Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    • 2,154Posts
    • 11,367Thanks
    chanie
    2017 - Spend less, live more
    • 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    2017 - Spend less, live more 22nd Dec 16 at 7:56 AM
    This is a new spending diary for 2017 for me.

I have an overdraft of a couple of thousand, which I want to reduce in 2017. Now that both children are at school, we have a bit more money to play with.

Life is just so expensive and it feels like we are constantly spending, what with family birthdays, home repairs and spending on the children.

Last year, I aimed to save £500 on purchases through 'clever' shopping - using discount codes, freebies, sales etc. I managed to save £620.46 - I have nearly £70 in cashback which I haven't included in this figure. This year, I aim to save £800.

I've started my 2017 diary early, as I was paid early this month.
    Here is what I have saved so far:
    Body shop - saved £20 40% off my normal skincare, plus a free body butter (which will be gifted at some point)
    Cinema - saved £9.58 on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.
    Last edited by chanie; 22-12-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
Page 12
    • chanie
    • By chanie 24th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie

I'm almost ashamed to mention this as I know not buying any would be the best value of the lot but.....Sainsbury's have 25% off wine at the moment.
    Originally posted by maman
    Thanks for the tip.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 25th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    I!!!8217;ve had a rushed Sunday and I can!!!8217;t wait to get to sleep.
    The clocks went forward so we lost an hour, but I had to get to church early for Sunday School. Then, we had a family party on the other side of London and the traffic meant it took ages to get there and back. I wanted to do some fabbing before we left, but I didn!!!8217;t have the time.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 26th Mar 18, 6:53 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning Chanie,
    I know what you mean about the clocks, I felt like I was playing catch up all day yesterday.

xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • maman
    • By maman 26th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    Morning Chanie,
    I know what you mean about the clocks, I felt like I was playing catch up all day yesterday.

xx
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid

I found it very difficult to wake up this morning. Now I realise why!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 27th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    £16.45 saved on a couple of t shirts from GAP. I always see if they have any decent t-shirts for DS in the sale. They are nice thick cotton and wash well.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 28th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie that was a great saving on those Gap t-shirts.

I remember years ago when you could get Gap t-shirts from a stall down East Lane Market and I was so glad to see them so cheap that I bought every available colour for my younger son and my grandson at the time and they were excellent quality.

It is a shame that I can not find bargains like that no more in East Lane Market. I do not really bother to go there any more, as the there are too much fake brands and poor quality fruit and vegetables being sold there now
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    It's a shame sugarbaby but markets seem to be really polarised these days. There are the ones you describe and then the Farmers' markets which can be very expensive and sometimes pretentious too.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Mar 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    Chanie that was a great saving on those Gap t-shirts.

I remember years ago when you could get Gap t-shirts from a stall down East Lane Market and I was so glad to see them so cheap that I bought every available colour for my younger son and my grandson at the time and they were excellent quality.

It is a shame that I can not find bargains like that no more in East Lane Market. I do not really bother to go there any more, as the there are too much fake brands and poor quality fruit and vegetables being sold there now
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

is that East Street market you are referring to. My MIL goes to a market on East Street and I'm wondering if its the same one.

I agree with maman a lot of them have gone down hill in recent years, but I guess you can buy a lot of that type of stuff online now, so you don't really need to go to a market anymore. I remember years ago going to Brick Lane and there seemed to be loads of hipters sitting on the floor, looking slightly spaced out with a blanket in front of them, selling some tat. Kind of reminded me of the song Common People by Blur.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 28th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman, South London has so many Farmer's Markets with exceptional quality food, fruit and vegetables but the prices are prohibitive

Chanie, yes same market, those of us who grew up with the market have always called it East Lane Market and most of the time you would just say you were going down 'The Lane'
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie

Chanie, yes same market, those of us who grew up with the market have always called it East Lane Market and most of the time you would just say you were going down 'The Lane'
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Aaahhhh, I see. Iíve never been, myself. I used to go to Dagenham Sunday market. I havenít been in years. Iíd like to check it out, but suspect Iíll be disappointed.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 30th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    savings

£10 on a groupon voucher, which cost £10, but worth £20. I bought OH a hoodie, which was in offer (£20 off in addition).

£14 saved in the Sainsburys clothing sale. I bought vests and socks for the children in the next size up, which I will put away until September. I also bought a dressing up outfit for my niece as a present for December.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 31st Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Great savings Chanie
    • chanie
    • By chanie 1st Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    The recent discussions about markets resulted in a trip to Dagenham market today. I havent been for years and as I was in the area, I did a quick detour.

I had the children with me, so I couldnt spend too long browsing as they have a low boredom thresholds. I bought a couple of pillows as we need to replace ours - there were loads of people walking around with packs of pillows, so I thought I should join in.

The clothes and shoes were awful, from what I could see. Lots of poorly made items in man made materials. But I am happy to have a look for hidden gems.

I think another trip is in order, when I can browse at my leisure.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    My Next order arrived and I saved £35Most of what I bought for the children was in the next size up, as I shop ahead to take advantage of offers.

I took sugars tip and bought an M&S bra from eBay, which was BNWT and I saved £8. I have never done this before, so I thought I would give it a go. By the time postage was taken into account, the bra was the same price as the M&S sale, but it means I wont have to wait for the sale if I need to stock up. Since Xmas, i have bought about 6 new bras, spending under £50. As an f-cup, decent bras aren!!!8217;t cheap, so I am pleased.

I have a busy day today. I have to drop the car off at the garage and have a long journey home, as there is no direct route home from the garage. I have lots of cleaning and tidying to do at home, so I should crack on.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Apr 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Good savings Chanie

How did the journey home on public transport with your children go?
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar the children enjoyed the public transport - it was just long enough for them to enjoy before not too long that they got bored. We had to detour as they wanted to go on the tram, but was covered by the hopper fare.

I saved £5.75 on a chicken and some veg from the Co-op, with a use by date of today. I was going to buy a chicken anyway, so I am pleased I got it for such a bargain price.

Yesterday, we popped to the Chinese Supermarket and stocked up on noodles and other goodies to give ourselves a bit of variety. Our freezer is packed out so we have agreed resist the temptation to do a mid week top up and eat out of the freezer instead.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 8th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    All sounding good Chanie. x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Well done on the food bargains Chanie and also with all of the house fabbing
    • chanie
    • By chanie 21st Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    I saved £15in the toys r us clearance. There was barely anything left, but I bought a present for DS friends birthday party and a small toy for DD (some items for her dolls house). There was only a tiny section of the store with stock in it. I feel sad for the staff who are loosing their jobs.
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 22nd Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie it is sad that so many thousands of Toys R Us employees are losing their jobs.

One of my nephews is a manager with Maplin so he is losing his job. He has a 'wife' and 3 sons and a mortgage on his home which he only bought last year, so he is so stressed. He has been trying for 5 months and he has not been successful in finding new employment.

So much for the British economy being on the upturn.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,435Users online

Martin's Twitter