a £1 in the C@rd factory. Not alot of stock left now, but was happy with the cards that I got.

Since talking about my niece, found some expensive make up that she likes to go in her hamper-£12 off and I was able to use my B@@ts points....bargain!!!!! My mum ordered a couple of bits online, one she particularly likes and wants 2 more of if I can get. The local store has alot of stock left so will pick up the same time as the make up. Even DM has started early on this Christmas

Chanie- did you manage to sort out SIL tablet case? That's a hassle that u don't need after Christmas.
    Will be pinching ur idea of the tablet stand. I also prop mine up on anything I can find. If anyone asks me for present ideas for me that is going on the list!

CCL-I had a look at the Cath Kidston sale that u mentioned as the world and it's wife have been on the look out for a new bag for me with no success so far!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    [QUOTE=Happy Kitties;73657095]

Chanie- did you manage to sort out SIL tablet case? That's a hassle that u don't need after Christmas.
    Will be pinching ur idea of the tablet stand. I also prop mine up on anything I can find. If anyone asks me for present ideas for me that is going on the list!

QUOTE]

You've made some good progress already with your gifts. Well done.

No, I haven't sorted the tablet case and I'll just give it to the charity shop. It wasn't expensive and I can't find the receipt or return label.
    Whats interesting about SIL is that she normally puts zero effort in to presents. She seems to buy presents exclusively from the Supermarket and grabs the first item she sees (particularly if its on the sale rail!!!). She called up OH before Xmas and asked him his size, whilst she was out shopping. Despite him telling her, she still picked up the wrong size. It wasn't a mistake either, as she bought him two items in the wrong size!!!
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Jan 18, 7:16 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Is OH able to change the sizes Chanie or is it one of those situations where it is just best to keep quiet?
    My DB and wife bought my DD some footwear, Despite me saying nicely she has so many pairs as she gets sponsored through sport and would they mind not getting as she has to wear the sponsor stuff I got, 'tough we've bought them so she is getting them'. The design on them there is no way she can wear them but have decided it is best to keep quiet. Last years pair is still sitting in the cupboard aswell not even out of the box despite me saying then don't buy.

I am officially all shopped out. DM asked if I was near B@@ts could I get another set that she had bought online for a birthday present. The Card F'actory is right next door so managed to get all of the really nice gift bags down from £1.49 to 37p. While DM was very happy I am frazzled and shopped out but the 75% sale went live quickly with the card place. I just got a couple of gift bags and some more paper but DM wanted bags, bows and paper. I came out overloaded but my DM is happy and raring to go ready to wrap presents for this year!!
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 5th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    LMG1305
    I like the idea of a jewellery roll Chanie & I think I might get one for myself too. I usually just take one or two items of jewellery with me whenever I go away, but it's always just thrown in my makeup bag, ends up at the bottom & I forget about it so a jewellery roll would be great because they don't take up too much room but also keep my jewellery safe. Thank you : )
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    happy kitties the items have gone to the charity shop - tags still on, so they will be a good bargain for someone.
    There was no point in giving them back, SIL would have just sat on them. She once bought DD some shorts for her birthday. I was a bit annoyed at SILs lack of common sense, because DD is born at the end of summer and they wouldn!!!8217;t have fit her next summer. So, I smiled sweetly and asked her to get the next size up. Needless to say, we never heard back.
    I don!!!8217;t mean to come across as ungrateful, but I really don!!!8217;t see the point in buying a gift that is useless to the recipient, like the case of your DDs trainers.

LMG1305 I came across this jewellery box in Marks and Spencer today. It!!!8217;s much cheaper than others I!!!8217;ve seen. There are some really nice ones out there but they are quite expensive for what they are (something that will be used a couple of times a year maximum) so I!!!8217;m thinking of getting this for DM.
    Last edited by chanie; 05-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Few more bits to go away. A Facebook bargains group showed B&M were selling all their Christmas stock for either 10p or £1. So we got some crackers (already got 2 boxes!), letter to santa kits, window stickers and few other bits. Grand total of £1.30
    Iíve been very well behaved in the sales this year. I usually go nuts in boots on gift sets and end up with so many I do t need or use. So only got a few this time. Iíll maybe get a few bits in the 79% if anything is left. Got a few more toys to put away for my daughter for birthday and Christmas but I need to calm down. This time was far too much.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL-I know what you mean. Even though Ive got bits cheap, used up the last of the gift cards, managed to get some really nice items cheap or for free with points that will have me sorted for birthdays, with doing stuff for my DM aswell I feel all shopped out like I've gone overboard. I've kept a record of everything spent and savings made so might add up the birthday ones tonight.
    Unfortunately I need major surgery this year that will knock me out of action for 4/6 months so in many ways I am glad that have bought the items. I've found that I haven't bought so much from B@@ts this year.
    The necklace from Lisa Ange/ for DD birthday arrived today. Really lovely. I don't think I would have paid the full price of £9 for it, but £2.40 with free postage-bargain!!!!

Chanie-I don't think you are sounding ungrateful at all. To make matters worse the trainers DB bought have swear words all over them. DD is on a talent performance pathway with GB and its all about positive image and creating the right impression. If DD wore the trainers they would have a fit. It's such a waste esp when I gave DB some ideas of things DD would like but they obviously had their own ideas. DD said she was happy with all of the presents she had this year, people had obviously thought about what she would like/need but did say the only duff present were the trainers
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 6th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 7,048 Posts
    • 17,294 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of the posts I've missed over the past few months although I didn't quite catch up even though I read about 5 pages!

Katiehound - sorry to read you had to cancel your dream cruise due to ill health. Thank goodness your neighbours from hell have gone. My friend that does all the Christmas food shopping and stays for 9 days has had nothing but problems since she moved into her new flat, it's like it's been jinxed or on a ley line and neighbours was part of the issue, the other is non stop mixups with utilities.

I hope you have had a peaceful time lately with the neighbours gone.

Mum2one, yes it's a good idea to stick to this thread instead of a new one for 2018. Have you recovered from your trips to Agadir and Prague? Did you do as many presents as you've done in the past?

Happy Kitties - I'm curious about the chocolate block for DD's b/f especially if you had a voucher towards it, must have been something very special. How did you manage with the relatives that threatened to visit you at a very inopportune day just before Christmas? Thank goodness your turkey survived the cats. Glad you enjoyed Prague.

Chanie - what's the knack with the travel mugs? I've had many a drama when they've spilled including all over my bedside cabinet and down the side of my bed. What was everyone's verdict on your home made Christmas pudding?

Crazy-cat-lady - Did your little girl ask if it's the same Santa after seeing so many different ones during the Christmassy visits?

I found an elf sitting on my windowsill in the carport by the front door lol my friend put it there. We spent Christmas week with my boys at home and visiting my parents and we stayed in NYE.

I don't think there were any disasters only that as usual friend had overbought cheese (enough for an army) and too much alcohol and also too much cream - there was brandy butter, brandy cream, clotted cream, brandy liqueur and creme freche. She said that last one was a mistake as assumed it was another clotted cream which she likes and didn't have glasses on.

• crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Hi everyone,

Crazy-cat-lady - Did your little girl ask if it's the same Santa after seeing so many different ones during the Christmassy visits?
    Originally posted by Anglea
    Thankfully not. Still too small to question it. Iím sure it wonít be too far off. Iím ready with the usual excuse.

Santa is too busy to be EVERYWHERE himself. He sends his elves dressed as him to help and report back.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Chanie - what's the knack with the travel mugs? I've had many a drama when they've spilled including all over my bedside cabinet and down the side of my bed. What was everyone's verdict on your home made Christmas pudding?
    Originally posted by Anglea
    I think travel mugs are designed to keep drinks hot, not spill proof. You can get spill proof ones, but the ones I saw were expensive. I totally sympathise, as I have spilt mine everywhere.

Pudding was nice, but Iím the only ones who eats it.
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Hi Anglea great to see you posting.

I'm sure the chocolate block was hotel chocolat that I bought from the local garden centre. They have an award winning restaurant,farm shop and a loyalty card scheme where the more you spend the more you get on your money off coupon. Even if you don't spend you still get a £1 voucher and coupons for offers on food, free drinks.They always do a fantastic Christmas display and section so DD and I always go up for a look, free cuppa and that's when I found the chocolate.
    The relatives I dodged and stayed longer at best friend's house. Turned out(which I didn't know) that they wanted to stay until after midnight and then drive to catch the ferry. would have left my house in a state aswell. DM was more than happy to have them as it meant a house full and company for her. She even stayed up with them which I couldn't have done.
    Prague better than last year. Usual gingerbread but a challenge to get a giant bauble back that DD wanted as a present. We managed to do it!
    My poor turkey was nearly a gonna!!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Just a quickie from me.

My local Sainsburys had some items reduced for their sale that would make good xmas present (all half price)
    Slipper boots £4
    Woolly gloves £4
    Socks with penguins etc
    Pjs

I didn!!!8217;t buy anything - I bought the slipper boots in the sale a few years ago and they were well received, but I didn!!!8217;t know who I could give them to this year.
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    I have written down a list of !!!8216;what I have learned!!!8217; from previous christmasses to help keep me prepared, which I thought I would share:

- ensure I have enough Christmas !!!8216;store cupboard!!!8217; items like sticky tape, wrapping paper, gift bags.

- check items are in working order when they are purchased. This includes anything that is delicate.

- keep receipts in a safe place in case the item is reduced after Xmas - return and repurchase at the lower price.

- check the children!!!8217;s items in advance for instructions and batteries so that they can be prepared in advance.

- practical items for the children are handy, even if they don see them as !!!8216;presents!!!8217; - water bottles, blankets, umbrellas, lunch boxes etc.

- sort out January birthday along with Christmas stuff (I have a few birthdays in early january and I!!!8217;m so behind)

- buy the children!!!8217;s christmas cards for their class early and ensure they arent being written the day before they break up from school.

- remember where presents are hidden

- put some of the stocking fillers under tree as extra presents.

- start stocking up on Xmas food along with the weekly food shop
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie I definitely agree with your last post.

For me
    *remembering where presents are hidden and having enough sellotape are high on my list.

*the stocking up on Christmas food with the weekly shop has worked really well for me this year. I didn't go overboard but have plenty in lasting me so saving monies on the grocery bill.

*keep everything logged down.....it's the only way I can do it and feel in control. It's almost like a bullet journal the way I do it. I keep a log of what I have spent and monies saved...keeps me accountable plus I can check that I am not repeating a present for the person from previous years

*preparing for DD birthday in Feb as I am preparing for Christmas.......problem is now DD is older it is becoming increasingly difficult. Presents bought for Christmas now tend to be practical ones to last DD all year so birthday is becoming a nightmare and involving money. So i'm trying to make sure that I've budgeted to give money for DD birthday without leaving me short with Christmas aswell

*keep buying paper in the sales. The packs I buy have a plain metallic roll in them......handy for birthdays.

*keep sending the presents and cards I need to send early December. It was a nightmare when I kept having to go to the post office for DD when I had done all my postings

*jot down in journal if I hear of any wants/ needs useful for present ideas. DM declared this year that she is completely fed up of being bought pyjamas and she is snowed under with them. Relieved that I didn't buy her pyjamas!!

can't think of anything else for now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter