Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Raspberry Queen
    • By Raspberry Queen 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Raspberry Queen
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery
    • 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery 6th Dec 16 at 7:36 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert Feb 2018:

Hi there, Free Postcode Lottery has asked for a right of reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

Hi. I'm Chris, the Founder of FreePostcodeLottery.com and I've been invited to make a statement about this post. We're 100% free and funded by ads so, of course, we can only give away smaller amounts of money compared to paid lotteries. Because we're free you don't have to pay anything. You could argue that you are paying with your time, but we don't force anyone to participate and our members tell us that it's an enjoyable way to fill a minute or so whilst they are waiting for something else. Every month about 650 people win a share of over £30,000. As the site gets bigger we raise the number of prizes, and total prize amount disproportionately so that your chances of winning something actually increase. We've given away over £565,000 to thousands of our members so far and whilst we can't promise you a win, lots of people do. We would hate to think that anyone visited our site with false expectations so we're transparent with our figures, including the percentage of the UK population currently participating, and active postcodes. We're not a source of income, but a fun site where you might win hundreds of pounds for nothing. Whether you participate or not is entirely up to you. Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Back to Raspberry Queen's original post...

-----

Your chances of winning are very small.

Number of postcodes in the UK: 1,750,871 x 31.26% of postcodes registered =
    547322 people competing with you to win. In fact, it is higher than this, as there are often several people registered with each postcode. (They no longer give statistics for how many individuals are signed up to FPL, which is what you really need to work out your tiny chances of winning.)

If you are the only person registered with your postcode, and there are two chances to win big each day, you have a maximum of a 1 in 273661 chance of winning big each day (the chances are actually much less, given that more than one person is usually registered to each postcode).

273661 / 365.25 = a one in 749.243 chance of winning per year.

In other words, it would take the average player more than 749 years to win a decent amount on the free postcode lottery. And you may never win it at all!

The statistics for if you include the smaller chances to win (£10-£20+) are as follows. I'm not including the weekly Quidco draw as it would make it too complicated, the £5 flash ad draws as I don't quite know how they work, or the two bonus draws as it takes some time to build up enough bonus to unlock them). I'm counting the twice-daily stackpots as 10 chances to win (as there seems to be an average of about 5 spaces on the stack each time). That is approximately 14 chances to win each day.

547322 / 14 = 39094 (to the nearest whole number). So there is a maximum of 1 in 39094 chance to win each day. Divided by 365.25, that makes the yearly chance of winning 1 in 107.035.

In other words, it would take the average player (who is the only person registered at their postcode) more than 107 years to win something, even just a little prize.

I have decided to quit, and spend the time checking FPL doing something else instead. I am thinking of trying VoxPopMe when I set my new phone up. It is an app that pays you £0.25 for short review videos.

It took me about 4 minutes or more each day to check the results; if I spent 4 minutes every day, that's over 24 hours per year. If I instead spent 4 minutes every day making a VoxPopMe video, that would have earned me £91.25 over the year. In 2 years, I would be on £182.50 - more than you win in the survey draw, and about 747 years quicker than the average time it would take to win it on FPL!
    Last edited by MSE Anthony; 16-02-2018 at 2:28 PM.
Page 4
    • lytton
    • By lytton 12th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    lytton
    Anyone would think that Guthers has never heard of websites being funded through ad revenue. The concept is nearly as old as the internet itself. What do you suppose mr FPLís annual revenue is? What would be a suitable turnover for his website so you think? The thing with the ads right, Iím not sure if youíve tried this but bare with me.......the thing with the ads right is that you could try just not looking at them like I do. Iím not being made to look at any save 1 a day on the video draw. Even then I can literally turn my head and look at a hedge, for 8 seconds or so, and the magic is done. You may think the PPL concept is super but hereís another key point - many people on low incomes donít want to gamble. Even people on higher incomes donít want to gamble. Charity donations aside a lot of us actually have strong views about gambling, especially when those who are least informed and most in need are targeted in a predatory fashion. What weíve got is a free to play site that requires virtually no cognitive input that gives some small prizes. As far as internet entities go itís benign at worst. Thereís a reason why MSE links to it; because itís quite a nice idea as a passive hobby every day, and assuming youíre not on a 56k modem and connected to wi-fi it shouldnít cost anything. People on tight budgets have the opportunity to use a public wifi hotspot such as those at libraries or cafes. I canít help but wonder if your vitriol hides some sort of ulterior motive because I really donít see the big deal. Basically, I wish I thought of the FPL concept, but I didnít, so I donít get the revenue unless I start up a similar site. I donít think Crossword mania offers much to society but I occasionally buy a copy at an airport or something. If I find that itís being run by Al Qaeda then Iíll let you know, but itís probably not worth losing any sleep over otherwise.
    • SirTainly
    • By SirTainly 3rd May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SirTainly
    Wow
    First time I've come across someone complaining about a free lottery and the small chances of winning. It's a small lottery and there's no chance of winning life changing money but it's FREE! By all means raise a little cash by doing surveys (I do that too) but to advise people not to do the Free Postcode Lottery (now incidentally called 'Pick my Postcode' due to being bullied out of it's original name by the foreign owned Peoples Postcode Lottery), because of the small chances of winning is ludicrous. There's very little chance of winning any lottery and most cost you money, this one doesn't. If you have a couple of minutes spare then I would recommend you join Pick my Postcode (formerly Free Postcode Lottery).
    • Mega
    • By Mega 10th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mega
    I left this lottery a few years ago because it was taking several minutes to load even a single result, there were also big issues with posting comments or making observations, let along complaints. I have not seen the brand under the new name, but under the old title it gave every impression of being bloated and struggling to cope with traffic. Not something you want on a website you visit every day.

The mere fact it has had to rebrand suggests there were big issues, which the company is clearly designing.

I understand that the offer of 'free stuff' has a debilitating effect on on even the brightest, but everyone's time is finite.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 17th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 38,380 Posts
    • 265,098 Thanks
    mjm3346

The mere fact it has had to rebrand suggests there were big issues, which the company is clearly designing.
    Originally posted by Mega
    Wrong, it was just the peoples postcode lottery complained about the use of the name.
    Internet goodness £25501
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm v moved by many of ur comments on #10Things tonight. Very thankful it was seen in the spirit it was meant. I'm? https://t.co/JaeoPqIczM

• RT @MartinSLewis: Many asking about the free finanacial education textbook for schools - it's out in a couple of weeks - here's info https:?

• RT @psychotherapyMM: @MartinSLewis ?there?s a sacrifice? Most valuable point tonight. Success (however that looks) does not come easy. Nobo?

• Follow Martin