Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    • 2,028Posts
    • 10,561Thanks
    chanie
    2017 - Spend less, live more
    • 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    2017 - Spend less, live more 22nd Dec 16 at 7:56 AM
    This is a new spending diary for 2017 for me.

I have an overdraft of a couple of thousand, which I want to reduce in 2017. Now that both children are at school, we have a bit more money to play with.

Life is just so expensive and it feels like we are constantly spending, what with family birthdays, home repairs and spending on the children.

Last year, I aimed to save £500 on purchases through 'clever' shopping - using discount codes, freebies, sales etc. I managed to save £620.46 - I have nearly £70 in cashback which I haven't included in this figure. This year, I aim to save £800.

I've started my 2017 diary early, as I was paid early this month.
    Here is what I have saved so far:
    Body shop - saved £20 40% off my normal skincare, plus a free body butter (which will be gifted at some point)
    Cinema - saved £9.58 on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.
    Last edited by chanie; 22-12-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
Page 11
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie

I do not like the quality of the materials used for H & M clothing, so I do not shop there and you are right about their sizing being very small. Glad you got a discount on your purchases and free delivery.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    I know what you mean, sugar. They do some cotton summer dresses for girls, which I like. They are £3 a pop, so I always get DD a few every summer.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, those summer dresses from H & M sound like a real bargain.
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 10th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Just thought i'd say hi.
    I REALLY love your spend less live more ethos. buying quality over quantity and only things that bring you joy. what a way to really live. I am trying to adopt this myself. being totally concious of myself and my life rather than what i think i should be doing.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    Thanks for popping by starmummy

Having children is expensive, but i try to focus on stretching the pennies as much as possible.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 13th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    I have taken to my bed, as we are in the middle of a power cut. We have no lights or heating, although luckily, we have gas for the hob. The children are playing on their tablets, but we have no WiFi, so they are not impressed.

This is about the 4th powecut we have had in two months. I called up the national grid and they said that all of the power cuts were unconnected, but I said that in the 10 years we have llived here, we have never had one before so there must be a problem somewhere. It!!!8217;s always our road that seems to be affected.

I suppose, the only positive is that we will be saving on electricity costs.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, I am very surprised that you and your family have been experiencing power cuts. It must be so annoying.

Are you getting any information from your Energy company about the power cuts? Are you warned that the power cuts will be happening?

I hope that is an end of them for you all now though.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 18th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    frugal update

DD had a birthday party this weekend and I regifted a duplicate gift that DD had been given as part of the present. I managed to wrap the present without DD seeing, otherwise she would have kicked off.

I also darned some school trousers of DS which had developed a small hole in the knees. I can barely sew, but the trousers are dark, so my attempt is passable.

Me and OH ordered picked up our new wardrobes from IKEA on Friday. OH used his works van, which saved us delivery charges. It will be so great to finally be able to hang up our clothes and get our bedroom back to order.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 20th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Well done Chanie, you saved yourself money in different ways, just by thinking things through

I do lots of sewing to save me having to pay for minor repairs or alterations at the dry cleaners, that would be costly. I can not darn though.

I hope you are enjoying your new wardrobes
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    Well done Chanie, you saved yourself money in different ways, just by thinking things through

I do lots of sewing to save me having to pay for minor repairs or alterations at the dry cleaners, that would be costly. I can not darn though.

I hope you are enjoying your new wardrobes

Same here sugarbaby. My mother was very 'handy with a needle' and it's something I grew up with. I remember years ago when DD1 was a bridesmaid for a cousin. The dresses came with unfinished hems and the shop wanted a ridiculous figure to take them up. Of course it made sense for them to be unfinished but, to me, it was a hidden rip off added to an already expensive dress. I did it myself on principle.

It would have to be a very complex piece of alteration for me not to tackle it myself.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 20th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    My sewing is horrendous, I just try and do what I can to patch up the item. After Easter, the children will be in their final term of school, so I want their uniform to last until the summer. It usually does, but only just.

Maman I don!!!8217;t blame you for finishing the hems on your bridesmaid dresses. I would love to be able to sew and do basic alterations, but I never had the opportunity to learn. I am 5ft, so alterations are very much needed! I buy lots of my trousers from Uniqlo because they do free or cheap alterations.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 21st Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman,

I was taught to sew, crochet, knit and embroider when I was a child and they are not skills that leave you. We also had a Singer sewing machine to use in the home, as my Mum liked to sew. I could make a dress from a shop bought pattern when I was a teenager, but I doubt I could now.

It is a real shame that these skills are no longer taught in schools as they are invaluable skills and save so much money.

I remember when I too was asked by one of my older sisters to hem some of her bridesmaids dresses. I had the neatest, almost invisible stitches, so I was left to do quite a few hems.

I also worked part time in a hat factory here in London when I was about 17, as all you needed to work there were good needle skills. One of my sisters was working there at the time, so she asked her boss if he would be willing to let me work there at weekends and in the holidays and he said yes after I did an unpaid trial.

When I was married, I shortened all of my husbands trousers that needed it, as the prices being quoted in dry cleaners was ridiculous. I had to be more careful and very meticulous when I was altering a pair of suit trousers.

Oh dear Chanie, you must be a lot younger than me, but you could still learn to sew now
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    That's interesting sugarbaby although I've never mastered crochet. I could never get the tension right.

When my DDs were younger I used to make a lot of their dresses and quite a few skirts and things for myself but these days it's more the odd repair or hem or a crafty project. I embroidered some gift bags for friends at Christmas so that they could use them afterwards to hold Scrabble tiles.

Sadly schools are forced down the road of 'hard' subjects that count for league tables so there's little room in a packed curriculum for much in the way of sewing or cooking.

Not that it was all rosy back in the day. When I was at school we seemed to spend more time scrubbing down work surfaces and copying out the recipes than cooking things and I remember when I was about 13 having to hand sew a baby's romper that was so big and baggy that we used to put them on ourselves and fool around!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 22nd Mar 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman,

I really did lots of cooking at Secondary school for 5 years. I was learning new cooking skills all the time. Each week I had the results of my cooking to bring home. We also had to learn about laying a table correctly and flower arranging. You also learnt about kitchen hygiene and the importance of cleaning your work station as you go. I was always a neat person, but some of my friends were so messy.

For my Housecraft CSE practical exam, I had to cook a 3 course dinner for 4 people, lay the table for 4 and arrange a bouquet of flowers all with the examiner watching and marking you. This astonished my children when I told them.

I have never cooked as much from scratch since, apart from during my marriage.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 23rd Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    Popped to town today, to return a damaged item for OH. I also had to pay our penny jar into the childrens bank accounts. As I was walking through Debenhams, I got chatting to one of the SAs, as I clearly looked dodgy the way I was clutching my heavy bag. I told her it was savings and she said that she does the same for her nephew. She then gave me a perfume sample. When I got to the bank, I discovered they have a coin machine which sorts the money for you, meaning OH didn!!!8217;t need to spend all that time counting and bagging it up!

Saved £19 on undies from the M&S whilst in town. My bras desperately needed replacing and I have been picking up new ones in the sales. I found one today for £8 reduced from £20.

I was sent a next VIP online slot for the sale, but managed to bag a relatively early one -I normally get late ones and this means that most things are gone. As I got an early one, I managed to order a few items for the children.
    Last edited by chanie; 23-03-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 24th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie,

You got some great bargains in the M & S and the Next sales.

I get all my daughter's M & S bras from eBay as they cost so much less than buying the same bras direct from M & S. For example the last one I bought from eBay only cost £3.99
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 24th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 20,578 Thanks
    sashybo
    Well done on the undies & clothes for the kids, I need to start planning ahead with DS's clothes so that I can take advantage of the sales.

Good idea about eb*y for bras sugar the bras I like are generally £20 full price so I had a look & they're selling new for at least half that & some are even less. Just need to wait for my size & preferred colours. I bought quite a few when I re-sized & have discovered some styles feel/fit better than others so would like to get rid of the uncomfortable ones or ones that don't sit right & replace with ones that will definitely be used.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,467 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,166
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1095, Car loans £22,226.11

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • maman
    • By maman 24th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    I keep forgetting to browse eBay. I remember when you got those thermal tops sugarbaby. They were excellent value and so versatile. You must have had a premonition of all the snow to come!

I'm almost ashamed to mention this as I know not buying any would be the best value of the lot but.....Sainsbury's have 25% off wine at the moment.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 24th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman, nothing to be ashamed of in sharing offers that are available. Tesco have the same offer of 25% off on wine if your buying 6 or more bottles
    • chanie
    • By chanie 24th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    Chanie,

You got some great bargains in the M & S and the Next sales.

I get all my daughter's M & S bras from eBay as they cost so much less than buying the same bras direct from M & S. For example the last one I bought from eBay only cost £3.99
    You have such good ideas and are saving me a fortune. I have just had a look on ebay for bras and am pleasantly surprise. Most of the. M&S bras are similar prices to the ones on sale, but itís good to know i can get bras outside of the sale.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 24th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    Well done on the undies & clothes for the kids, I need to start planning ahead with DS's clothes so that I can take advantage of the sales.
    Originally posted by sashybo
    Buying a couple of items regularly adds up really quickly. I always make a point of looking when Iím out and about and I take advantage of sales.

Next - I used to go to the sale at 5am, but i canít be bothered any more, so I pay full price. I do like next clothing for children.

Sainsburyís - The 25% off events normally coincide with school holidays, so I stock up on socks and undies.

Gap - I normally have a wander towards the end of the sale and buy DS tshirts for under £5.

Debenhams - have some nice brands. I wait until they have 25% off type offers.

H & m - I donít really like their clothes, but I like the boys jogging bottoms and girls cotton summer dresses. The clothing comes up small though.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter