Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Raspberry Queen
    • By Raspberry Queen 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Raspberry Queen
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery
    • 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery 6th Dec 16 at 7:36 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert Feb 2018:

Hi there, Free Postcode Lottery has asked for a right of reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

Hi. I'm Chris, the Founder of FreePostcodeLottery.com and I've been invited to make a statement about this post. We're 100% free and funded by ads so, of course, we can only give away smaller amounts of money compared to paid lotteries. Because we're free you don't have to pay anything. You could argue that you are paying with your time, but we don't force anyone to participate and our members tell us that it's an enjoyable way to fill a minute or so whilst they are waiting for something else. Every month about 650 people win a share of over £30,000. As the site gets bigger we raise the number of prizes, and total prize amount disproportionately so that your chances of winning something actually increase. We've given away over £565,000 to thousands of our members so far and whilst we can't promise you a win, lots of people do. We would hate to think that anyone visited our site with false expectations so we're transparent with our figures, including the percentage of the UK population currently participating, and active postcodes. We're not a source of income, but a fun site where you might win hundreds of pounds for nothing. Whether you participate or not is entirely up to you. Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Back to Raspberry Queen's original post...

-----

Your chances of winning are very small.

Number of postcodes in the UK: 1,750,871 x 31.26% of postcodes registered =
    547322 people competing with you to win. In fact, it is higher than this, as there are often several people registered with each postcode. (They no longer give statistics for how many individuals are signed up to FPL, which is what you really need to work out your tiny chances of winning.)

If you are the only person registered with your postcode, and there are two chances to win big each day, you have a maximum of a 1 in 273661 chance of winning big each day (the chances are actually much less, given that more than one person is usually registered to each postcode).

273661 / 365.25 = a one in 749.243 chance of winning per year.

In other words, it would take the average player more than 749 years to win a decent amount on the free postcode lottery. And you may never win it at all!

The statistics for if you include the smaller chances to win (£10-£20+) are as follows. I'm not including the weekly Quidco draw as it would make it too complicated, the £5 flash ad draws as I don't quite know how they work, or the two bonus draws as it takes some time to build up enough bonus to unlock them). I'm counting the twice-daily stackpots as 10 chances to win (as there seems to be an average of about 5 spaces on the stack each time). That is approximately 14 chances to win each day.

547322 / 14 = 39094 (to the nearest whole number). So there is a maximum of 1 in 39094 chance to win each day. Divided by 365.25, that makes the yearly chance of winning 1 in 107.035.

In other words, it would take the average player (who is the only person registered at their postcode) more than 107 years to win something, even just a little prize.

I have decided to quit, and spend the time checking FPL doing something else instead. I am thinking of trying VoxPopMe when I set my new phone up. It is an app that pays you £0.25 for short review videos.

It took me about 4 minutes or more each day to check the results; if I spent 4 minutes every day, that's over 24 hours per year. If I instead spent 4 minutes every day making a VoxPopMe video, that would have earned me £91.25 over the year. In 2 years, I would be on £182.50 - more than you win in the survey draw, and about 747 years quicker than the average time it would take to win it on FPL!
    Last edited by MSE Anthony; 16-02-2018 at 2:28 PM.
Page 2
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 29th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    My other half won £10 the other week which isn't bad for a few minutes work.

I play the usual lottery, I reckon £10 in exchange for the chance to win £157million is better odds than anything else!
    • jacobsdaduk
    • By jacobsdaduk 11th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    jacobsdaduk
    The OP's maths here are slightly flawed. As others have said, it's free, unlike the Lottery or Health Lottery.

My friend won £1000 last week, so it's worth it in my opinion.
    Happy with my advice? The please use the 'thanks' button vvvvvvvvvvvvv
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 7,119 Posts
    • 49,611 Thanks
    kerri gt
    If I found a tenner in the street I'd be happy (obv if I saw who dropped it I'd return it) and if I win on this for free then I'll be equally happy, I'm quite sure many of us spend more than a few mins browsing sites that add no particular value to our lives each day so a min or so to check FPL is no skin off my nose.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 16th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    I won £100 just before Christmas, which added to my £23 bonus was a lovely surprise. Not life-changing, but since it's free I'm certainly not complaining
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 16th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 37,255 Posts
    • 251,807 Thanks
    mjm3346
    They have now paid out over £544,000 not bad for something you don't pay any cash to enter.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 16-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Internet goodness £24913
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 27th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 37,255 Posts
    • 251,807 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Someone else from MSE won £500 a couple of days ago.
    Internet goodness £24913
    • datlex
    • By datlex 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    datlex
    So the odds are very high, so what? It's free doesn't cost me anything .
    apart from about 3/4 mins of my day checking the results.
    I may never win, but I can't win the lottery either and that cost me if I want to play.
    Originally posted by harrys nan
    It takes you 3/4 mins to check? Costs nothing takes less than a minute to check
    • Lost2
    • By Lost2 28th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 14,300 Posts
    • 29,335 Thanks
    Lost2
    Someone else from MSE won £500 a couple of days ago.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Ive just won 14sb doing a search on Free Postcode Lottery
    Sealed Pot Number 262009..£950.50 2010..£256 2011..£526 2012..£548.80 2013...£758.882014..£510 2015...£604.782016...£704.50 2017...£4752018...£

SwagBucks £285
    • SofaChillReview
    • By SofaChillReview 11th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SofaChillReview
    I hadn't even heard of this I now the postcode lottery you pay for seems good at throwing a few tenners your way but nothing too big either, then again I stopped the lottery before they priced it up to twice as much so there you go. I think if you have the time with smartphones now that few minutes is hardly bad because we aren't essentially making money every minute of every day.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 12th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    mikep22
    I hadn't even heard of this I now the postcode lottery you pay for seems good at throwing a few tenners your way but nothing too big either, then again I stopped the lottery before they priced it up to twice as much so there you go. I think if you have the time with smartphones now that few minutes is hardly bad because we aren't essentially making money every minute of every day.
    Originally posted by SofaChillReview
    Has anyone ever really been as far as decided to do what more like?
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • Lulibella
    • By Lulibella 18th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lulibella
    Itís worth my time!
    You need to check twice a day to catch all the 9 daily draws. It takes me two minutes per day. It costs nothing. Working out the probability of winning is such a waste of time, as knowing the odds will not change whether I will personally win or not. Itís just random luck. The only sure thing, is that if you donít register or donít check, you wonít win.
    I think itís a great innovative idea that offers a fun chance to win cash for free.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 18th Feb 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    badmemory
    & don't forget freedinner & freemoji. And that 1 that just got added to the number in £20 bonus draw - that's me!
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 18th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 37,255 Posts
    • 251,807 Thanks
    mjm3346
    You need to check twice a day to catch all the 9 daily draws. It takes me two minutes per day. It costs nothing. Working out the probability of winning is such a waste of time, as knowing the odds will not change whether I will personally win or not. Itís just random luck. The only sure thing, is that if you donít register or donít check, you wonít win.
    I think itís a great innovative idea that offers a fun chance to win cash for free.
    Originally posted by Lulibella
    You need to check 3 times a day, 9 am and 9 pm for the stackpots and 6 pm for the mini draw as these are all first come first served, it doesn't matter which of these checks you combine the rest of the draws with that reset at 12:00 each day as they are all shared prizes if more than one eligible winner claims.
    Internet goodness £24913
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 4th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 37,255 Posts
    • 251,807 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Won £150 a few days ago and received an Amazon voucher (my choice) within 5 days.
    Internet goodness £24913
    • lytton
    • By lytton 5th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    lytton
    The thing is, making or reviewing little videos is a different sort of task. It may fit well with your lifestyle but it takes considerably less brain power to click some buttons and scan a page for your postcode, especially if youíre only half paying attention whilst pushing the pram down the street. Cue posts telling me to look where Iím going when pushing a pram.
    • wurley
    • By wurley 27th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    wurley
    You can win
    I won £1019.81 on the FPL - The money has gone into my bank... I didn't believe it until it was paid.... Happy me.
    • madderrose
    • By madderrose 28th Mar 18, 10:33 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    madderrose
    I won £1019.81 on the FPL - The money has gone into my bank... I didn't believe it until it was paid.... Happy me.
    Originally posted by wurley
    Superb! Congratulations. I got a £5 flash draw today - still waiting for a big win.
    • Nikiya
    • By Nikiya 31st Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    Nikiya
    Glad to see some people are winning something in the FPL!! My bonus is at 21+ now and I was beginning to wonder if I'll ever receive it (You need to win something for it to be paid).
    As I see it the greatest benefits of the FPL is putting you off playing ANY lotteries by showing you how low your chances are at winning ANYTHING with draws every single day lol!!! :-)
    • Lucyxx
    • By Lucyxx 31st Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    Lucyxx
    Originally posted by wurley
    Wow congrats! I won £5 on the flash draw once, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw it

Enjoy your win
    • KittyBear
    • By KittyBear 2nd Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KittyBear
    Well done Wurley!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,074Posts Today

5,568Users online

Martin's Twitter