Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    • 1,978Posts
    • 10,212Thanks
    chanie
    2017 - Spend less, live more
    • 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    2017 - Spend less, live more 22nd Dec 16 at 7:56 AM
    This is a new spending diary for 2017 for me.

I have an overdraft of a couple of thousand, which I want to reduce in 2017. Now that both children are at school, we have a bit more money to play with.

Life is just so expensive and it feels like we are constantly spending, what with family birthdays, home repairs and spending on the children.

Last year, I aimed to save 500 on purchases through 'clever' shopping - using discount codes, freebies, sales etc. I managed to save 620.46 - I have nearly 70 in cashback which I haven't included in this figure. This year, I aim to save 800.

I've started my 2017 diary early, as I was paid early this month.
    Here is what I have saved so far:
    Body shop - saved 20 40% off my normal skincare, plus a free body butter (which will be gifted at some point)
    Cinema - saved 9.58 on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.
    Last edited by chanie; 22-12-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
Page 10
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie,

I agree that contrary to popular belief, London is not an expensive place to live if you open your eyes to all of the free events on offer every day and the discounted deals on offer. We also have really inexpensive public transport thanks to the hopper fare on buses and trams.

Thank you for mentioning CSSC. Once I know what income I have to live on then I will definitely love to be a member if you would not mind linking me to your membership when the time comes, as I am not employed as a civil servant and am unlikely to be in the future.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 20,383 Thanks
    sashybo
    Chanie we're only ever in London as tourists or passing through on our way to somewhere else (usually the outlaws) so we always see the high prices. It's probably true of everywhere that there are cheaper places if you know where to go.

The public transport is definitely much better than anywhere else in the UK too, there just hasn't been as much investment elsewhere, TfL seem to know what they're doing & plan ahead unlike others TOCs & transport operators.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - 10,247 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off 50,755
    Loan 2574.30, CC 0% BT 1245, Car loans 22,803.50

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    sashy TFL arent brilliant, its just that in London there are alternative transport options eg other tube lines or busses for when things go wrong.

Sugar if you want details about Cssc, let me know.

Today was a big spend day. It was DNs birthday and so me and Dsis took the children to soft play. I ended up spending nearly 50 and Im still horrified. I made a couple of amatuer mistakes which I dont normally make. Firstly, we went at lunchtime and I should have fed the children before we went, but I was rushing to met Dsis on time. Secondly, I should have bought the children;s water bottles - you arent supposed to bring your own, but plenty of people do. These mistakes meant I had to buy food and drink whilst there.

I told Dsis that because I have access to lots of cheap or free trips, Im not used to paying so much for so little return. We have done trips to the zoo and beach amusement parks for the same price as soft play. The children enjoyed themselves which was the main thing. I will make sure i am prepared if we go again.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, I know how you feel, as I like most people occasionally do things that cost me more than if I had planned ahead. Your children and your niece had a good time and that is what really counts.

When I go to the cinema or the theatre, I always take a bottle of water from home. There is no way I am going to pay for a bottle of water in a theatre or a cinema, when I buy 12 bottles of water for only 2 in my grocery shop. Most theatres have a bag check but I am not being asked to get rid of my bottle of water. Even when I went to the 02 where they do more rigorous bag checks. I was asked to bin my bottle of water, but then the security man changed his mind and let me keep it. I was really grateful for his kindness and his willingness to turn a blind eye.

I am spending the weekend in Birmingham with my sisters, so I will end up spending a lot. I did a much smaller weekly grocery shop, so that money and more will be spent on my trip.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 17,786 Posts
    • 106,540 Thanks
    maman
    sashy TFL arent brilliant, its just that in London there are alternative transport options eg other tube lines or busses for when things go wrong.
    Originally posted by chanie

I think one of the advantages of TfL is that it's almost 24/7. At least it is in the more central parts that I visit. I'm fortunate that I live on bus routes that serve the university and the bus companies have cottoned on to the fact that students like to go out at night and at weekends! Other services seem to stop or become very infrequent soon after teatime and on Sundays.

I told Dsis that because I have access to lots of cheap or free trips, Im not used to paying so much for so little return. We have done trips to the zoo and beach amusement parks for the same price as soft play. The children enjoyed themselves which was the main thing. I will make sure i am prepared if we go again.
    Originally posted by chanie

I don't mind paying for something that I think is value for money and gives me pleasure but I hate paying for something I can do just as easily myself. A bottle of water would definitely come into that category. Personally I'm happy with tap water.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie

I don't mind paying for something that I think is value for money and gives me pleasure but I hate paying for something I can do just as easily myself. A bottle of water would definitely come into that category. Personally I'm happy with tap water.
    Originally posted by maman

I agree. We normally take a packed lunch on our trips out as we've found that amusement park type food is often over priced and not very nice - we'd much rather save our money and go to a restaurant at another time.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman,

My body can not take tap water, so I drink bottled water all the time at home and when I am out.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    Frugal stuff

41 saved on a trip to Eltham Palace with my English Heritage membership. We had to pay 1 for an activity but received a prize worth 3 per child. The children have forgotten about their prize so Ill Put it aside for a charity donation.

We took a packed lunch today and I made some sausage rolls. Dsis was impressed with them, until I told her that the pastry was shop bought.

7.53 saved in the Sainsburys 25% off clothing. I bought the children some underwear and socks. Ill buy some more at the next event.
    Last edited by chanie; 18-02-2018 at 7:10 PM.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 17th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    17.10 Saved today on a restaurant meal with a tastecard (241 on all courses) - a belated Valentines Day meal for me and OH.

2.25 Saved on some more underwear for DS is the Sainsburys 25% off clothing
    Last edited by chanie; 18-02-2018 at 7:09 PM.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 19th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Great Savings Chanie on your family day out and on the items you bought
    • chanie
    • By chanie 26th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    A Sugarbaby inspired saving

I needed a new spring jacket and I've been browsing on line, with the intention of buying one over the next few months. I'd seen one I liked online in Debenhams and inspired by Sugar I checked Ebay and found the jacket, brand new but 50 cheaper, so I snapped it up.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 27th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    What a great saving on the jacket you bought Chanie
    • chanie
    • By chanie 27th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    What a great saving on the jacket you bought Chanie
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

Thanks to you!!!!

I would never have thought to check Ebay, but you get so many bargains from there, I decided to have a look.

I found 1 on the street yesterday morning.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 28th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, your luck is in at the moment. I was saying to my children that I never seem to find roadkill any more and there you are finding a pound, after getting such a good price on the jacket from eBay.

I bought an Elemis set for my sister M's birthday from eBay, but the seller is snowed in, so there is a delay in her posting it to me.

There is not much that you can not find for sale on eBay and if you have time on your side and do not need to buy in a hurry, then you will always get items at real bargain prices.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    I bought a few presents recently for December (I wont use the c word). Gifts include some stocking fillers for the children, a woolly hat, neck warmer and a valet tray.

Today, we popped to town as OH had found a bargain toy he wanted to buy for DN for his birthday. I am actually impressed with OH, as the toy was a good find. We will be buying 4 of these toys for other children in the family and will be saving 60.

The children are back at school tomorrow. Practically all trace of snow has disappeared, I still cantt believe that London practically came to a standstill due to a few inches of snow.

What is everyone doing for Mother;s Day?
    Im wondering what to get my Mum. She normally tells me not to bother getting her anything and to save my money. I may get her a Groupon experience as she likes stuff like that. Have no idea what to get MIL, so I will need to think about that.
    Today in town, I showed OH the pjs I wanted for Mothers Day and he bought them as we were there. Im not really one for surprises as I know my own tastes and prefer to choose items myself.
    Last edited by chanie; 04-03-2018 at 9:43 PM.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 20,383 Thanks
    sashybo
    Good plan on the presents chanie, I already have some too but will probably use them for birthdays throughout the year as we have 4 nieces, 2 nephews & buy for some friends' kids too.

My MIL suggested we stop buying for the kids after they turn 16 (which I probably will for friends kids) but I'd feel a bit mean doing that for family as the only one old enough for that is my older nephew who will be 17 this year. I wouldn't want to be buying for his little brother & sisters but not him, especially as they all have birthdays within 4 weeks of each other.

I find spreading it out through the year & buying in the sales means it's not too bad. I'm the boring aunt that tends to buy clothes & books though. Sometimes they get toiletry sets when they get a bit older.

My MIL is getting a selection of toiletries I think she might like & not necessarily buy for herself, like a sheet face mask etc. I had no idea what to get her, usually we go with a gift card but I always feel it's a bit impersonal. I think the Groupon idea is a good one for your mum, maybe you could get a lunch or dinner one & go together? I need to do this with my mum at some point, I know she would appreciate it.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - 10,247 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off 50,755
    Loan 2574.30, CC 0% BT 1245, Car loans 22,803.50

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    I find it difficult choosing presents for MIL. She isnt into toiletries, make up, clothes or spas (any generic gift for women). We also have very different tastes and shop differently so I struggle to understand what she likes.

Its a difficult one with regards to DNs and gifts. We have 7 between us and I will probably always buy for them, if I can afford to. Maybe you could say that you are only going to buy token gifts when they turn 18 or even 21.
    Last edited by chanie; 05-03-2018 at 8:09 PM.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 5th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie,

I will be having a lovely relaxing day for Mother's Day. I do not intend to do any cooking on that day. I may go to the cinema, but I do not want to go to a restaurant as they are usually too busy

I have lots of gifts in my home to choose from to give my elder daughter a present for her Mother's Day. I will have to get it wrapped and posted in the next couple of days, so that I can send it 2nd Class postage and ensure it arrives in plenty of time.

Like you Chanie, I prefer to choose my own presents if my children or family bother to give me the choice. I end up having presents that I will really appreciate and use

My younger son allowed me to choose my Mother's Day presents from him, so I have a Groupon for Fancy Funkin Chicken. I will enjoy going there again on my own for another delicious meal next week. I will also be buying myself 2 new books from a Poundland. He could only afford a budget of 10 for my presents, but it was more than enough for me to have exactly what I want for my Mother's Day presents from him.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar your plans for Mothers Day sounds perfect. Me and OH are thinking of taking the children to a Chinese buffet on Mothers Day. We normally avoid going out on event days for the same reason as you, but we have wanted to take the children there for a while now.
    Your DS sounds like an absolute sweetie with his presents for you.

I saved 5 on a H & M order for the children and they also offered free delivery. I dont normally like the clothes in H & M, but I managed to get a few nice bits. H & M childrens clothing has strange sizing going on. My children are on the smaller side, but the clothes are tiny, even in them.
    Last edited by chanie; 06-03-2018 at 8:59 PM.
    Spend less - 410.63
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, my son is glad that I was happy with a 10 budget and I am getting exactly what I want with it.

I do not like the quality of the materials used for H & M clothing, so I do not shop there and you are right about their sizing being very small. Glad you got a discount on your purchases and free delivery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,832Posts Today

8,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin