Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    • 2,098Posts
    • 11,032Thanks
    chanie
    2017 - Spend less, live more
    • 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    2017 - Spend less, live more 22nd Dec 16 at 7:56 AM
    This is a new spending diary for 2017 for me.

I have an overdraft of a couple of thousand, which I want to reduce in 2017. Now that both children are at school, we have a bit more money to play with.

Life is just so expensive and it feels like we are constantly spending, what with family birthdays, home repairs and spending on the children.

Last year, I aimed to save 500 on purchases through 'clever' shopping - using discount codes, freebies, sales etc. I managed to save 620.46 - I have nearly 70 in cashback which I haven't included in this figure. This year, I aim to save 800.

I've started my 2017 diary early, as I was paid early this month.
    Here is what I have saved so far:
    Body shop - saved 20 40% off my normal skincare, plus a free body butter (which will be gifted at some point)
    Cinema - saved 9.58 on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.
    Last edited by chanie; 22-12-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
Page 13
    • chanie
    • By chanie 23rd Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    Your poor nephew, sugar. I hope he finds something soon.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 24th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Thanks Chanie, we are all hoping that he finds employment soon. He is looking into other careers as he has not been able to secure another management post.

Even when you are well qualified, have the relevant experience, it is not easy to get another job. My daughter has 2 Zero hours contracts and she is on the books for 2 agencies that recruit waiting staff for events and yet she is still not getting many hours of work each week. It is frustrating considering her qualifications and experience. She simply could not get a permanent job, so this is what she has done to have some kind of employment.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 29th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    I will be in the same position in a few months time! EEK!

I had a treat day last week, which involved a day of shopping and a nice lunch. I bought a few nice new things, but they were planned purchases, so I know I will get good use out of them.

Some other saves:

4 saved on some slides for the children from Sports Direct. They can wear them on holiday and around the house.

4 saves on some deodorant from Home Bargains - I bought extra to keep me going for a while.

2.50 saved on some YS chicken today. I will cook it today and we can have it for dinner tomorrow.

Today, I saved OH 1.80 on a birthday card for a family member. I normally stock up on in Card Factory, but I have run low. OH bought a card today for 3, but we found a card in shop next door for 1.20, so I insisted that we refund the more expensive one!
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 30th Apr 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Well done on your savings Chanie. You are really getting into the habit of trying to save money on your purchases and you are influencing your husband as well
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    I did a big ebay order recently, including:

Some party decorations for DS first holy communion. I bought mainly neutral decorations so that they can be reused for DD in a few years time. If I was going to be really frugal, I would put them away for DS confirmation in 5-6 years time.

I also ordered DS a suit from eBay to wear to his fist holy communion. Its brand new, but half the price of Next. Its s gamble, as I havent seen the quality of it, but he will probably only wear once or twice, so It just needs to last for a few occasions.

Some Xmas presents, including a blanket with sleeves and a travel pillow, all at bargain prices and lower than the rrp.

A bath bomb. Wanted to try a new company as they are cheaper than Lush.
    Last edited by chanie; 03-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    DS first holy communion

It is next week and we have lots of family coming over after Church, which means I will have to do some food. We will have about 12 adults and 6 children, so we are trying to keep control of costs.

Suit - DS suit arrived and it looks very nice on him. Thanks to sugar I am loving eBay at the moment.

Food - we have decided to do pulled pork in the slow cooker, as it will be easy to prepare in advance. We already have stuff in the cupboards we can use like rice, pasta and salad. MIL is going away for a few days, so gave us some stuff from her fridge, which we can use. I may do some baking as well.

Drinks will be soft drinks, but maybe a couple of bottles of wine and some beers.

I am going to Home Bargains this week, so i will pick up extras from there.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th May 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, your whole family must be looking forward to your son's first holy communion as it is such a special occasion for all of you

It must have been a relief when the suit arrived from eBay and it was a good fit on your son and looked good on him

I am sure that you will keep a good eye on the food and drink costs and not allow yourself to go outside of your personal budget for both
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie

It must have been a relief when the suit arrived from eBay and it was a good fit on your son and looked good on him
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

It was a relief when it arrived. Someone hacked my ebay account and changed the contact details, so I didn't know it had arrived. IT was only when I tried to log into my account to chase up the suit that I realise it had been hacked. Ebay were really good and it was sorted out quickly. Luckily, nothing else had been done to my account.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    Finally booked our summer holiday, much later than normal, but that was because we were supposed to have a family holiday, but that fell through. We are going to Spain for a week, self catering. We prefer to go self catering as we think the food is nicer at restaurants, plus we can prepare light snacks for the children in our accommodation.

I am now starting to stockpile stuff for our holiday. I already have two small tubes of toothpaste which the children were given at their last dentist appointment. I also have a bottle of sun cream left over from last year too.

I bought a bikini from eBay, which arrived today. I found a brand which sells cup size bikinis for well endowed ladies cheaply. The one I bought was under 20, so it was a great bargain.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 12th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Thank goodness eBay was so quick in resolving the issue.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    DS first holy communion was yesterday and Im pleased to say that it all went well.

We prepared most of the food the night before, so the day itself wasn't too stressful. We did pulled pork, chicken, rice, chicken and potatoes. Pudding was chocolate brownies and fruit salad (fruit was yellow sticker in Tescos!).
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th May 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I am glad that everything went well with your son's first holy communion.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 21st May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    Just checking, in. I dont have much to update, but I hope you are all okay.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 31st May 18, 8:28 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    update

My car died on me last week. I was planning to replace it in a few months, but I guess that decision is out of my hands now. We are coping with only one car, for now, but having two makes life so much easier - both me and OH work full time, so are short of time as it is.

When OH got back from work, I used his car to complete a few errands.
    Sainsbury!!!8217;s - picked up my online order from last weeks 25% off clothing event. I bought a khaki utility jacket for myself, plus some undies for the children, saving 20
    Greetings card - I volunteered to sort out some thank you cards for 6 people. The cards in Sainsbury!!!8217;s were 2 each, so I drove to Card Factory and got them for 60p each. I also picked up some Fathers Day cards for OH.

I am in the process of negotiating my exit from work, in such a way that I can keep my redundancy pay, as I will need to leave work before my redundancy date. I think they will be okay, but I need the official agreement, from the Boss, but he is on holiday.

I am planning on taking a weeks annual leave before I start my new job and want to have some nice things planned, like a spa day and maybe an activity of sorts (theatre, exhibition etc).
    I want to treat myself to some jewellery with my redundancy money. I dont know what, but I would like something to remind me of my organisation, as I was there over 10 years. The last two years were horrible and I guess I want something to remind me of surviving that and coming out stronger.
    I am also finalising my new work wardrobe. So far, I have
    2 skirts
    2 dresses
    1 pair of ankle grazer trousers
    1 cardigan

I need to buy a pair of shoes, a couple of pairs of black trousers, and half a dozen tops. This job is a new start for me and a new wardrobe will help me look and feel the part. Other than the tops, I know the shoes and trousers I want.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 1st Jun 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, I hope your exit from your current employment goes smoothly.

It is a great idea to have a week's holiday before the start of your new employment and to plan some specific treats for you to enjoy in that week

I hope you find the right piece of jewellery.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 1st Jun 18, 1:33 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,770 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Sorry to hear your car died, hope you manage to sort a new one.

Good luck with the job, hope it works out.xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was 10,000 now 5000/borrowed 5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. 5000/0
    • chanie
    • By chanie 1st Jun 18, 3:38 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    Good news, work have agreed I can leave early and keep my redundancy pay.

We want to save most of the money, but will use some to do some work in the house ( we will pay for building work, but will decorate ourselves), pay down our overdrafts, new car for me, plus some treats for us all.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 2nd Jun 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    I bought a new (to me) car today and it was cheaper than our budget. I should be picking it up sometime this week.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 3rd Jun 18, 12:28 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    How exciting for you that you have found yourself a 'new' car today. You must be really looking forward to be driving your own car again rather than sharing a car with your husband
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Jun 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    chanie
    10saved on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.

43 saved on some children!!!8217;s clothing from Gap. I bought the clothes in the next size up.

13 saved on some jeggings from Uniqlo.

20saved on some clothing from Sainsburys in the recent 25% offclothing event.
    Spend less - 1348.05
    Live more - 2032.75
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,045Users online

Martin's Twitter