Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 13th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 329Posts
    • 1,744Thanks
    JWPopps
    Flush by 30?
    • 13th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Flush by 30? 13th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello!

I'm fairly new to MSE and have become totally obsessed with reading everyone else's diaries, so I thought I'd do one of my own! Even if no one else ever reads it, I'm hoping it will be somewhere I can rant my rants and think my thoughts without a) boring my friends and family and b) embarrassing myself in front of friends and family!

I'm 26 (27 in March) and have had a bit of a slog to get to where I am today which I will likely go into later... basically, money has always been something other people have. So, while my debts might not seem huge, making the payments every month is stopping me from really appreciating how far I've come and how nice it is to be earning a relatively good wage.

The above paragraph sounds a bit up myself, actually. Oh well!

Debts:
    Barclaycard: 1465.49 (19%)
    Sainsburys card: 75 (0%)
    Barclayloan: 6,673.36 (4.9%)
    Overdraft: 485.09 (I get charges as well but not sure of the %)
    Mortgage: 88,163.97 (34 years left on it, at 3.99%)

I'm not stressing about getting my mortgage paid off at the moment; it would be nice to be debt free and have a nice emergency fund, and maybe even a fun fund, and to be making mortgage overpayments.

Total debt I'm worried about then: 8,698.94

Goals for 2017:
    Pay off Barclaycard and close
    Get Sainsbury's card to 0 every month (i.e. use only for groceries)
    Pay off overdraft
    Get loan down to 3,500
    Start an Emergency Fund
    Start a Fun Fund
    Start making mortgage OPs
    Chill the heck out about my finances for the first time in 11 years!!
Page 15
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 22nd Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 41,430 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    All sounding very manic in your world JWP, hopefully calm will be resumed soon. I can't believe what you have to put up with at work and with the placements. You're doing this charity a huge favour and they should be more supportive.

Glad you're back on the dating wagon. Hope the catch up with the primary school friend goes well. Promise I won't start looking at hats again
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 11th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello!

The last few weeks and months have been really strange and somewhat stressful, all of which came to a head over the weekend as my stepmother passed away on Sunday morning.

I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment, not out of grief as my stepmother and I had a relationship that was more friendly than loving, but I need to support my dad and I'm really not sure how at the moment. This could well be something that means I sell my house to move closer to him, which in turn will impact my charity work.

As I'm sure you can imagine, dating, dieting and debts are 3 things I've focused on much less recently. I'm not sure if this diary will be an appropriate thread for me until I know what's happening with my job and my dad, but in case I do vanish for a time properly I want to say the biggest thank you to everyone who's followed and commented - your support has meant an awful lot to me.
    Mortgage: 86,182.17
    Credit Card Debt: 1,702.42
    Loan Debt: 5,306.47
    Savings: 600.00

• scoobysnax40
    • By scoobysnax40 11th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    scoobysnax40
    Hi JWPopps,

I joined MSE a few weeks ago and have been reading through some of the diaries since. I've enjoyed seeing that I'm not the only person in this boat and I find it encouraging that we are all on the same page.

I'm not much of a commenter so far but wanted to offer my sincere condolences on your stepmum's passing. I know that you need to be there for your dad during this difficult time and that taking a break from the diary is necessary to do that. I am subscribed so I do hope to see you back again.

Good luck with the debt busting in the meantime.
    Scooby
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 13,263 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi JW - good to see you back

I'm so very sorry to hear the sad news of your stepmother and hope your poor dad is coping under the circumstances. I know you will be there for him all the way as you are such a good, kind girl

It's still early days yet to be thinking of making drastic choices like moving - let things settle first. It's understandable that you've other things on your mind than debt busting etc but you can still post on your diary here if you need to record your feelings. We'll all be here to listen and offer help if we can.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 24/09/2018: 1361.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 31
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 41,430 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear about your stepmum. I echo what SSG says - you need to let the dust settle before you make any drastic decisions. I'm sure you will find a way to support your dad without compromising your own life. Remember you are important too xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 24th May 18, 12:46 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hi guys -

I'm Starting Over: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74322367#post74322367

Ta
    Mortgage: 86,182.17
    Credit Card Debt: 1,702.42
    Loan Debt: 5,306.47
    Savings: 600.00

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,474Users online

Martin's Twitter