Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 12,156Posts
    • 76,274Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 42
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 5,173 Posts
    • 38,585 Thanks
    joedenise
    kittie - I now got a sewing room and am so pleased I have as I used to have to use the dining room table so always had to pack everything away. Now I keep all my sewing stuff in a wardrobe with 4 drawers which are stuffed with fabric!

I've also got a couple of small "chests"; one with 8 small but deep drawers and one with 3 full width drawers.

Denise
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    -taff
    If it's only for curtains, have a look in second hand or charity shops for older sewing machines, perhaps with only straight stitch. They weight a ton, but are almost indestructible, and will sew through anything. I have a BSA which actually came off a skip, and I took it to a sewing machine repair person and paid 25 to get it checked out.
    Depends on whether you want to use different stitches or can cope with an older machine like that.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 10th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 20,723 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I don't know if I'm 'lucky' as I have a dedicated sewing room, but this is because I work at home....sewing! It doesn't get used for much leisure sewing at the moment, but One Day!

Kittie, I have started to get strict about what stays and what goes. A year ago Christmas one of my customers turned up with 10 black bags of fabric for me. He had been working as a photographer taking pics for catalogues and consequently had all the stuff he was using for backgrounds. The first thing I did was put an ad on Freecycle and offered it. I had a lovely response from a lady who did am-dram costumes and sets. Twice since then I have offered her more stuff. It's great! She always turns up when she says she will! Now I'm no longer doing dressmaking for other people, just alterations and repairs, I don't need to keep as much in the way of fabric for toiles and so on. Another customer, whose job involved me purchasing rolls of calico stopped needing the job doing and he said keep the calico, so I have that too.

I have a whole page in my Bullet Journal dedicated to the list of household and domestic sewing that needs attention. One Day! I still love my job though. It allows me to work at home and give care to my elderly parents and MIL, also dd who has CFS/ME when they need it.

I have an Irish Dance dress alteration to complete and a blouse to finish for the friend I am visiting next weekend. A couple of other smaller jobs - jeans shorten and some mending for a customer.

Whatever you are sewing today, have fun and stay warm and dry!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 12,156 Posts
    • 76,274 Thanks
    kittie
    I am giving 21 patterns to the cs and will soon be adding fabric. I have unrolled two long lengths of boiled wool from germany, maroon and grey, obviously for jackets and warm tops like top 24 but as and when. They are now on hangers in the wardrobe in that room but are heavy so one at each end. Luckily store moth hangers in there, no moths here but you never know about a new house. Really I am sorting and preparing for when I do find my new home.

I gave up for lunch but tbh it really is boggling and 2 rooms are now messy, sewing and bedroom as everything is being dumped on my bed. Next job is stretch cottons and I already know that the thin ones I bought online are going to go, not even good enough for knickers. So far I am appreciating the quality and honest descriptions from croft fabrics and have mixed feelings about girlcharlee, some good fabrics and some far too thin. However I am not worrying about it, will not be buying any more for many years

I have very lovely silk fabrics, was going to make a couple of top notch nighties back in the day
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 10th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 20,723 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I too have SABLE Kittie! No need to purchase more fabric for a while at least!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 10th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've only recently taken up sewing again since my DC brought me a sewing machine for my Birthday last year, so far I have made (drum roll please)............. a pin cushion

My question is, as I live in t-shirts would it be possible to make my own? I don't have a pattern but have brought a offcut of stretchy material from fleabay and was going to cannablise(sp) one of my old t-shirts to use as a pattern. If this is too silly an idea I will try and buy a pattern, but any ideas would be most welcome. I don't like the material used today for t shirts as it's too flimsy.

Many thanks x
    Originally posted by babs 103
    I make my own t-shirts (and for my mum) and I don't even have a modern sewing machine, only a 1902 treadle Singer that only does a straight stitch!

I agree about the flimsiness of modern t-shirts but also the ubiquitous scoop or low-cut neck. I am nearly 50 and have lovely skin except for across the front of my neck/upper chest because it keeps on getting sunburnt. So I started looking for everyday t-shirts that cover that area - which they all used to do! - and found it very difficult to find nice ones.

Mine are a straight-across, "slash neck" neckline, but you could make a round neck or scoop neck easily enough. I like the slash neck as it actually means no front or back so I just grab the top and put it on
    The sleeves on mine are a simple flutter sleeve so there is no underarm seam to bother with and so no awkward tightness or pulling in odd direction but at the same time my upper arms and armpits are covered which I prefer.

I can post a clear sketch if you want, but basically I cut two identical pieces, and then it's only side-seams and shoulder-seams to sew. Using thick cotton jersey you can just leave the cut edges as they are, but I got a bit obsessed with bound hems and I really love the way just a glimpse shows sometimes of the flutter-sleeve bound on the inside with a narrow velvet ribbon!

My pattern, such as it is, started from this blog post - only mine is not drapey and has longer less fluttery sleeves!

http://www.oneaviandaemon.com/how-to-make-a-draped-t-shirt/
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 10th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've made the first start on presents for Christmas 2018 - Mum's agreed that she would like a lap-blanket for when they're sitting watching tv or doing a crossword together in the colder evenings. I made Dad a crocheted one last year, but I've suggested that when I next visit in March, she and I go and choose crushed velvet colours, and I'll do a very simple big-piece patchwork with very light wadding, backed with cotton or similar so it's not too slithery and will stay on her lap.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Feb 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 59,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    Kittie - you got me started on the kondo thread! A large bag of fabrics gone to my local hospice craft shop. Including some beautiful lengths of Thai silk and some handwoven lengths from the middle East. TBH I've kept them so long (well over 10 years) and I know I am very unlikely to ever use them so they need to goto new homes before they end up dying in storage.
    While I was having a clear out I came across a lovely remnant of black and silver brocade. I was looking to make a couple of 'posh' cushions for my bed and this will do nicely. I'm taking it as my reward for forwarding on all the other fabric!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Feb 18, 7:25 AM
    • 12,156 Posts
    • 76,274 Thanks
    kittie
    Has anyone else put their fabric samples in a notebook? I did that last year and kept notes of composition, length and width etc. Anything washable has also been washed, so I am ready to start again. Just have to do a little more sorting today, the top shelf in the small built-in wardrobe. I have some thick felts in there, good for backing items that can mark wood or to make items like hm wooden coasters heatproof
    • halogen
    • By halogen 13th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    My sewing is annoying me at the moment. I'd carefully handsewn and topstiched the 3 bits together only to discover they just don't fit into the bit they are meant to fit into. As this is the 3rd time I've had the problem with the pattern I'm thinking the problem is that the pattern just doesn't work. As its a pattern I got at a workshop last year it's not easily replaceable and I've not found an alternative on t'internet, or instructions on how to redraft the bit that doesn't fit.

So yes I'm a bit frustrated, after all that effort of clearing and cleaning the table, laying out the fabric, photocopying the pattern, laying it out, cutting, pinning. sewing.
    grr
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 59,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    How frustrating Halogen. Is there anything on utube that may give you an idea or solution? A friend of mine had a problem with a collar that wouldn't fit the neckline - all it needed was a few snips into the seam allowance of the neckline to enable it to ease! She'd struggled with it most of the morning. Funny after but not at the time. Hope you can find a solution.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • halogen
    • By halogen 13th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    bad patterns
    Alas this is off by 3-4 inches and I know it's not supposed to be eased. I'm at work so Youtube isn't an option. I'll try and redraft it again tonight.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 59,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    What a PITA Halogen - good luck!
    • halogen
    • By halogen 14th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    :-) I turned it round and it's only off by 2 inches now....might be able to bodge it as its jersey.
    Speaking of which. Laura-Elsewhere- How do you do the hems? I can manage zig-zag or 3 step zigzag but i find they are not stretchy enough for t-shirt hems which then pop stitches during wear. Would be nice to find a satisfactory home alternative to cover stitch.
    I do own an overlocker but I never use it as it's such a PITA to thread!
    Last edited by halogen; 14-02-2018 at 4:44 PM. Reason: typo central!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    halogen, tbh I usually don't bother hemming the bottom - I use fairly heavy cotton jersey and it doesn't fray.

The edges of the sleeves I just quickly handstitch bias binding onto, then turn it under and catch-stitch that down. But if you have a sewing machine that does zig-zag stitching that should work - set it for the stretchiest zig-zag possible https://www.contrado.co.uk/blog/how-to-sew-stretchy-fabric/
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 59,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    Have just 'tailored' some new boxers for DH - I got him the usual XL but he looked like Eric Morecambe in his bellclapper shorts! Just took the sideseams in on both sides so now they're a bit more fitted and I don't have a fit of the giggles!
    Still waiting to hear if my HD sewing machine can be fixed or not
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 19th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 20,723 Thanks
    purpleivy
    What a PITA Halogen - good luck!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Pain In The A.....$£

Kittie, I used to use a notebook, or photoalbum with postcards in it. Now I use an app on my *phone called Cora. You have to pay for the premium version but I've been really pleased with it.

I have been away on and off for a few days. I'm afraid I hit one of my favourite fabric shops (Fine Fabrics in Harrogate), didn't find what I 'needed', but found some other suitable items instead. One of these was a very fine jersey with white anchors and hearts on it. When I was away on my other trip at the weekend I found a scarf in cream with little navy anchors on it. Perfect!

I have also spent some time deciding what I am going to make for a few things for a trip in the autumn. I want them to go with a recycled wool coat that I have. A little capsule if you like.

I was surprised to find that the things I took with me on this week's minibreaks are almost all Me-made rather than RTW.
    - Teal long sleeved t shirst
    -black long sleeved t shirt
    -blues and greys paisley long sleeved tunic top,
    -teal and grey knit tunic top.
    -Grey 'coatigan'
    2 pr of hand knitted socks

I also took RTW black leggings, navy leggings, a navy vest top. .
    Purchased gilet/scarves
    Recycled wool coat on the uK trip, was very cold in North Yorks! Matching hand warmers
    -purchased cashmere sweater dress

Only one item went with me (on both trips) that didnt get warm, that was a spare top. It had been a dress that I got in the M&S and I altered to tunic length and added godets.

So the new group of clothes. A full week away in autumn half term in our twin town in Germany. so a few things needed. I will have RTW leggings under tunics.
    A couple of long sleeved t shirts, black one will be fine to go and probably burgundy. I have the fabric for this. Probably some more tunic tops in my TNT pattern, but need to check the size. I lost some weight last year, so some of my existing tops have been taken in.
    • nooney
    • By nooney 2nd Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    nooney
    Craftsy has free lessons for this weekend. 2nd to 4th March.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 59,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    Well my old singer has been repaired! Haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it will last me another 30 years!! One Dodger nearly made - just needs a small amount of stitching and the other to be done. Then I'll get DH to do all the metal eyelets for me. Too cold to work in the dining room at the moment but do need to get a wriggle on with them!
    • halogen
    • By halogen 2nd Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    halogen, tbh I usually don't bother hemming the bottom - I use fairly heavy cotton jersey and it doesn't fray.

The edges of the sleeves I just quickly handstitch bias binding onto, then turn it under and catch-stitch that down. But if you have a sewing machine that does zig-zag stitching that should work - set it for the stretchiest zig-zag possible https://www.contrado.co.uk/blog/how-to-sew-stretchy-fabric/
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    yeah I need to use fairly lightweight fabric- my work environment could be mistaken for a sauna most days and iIm also fairly 'heavy' on clothes and I find even stretchy zigzags pop stitches. I've taken to using wooly nylon thread on hems though and that seems better.

Plus I found instructions on how to draft from scratch my troublesome pattern and now it fits togethet. Just need to actually sew it together and see if it fits as well!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,290Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter