Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 12,444Posts
    • 78,973Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 47
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 28th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    How very rude - I'm sure your shorts were great. Perhaps she just doesn't approve of shorts at all. Glad you had a good holiday - mostly!

So it's not just me .... I soothe myself at difficult times by thinking about my next sewing project. If I am staying away somewhere and can't sleep I picture what I'll sew when I'm home. Your fabric sounds lovely, bet you can't wait.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 30th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Yes, dressmaking-in-the-mind works wonders, doesn't it? And I can always afford the most amazing fabrics in my mind too!

Right, having postponed the blue summer skirt from a couple of weeks ago, I've decided to bypass it, even thought it is still summer, and instead on Wednesday I shall be cutting out a pair of Deliberate Trousers in green cotton, to wear in summer or autumn or spring weather. That way, they'll be ready for the cooler weather when it comes, rather than finishing a summer skirt at the very end of summer.

They are Deliberate Trousers because a couple of years ago I made a divided skirt but stupidly forgot to put in the huge inverted box pleat when I chalked it out on the fabric from my diagrams, and so ended up with mid-calf length trousers with 84-inch hems on each leg...! Basically the legs are each nearly circular skirts, sewn together at the crotch...
    They were experimental anyway, but they remain the only thing I've made where total strangers come up and compliment me on what I'm wearing - twice in one day once!

So, obviously, having invented a garment that makes strangers come and compliment me, I haven't made any more...!

Until now...

So those were meant to be a divided skirt but became Accidental Trousers, these are Deliberate Trousers

Here are the Accidental Trousers. Incredibly comfortable, and very practical.

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 30th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I can!!!8217;t see a picture? I love the idea of Accidental Trousers!

Grrmph. Note to self. When inserting eight buttonholes in a dress, it!!!8217;s a good idea to do one or perhaps two and then check that they are where you want them to be. If you sew all eight, and then decide that they are about a centimetre too far from the edge of the dress, it will take a long time to unpick them. Like a whole evening. Just saying.

At least I hadn!!!8217;t cut them!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 31st Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 64,043 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly - I've learnt through past mistakes to always start at the bottom buttonhole then if it's not quite right it won't be noticeable
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 31st Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    That's a brilliant tip, thanks. I absolutely love the one-step buttonhole on my machine, so sewing them is really easy but unpicking them is a bit of a job.

I measured everything really carefully, read all the advice on button placement etc but didn't actually look at it to see if they looked right. I'm ready to sew them again today.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 31st Jul 18, 9:25 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Ah, I copied and pasted, so the pic is visible to me, but I'll try a proper insertion to see if it works for you...

Any better?

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 31st Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Anyone got any advice about putting a half- or full lining into trousers? I'm considering lining the dark green Deliberate Trousers - it's only sheeting-cotton, after all, not actually ideal but never mind, it's still a prototype, really.

Anyway, I have some black viscose lining, or some dark grey ordinary lining, you know the slightly rustly stuff?, and wondered about putting it in to about mid-thigh - maybe attaching to the side seams to anchor it?

All advice on lining trousers much appreciated! I did line my window-blind shorts, which was very straightforward but then they haven't the swirling great tons of fabric these have. But I assume I just do the same as for the shorts or for a full skirt, just cut it shorter in the leg and maybe hand-stitch it to the side-seams, or maybe just to one side-seam, to anchor it?
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 1st Aug 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Still no pic of the trousers! Sorry, lining is on my list of 'challenges' , I have yet to try it although what you're describing sounds right to me.

I've finished my dress, http://http://www.burdastyle.co.uk/product/b6760-burda-style-dresses/360694 and it's been quite a confidence booster. First time using a Burda pattern, I hardly had to make any adjustments, although this is quite a loose fitting design anyway. Maybe German women are more, ahem, traditionally built than their British and European counterparts?)

The instructions were really sparse, this would definitely not be good for a beginner. However, I realise that I know more about sewing than I have given myself credit for, I managed to get the collar right (at the fourth try!) and finish the buttons and buttonholes.

I'm not sure I learned any new techniques from this, apart from finishing my facing edge with bias binding. I am now in love with the bias binding technique, I will be using it a lot more. I thought I would try blind hemming the dress, but this was a bit of a disappointment. When the hem was straightened out the stitches seemed to me to be quite large. After playing around for a bit, I decided to just hem it by hand, which is what I usually do.

So, while I'm quite proud of myself for finishing this, and it feels really comfortable, I wore it to a friend's tonight. She went to her bedroom to show me something, and I caught sight of myself in a full-length mirror. I'm not sure the all-over floral design was a good choice for me, it looks as if I've nicked the loose covers off the sofa! Instead of the chic fitted dress that I feel as if I'm wearing, I saw a middle-aged woman in a rather frumpy and very floral dress. So, although l have enjoyed making it, I'm not sure how much I will wear it. I'm going to follow the rule of wearing it at least three times, to see if it grows on me.

Now on to the next challenge, shortening my friend's bridesmaids dress. I don't think the blind hemming is going to work, so I'll probably end up doing it by hand.
    Last edited by PollyWollyDoodle; 01-08-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 64,043 Thanks
    silvasava
    I made a 'rajah suit' many years ago of a heavily embossed metallic scratchy fabric and lined the trousers the lazy way. I cut the lining the same as the trousers and sewed it on top of the fabric as one piece. Difficult to explain - two pattern pieces sewn as one IYSWIM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 4th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Re lining trousers, I'd do what Silvasava did and just treat the lining as a shorter pair of trousers (excluding pockets etc) then just join the two at the waistband.

If the lining keeps riding up or twisting, then attach them to the outer side seam with a length of cotton, but I wouldn't bother otherwise
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Aug 18, 6:08 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    My temporary ban has finished and I have enjoyed the time away, it has broken my mse addiction and I have a new small tight group of online friends. My being has changed from stressed to very happy, content and fulfilled

I have bought a lovely new house, 5 minutes walk from everywhere, in an art nd crafty market town

I will feel cocooned and cosy, it has that clearview solution 400, underfloor heating and a very high spec of finish and appliances. The best insulation possible, even better than here.

I lose 200 sq feet. Still 4 bedrooms and one will make that perfect sewing room again but with added spinning and knitting crafts

One last thought about genes and genetics. I have 50% Polish, eastern European genes and 50% dutch and was born in the uk. My family genetic line comes straight down from 1350 and all the way it is farming, horticultural and baking. That is where I got my skills. These are my indie genes, you can combine those 2 words and create another spelling to a misused word. I live amongst people in my rural county, who have a similar line of uk genetics, running through generations, farming and baking mainly. We all knew how to live in peace and harmony with the land and its wildlife. I will say no more now, my stay with mse is over
    Last edited by kittie; 08-08-2018 at 6:14 AM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 8th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh Kittie, happy to see you back, but I wonder if you meant to post this in another thread? Please don't go, I have really valued your input into this thread in particular as well as many others.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 8th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 22,770 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Kittie, thank you for all the help you have given to people on this thread and others.It seems a shame to lose your expert advice,perhaps you will return in the future.May I wish you a happy life in your new home,it sounds ideal xx

I have been very remiss in the sewing department,Ive only made 1 top all year,and altered a dress I bought in the sale at Marks.Perhaps because the weather has been so good,and a bit too hot in the bedroom where I usually sew? I'll get back into it when cooler weather comes.Hope you are all well xx
    Last edited by RosyRed; 08-08-2018 at 3:56 PM.
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 11th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 15,153 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    I came & posted here a few months ago (last year maybe?!) when I had a flurry of returning to sewing, then my new job consumed my life and I did no more. However, life changes have been made and I am getting back into it.

I took my 13 y/o niece to a sewing workshop last week where between us we made zip-up make-up pouches, a box-shaped washbag and a tote bag. Some of these were with oilcloth which I haven!!!8217;t used before. I love these little workshops (I did a jersey one before) as they are a confidence builder and a chance to get tips & advice.

As I start a new job on Monday where I need/want to look a little more professional than leggings & long tops all the time (I could wear these but the setting means that I won;t be out of place a bit more dressed up or mistaken for a student) I want to run up some simple dresses, some in slightly more quirky fabrics too. I also figure that as the weather cools they can be layered up with thicker tights, boots, cardigans, etc. And I am going to put pockets in them all - I love pockets. I bought a McCalls pattern, 7116.
    I also have the Dottie Angel smock dress but will have a go with an old sheet first as reviews indicate it can be a bit fiddly and need adjustments.

I am about to sort my very small spare room to turn it into a sewing/craft room and study which means it should be easier to pick up & put down in short bursts. So hopefully will return here a little more often...

Love the accidental / deliberate trousers by the way !!!55357;!!!56833;
    Last edited by Squiggly Diddly; 11-08-2018 at 7:27 AM.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Aug 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'm really wishing I had a room where I could leave the machine set up, I do have a spare room but I'd need to get rid of the bed and various other items.

It's been a roller-coaster of sewing here in my kitchen, or Polly's Little Sweatshop as I was calling it when the heatwave was on. Flushed with the success of my dress, I made this cardigan https://www.sewessential.co.uk/womens-knit-cardigan-design-hacking-simplicity-pattern-8377 which was a quick and very satisfying make from a remnant of knitted fabric I bought recently. I did most of it on the overlocker which has been sewing like a dream, with no problems.
    I rethreaded it so I could shorten my friend's bridesmaid dress. Two hours later I finally discovered why the **!%$* overlocker wasn't sewing properly. (User error, needless to say).
    I managed to shorten the dress ok, a bit scary as its a proper bought frock, but my friend was happy. I was relieved I'd been able to do it on the machine and not by hand as it was 3m in circumference at the hem.
    Back on the roller coaster, and a plunge into gloom as the skirt pattern I'd bought turns out to be too small, even in the largest size.
    Found a dress pattern and decided I could use the skirt pattern, and managed to squeeze it out of a piece of slightly stretchycotton in my stash, by some ingenious placement. As I congratulated myself on my skill and started sewing ... I realised I'd cut both back pieces of the skirt the same instead of flipping it over. Gah.

The journey continues - I have learned so much from trying these new things. Think I've managed to rescue the skirt, onward and upward.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Aug 18, 8:45 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 64,043 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly it's always the same - something for yourself goes beautifully but when you do it for someone else sods law it tends to go wrong! I've done exactly the same with a pattern piece - the only consolation being you'll never do it again!
    No sewing lately - too much other stuff going on but I did buy some more filter cartridges for my steam generator. I fitted one and the iron promptly gave up the ghost. I live a a very hard water area so had a quick Google on how to descale and after 3/4 attempts it's now functioning like it used to ......phew!
    • morganlefay
    • By morganlefay 13th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    morganlefay
    sorry to interrupt...
    Sorry to butt in ...The little fabric shop in the town where I live has just suddenly and with no warning shut its doors. So although it wasnt very exciting I could always count on it for basic stuff (I sew quite a lot when there's time). Can anyone recommend an online fabric shop, mostly for fabric for ladies clothes ? There seem to be lots but can't tell which might be the good ones and which not.
    Thank you for reading...
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Welcome to join in! The wonderful Kittie swore by Croft Mills, and their stuff looks lovely but is not cheap. Another good online one is Abakhan, or if you're after something cheap-and-cheerful Fabricland is supposed to be good. I prefer to feel fabric before I buy so I haven't used any of these myself, do you have a local market? Fabric stalls on markets can be good value.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 14th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Hi Morgan, I can recommend Clothspot - especially when they sell off the remnants (a bit pricey otherwise). I have bought several pieces of fabric from them, and the width has been generous.
    • morganlefay
    • By morganlefay 15th Aug 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    morganlefay
    Thanks Ladies, helpful suggestions which I shall exxplore

(Well I imagine we're all ladies, we seamstresses, but no reason why there can't be some lads too - trying to avoid being quite so sexist !!!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,132Posts Today

6,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin