Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 20th Dec 16, 8:14 AM
    • 2,043Posts
    • 2,352Thanks
    Wyndham
    Preventing landlord access
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:14 AM
    Preventing landlord access 20th Dec 16 at 8:14 AM
    Morning!

New rental, and various issues, including a landlord who seems to think he can come and go as he pleases. I seem to remember that someone on here linked to a gadget which you can put on the door without screws, but which stops access unless you have a key? Anyone know what I'm talking about and can send me a link?

There is a chain on the inside, which is always on when I'm in.

Thanks all
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 20th Dec 16, 8:28 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:28 AM
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:28 AM
    Why waste any money at all on a item of prevention when a simple letting him know that he should do things the correct way and inform you with notice should he wish to come to the property, If you believe that will fall on deaf ears then simply print the correct legislation out for him when you tell him.
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 20th Dec 16, 8:32 AM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Wyndham
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:32 AM
    Why waste any money at all on a item of prevention when a simple letting him know that he should do things the correct way and inform you with notice should he wish to come to the property, If you believe that will fall on deaf ears then simply print the correct legislation out for him when you tell him.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    Yes, I've tried that. And then after that he took something he shouldn't. While I hesitate to use the work 'theft' (I think it was an honest mistake, and it is resolved), I'm just not taking this anymore.

I'm a woman by myself, he's a young man. My next step is to either find a quick and dirty solution, or to call the police. I'd rather do the former if I can.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 20th Dec 16, 8:32 AM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 5,572 Thanks
    always_sunny
    is that changing the lock?
    How often is often and does he give you the required warning?
    EU expat working in London
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 20th Dec 16, 8:34 AM
    • 13,161 Posts
    • 18,973 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:34 AM
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:34 AM
    Just to be clear you are a tenant rather than a lodger and this isn't a HMO you are living in, is that correct?

After speaking with your landlord and reminding him that he cannot just wander into your home whenever the fancy takes him if he still continues to do so change the barrel of the lock. That's a quick solution as it only take 5 minutes.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 20th Dec 16, 8:35 AM
    • 11,063 Posts
    • 12,752 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:35 AM
    • 20th Dec 16, 8:35 AM
    Yes, I've tried that. And then after that he took something he shouldn't. While I hesitate to use the work 'theft' (I think it was an honest mistake, and it is resolved), I'm just not taking this anymore.

I'm a woman by myself, he's a young man. My next step is to either find a quick and dirty solution, or to call the police. I'd rather do the former if I can.
    Originally posted by Wyndham
    Unless the lock is a fancy-dan electronic one you should simply be able to change the barrel (which gets you new keys) for about 20. Plenty of videos on youtube, failing that maybe 75 for a locksmith to do it. Replace the barrel when you move out.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 20th Dec 16, 9:32 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 20th Dec 16, 9:32 AM
    • 20th Dec 16, 9:32 AM
    Change locks, write to landlord asking for 24 hrs notice.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 20th Dec 16, 10:03 AM
    • 9,846 Posts
    • 13,358 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 20th Dec 16, 10:03 AM
    • 20th Dec 16, 10:03 AM
    Indeed: Simple write (yes, WRITE! - keep copy) to landlord mentioning "quiet enjoyment" and you do not permit any visits by him without your prior, written, agreement - which that letter does not give.

Expect an s21 notice when he can.

Alternatively get a "shed alarm" eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motion-Sensor-Alarm-Garage-Remote/dp/B0038MJG9I
    & mention to neighbours that you are worried about break-ins and would they please 'phone Police if they hear alarm going off.

Some people might leave a pile of 20 notes out (take photos..) - it's so hard to remember, was it 200 or 660??
    • G_M
    • By G_M 20th Dec 16, 11:48 AM
    • 45,578 Posts
    • 54,816 Thanks
    G_M
    • 20th Dec 16, 11:48 AM
    • 20th Dec 16, 11:48 AM
    Just to be clear you are a tenant rather than a lodger and this isn't a HMO you are living in, is that correct?
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    This is important.Please answer both questions.

Then IF appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAo7zSN-9o
    • chipolatta
    • By chipolatta 10th Oct 18, 4:52 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chipolatta
    He shouldnt have such free acess to your place!
    If you are worried about it when you are in (I think so as you made it clear that you are a lass and he is a man), then a wedge is better than a chain, dirt cheap, non damaging, and he'll have to virtually break his door or hinges to get in!
    Old post mind, sorry.
    Last edited by chipolatta; 10-10-2018 at 4:55 AM. Reason: old post
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 18, 5:31 AM
    • 45,578 Posts
    • 54,816 Thanks
    G_M
    chipolatta - you are resurrecting a 2-year-old thread. I suspect Wyndham has resolved the problem or indeed moved home by now!
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 10th Oct 18, 7:29 AM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Wyndham
    chipolatta - you are resurrecting a 2-year-old thread. I suspect Wyndham has resolved the problem or indeed moved home by now!
    Originally posted by G_M
    Yes, I have! In the end I decided I wasn't going to pay him a penny more rent than I had to, and found another place at the end of the six months. I don't even live in that one anymore!
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 10th Oct 18, 7:46 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    I wish they would change 'tenant' to customer, then tenants might be treated differently. Landlord could be changed to 'house provider' or something similar (like energy provider, mortgage provider etc). Landlord and tenant sounds too much like something off a Catherine Cookson film.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 5,039 Thanks
    Comms69
    I wish they would change 'tenant' to customer, then tenants might be treated differently. Landlord could be changed to 'house provider' or something similar (like energy provider, mortgage provider etc). Landlord and tenant sounds too much like something off a Catherine Cookson film.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead

Does labelling really mean so much?

I mean this was a simple change the locks scenario
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 18, 12:05 PM
    • 45,578 Posts
    • 54,816 Thanks
    G_M
    Oh for the days of 'Rising Damp'!!!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 9,306 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Yes, I have! In the end I decided I wasn't going to pay him a penny more rent than I had to, and found another place at the end of the six months. I don't even live in that one anymore!
    Originally posted by Wyndham
    Did you change the locks in the end? Hope your new landlord is more professional!
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 12th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 2,253 Thanks
    Autumnella
    I had similar issues with my previous landlord (Not HMO or lodger) behaving inappropriately. Alarm bells should have rang when I met him at the house to get the keys and he said he would have to meet my (preschool) children sometime since they were going to be living in his house.

During the year I rented the property he would knock on without notice at 8 o clock at night when I was in my pj's to check if the gardening needed doing (we had an agreement where I paid him to do it), then never came back to do it. He let himself into the house while I was out and without letting me know he was coming after contractors had been to check the work and also accessed other parts of the house such as my bedroom which didn't need to be accessed for the work that had been completed. One morning I woke up to a private facebook message from him at 3am on a Saturday, he wasn't on my friends list or anything so must have searched for me. Told me once he drove into the street (dead end so couldn't have been passing) sometimes just to check on things and would see my children playing with their friends.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 12th Oct 18, 9:28 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    I do think landlords sometimes think they are better than the tenants, which is really bizarre when most businesses bend over backwards to serve their customers.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Oct 18, 9:44 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I do think landlords sometimes think they are better than the tenants, which is really bizarre when most businesses bend over backwards to serve their customers.

Not all landlords think like this. Many of us regard tenants as our customers. You only ever hear about the ones who don't. Tenants who are happy with their homes don't post on lots of forums complaining about them or their landlords.
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 13th Oct 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Wyndham
    Can't quite believe so many people are continuing to comment on my two year old thread!

In the end, I had another chat with him, and he agreed not to go in without permission, and did stick to that for the rest of the tenancy. Looking back, I think he was a genuinely nice bloke, just out of his depth as a landlord. I later found out he was an accidental landlord. If he'd just had a few days void between tenancies, he could have sorted everything out before I moved in, but I moved in the day after the previous tenant had vacated, which I think is why I had quite so many issues.

All of these issues, took a lot of time and inconvenience, so I asked him for some money because of that. In the end he gave me 100 plus some costs (parking - at city centre rates) that I'd had to pay out for. I wasn't bothered about the money, more about making the point, and I gave the whole amount, including the costs, to Shelter, as I know that there are people out there in a much worse situation.

I'd like to think that I made him a better landlord, but I'm not sure in the end if I did!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin