Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Raspberry Queen
    • By Raspberry Queen 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Raspberry Queen
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery
    • 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery 6th Dec 16 at 7:36 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert Feb 2018:

Hi there, Free Postcode Lottery has asked for a right of reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

Hi. I'm Chris, the Founder of FreePostcodeLottery.com and I've been invited to make a statement about this post. We're 100% free and funded by ads so, of course, we can only give away smaller amounts of money compared to paid lotteries. Because we're free you don't have to pay anything. You could argue that you are paying with your time, but we don't force anyone to participate and our members tell us that it's an enjoyable way to fill a minute or so whilst they are waiting for something else. Every month about 650 people win a share of over £30,000. As the site gets bigger we raise the number of prizes, and total prize amount disproportionately so that your chances of winning something actually increase. We've given away over £565,000 to thousands of our members so far and whilst we can't promise you a win, lots of people do. We would hate to think that anyone visited our site with false expectations so we're transparent with our figures, including the percentage of the UK population currently participating, and active postcodes. We're not a source of income, but a fun site where you might win hundreds of pounds for nothing. Whether you participate or not is entirely up to you. Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Back to Raspberry Queen's original post...

-----

Your chances of winning are very small.

Number of postcodes in the UK: 1,750,871 x 31.26% of postcodes registered =
    547322 people competing with you to win. In fact, it is higher than this, as there are often several people registered with each postcode. (They no longer give statistics for how many individuals are signed up to FPL, which is what you really need to work out your tiny chances of winning.)

If you are the only person registered with your postcode, and there are two chances to win big each day, you have a maximum of a 1 in 273661 chance of winning big each day (the chances are actually much less, given that more than one person is usually registered to each postcode).

273661 / 365.25 = a one in 749.243 chance of winning per year.

In other words, it would take the average player more than 749 years to win a decent amount on the free postcode lottery. And you may never win it at all!

The statistics for if you include the smaller chances to win (£10-£20+) are as follows. I'm not including the weekly Quidco draw as it would make it too complicated, the £5 flash ad draws as I don't quite know how they work, or the two bonus draws as it takes some time to build up enough bonus to unlock them). I'm counting the twice-daily stackpots as 10 chances to win (as there seems to be an average of about 5 spaces on the stack each time). That is approximately 14 chances to win each day.

547322 / 14 = 39094 (to the nearest whole number). So there is a maximum of 1 in 39094 chance to win each day. Divided by 365.25, that makes the yearly chance of winning 1 in 107.035.

In other words, it would take the average player (who is the only person registered at their postcode) more than 107 years to win something, even just a little prize.

I have decided to quit, and spend the time checking FPL doing something else instead. I am thinking of trying VoxPopMe when I set my new phone up. It is an app that pays you £0.25 for short review videos.

It took me about 4 minutes or more each day to check the results; if I spent 4 minutes every day, that's over 24 hours per year. If I instead spent 4 minutes every day making a VoxPopMe video, that would have earned me £91.25 over the year. In 2 years, I would be on £182.50 - more than you win in the survey draw, and about 747 years quicker than the average time it would take to win it on FPL!
    Last edited by MSE Anthony; 16-02-2018 at 2:28 PM.
Page 3
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 2nd Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    mikep22
    It was filth a couple of weeks ago when it was one measly digit away from getting me a grand. I cannot repeat the language I used at that point.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • Guthers
    • By Guthers 6th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    It should be remembered that the full time staff at FPL are the real ones who make money out of this, by persuading the rest of us mugs to wade through all the ads every day with the tiny chance of winning what amounts to little more than pocket money. The pages take so long to load that 4 or 5 minutes seems about right, and you can't look at another tab while you're waiting either. And if you've got a data allowance wave goodbye to that.

And the owner keeps banging on about how he's "giving away free money". If he was more honest about who's profiting most from this and where the money actually comes from in the first place I wouldn't mind so much.

But of course I keep looking, despite it not making any sense, because tomorrow it might be my code. In the meantime I have earned literally thousands from survey sites over the years.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the legal battle with PPL.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    takman
    It should be remembered that the full time staff at FPL are the real ones who make money out of this, by persuading the rest of us mugs to wade through all the ads every day with the tiny chance of winning what amounts to little more than pocket money. The pages take so long to load that 4 or 5 minutes seems about right, and you can't look at another tab while you're waiting either. And if you've got a data allowance wave goodbye to that.
    Originally posted by Guthers
    It take me at most 2 minutes to do everything and view the video when the site is a bit slow and it isn't exactly data intensive. If checking the site once a day for a month uses all your data allowance then it must be a very low allowance!.

If he was more honest about who's profiting most from this [/B]and where the money actually comes from in the first place I wouldn't mind so much.

But of course I keep looking, despite it not making any sense, because tomorrow it might be my code. In the meantime I have earned literally thousands from survey sites over the years.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the legal battle with PPL.
    by Guthers;74123528
    And the owner keeps banging on about how he's "giving away free money".[B
    More honest about profiting? Why would a business need to explain that they make a profit, isn't it obvious?.

I think it's a pretty good site as you can take part in a lottery without paying a penny compared to paying £1/£2 a go for other lotteries.
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 7th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    cally6008
    FPL have got a survey running about a new name for them
    https://goo.gl/forms/PDDW0a5AHPDLFrCp1

• Guthers
    • By Guthers 7th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    More honest about profiting? Why would a business need to explain that they make a profit, isn't it obvious?
    Originally posted by takman
    Not when he keeps claiming to be giving away free money, no. But my point was, as the OP pointed out, if you play it you stand a tiny chance of winning some pocket money for your time, while the owners make a living from showing you adverts.

He also gets prickly if anybody criticises him, even in a jokey way:

freepostcodelottery.com/blog/a-nasty-little-idea-but-rather-brilliant/
    Last edited by Guthers; 07-04-2018 at 2:10 PM.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 7th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    sham63
    I donít get this thread - itís not compulsory, so donít play if you donít agree with the principle.

With regards to the company making a profit, so what? How many companies are there that provide a service completely free, with no salary or expenses for employees?

What I also find strange is someone creating a new MSE account just to slag FPL off.
    • Frogle
    • By Frogle 7th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Frogle
    Perhaps Raspberry Queen works for PPL!
    • 9411john
    • By 9411john 8th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    9411john
    Takes no time!
    Takes none of my time to check! Whilst first page is loading put kettle on. Then right right click and open each prize category in new tab. Go back to kettle and make tea. By time tea is ready all pages have loaded. Drink tea whilst perusing the pages. Simples!
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    takman
    Not when he keeps claiming to be giving away free money, no. But my point was, as the OP pointed out, if you play it you stand a tiny chance of winning some pocket money for your time, while the owners make a living from showing you adverts.

He also gets prickly if anybody criticises him, even in a jokey way:

freepostcodelottery.com/blog/a-nasty-little-idea-but-rather-brilliant/
    I really don't understand what the problem is?. It's "free money" because it doesn't cost you any money to watch adverts, I know it costs you a small amount of time but it's just a term used for marketing so don't get too hung up on it.

Also so what if he is making a living out of it, I'm glad he is!. He has come up with a good idea so why shouldn't he make money?. Ironically your posting on a site where Martin Lewis has made millions from due to how popular it is and all the people who visit it. Martin Lewis has made far more money from this site due to people like us using it than the guy who created FPL.

So what if he doesn't like people critising his idea, it's his idea and he can defend it if he wants to. The prizes may not be massive but it doesn't cost money and you have a higher chance of winning than with the national lottery.

But as others have said you don't have to use the site, it's a lottery so it's not even a remotely essential service. So he can run the site however he wants and it won't really effect anyone.
    • Guthers
    • By Guthers 9th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    Martin Lewis's site is at least useful because it enables anybody who reads the tips to save money. Most on FPL will never see anything in return.

It's not something that happens often, but I agree with Matthew Paris. The utter cynicism of making a living out of bombarding people with more adverts, taking money from the advertisers himself while claiming to be "giving away free money", and ultimately providing nothing of any use to society, and people seem to have fallen for it. With the video draw, you have to watch the advert in full, but then the code is revealed before the featured artist's video. Very telling.

And then the comments section has to be seen to be believed. Anybody asking a simple question is rounded on by the regulars as if they resent just giving a simple answer to help. And now they're all cancelling their PPL subs, which do actually help to fund charities. Well done!

Hey, there is no "problem", I know it's not compulsory, I'm just very cynical about it. In a free country I'm allowed to do that and give my opinion. I apologise if that offends anybody.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 9th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    mikep22
    Martin Lewis's site is at least useful because it enables anybody who reads the tips to save money. Most on FPL will never see anything in return.

It's not something that happens often, but I agree with Matthew Paris. The utter cynicism of making a living out of bombarding people with more adverts, taking money from the advertisers himself while claiming to be "giving away free money", and ultimately providing nothing of any use to society, and people seem to have fallen for it. With the video draw, you have to watch the advert in full, but then the code is revealed before the featured artist's video. Very telling.

And then the comments section has to be seen to be believed. Anybody asking a simple question is rounded on by the regulars as if they resent just giving a simple answer to help. And now they're all cancelling their PPL subs, which do actually help to fund charities. Well done!

Hey, there is no "problem", I know it's not compulsory, I'm just very cynical about it. In a free country I'm allowed to do that and give my opinion. I apologise if that offends anybody.
    This is weapons grade stupidity. Nobody is being offended, its a free country and we are allowed to think you are being a moron. I apologise if that offends you.

It takes very little time to view the main draw, the video draw (you just hit play, then go and make a cuppa), a 1 question survey and the stackpot. Where are these ads which are bombarding you?
    And yes, the video is most likely on some kind of timer. I am not sure what you are proving here, what is "very telling"?! It is clearly so the video gains views. The more views it gets, the more money it will generate. Its basic stuff.

Yes, the business is out there to make money. And you know what? Good for them. Good luck to them.

I am not sure what the PPL has to do with this thread? And how dare you scold people off for what they do with their money, that is none of your business.

You are cynical...about what? What is it that they are doing that is not obvious?

Fool of a took. Its a free country, dont be offended now.....
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • takman
    • By takman 10th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    takman

I still can't see why you disagree with a business making money, every business has to get money from somewhere and people are choosing to see adverts to use the site.

The reason that so many services and websites online are free to use is because they get money from adverts. I would much rather that than have to pay to use most websites/services when online.

I've never read the comments section, that's probably why it takes you so long to check the site

I don't know how you got the information that people are using this instead of the PPL but thats a good thing!. This is a money saving site so if people are saving money by using a free lottery instead then that's great.

The fact that other lotteries use some of the money to support charities is either a marketing gimmick or a legal requirement. They do not do it out of kindness they do it because they think it will make them look good and advertise this fact to get more customers and make more money.

Obviously nobody is offended and nobody is saying you can't give an opinion. But you can't expect people to not challenge a negative opinion if they don't agree with what you are saying.
    • Guthers
    • By Guthers 10th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    I still can't see why you disagree with a business making money,
    I don't. What I disagree with is his constant claim that they are "giving away free money" as if he's some sort of philanthropist. It's a money making exercise, relying on hundreds of thousands of people clicking every day while only a tiny number can win anything, and advertisers paying for the privilege, nothing more. It doesn't add anything useful or meaningful to society, and not particularly entertaining either, although some people seem to think it's fun for some reason.
    I don't know how you got the information that people are using this instead of the PPL but thats a good thing!. This is a money saving site so if people are saving money by using a free lottery instead then that's great.

The fact that other lotteries use some of the money to support charities is either a marketing gimmick or a legal requirement. They do not do it out of kindness they do it because they think it will make them look and isd and advertise this fact to get more customers and make more money.
    Well, you may say that, but on their website PPL tell a different story:

Our parent company Novamedia has been operating charity lotteries around the world since 1989. Their aim is to raise funds for deserving charities and widen awareness of the amazing work of these good causes. All of the Novamedia lotteries use the same simple recipe !!!8211; players winning fantastic prizes while raising money for charity.

Novamedia was ranked as the world's third largest private charity donor in London business newspaper City A.M.'s World Charity Index 2017. Internationally, the operation has contributed over !!!8364;7.9 Billion to charitable projects around the world.
    So it seems to me they possibly have a bigger claim to hold the moral high ground.
    Obviously nobody is offended and nobody is saying you can't give an opinion. But you can't expect people to not challenge a negative opinion if they don't agree with what you are saying.
    Well, somebody else here is calling me a moron, and possibly worse. But then I sort of expect that from people on the internet who don't seem to understand plain English..
    Last edited by Guthers; 10-04-2018 at 6:43 PM.
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 10th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    MissPop
    Oh my God, get over it *rolls eyes*

Someone posted in this thread only the other week saying they'd won over a grand. Not bad for a couple of minutes' effort a day.
    Make £2018 in 2018 - £1,230.94/£2018

2018 totals
    GiftHulk - £28.46 | Swagbucks - £175
    Prolific Academic - £82.37 | Qmee - £55
    • Guthers
    • By Guthers 10th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    Where are these ads which are bombarding you?
    Originally posted by mikep22
    The whole site is funded because you are looking at adverts, in case you hadn't noticed.
    And yes, the video is most likely on some kind of timer. I am not sure what you are proving here, what is "very telling"?! It is clearly so the video gains views. The more views it gets, the more money it will generate. Its basic stuff.
    Originally posted by mikep22
    And the point I made was you are forced to watch the advert, but the featured artist or band's video appears after the code is revealed so you don't need to watch it. In other words the advert is obviously considered more important.

Why not try to be a bit less unpleasant?
    • Guthers
    • By Guthers 10th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    Oh my God, get over it *rolls eyes*

Someone posted in this thread only the other week saying they'd won over a grand. Not bad for a couple of minutes' effort a day.
    Originally posted by MissPop
    What a brilliant observation. Well done. This is a forum for posting opinions. You get over it.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    takman
    I don't. What I disagree with is his constant claim that they are "giving away free money" as if he's some sort of philanthropist. It's a money making exercise, relying on hundreds of thousands of people clicking every day while only a tiny number can win anything, and advertisers paying for the privilege, nothing more. It doesn't add anything useful or meaningful to society, and not particularly entertaining either, although some people seem to think it's fun for some reason.
    I'm not particularly interested in playing any kind of lottery, but i like the concept of FPL as it's a free version of something that you would otherwise have to pay for. Which is always good looking at it from a money saving perspective. If the advertisers were not happy with the way the website worked and was funded they could easily refuse to advertise on the site.

If someone comes up with a popular idea then i think they deserve to make money from it. Alot things don't add anything useful or meaningful to society if you really think about it.

So it seems to me they possibly have a bigger claim to hold the moral high ground.
    Looking into the company they do seem to be genuinely focused on supporting charities. But the fact they are taking legal action against FPL sours their philanthropy slightly in my opinion; as they appear to not be happy with them simply changing their name.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 11th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 38,060 Posts
    • 261,549 Thanks
    mjm3346

Well, somebody else here is calling me a moron, and possibly worse. But then I sort of expect that from people on the internet who don't seem to understand plain English..
    PPL are a paid lottery that are legally required to give to charity if they want to run in this country the way they do.

PPL are notorious for hounding people to play or play more.

FPL gives you the chance to donate your prize to charity if you win and they will double the amount.

In the past the FPL has said as the site earns more they will be able to increase the prizes (which they have done) and they have also said the increased earnings have enabled them to take on extra staff (which they have done).

The main FPL draw does not require any videos to be watched although if you do choose to look there are a minimum of 17 winning postcodes a day giving over 6,000 potential winners a year. The page loads just like any other internet page for me (except of course I have a chance to get back something for the ads that are displayed unlike almost every other web page that displays ads).

There is no cash payment for the "Free Money" and it is just as free as a "Free" search engine or e-mail address or news page etc etc
    Last edited by mjm3346; 11-04-2018 at 3:35 PM.
    Internet goodness £25263
    • Guthers
    • By Guthers 11th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guthers
    I'm not particularly interested in playing any kind of lottery, but i like the concept of FPL as it's a free version of something that you would otherwise have to pay for. Which is always good looking at it from a money saving perspective. If the advertisers were not happy with the way the website worked and was funded they could easily refuse to advertise on the site.

If someone comes up with a popular idea then i think they deserve to make money from it. Alot things don't add anything useful or meaningful to society if you really think about it.

Looking into the company they do seem to be genuinely focused on supporting charities. But the fact they are taking legal action against FPL sours their philanthropy slightly in my opinion; as they appear to not be happy with them simply changing their name.
    Well fair enough, but they might just be trying to protect the money they raise for charity, against somebody who is basically doing it for personal gain. In the end the law may decide what is fair.

In terms of people making money from popular ideas, I just find the whole idea of a site whose sole purpose is to show ads to be distasteful. Most people hate being bombarded with ads, but offer them the tiny chance of a tenner...

And then you can see the abuse you get if you dare to criticise it, either here or in a national newspaper, which doesn't endear it or its fans to me either.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 11th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 38,060 Posts
    • 261,549 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Well fair enough, but they might just be trying to protect the money they raise for charity, against somebody who is basically doing it for personal gain. In the end the law may decide what is fair.

In terms of people making money from popular ideas, I just find the whole idea of a site whose sole purpose is to show ads to be distasteful. Most people hate being bombarded with ads, but offer them the tiny chance of a tenner...

And then you can see the abuse you get if you dare to criticise it, either here or in a national newspaper, which doesn't endear it or its fans to me either.
    The "law" will not be making any judgement on how "worthy" or not either site is - who was there first and is there a chance the sites could be confused with each other.

If you don't like the idea of a site that both makes and gives away money from ads instead of just keeping all the money then just don't visit it.

FYI the main draw is £500 not £10, the biggest payout has been £2,501, almost £570,000 has been given away so far and it would not bother me if the site has earned 10 or 100 times that in the same time.

(Over £6.70 from each £10 monthly play on the PPL does not go to charity so that is an awful lot of money spent on other things given that unlike the national lottery the only way to play is by direct debit so there is no commission to pay to any retailers)
    Last edited by mjm3346; 11-04-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Internet goodness £25263
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,284Posts Today

4,354Users online

Martin's Twitter