Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Articulate25
    • By Articulate25 29th Nov 16, 7:29 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Articulate25
    Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam
    • 29th Nov 16, 7:29 PM
    Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam 29th Nov 16 at 7:29 PM
    Hi, I purchased one months subscription for FMP, , I only wanted one months worth as to find my fathers military POW records, the record(transcript) I found on the paid site was no more than the records that were available for free on it I am also concerned I have to pay at all to find my late fathers military service records given he gave his youth and health for this country as a WW2 POW. Anyway, they have now already automatically renewed my subscription, this i believe in in the contract, but there was no renewal email, I don't like these sites, the govt sold our records to them, but even on those terms this auto renewal is dubious, thoughts, responses?
Page 3
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    Zandoni
    An incorrect assumption on your part. How can you possibly have any idea what sort of terms in a contract I am willing to accept?

Personally, I take responsibility for my actions and decisions and if signing up to a contract, I make myself aware of what I am expected to agree to and if I don't like those terms then I won't agree to them.

Is that really so hard for every responsible adult to do?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I!!!8217;m pleased you do but many people lead very busy lives and they may occasionally fail to read them. Auto renew hasn!!!8217;t been around for too long and I believe it!!!8217;s there to exploit the people who are too trusting.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th May 18, 2:39 AM
    • 33,645 Posts
    • 28,566 Thanks
    custardy
    I!!!8217;m pleased you do but many people lead very busy lives and they may occasionally fail to read them. Auto renew hasn!!!8217;t been around for too long and I believe it!!!8217;s there to exploit the people who are too trusting.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    Oh god,here we go with 'busy' lives.
    Yes just flying along with our busy lives,too busy to read T&Cs on that urgent historical record investigation.......
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 15th May 18, 6:00 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Oh god,here we go with 'busy' lives.
    Yes just flying along with our busy lives,too busy to read T&Cs on that urgent historical record investigation.......
    Originally posted by custardy
    The problem would be easily solved if companies were more open with their T&Cs. Auto renew is not there to help the customer, how hard would it be to ask if they want it. If you are the type of person who likes the idea then you can say yes, so simple.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th May 18, 6:15 AM
    • 63,172 Posts
    • 370,034 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The problem would be easily solved if companies were more open with their T&Cs. Auto renew is not there to help the customer, how hard would it be to ask if they want it. If you are the type of person who likes the idea then you can say yes, so simple.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    While I fully understand that FMP is open/up front and easy to cancel (I use them myself with no subscription at all as I turned off auto renew) ..... I'm in the camp of the response above.

It wouldn't be too hard for them to, for new members maybe, to have it turned off by default, but then "NAG" them each time they accessed the site and it was close to the end of their sub to say "if you don't click this box to auto-renew, then your sub will be ending in X days/Y hours" with options of "OMG Yes, I'd hate to lose this, renew renew renew" and "Nah, just looking, got it now thanks".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

56Posts Today

2,347Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin