Flush by 30?

Comments

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    baaluo wrote: »
    I personally don't have high hopes for 2017 considering brexit, trump and the current situation of the world.

Well, when you put it like that... However, I have known since I was 11 years old and had a mega-schoolgirl-crush on my Year 6 teacher that 2017 was going to be My Year (she was 27, I'll be 27... oh, I know, it's daft) so I'm really hoping that 2016 was a blip!

Thank you ramblehan, they're mainly teenagers - I left home at 16 so I know what it feels like to be poor and worried about where you'll sleep that night, so I don't want other young people to feel the same. And they all have to undergo a Police Check before they're allowed to come to my house, so I feel pretty safe. They're a really good charity to work with. I might consider becoming a foster carer when I'm a bit older, so it's good experience.

:)
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• JWPopps
    Cheeseface wrote: »
    The plan looks good.

Do you think that you can get your household expenses down at all?

Hi Cheeseface :)

In answer to your question... abso-bloody-lutely. Part of the reason my food bill is so high is because my mum loves buying food, and then she says 'oh, can I just ask you for £30 to pay for half the unnecessary shopping I did this week?' (or words to that effect) and I sort of sigh and give it to her. But we've had A Conversation recently about how we don't need to buy so much, and about how she should be saving for her own place and I should be paying off my debts, and also we're both big fatties so less money on food is an absolute must.

She's agreed we can start menu planning. I fast 2 days a week so those days are dead cheap and I'm going to challenge myself to make those 2 days a week NSDs as well, AND I want to go meat-free 2 different days a week as well, so all of that should help.

As for other bills, I'm paying £30 a month for a gym I haven't used since my hours went up at work (with my commute included I'm away from the town I live in 12 hours a day, so honestly no time for it) so that's getting cancelled next month. My phone is due for a renewal in March so I'm going sim-only, and I'm doing a review of my broadband provider/home insurance etc in the next month...

...so hopefully once I'm properly organised, I'll be much better off! :beer:

• JWPopps
    I am really lucky to work somewhere that shuts down completely over Christmas. I had a half-day booked for tomorrow as well so my boss told me not to bother coming in at all as we'll all get sent home at about 12 anyway.

I'm on my own in the office today - and it really is an exercise in Just Being Here because none of our customers want our services at this time of year. I've answered a few e-mails, proof-read a few documents and drank about a litre of Lemsip Max... and I have the Kinks blaring out of my PC speakers so that's quite nice :j

Honestly, I could nip off home and no one would notice... but I'm staying until about 2 as approved, then going to have a coffee with a friend. I'll probably end up paying for hers as well because she's having a much rougher time than me financially right now, but we'll both be on black filter coffees so they're hardly bank-breaking.

Also, SO proud of myself that I marched straight past the Cornish Pasty Bakery this morning even though it smelled amazing and I really wanted a sausage roll. I had 2 boiled eggs when I got to work (another bonus of having the office to myself, I don't feel guilty for the smell!) and then I had a nice salad at lunch, and a Double Decker as a treat (from home).

I had a NSD yesterday because I was fasting, so actually I'm feeling pretty good about my spending this week. And I get paid tomorrow woohoo! I'm owed £50 in expenses but it looks like I'll be waiting until end of Jan for that.

I've made some goals for 2017:

- Pay off my Barclaycard at the end of January.
    - Pay the balance of my 0% card by the end of April
    - April-September pay off £200 a month extra to my loan, which should make a massive difference to what I'm owed there

I'm not panicking about savings at the moment, but I want to pay £5 a month each into two accounts, just to see the figures go up. I'll barely notice £10 a month off my salary, and although it's hardly anything in terms of an emergency fund, it will be nice to have something - it will be £120 by next Christmas, so even if I just used it to pay for presents that would be a huge benefit!

Anyway, off to do a teeny bit more work before packing up now... :cool:

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Great goals for next year. Hope you have a great break.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • JWPopps
    So... after our conversation the other week, 8 got home yesterday to discover my mother had been out and spent £160 on food.

There are TWO of us for Christmas. TWO.

There are 9 kinds of cheese in the fridge. There's a plastic crate full of stuff we wouldn't normally eat, like Pringles and Twiglets and Ritz crackers and Dairy Milk.

Why does she do this?! I'm going away for a week over New Year as well; there is literally no reason to have bought so much food!! And although she hasn't asked me to pay for any of it of course I will need to, because this is the conversation we have nearly every time she goes 'food shopping':

Mum: can you just send me £50 across to cover your half of the shopping?
    Me: well I can, but is it ok if we look through what we have now and don't do any more shopping this month since £50 is more than I would have budgeted?
    Mum: good idea.

Two weeks later

Mum: can I just have £50 to cover some of the shopping I did today?
    Me *with a brick in my stomach thinking about my overdraft*: I thought we weren't doing any more shopping this month, there was still loads in the freezer...
    Mum: well I can't afford to pay for it all.

And it's HARD because I work in a different town to the one I live in, so I'm never home by the time she gets it into her head to go shopping, and also this is such a nice problem to have really isn't it? Someone doing my shopping for me... but I really don't know how to handle it!

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Could you try at beginning of month pop some money in a jar (both of you) and say this is ALL the money for food this month so can you spread it out and only spend this? Possibly seeing the money in there upfront might help your mum stick to that amount and feel less able to ask you for £50 all the time?
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • JWPopps
    I'm going to have to try something like that jvr.

The reason she lives with me at the moment is that she is in the throes of a DMP and can't really afford the deposit on a place of her own at the moment (she has recently relocated from elsewhere in the UK to be closer to me and her mum). She knows she's terrible with money to a certain extent: she's been giving me money every month to put in one of my savings accounts so she can't spend it. On 2 occasions she has insisted I give her the money so she can go on holiday but we have finally managed to get her savings to £1000. In another 3 or 4 months she should have enough for a bond and first months' rent.

She doesn't actually agree that she spends too much on food though. We get paid about a week apart usually and I always try to go shopping with her to rein her in a bit, but she gets bored so easily. We did meal plan for a bit but that fell by the wayside because she didn't like it. I've introduced her to Jack Monroe's cookbooks and Allegra McEvedy's Economy Gastronomy, but she doesn't like to feel she's 'economising'.

So, the Christmas thing is that she keeps thinking to herself 'oh it's Christmas.' But actually, we don't need party platters and cheese boards and posh sticky toffee puddings... I would far rather have made a dessert anyway but now there's no need for that.

The whole situation is really emotionally charged. She can be quite passive aggressive if she thinks I'm doing something she doesn't like (for example my choice of wallpaper in my bedroom). And when I've tried to explain to her before how her own grocery blowouts affect my budget she gets very upset (like actually crying upset) and reminds me how hard it is for her to be living with her daughter at her age, and how she just wants to have nice things.

I have two options: put up with it until May when she's due to move out, and try to moan less, or wait for January to really kick her up the bum. She got paid a week early in December, so on top of everything else she has a loooooooong month now until payday again.

I have a budget of £120 for my grocery shopping, maybe I should give that to her when i get paid and tell her that's for all the groceries... I'll really have to have a think.

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It does sound really difficult. Almost as if all her emotions about her situation become attached to this which can make it very difficult to have a reasonable conversation. I would try hand over your total budget if she does all the shopping and maybe that will make it clear what your budget is? Or if she is so bad with money give half and say that is it until whatever date and on that date I can give you this much but that is it?
    I hope you can find a solution that works... may is a long way away and it would feel worse I am sure if bitterness built up as a result
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • JWPopps
    That's really lovely and helpful, thank you SO much!!

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree that I sounds a very difficult situation. I wonder if a Pre paid credit card would be an idea? You could charge it up each month and when it's gone it's gone.
    But it sounds to me like your Mum needs counselling about how she is using buying to help with difficult emotions. Im concerned that if she leaves yours and carries on the way she is her situation could become worse again.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport