Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Articulate25
    • By Articulate25 29th Nov 16, 7:29 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Articulate25
    Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam
    • 29th Nov 16, 7:29 PM
    Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam 29th Nov 16 at 7:29 PM
    Hi, I purchased one months subscription for FMP, , I only wanted one months worth as to find my fathers military POW records, the record(transcript) I found on the paid site was no more than the records that were available for free on it I am also concerned I have to pay at all to find my late fathers military service records given he gave his youth and health for this country as a WW2 POW. Anyway, they have now already automatically renewed my subscription, this i believe in in the contract, but there was no renewal email, I don't like these sites, the govt sold our records to them, but even on those terms this auto renewal is dubious, thoughts, responses?
Page 2
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 13th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    If some people don't even make the slightest effort to read those
    T&C's, the companies don't have to hide behind anything.

I honestly can't believe that a long time MSE member such as yourself thinks that someone signing up to a financial contract doesn't have any responsibility to actually read up on what the legal terms of that contract are.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I never said you shouldnít read the T&Cs I said you shouldnít have to. I believe itís wrong for you to be automatically opted in for auto renewal.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 13th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Clearly youíve never read any of Zandoniís posts before !!!129315;
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    You do make me laugh.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th May 18, 5:42 PM
    • 18,655 Posts
    • 15,580 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I believe itís wrong for you to be automatically opted in for auto renewal.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    Do you also believe it's wrong have to opt out of motor insurance auto-renewal too?

Can you imagine the number of motorists who, when caught without insurance, would say:
    "I can't believe they don't automatically renew it. The default should be to renew automatically".
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 13th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Do you also believe it's wrong have to opt out of motor insurance auto-renewal too?

Can you imagine the number of motorists who, when caught without insurance, would say:
    "I can't believe they don't automatically renew it. The default should be to renew automatically".
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Motor insurance companies are the worst culprits. Many people allow auto renewal at a greatly inflated price. We should all shop around each year.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    Motor insurance companies are the worst culprits. Many people allow auto renewal at a greatly inflated price. We should all shop around each year.
    and those very people are very likely to miss their non auto renewal expiration date..........
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 9,959 Posts
    • 11,232 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I never said you shouldnít read the T&Cs I said you shouldnít have to.
    And in an ideal world, no one should feel the need to lock the doors or windows of their house and shouldn't have to check out reviews or seek recommendations for builders etc as everyone would be 100% trustworthy.

Saying what you think people shouldn't have to do is totally pointless as I think everyone knows we don't live in a Utopian world.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 13th May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    and those very people are very likely to miss their non auto renewal expiration date..........
    Originally posted by custardy
    If you know youíre the type of person who ignores the barrage of reminders then you can turn on the auto renew.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 13th May 18, 7:03 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    And in an ideal world, no one should feel the need to lock the doors or windows of their house and shouldn't have to check out reviews or seek recommendations for builders etc as everyone would be 100% trustworthy.

Saying what you think people shouldn't have to do is totally pointless as I think everyone knows we don't live in a Utopian world.
    That would all be very nice, but I think we need to take small steps, donít you.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    If you know youíre the type of person who ignores the barrage of reminders then you can turn on the auto renew.
    You mean like the one(s) highlighting the insurance will auto renew?
    Look at the OP. They had auto renew explained to them and still didnt get it.
    Do you think they would be the type to search out a safety net auto renewal?
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 13th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    You mean like the one(s) highlighting the insurance will auto renew?
    Look at the OP. They had auto renew explained to them and still didnt get it.
    Do you think they would be the type to search out a safety net auto renewal?
    You normally get the one email for auto renew and thatís if youíre lucky.

Where did the OP say they had auto renew explained to them?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    You normally get the one email for auto renew and thatís if youíre lucky.

Where did the OP say they had auto renew explained to them?

um the T&Cs they signed up to?
    The ones posted by another poster.
    Honestly its a grown up world we live in. You folks that want spoon fed to my head in.
    The OP didn't say they had it explained to them as the simply didn't bother to read what they were agreeing to.
    Perhaps every site should employ and army of people to come round your house and discuss things first?
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    um the T&Cs they signed up to?
    The ones posted by another poster.
    Honestly its a grown up world we live in. You folks that want spoon fed to my head in.
    The OP didn't say they had it explained to them as the simply didn't bother to read what they were agreeing to.
    Perhaps every site should employ and army of people to come round your house and discuss things first?
    Perhaps it will best to stick to the facts then.

Anyway I would very much like to see an opt in rather than an opt out, it would be so much fairer.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    Perhaps it will best to stick to the facts then.

Anyway I would very much like to see an opt in rather than an opt out, it would be so much fairer.
    Well the 'facts' are they were provided with the FULL T&Cs,yet chose not to read them and agreed to them. They could have been signed up to a 5 year contract.
    Does this not explain the terms agreed to?

Seems you want to live in a world of being led by the hand.
    I do not.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Well the 'facts' are they were provided with the FULL T&Cs,yet chose not to read them and agreed to them. They could have been signed up to a 5 year contract.
    Does this not explain the terms agreed to?

Seems you want to live in a world of being led by the hand.
    I do not.
    Not at all, I want to live in a world where you opt in and not opt out of auto renew, like Iíve said many times.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    Not at all, I want to live in a world where you opt in and not opt out of auto renew, like Iíve said many times.
    So simply buy from sites that offer that.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th May 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    So simply buy from sites that offer that.
    It would be nice if that was possible.

While people accept companies hiding behind T&Cs they will get away with misleading terms.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 9,959 Posts
    • 11,232 Thanks
    shaun from Africa

That would all be very nice, but I think we need to take small steps, donít you.
    Would these "small steps" include reading up on the T&C's of a contract that you are signing up to instead of simply ticking a box to state that you have read and agree to them?
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Would these "small steps" include reading up on the T&C's of a contract that you are signing up to instead of simply ticking a box to state that you have read and agree to them?
    No, the first step would be that you have to opt in and not opt out as I keep saying.

The trouble is though people like yourself accept unfair terms.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 14th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 17,942 Posts
    • 111,628 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    A lot of libraries offer free access to UK records from FMP and/or Ancestry. That's the most MSE way to access.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 9,959 Posts
    • 11,232 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    No, the first step would be that you have to opt in and not opt out as I keep saying.

The trouble is though people like yourself accept unfair terms.
    An incorrect assumption on your part. How can you possibly have any idea what sort of terms in a contract I am willing to accept?

Personally, I take responsibility for my actions and decisions and if signing up to a contract, I make myself aware of what I am expected to agree to and if I don't like those terms then I won't agree to them.

Is that really so hard for every responsible adult to do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,190Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin