Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 13th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 329Posts
    • 1,738Thanks
    JWPopps
    Flush by 30?
    • 13th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Flush by 30? 13th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello!

I'm fairly new to MSE and have become totally obsessed with reading everyone else's diaries, so I thought I'd do one of my own! Even if no one else ever reads it, I'm hoping it will be somewhere I can rant my rants and think my thoughts without a) boring my friends and family and b) embarrassing myself in front of friends and family!

I'm 26 (27 in March) and have had a bit of a slog to get to where I am today which I will likely go into later... basically, money has always been something other people have. So, while my debts might not seem huge, making the payments every month is stopping me from really appreciating how far I've come and how nice it is to be earning a relatively good wage.

The above paragraph sounds a bit up myself, actually. Oh well!

Debts:
    Barclaycard: £1465.49 (19%)
    Sainsburys card: £75 (0%)
    Barclayloan: £6,673.36 (4.9%)
    Overdraft: £485.09 (I get charges as well but not sure of the %)
    Mortgage: £88,163.97 (34 years left on it, at 3.99%)

I'm not stressing about getting my mortgage paid off at the moment; it would be nice to be debt free and have a nice emergency fund, and maybe even a fun fund, and to be making mortgage overpayments.

Total debt I'm worried about then: £8,698.94

Goals for 2017:
    Pay off Barclaycard and close
    Get Sainsbury's card to 0 every month (i.e. use only for groceries)
    Pay off overdraft
    Get loan down to £3,500
    Start an Emergency Fund
    Start a Fun Fund
    Start making mortgage OPs
    Chill the heck out about my finances for the first time in 11 years!!
Page 14
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 10th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Ha!

Don't get excited guys, we've only been on 3 dates... he lives a 2 hour drive from me, but he has a 4 year old with his ex and they live not far from me at all so he's in the area a lot as it is.

I'm not rushing into anything, you can be sure of that!!
    Mortgage: £86,182.17
    Credit Card Debt: £1,702.42
    Loan Debt: £5,306.47
    Savings: £600.00

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    It’s nice that you’ve found someone though - hope all goes well. You’ve got oodles of time to get to know one another.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 12th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello everyone!

Super quick round-up of the week!

I'm going to have to go to the GP I think; I've woken up every morning this week groggy, headachey and generally under the weather and then I spend all day sort of woozy and unfocused. It gets better by about 2pm, and I'm going to bed at 10 at the latest but still, same thing every morning. Not sure what it could be but I don't love it!!

I'm getting paid from the charity on Monday, which will mean I can CLEAR my credit card!! That's an exciting and yet thoroughly bizarre feeling... maybe 2018 really will be the year of the massive debt overpayments I hoped 2017 would be?!

Also - the dating game... this guy seems to *really* like me, but I have some defences in place given I really haven't been separated from my ex all that long. I'm a little unsettled too by a man who is so open about his intention to see me and to do nice things for me (he already wants us to plan our first weekend away together for some time next month). Don't get me wrong, I like him as much as I think it's possible to like someone you don't know very well but I definitely feel like we're both driving the car but only I have access to the brakes haha!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Fantastic news on the credit card!. I’m sure 2018 will be a good year finance wise for you JW.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling poorly and I hope the strange feelings have calmed down. Best get yourself off to the doctor though.

Re your new guy - I think you’re being sensible in taking things slowly as it hasn’t been that long since you’ve been out of a long relationship. He obviously likes you a lot and if he is divorced he has had more time on the singles front and may now be looking for a more lasting relationship so appears to be rushing along.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 38,581 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hope you get yourself sorted health wise.

Good news on the credit card

You're just not used to a man who is so keen, sounds like he's the sort to respect your wishes and take it slow though. I hope it works out for you, he sounds very promising
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 17th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello all,

I had a migraine on Saturday and ever since have felt much perkier, so I wonder if my exhaustion was a lead up to that?

Credit card sorted!! All paid off!! It's SUCH a good feeling, and I MUST get round to updating my signature to reflect it

Charity news: I've spoken to the charity and we have agreed that my 2nd placement will not be staying long term... work is very busy at the moment (this time of year up until May always is) so there will be a lot of nights I'm not home until 7 or 8, and obviously there's the added pressure when there are TWO vulnerable teens in my house if I have to go away for work or anything... which is looking like a more likely proposition given we're opening an office in London.

However - I've said (just between me and the charity) that I will keep Lodger 2 if the alternative proposed by social services would be inappropriate (for example: a homeless shelter). But we're not telling social services that just yet, because they'll just stop looking for alternatives if they think I'll keep her......

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Glad to hear you’re feeling munch better JW. Migraines are very peculiar things - those strange feelings could well have been the symptoms to the actual migraine itself.

Congrats on finishing the CC.

Hope the romance is going strong!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 38,581 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great news about the credit card

Yes, how's the romance, do we need to start looking at hats
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 19th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Haha I wish it was good news on that front too!

Turns out I was right to be cautious - he was very good at saying the right words, but not so good at following through with the accompanying actions. I don't really think it was his fault, but he had a lot going on and kept forgetting to call me when he said he would, and then he cancelled a couple of dates very last minute (as in, I was already ready)...

I told him we might be better off as friends until his life settled down a bit but he didn't like that idea, kept pushing for me to trust him with things he hadn't proved he could be trusted with so in the end I cut it off... a couple of days ago.

I'm not particularly upset, I'm just rolling my eyes a lot haha!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 20th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sounds like you did the right thing JW. You’ve got plenty going on in your life right now what with your career and lodgers - you don’t need a stressful relationship as well! Plenty of time to meet someone who will be part of a meaningful relationship.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 38,581 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh well. Good that you found out now rather than further down the line.

Agree with SSG, you've got enough going on without a bloke messing you about.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Frugalsproogle
    • By Frugalsproogle 21st Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Frugalsproogle
    Hey JWPopps! I am very much a diary lurker rather than a poster but i've just read your entire diary this morning and will subscribe once i've posted this. I just want to say that i think that you are wonderful with what you are doing and completely admire the fact that you do so much with such a stressful and busy job - i also work in Careers at a University and so know how demanding and busy the peak times of year are.... never mind studying for the qualification as well.... you have such a lot on your plate! As a fellow introvert, i know just how much the job can take it out of you, never mind having to come home and support others in a very different way. I am in awe of you.
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 30th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello everyone,

Thank you SSG and SA, I think I did too. The good thing about the experience is it gave me the confidence to start dating again, so I had TWO this weekend!!

Charity Update - Social Services really did a number on me last week; they somehow got wind of the fact I was worried about Lodger 2 going homeless so they put a load of pressure on me to just keep her... and I couldn't do it (explanation below), so in the end the charity had to step in and we're making a formal complaint about that social worker because she left this poor young girl with NOWHERE to go one night, to prove I'd take her back in. And then because I did (of course), they tried to use that as a springboard for me to keep her longer term. It was a mess, but the short version is that I am now back to one placement, and I won't be doing the emergency version for a while until things calm down at work...

Work Update - the person hired to replace me while I cover my colleague's maternity leave QUIT with no notice last week, so I'm back to being the only Careers person for the whole university. And this is the worst possible time, because we're already committed to doing so many hours for various academic colleagues. It means I am getting to work at 8:20 every morning and nights like tonight I won't get finished until 7pm at the earliest. Hence not being able to do any emergency placements for the charity.

My bosses are really supportive and are urgently trying to find a short term solution but it will be like this for a couple of weeks at least, unfortunately.

SO, busy busy... hope everyone else is well!!

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 30th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hey JWPopps! I am very much a diary lurker rather than a poster but i've just read your entire diary this morning and will subscribe once i've posted this. I just want to say that i think that you are wonderful with what you are doing and completely admire the fact that you do so much with such a stressful and busy job - i also work in Careers at a University and so know how demanding and busy the peak times of year are.... never mind studying for the qualification as well.... you have such a lot on your plate! As a fellow introvert, i know just how much the job can take it out of you, never mind having to come home and support others in a very different way. I am in awe of you.
    Originally posted by Frugalsproogle

For some reason I'm struggling to reply to this properly today... but thank you!! 3rd time lucky...

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 30th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry to hear though about your pressures at work JW and your horrid working hours. It can be so draining. And I think the social worker concerned is due a BIG reprimand by her powers that be! How truly unfeeling and unprofessional to play this sneaky game. I think she has chosen the wrong career!

Well done on the dating scene though! Two dates in a weekend! You're turning into quite the player!! Ha ha!

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 5th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello everyone!

MSE update: .....yeah, it's not going great. I've lent some money to a friend (she'll definitely pay it back, she always does but still) and the girl who just moved out apparently racked up a £99 phone bill on my house phone from using it without permission, which means I'm somewhat into my overdraft.

I did some impulsive things too, like paying £85 for gig tickets for a birthday present, and £260 on taking my mum to a spa day to say well done for losing 4 stone... the intention was that the money would be paid back when I get paid by the charity but I'm now so far into my overdraft that will swallow it.

Still, it's nice to be in a situation where in less than a month I'll have that squared away again... it's just so frustrating knowing that's another month I won't be overpaying on my loan. Which is entirely my fault. No gig tickets next month!!

Dating update (because why not?):
    The two dates last weekend were hilarious, like chalk and cheese. One of them I didn't anticipate would go so well but in the end it actually did, it was really nice to chat with him. The 2nd one I thought might be interesting was just awkward (but humorously so) and we both pretty much decided by the end that we might stay friends (but of course we won't).

I might see the first one again, it's all very much 'we're both busy people, let's play it by ear' but that's actually so un-pressured that it makes him more appealing! And he has a dog. That's appealing too.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    How rotten about the phone bill JW - I do feel for you after you were so kind as to take her in.

At least you’ll have a good time at the gig and the spa day with your mum is a lovely, thoughtful idea. It’ll all work itself out next month.

All a learning curve with dates isn’t it? Anyway the first guy sounds nice. Just go with the flow.

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 20th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello!

I'm really not doing so great on the 'keeping in touch with people on MSE' front at the moment... work is still massively busy - I even got an apology from my manager that they don't think they can replace the colleague who just ditched us in it, so I'll be working solo until July. While also trying to write 3 5000 word assignments. But, it's fine, I'm about coping at the moment!!

Not sure what's happening with the phone bill at the moment. The charity are chasing social services to pay it but social services are arguing that because I have a lodger already we can't prove it was the 2nd one that racked up the bill. The charity will pay me if social services won't, but it's a poor show.

Overdraft is doing ok, all things considered.... BUT I need a new cooker. 2 of the hobs and the oven have packed in, which is annoying really. Still, I guess this is what I have an emergency fund and an upcoming birthday for??

Date-wise... didn't hear any more from the 'nice' date, but I'm ok with it because although I'd have happily seen him again there wasn't a wild spark or anything.

I did get a message on Saturday though from someone I knew 22 years ago (when I was at primary school!!!!) asking if I wanted to meet and have a catch up, so I said yes and now we're going to the coast next Sunday. Which is all very strange/lovely/confusing/interesting!

• jvr
    • By jvr 21st Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    jvr
    Hi Popps!

All caught up now... wow social services by you sound as helpful and manipulative as the ones who worked with the boy at my mums!

I think your overspends all sound like lovely things rather than just the I accidentally spend insane amounts on nothing type spends so I wouldn't worry your doing so well anyway!

Exciting about the old friend.... can't wait to hear all about it!
    Debt: £10,006 now £8698.38
    Emergency Fund: 456.17/ £1000

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 21st Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello JVR!

Yeah I'm really genuinely upset by social services, and so are the charity. It's tough because believe me I know how stretched and under-resourced they are, but even after I'd explained that I'm currently out of the hour 14-16 hours a day I just don't have the ability to support TWO vulnerable teenagers they were pushing and pushing, and doing this really horrible thing where they kept saying to the charity 'well Lodger 2 says that JWPopps said...' in hopes the charity would put pressure on me too. But they didn't, and we've put a formal complaint in.

Bought my cooker yesterday, it's coming on Saturday. That means I've had to cancel plans to see a friend but to be honest that's ok; I need to do my reading for my next assignment so Saturday is as good a day as any. Plus it's pay day tomorrow so I can have a proper look at my finances.

Hope everyone else's week is going swimmingly!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter