Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Dec 16, 6:50 PM
    • 17,123Posts
    • 10,257Thanks
    motorguy
    Cat B car back on the road and for sale?
    • 13th Dec 16, 6:50 PM
    Cat B car back on the road and for sale? 13th Dec 16 at 6:50 PM
    I'm looking at a motor trade site from one of the big dealer groups and theres an Audi for sale on there with a marker on the V5C of "Damage:Recorded against VIN and VRM, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX 2011, Category B Insurance Loss. Bodyshell Should Have Been Crushed Vehicle Should Not Be On The Road"

The car has a current MOT running to next May.

It looks like its going to go ridiculously cheap as the motor trade seem afraid of it

Retail price of the car in question is around 7000 and trade on it is around 4000. It looks like under 2K would own it.

Potential bargain or run a mile?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Page 2
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Dec 16, 1:27 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,257 Thanks
    motorguy
    [QUOTE=facade;71767885]If sewage has got into the box sections, short of stripping the bodyshell bare and immersing in a suitable disinfectant, you will never get it out.
    QUOTE]

The group selling it are hugely up front about any issues they find with the car (they funnel cars out to the trade from other dealers within their group) and they've not listed any smells present in the car.

A couple of trade men have submitted bids. Its currently sitting at 1500 with a couple of hours to go. I think it'll go for around 1500 to 1800.

I'm tempted to stick in a bid but as has been pointed out its most likely going to be a horror story to try and insure and if you did have to subsequently sell it on as salvage a 1800 "gamble" could turn in to a 300 breaker....

I suspect the trade men bidding know at worst they could use it as a runner and drive it via their trade insurance, so not such a risk for them...
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Dec 16, 1:29 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,257 Thanks
    motorguy
    Only if it was a rare model like an early Quattro?
    Originally posted by NBLondon

And this one isn't.

The only rarity factor is that its the 2.0 TFSI engine variant (the Golf GTI engine), an Avant and S Line trim.

Not in the league of a Quattro, no.....
    • JP08
    • By JP08 14th Dec 16, 1:44 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    JP08
    They even have brand new shells for an MGB.... posing the question, why? Terrible ugly car ...
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Aww, this ain't ugly : http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C816736

This is a bit, but can be sorted : http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C819141 - blame the yanks (they also had to up the ride height which had a lot to do with the handling, or was that just the Midgets ?)

Now this is ugly : http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C815305

And this is ugly : http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C813052 or http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C811057 ... but strangely I really like them for the clever bits (the doors and windows things) ... but not enough to actually own one.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Dec 16, 2:33 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    Stoke
    Didn't they put wooden blocks under the suspension to fix the ride height
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Dec 16, 2:48 PM
    • 27,443 Posts
    • 11,080 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    The V8 MG is the one to go for. Some modern springs and shocks and poly bushes (soft road ones not solid race ones) will improve matters.

As a weekend fun car they are cheap, unless like me you buy one for 600 and spend 1500 bringing it upto scratch and then sell it for 1000.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • JP08
    • By JP08 14th Dec 16, 3:05 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    JP08
    No wooden blocks, metal ones (at the front anyhow - and some longer springs).

But nothing wrong with a bit of quality carpentry under the car - ask Marcos (who did it properly, unlike Morgan who just hang bits of metal on a wood frame).

http://www.italian.sakura.ne.jp/bad_toys/plywood_monocoque/image/buildjig5.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2015/04/Plywood-and-Pluck---1965-Marcos-1800-GT/3748428.html
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Dec 16, 5:34 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,257 Thanks
    motorguy
    I missed the end of the auction because i was in a meeting. I'd estimate it made 1500-1800 based on the bidding before that.

Felt it was too much of a risk to get a new v5c in my name and to get it insured to get involved.

Thanks for all inputs here. Much appreciated
    • Motorextreme
    • By Motorextreme 9th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Motorextreme
    The Law regarding Cat B versus Opinion.
    As a motor dealer of repute with over 35 years in the business, and at the top end of the scale i say this, Joe Horner is indeed correct, the codes for Cat B are indeed voluntary between insurers, and D.V.L.A. and their is "no written law" to say a Category B vehicle cannot be returned to the road, the reason so very few actually are is because they are usually so extensively damaged and regular every day vehicles that it is simply not worth the cost or time to reinstate. However ..... in the case of say a Top of the range Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche etc: the very value of the vehicle itself may deem it to be worth repairing to the highest of standards, indeed as i write this in August 2018, a 2012 new generation Porsche 911 Carrera is being advertised on Ebay motoring for 30,000 (over half the price cheaper than a non damage example) and is Insured, Taxed, and MOT'd and being used daily .... I am always amazed at so called "online" experts who pass on heresay information without actually checking the legality of such facts, whether you agree or not is immaterial, You CAN, should you so desire return a Cat B to the road, and yes, Adrian Flux WILL i insure it, none of it will be completely straight forward as so few people really understand the law surrounding this process, but the question started out as as "Can You return a Cat B to the road " .....well the real answer if you want to be completely within the law, but outside of most people's comprehension as to why you would ? ....is a Yes.....half price Porsche anyone ?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 7,660 Posts
    • 7,023 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I missed the end of the auction because i was in a meeting. I'd estimate it made 1500-1800 based on the bidding before that.

Felt it was too much of a risk to get a new v5c in my name and to get it insured to get involved.

Thanks for all inputs here. Much appreciated
    Originally posted by motorguy

Since this has been dredged up. Any idea what happened to it?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,257 Thanks
    motorguy
    Since this has been dredged up. Any idea what happened to it?
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Yes, surprised to see it resurrected after all this time.

No, not sure. I kept an eye out for it on gumtree, autotrader, etc but it never surfaced again.

I have the reg of it somewhere from the original email alert, must look it up and see if its on the road...
    • facade
    • By facade 15th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    facade

I have the reg of it somewhere from the original email alert, must look it up and see if its on the road...
    Originally posted by motorguy

A check of the MOT history might be interesting.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 15th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,531 Thanks
    westernpromise
    As it's an Audi it's probably been crashed 5 or 6 more times by now.
    • facade
    • By facade 15th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    facade
    Originally posted by westernpromise

Audi drivers don't crash very often. They see lots of accidents though.........
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,257 Thanks
    motorguy
    A check of the MOT history might be interesting.
    Originally posted by facade
    I cant do an MOT history check because its registered here in NI.

BUT its just went through MOT on the 23rd July there and has been on the road up to that point (tax expired 31st July 18)
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,257 Thanks
    motorguy
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    Probably driven in to by a Honda driver on cruise control.

• Geodark
    • By Geodark 15th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Geodark
    You'd face three problems buying it.

The first is insuring it - Flux will consider them but options are going to be very limited unless you self-insure.

The second - and more important - is satisfying yourself that whatever repairs were needed have been done properly.

Finally, since they removed the need for VIC checks in Oct '15, you'd also need to be satisfied that it isn't a ringer. Given what proper repair of a cat B is likely to entail, poor repair or ringing are both real possibilities.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Have they really got rid of VIC? I didnt know that. In that case, as you said, surely the makes it easier to get rid of ringers?

And no, I didnt check the date on the posts and hadn't realised that it was a resurrected thread haha.
    Last edited by Geodark; 15-08-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

7Posts Today

3,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin