Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 12,446Posts
    • 78,958Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 43
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    yay the craftsy offer is good. I just started watching sewing mistakes, looks a good one
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    oh my goodness, for the first time I am wearing a 6 gore brown cord skirt, a fairly heavy cord and had no idea, could not remember, how well it fits and looks. I bet I made it before I was noting patterns down. It is just below the knee and I am wearing it with black tights and an hm home spun jumper. I am doing MK again today, will have to go through my wardrobe and tbh am liking most the items I made
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    Does anyone have a dressform?
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 24,004 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    It took me a while to find this thread again - like me, it's been a bit inactive! In answer to your question Kitty, yes I have a dress form. It was given to me by my sister who didn't use it. Sadly, even dialling it up to the largest size, it doesn't quite match me! I'm hoping to be able to pad it out with an old T-shirt, and use it for adjusting hems in future.

Finally, three months after I last used my sewing machine, I have got round to cutting out a project. I won some georgette type fabric in a giveaway, and I've bought New Look 6471 to make it up with. I haven't done a toile as I thought the calico I usually use would not really replicate the slippery georgette. Also it's quite a loose fitting pattern. I found the shell pattern that I adjusted to fit last year, and laid it on top to work out which size to cut.

Altogether, I am approaching this much more slowly and mindfully than usually - normally by now by now I'd have the whole thing cut out and sewn together, and probably be unpicking it because I'd gone wrong!

I decided to adopt Kittie's approach, and cut on one day and sew on another. I hope that once I get my machine out again, I'll feel inspired to get on with some of the other projects I had planned. How is everyone else doing?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Apr 18, 7:59 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I haven`t done any sewing for such a long time, really it is because I have so much in my wardrobe but I am hoping to get wear from my hm summer dresses this year. I also have a drawer full of t shirts and several loose thin overtops. Its very frustrating as it is all good and nice so I need to wear them to wear them out at least a bit

However the knickers I made are sterling and exceptionally good, the ones made from patterned t shirt fabric. They are wearing much better than sloggis. I need to stick with the pattern I used as it is perfect for me. Once all the sloggis are gone then I can see me making all my knickers, what a good saving that will be and there is nothing to stop me making pretty knicks with the stretch lace that is in my stash
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 24,004 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    It took me a while to find this thread again - like me, it's been a bit inactive! In answer to your question Kitty, yes I have a dress form. It was given to me by my sister who didn't use it. Sadly, even dialling it up to the largest size, it doesn't quite match me! I'm hoping to be able to pad it out with an old T-shirt, and use it for adjusting hems in future.

Finally, three months after I last used my sewing machine, I have got round to cutting out a project. I won some georgette type fabric in a giveaway, and I've bought New Look 6471 to make it up with. I haven't done a toile as I thought the calico I usually use would not really replicate the slippery georgette. Also it's quite a loose fitting pattern. I found the shell pattern that I adjusted to fit last year, and laid it on top to work out which size to cut.

Altogether, I am approaching this much more slowly and mindfully than usually - normally by now by now I'd have the whole thing cut out and sewn together, and probably be unpicking it because I'd gone wrong!

I decided to adopt Kittie's approach, and cut on one day and sew on another. I hope that once I get my machine out again, I'll feel inspired to get on with some of the other projects I had planned. How is everyone else doing?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Apr 18, 10:29 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    I haven`t done any sewing for such a long time, really it is because I have so much in my wardrobe but I am hoping to get wear from my hm summer dresses this year. I also have a drawer full of t shirts and several loose thin overtops. Its very frustrating as it is all good and nice so I need to wear them to wear them out at least a bit

However the knickers I made are sterling and exceptionally good, the ones made from patterned t shirt fabric. They are wearing much better than sloggis. I need to stick with the pattern I used as it is perfect for me. Once all the sloggis are gone then I can see me making all my knickers, what a good saving that will be and there is nothing to stop me making pretty knicks with the stretch lace that is in my stash
    Originally posted by kittie
    My problem has been spend so much time sewing for charity and my much loved project morsbags hasn't been much time for sewing for me. However a spring sort out of the knicker drawer tells me I need some new ones, what a tattered collection I seem to have lol. Time to sew for me I think, so I can at least fall over and not reveal tattered or holey knickers.
    Slimming World at target
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 62,651 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly - when I have something that needs more care I break it down too - cut one day, neaten edges and sew darts, do facings and press the next, assemble, zip and press the next and then any hand finish. That's the way I used to have a new dress for the weekend!
    Meg and Kittie - i need to investigate making knickers
    Sail cover nearly finished. I thought I'd try it for fit while the boat was out of the water - perfick!! I'm really pleased as the old one fastened with ties underneath the boom and I've put a zip in to make it easier. I've also been waiting for some velcro which has just arrived to fasten the front piece round the mast - when I've done that I'll take it in to my local shoemender who will put some eyelets at the stern end so it can be secured. Phew - I've battled with it but I'm so pleased with how it's turned out. I made a new tiller cover too from the offcuts and I may make a couple of stow bags too.
    DH commented that she now has matching collar & cuffs lol.
    I think my next project will be far more mundane - cushion covers for DS1
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 15th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Pollywolly, you are better starting with a too small dolly and making her bigger. Put one of your old bras on her! On the whole I don't rate ready made dummies, unless you are the same shape and size as the ones available. I can get most of my measurements e.g bust waist and hips right, but I can't move Dolly's boobs down! My shoulder to apex measurement is somewhat longer than hers, even with my bra straps hoiked up! I also can't make her narrower under the bust where I am narrowest!

If you want to do something like trim placement or faffing with shoulders, it's easier doing with it on Dolly.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • CosmicZebra
    • By CosmicZebra 15th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    CosmicZebra
    Hi quick question- can you recommend any online sites for buying fabric that aren't too expensive?
    Savings from frugal & simple living:
    Jan ISA& Save Acc £1600 Mort o/paid £250
    Feb ISA&save acc £1330.89 Mort o/paid£500
    March ISA&save ac£811.35 mort o/paid £250
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I just had an e mail for this bargain dressform. William Gee is a good retailer btw

http://www.williamgee.co.uk/shop/prym-deco-dress-form-610083/

Most forms wold need padding anyway. Mine hasn`t got any space left uncontoured and lol to get the droopiness some of us need, try some lentils in a bra
    • maryb
    • By maryb 19th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 48,349 Thanks
    maryb
    I have to lower the bust apex on every pattern. I don't think I was ever as perky as the pattern even in my 20s!!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 25th Apr 18, 6:03 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    free projects

https://www.gursewingmachines.com/blog/learn-how-to-sew-things-you-didnt-know-you-needed/?utm_source=GUR+Subscribers&utm_campaign=0a17edef5 5-SEWING-TIPS-24.4.18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cbb4194c38-0a17edef55-9318645&mc_cid=0a17edef55&mc_eid=18157c9a79

I rate this company, nothing to do with them apart from buying from them
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 27th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy

thanks for sharing Kittie, always fancied making fabric containers.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    yay. I am wearing one of my sets made last year, I made 5 tops and 5 skirts, all mix and match. They were all the same make/type of fabric ie a good linen content but some cotton so they don`t crease too much. Since I made them I lost everything on my old computer so have no bookmarked sewing file any more, I am very grateful to have recorded all my fabrics in a little book upsatairs so could find out what they are. It isn`t like looking for a label in a garment

It feels good on me, first time for wearing and yes it takes a couple of wears to get used to a hm garment

I have stayed away from sewing for quite some time, sewing faster than I can wear out. I can see that the next things to be made will be simple panties, they are are wonderful and so much better than sloggis, even the newest sloggies are getting that thin look. They are a good easy and simple money saver tbh

CZ, I did clock your post but am not the right person to ask. I have a mountain of fabric stash and all good quality, most were pretty expensive but not nearly as expensive as getting good quality ready made garments

I reckon the cheapest one I use and rate are these, always good quality. I have had fabrics from them since the 70s
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/

I was and am, addicted to good fabrics, my stash is more than twice my height
    Last edited by kittie; 19-05-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 19th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 24,004 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I've been meaning to update on here. I finished the blouse I was making, New Look 6471, but I'm not really happy with it. I took my time over it and even overlocked all the raw edges before sewing it up, but it's the pattern itself that I don't like. I wish they'd choose a photo that actually shows the garment, not the model's hair! When I finished, the neck tie left quite a wide opening, and I've had to add a popper to close it.

When I found some online reviews I noticed someone else mentioned this. It's useable, and the fabric was free so I'll mark it down to experience. Lots of sewing plans, but I've been spending all my free time in the garden of late. Glad to hear your knickers were worthwhile Kittie, that's still on my list to make.
    Last edited by PollyWollyDoodle; 19-05-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 19th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Well I haven't started sewing yet, but yesterday I got all (most?) of my personal stash of knits into one cupboard and colour coded to a degree. I have got rid of loads of patterns, saving the best to go on ebay. So then I got the three boxes and enormous bag of fabric into the space. I can now access a cupboard that was a bit difficult to get to.
    • Matt Jones
    • By Matt Jones 21st May 18, 3:20 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Matt Jones
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'm a tad stuck for ideas of where to get some helpful advice on this. I want to buy my mum a new overlocker for her birthday next month as she's been dropping some not so subtle hints about needing a new one for a while now but I'm not really sure what to get her or what represents good value for money.

I found this site which has a broad range of seemingly good overlockers which would be in my price range but not sure which of them are best. Any suggestions?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    Hi Matt, what a brilliant idea for a present. Depends on your budget of course. I rate this company a lot, they only sell good items
    https://www.gursewingmachines.com/overlockers

ring them up and have a chat, I did exactly that when I was dithering about which sewing machine to buy for a grandaughter

A controllable foot is very important, so she can go slower if needed. I know they like jaguar and I certainly like the features of jaguar, which is the make I would personally go for
    • Matt Jones
    • By Matt Jones 21st May 18, 3:52 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Matt Jones
    Thanks for the reply kittie. Will check them out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,723Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter