Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 11,824Posts
    • 73,799Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 41
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 6th Feb 18, 5:43 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 48,726 Thanks
    Prudent
    I just popped into to say hello and will subscribe to the thread. I retired a year ago and dug out my elderly sewing machine and have been enjoying making simple things mainly from fat quarters. I was in Aldi today and bought some of their cheap fat quarter bundles. I am aiming to make as many presents as possible this year. I am still very much a beginner but have joined a local sewing group on a Thursday to learn some new skills.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 6th Feb 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Oh dear! I succombed to a couple of bundles of FQ at Aldi this morning. Sooooo pretty! At least it's not food to clutter the freezer and fridge! I was good about that!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • MoneysavingmadGem
    • By MoneysavingmadGem 6th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    MoneysavingmadGem
    glad iv found this thread. I do love to sew. One of my targets this year is to create something new each month.

Jan was crocheting face scrunchies.

This month im looking to get my sewing machine back out! Loads of fabric loads of ideas but when ever I have time I cant motivate myself. So hoping reading this will help me.
    Either upcycle a mans shirt or make a couple coin purses is aim for feb.
    Crazy clothes 2018 #7 - 24.23/ 120, handmade or cs
    Pay all debt off xmas 2018 #066.(909.95/ 10565.90)
    2018 frugal living #34 (2500)
    1% a day #36 (9000)
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I actually sewed something for myself... well, not clothes this time! I had a freeby set of fabrics at the show in September, so took one (they're Fat Eighths) and made a little fabric envelope to put my tissues in in my holiday bag. I am reducing plastic, so didn't want to buy another travel pack. I can refil this one with the normal tissues from a box of tissues.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 7th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Aldi has FQs?
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 6 April 17,500.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 48,726 Thanks
    Prudent
    Aldi has FQs?
    Originally posted by tootallulah

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?text=fat%20quarters

In store only now.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 7th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Aldi has FQs?
    Originally posted by tootallulah
    Got them yesterday. Pink Peter Rabbit/Jemima, Blue and lemon,

3 other mixed packs. https://www.aldi.co.uk/spring-garden-fabric-fat-quarters/p/081426192105400

https://www.aldi.co.uk/peter-rabbit%E2%84%A2-fat-quarters-5-pack/p/081406192104200
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    made a little fabric envelope to put my tissues in in my holiday bag. I am reducing plastic, so didn't want to buy another travel pack. I can refil this one with the normal tissues from a box of tissues.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    I love that idea, I will copy, one for me and some for christmas presents, with bags
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 7th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I can tell you where I went wrong if you like!
    Before turning in the edges that will make the hole, put the right sides together and sew a seam in from each end, about 1 1/2", just so the hole isn't as big and doesn't gape! Then I turned in the front edges (left half inch for these and topstitched. Then couldn't be bothered to get the overlocker out so zigzagged on the machine.

All is not lost, will just handsew shut a little.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 19,249 Posts
    • 44,533 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I got me a shiny new sewing machine yesterday

It's so quiet and smooth compared to my clunky old thing. Can't wait to get sewing, although I don't know what to make yet. I've only just finished making cushion covers from some lovely fabric I got in the JL sale, wished I'd have waited!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Feb 18, 7:39 AM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    I am actively looking for a new home, always in my mind is space for a sewing room.
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 8th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    babs 103
    T-shirts
    I've only recently taken up sewing again since my DC brought me a sewing machine for my Birthday last year, so far I have made (drum roll please)............. a pin cushion

My question is, as I live in t-shirts would it be possible to make my own? I don't have a pattern but have brought a offcut of stretchy material from fleabay and was going to cannablise(sp) one of my old t-shirts to use as a pattern. If this is too silly an idea I will try and buy a pattern, but any ideas would be most welcome. I don't like the material used today for t shirts as it's too flimsy.

Many thanks x
    SPC #11 025
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 58,315 Thanks
    silvasava
    Babs - good idea! I've often used tops I really like as a pattern. That way you get exactly what you want.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 9th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 22,550 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Babs, I made my first t-shirt last year - I was planning to cut a pattern from an old t-shirt but i used a pattern from my Sew U Home Stretch book, however cutting round an old one should work just as well. Like you I find store t-shirts are often too thin for my liking. Read back in this thread for a link to how to attach the neck and, it worked brilliantly - as soon as I can I'm planning to make some more because it was really easy and I loved what I made. I've got plans for heavier fabric in long sleeves for winter, lighter ones for summer etc. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 9th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    babs 103
    Thanks silvasava and PollyWolly I will do x
    SPC #11 025
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    Babs - good idea! I've often used tops I really like as a pattern. That way you get exactly what you want.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    works equally well when making knickers from old t shirts, having made some last year, I much prefer them to sloggi which are factory made to get too thin to wear and then they tear
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 5,070 Posts
    • 37,989 Thanks
    joedenise
    Babs the only thing I would say is that using an old t-shirt for a pattern is a good idea but don't forget to add a seam allowance when cutting!

I made a skirt once using an old one I liked and fitted well and then didn't leave enough seam allowance so too small once made (wouldn't have been as bad if I'd pinned and tried on first as then I could have just made the seam smaller!)

Denise
    • chika
    • By chika 9th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    chika
    Hello everyone. I!!!8217;ve just moved into a new home and need curtains. I!!!8217;m ok at sewing, but have no machine at the moment. Can anyone recommend a decent machine that can do curtains and hobby sewing? Has anyone used the one they sell in Aldi? They had one for 99 which I was tempted by, but I don!!!8217;t know if it!!!8217;s better to get a branded used one. Any help gratefully received. Thanks
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 9th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Lots of people will tell you that they got an Aldi/Lidl/IKEA/Cheap machine and it's given them no problems at all. If you want to do curtains etc, sometimes those fabrics are a bit thicker, so would be easier done on a better machine.

I don't know where you live, but it would be worth getting in contact with a local sewing machine shop and finding out what they have that people have brought in for part ex when up grading. Sewers/quilters/crafters like to upgrade it seems. You will get a far better machine for your money if you choose wisely if you purchase second hand. It really isn't like buying a second hand car.

Well, in a way it is! It's helpful to try the machine you are intending to buy and any dealer worth their salt would let you do this. If you purchase in this way you would more than likely end up with a newly serviced machine with a few months warranty.

A lot of cheap modern machines are built into a plastic casing, older machines may have a plastic cover, maybe metal, but have a 'solid centre'. This stops the machine wandering around when in use. Don't think of being heavy as a negative thing! One of the other problems with cheap machines is that if you have a problem then parts won't be available for them, you probably won't find anyone to repair them either. Buy cheap, buy twice..... unless you get a nice vintage one!

If you keep your eyes open on Freecycle or gumtree you could get lucky. Or let it be known that you are looking. Someone of your acquaintance, or thier acquaintance might be clearing out their home or someone else's. A neighbour/customer came and offered me a machine a couple of weeks ago, It's fab little machine....but a similar model to a 'vintage' I already have. Trying to justify keeping it, but truly I can't! Another customer offered me an overlocker. It was a very very simple and under featured one, but I have friend who only uses it for neatening edges on her craft projects so she was pleased to take it from me.

I'm rambling! Ask away if you want to know any more. If you PM me where you live I might have a shop recommendation.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    Aghh, I am trying to do another kondo sweep of my sewing room, starting with patterns. I have been through tops, trousers, underwear, nightwear, skirts and even aprons, hardly thrown any out for the cs. All good stuff and catalogued, I can never see me buying any pattern again. I have 4 apron patterns, 40s style, frilly half style, utility modern style. The frilly one would make lovely girly presents for christmas. I need to go and cross the cs ones off my list, all neat in a book

No doubt about it, I am going to have to have a dedicated sewing room in a new house. I have loads of haberdashery stuff, linings,cords, elastic, buttons, bias etc I am always delving into them when sewing, so they stay. Then again, I will sew as long as I am able
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,574Users online

Martin's Twitter