Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 12,397Posts
    • 78,289Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 45
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 14th Jun 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 20,745 Thanks
    purpleivy
    It's prom dress and wedding season at the moment and people are starting to get things in the sales. I've always found May/June busy. I took down my Google My Business ad, on which I was obliged to have an address, as I was getting people calling unannounced. This won't do, as my dd has CFS and can't be running to the door when I am out. Also I can only see one person at a time when I am fitting. I haven't noticed it any quieter without that advertising. I find I get better quality referrals from existing client base.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 14th Jun 18, 12:52 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    That reminds me PurpleIvy, I need to alter my daughter's prom dress next week. I bought her a lovely dress in the sale back in February but it needs taking in slightly at the waist and at the neck. She has a tiny waist so although the dress fitted everywhere else, she needed a little taken in, but I didn't want to do it too early in case I had to adjust again. I think that might be Monday's job just so I know it is done.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    Jul 2018 £2279.78 90.13% paid
    Emergency fund £218.57/£600
    Total Savings £2006.60
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 17th Jun 18, 10:00 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    So today I have sewn another top and trousers for my youngest daughter. I adapted the pattern I had slightly and I'm very happy with the result. I have also planned my next few sewing projects and I am trying to use up the fabric I have before buying anymore. I might have a look around the charity shops tomorrow to see if I can pick up any cheap fabric.
    Total Savings £2006.60
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 17th Jun 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 20,745 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Very wise Mum of four. Girls change shape up and down with the pressure of exams and so on.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 18th Jun 18, 6:40 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I don't have any excuses, no kids, no job, one small flat and a nice easy-going chap to look after - I'm just slow and disorganised!

But yesterday, we re-arranged the furniture in the little sitting-room, because we never actually chose where to put much of it (except my treadle sewing-machine. Mr Nice said, "in front of the window is supposed to be a good place for sewing, isn't it?" and promptly put my beloved Singer in pride of place with a view some 37 miles over the Welsh hills!).
    I now have enormous amounts of clearing to do this week, as of course there turned out to be tons of things shoved under the table and behind the bookcase and so on.

But I should end up with a much more user-friendly room in all sorts of ways. Especially sewing...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 23rd Jun 18, 9:45 AM
    • 12,397 Posts
    • 78,289 Thanks
    kittie
    LE, Ahh, that was thoughtful. I would say for those with not much time or patience, to just do one stage at a time eg I prep the pattern on one day and cut a copy, then next day I cut the fabric and so on

This spring/summer I am loving my own hm garments in preference to all the shop bought ones that I had in. Today I am wearing the first esme that I made, was supposed to be the muslin but I liked it so much that I finished it properly. The skirt is just a simple A line with a neat elastic waist. The button closures on my esme tops, I made 2, are false. First fabric was washed linen from ebay, £12.99 a metre and the second was a good quality pima cotton lawn from croft mill, the top is as light as a feather and didn`t need ironing, neither did my linen top as I put it out wet, on a hanger
    http://www.fabricgodmother.co.uk/sew-liberated-esme-top-beginner/

Both tops are so airy and lovely in the heat. I made sure that it was not too small, everywhere just floats over curves

I am going out for lunch with a dd and will be wearing the merchant mills trapeze dress, the third one I made, in a drapey fabric. I had to alter the neckline in the first one but made that a permanent adjustment to the pattern. I love these indie clothes, no-one has the same
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 24th Jun 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 20,745 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I'm away housesitting for a friend for a few days. There is a sewing machine in her guest room. I have brought some work sewing. Even done some of it! I have done some leisure sewing. Made a couple of Liberty silk bow ties for friends who invited me to their party yesterday. They were very pleased!

Went to knitting group at local shop and then going on Tuesday for a sewing class. Meeting school friend for dinner tomorrow night, so a good few days.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 24th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 24,579 Thanks
    Mirů
    Only just noticed this thread!!!

Please could I have some advice re inserting invisible zips? I have just altered a dress which was a size too big and this involved removing and re-inserting an invisible zip. I had to watch a couple of YouTube videos to see how to do it and as I don't have one of those special foot thingies for invisible zips it was a right old tussle with just an ordinary zip foot! Anyhoo, I just about managed in in the end but I would now like to get one of those special foot thingies and have looked at several on EBay but was wondering if I need to buy a particular one for my machine or will any fit? My sewing machine is an elderly but still going strong Elna. I did find one thro Google that indicated it would fit an Elna but it was priced at £35!! Some on EBay seem to only be a couple of pounds. Confused!!

Any advice would be most welcome
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Jun 18, 7:08 PM
    • 12,397 Posts
    • 78,289 Thanks
    kittie
    Miro, you need to have a good look at the way a foot attaches to your machine. All the different makes have different ways of attaching. I bought a lot of bernina feet in the past and they cost on average about £35 each. I see on google that some vintage elna feet slip on sideways and then you tighten a screw, others just press down. You should be able to compare fixings with one of your existing elna feet

Re dresses and legs, I was so aiming to go bare legged but in the end decided that it wasn`t a good look with my legs. Didn`t have any light tights but did have some never worn fine stockings in a packet and a nice suspender belt, also never worn. Needless to say that the stockings came up very high but felt secure, however if I shorten the suspender straps a lot then I will feel more secure and would wear them again, they felt a lot nicer than hot tights. Last time I wore suspenders was around 55 years ago
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 24th Jun 18, 9:52 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 20,745 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Inserting an invisible zip without the right foot is OK if you have one of the ones that mean you can sew right up to the edge of something. You need to press the tape of the zip open without melting the plastic. then sew up to the edge. If you do zips at all, it's really worth getting a foot.
    • TraySelect
    • By TraySelect 26th Jun 18, 6:21 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    TraySelect
    Kittie - just the question I was going to ask you! - how have you found the Merchant& Mills patterns [eg, Top64, Trapeze] for tops?

This weather's got me wanting tops with a sleeve [elbow length ish], boat neck or a bit of a scoop, A-line, boxy. Made with light cotton, or viscose?

But not sure which pattern to go for.

And the weather's also got me making cotton shirt wasters - they really are the coolest style, for me at any rate.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 26th Jun 18, 7:01 PM
    • 12,397 Posts
    • 78,289 Thanks
    kittie
    tog 24 is more of an autumn top and the trapeze dress is great for this weather, lets lots of air up. I am wearing esme again, perfect as it doesn`t much touch my body. Esme has elbow length and before I wash it, I wore it to the allotment to pick berries

Many of my other tops are too warm
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 26th Jun 18, 7:35 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Oooh ladies...and gents.. I need advice.
    I have bought a nice dress from m and s. Pale blue floral sort of twenties style. The thing is I find the neckline too high. I've unpicked the bias trim it has been hemmed with, its really narrow. And no I will cut down the neckline. The old bias will be too short.
    How would you go about this from here on?
    Help about cutting and finishing much appreciated.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 27th Jun 18, 8:19 AM
    • 987 Posts
    • 23,369 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Can you cut a facing from the bits you're cutting off? Otherwise use purchased bias if not, could you find a suitable contrast?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 27th Jun 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Thanks, no there was not enough from the cut out bit, I only lowered it from the shoulder seam down, the back of the neck was fine but it came round too high across my throat and too prim.
    Makes me wonder why I bought the dress! I think I fell in love with the shade of blue and the loose dropped waist and ignored its flaws.

I used narrow purchased binding and am quite pleased with how it has turned out!
    I hate facings, flappy things!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 5th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 987 Posts
    • 23,369 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Glad it worked out, Artytarty.
    I have lost my mojo a bit lately, I have a few projects in mind but none of them is very exciting (new sofa cushions ... yes, I've been posting about them for at least a year!). So obviously, the solution was to start some new projects which will join my massive collection of WIPs.

I searched Jaycotts for some possible patterns, they have a sale on at the moment, by the way. Then I signed up to Sewing Pattern Review, it's free to join and that means you can read all the reviews. This helped me narrow down my choices, and I've ordered a skirt, dress and a cardigan pattern as I really want to have another go with knits and my overlocker. And then I raided the piggy-bank and did something I've been planning to do for a while, I went to Goldhawk Road in West London. For the uninitiated, there are about a dozen fabric shops in a small stretch of road and if you Google it, you'll find quite a few sewing bloggers who've written about it.

Oh my word ... the choice was overwhelming, if you are in London or nearby then I definitely recommend a visit, not all of it is cheap and cheerful but I saw Liberty prints for £10.99/m, lots of lovely wax cotton and batik-style prints, no end of stuff for suits, coats etc (that is way out of my skills!). I bought some printed denim, although it's really just a firm cotton imho, for £6.50/m, a lot of lightweight cotton/poly was as low as £4.50/m. I know there are some bargains online but I struggle to buy fabric without actually feeling it, so this was worth it for me even adding on the Tube fare.

At the moment it's all drying on the line as I've remembered to pre-wash it, so as soon as the patterns arrive I am hoping to get started. As with my last make, I am going to take my time and do it in stages.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,630 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly - like you I've lost my mojo too - think it must be the weather
    My machine is set up with a small pile of mending/alterations to do - been there for about a week! I also need to source some furnishing fabric to re-do our headboard. Its easy to do as its the width of the bed but about 4ft high - a statement! but its getting a bit grubby where DH leans his head so time for a recover - but can I find anything I like......... will keep looking.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 12th Jul 18, 10:35 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I've not been sewing much either. I did tidy up my sewing table the other day with the intent to sew some bits, but never actually got round to it. I will be sewing tomorrow though after I have done the housework! I have some bits to make some shorts out of for my son who is currently potty training and then I have a jumpsuit to alter into a top and shorts for my daugther's friend. Then I might actually be able to sew something for me!
    Total Savings £2006.60
    • pws52
    • By pws52 13th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    pws52
    My sewing efforts seem to be revolving around repairs for others at the moment.

Three pairs of linen trousers patched between the legs where they had worn thin and about to go holey. Another summer or twoís wear!

Two tops seams restitched/repaired because of manufacturersí poor quality stitching.
    This annoys me as the linen fabric is good quality so why not charge a little bit more for better stitching. Not everyone has the skill to repair.

Came up with a solution to solve the gaping frontage on a friendís dress. She was very chuffed when it worked.

I enjoy sewing to extend the lives of stuff.
    I feel that I am doing my bit to reduce waste!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,630 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just added another 4 pairs of cut off's o the pile of alterations that hasn't been touched yet! I'm picky cos I like my cut off's just below my knee and not mid calf! Maybe I'll get round to doing them by the time this lovely weather ends lol.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

8,617Users online

Martin's Twitter