Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 27th Nov 16, 8:31 PM
    • 245Posts
    • 848Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Lady K's savings diary
    • 27th Nov 16, 8:31 PM
    Lady K's savings diary 27th Nov 16 at 8:31 PM
    I wanted to get my saving thoughts and ideas down somewhere and thought this would be the great place to do it. I hope you all don't mind!

I'm 27, I moved out to live with my partner just over a year ago. I started a degree with the OU and I also changed jobs from being a carer to working in an opticians. Although the wage wasn't too bad where I worked, after 8 years in care I wanted to do something different and took the opportunity to try something different, even if it meant less money.

My partner makes around 26,000, I make around 15,000 before tax.

My partner showed me how to put together my own excel spreadsheet for this years money. I spent a whopping 12000 just this year. This does include all the things I have to spend money on, rent, bills, car, shopping.

Today I found out I have 5 to last me until payday.

So, I am stuck cash wise for a bit.

The savings I will be making:
    I will be going to the bank and getting rid of the account where I pay 10 a month. 10
    As of October, I stopped buying contacts on the contact lens reward scheme. I wasn't wearing them that much and now wearing glasses in my new job was easier than working in care! 15.50

My goal for 2017 is to save 2000. A small amount I know, but if I set little goals I might hit them quicker! I also have another small goal, which is to find a job where I earn slightly more. But I need some confidence before I do that!

Lady K
    Last edited by Ladykernow; 27-11-2016 at 8:34 PM.
    Dec 2017 - Dec 2018 ~ Save 5000 404/5000
Page 3
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st May 17, 7:32 AM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 18,804 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the bonus LadyK. I hope you don't have to wait too long to get an allotment !! How exciting
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360.83
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 13,388 Posts
    • 46,878 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Exams are so stressful. Try to have some fun revision in the garden or park. It makes it easier. Good luck with allotment. Wow. All that lovely food you can grow for nothing. You could make money from it too.
    Chiistmas Fund 21.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 6th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Finished my exam, although I think I haven't done very well. Now for the massive tidy up in the house! There is paper everywhere because i've been focusing on revision more than anything else.

I need to plan a trip back home soon and use up some holiday at work. I need to try and focus on making the bonus as well. This week i've been a bit down with my work and essays. Boo! Although I would like it to one day lead to something.

I want to do a bit more wombling soon too! Very inspired by the people on here and on facebook. Thank you everyone! My partner thinks i'm potty.

My neighbours asked me to cat sit last week, which was nice. They left some milk for us to use as it was going to go out of date. Anyway they got me some chocolate! It was so nice of them! I wasn't expecting it. That's gone in my stash of food.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 1st Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Happy 2018! I haven't updated this for a while.

I am attempting the no spend January and also save 5000 in 2018.

I have a massive 2018 list of what I want to achieve. One step at a time though!

I've been mulling over giving up my job and doing something else as i've not been enjoying it. Yet, I really don't know what to do. That's another reason why I want to quit the spending as much as possible this year. Just in case I don't end up with anything.

We also got our allotment just before christmas, which needs a lot of work. The weather hasn't been so great though. It's been either snowing, or raining! So we hope to grow lots of food this year.

LadyK
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 13,388 Posts
    • 46,878 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Welcome back and a great post for the new year LadyK.

A NSJanuary is very brave I do applaud you - I have gone mad on my credit card in the sales. lol. Have you met Kittikins one of her family KW is into allotments too you could share stories.

I get the job thing. We all do I think. It's a common theme on here. Good luck ma'am. Please keep posting.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 2nd Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Welcome back and a great post for the new year LadyK.

A NSJanuary is very brave I do applaud you - I have gone mad on my credit card in the sales. lol. Have you met Kittikins one of her family KW is into allotments too you could share stories.

I get the job thing. We all do I think. It's a common theme on here. Good luck ma'am. Please keep posting.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe
    I don't think i've met Kittkins?

Did you get anything nice in the sales?
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 2nd Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 13,388 Posts
    • 46,878 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Kittikins is on this forum with a thread called 'Dreams and Wishes'. Right now all her dreams and wishes are falling into place. Check her out she's so nice.

I bought lots of tins of biscuits, some fancy alcohol things for male friends and family. For me trainers and tracksuit (to keep fit) and a few clothes.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 44,095 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Aw shucks, thanks SW, you're lovely too! x

Hi Ladykernow - allotments are sooooo exciting (especially when you have a fab gardening beloved, who so far has done all the work, whilst I do the planning ) Hope you get one soon - we've now got 2!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings 52,000
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 3rd Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Aw shucks, thanks SW, you're lovely too! x

Hi Ladykernow - allotments are sooooo exciting (especially when you have a fab gardening beloved, who so far has done all the work, whilst I do the planning ) Hope you get one soon - we've now got 2!
    Originally posted by Kittikins
    We've got a half plot now. It's riddled with weeds but the weather has been so terrible that we haven't been able to always go over there. My partner is much better at digging than me!
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 3rd Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Wombled 2 receipts today. One I found on the street walking back to the car with my colleague who said very loudly 'you are so weird!' I've taken that as a compliment. Most of my colleagues know how frugal I try to be. I've had the comment of, 'Ask LK if she wants it, she might use it for something'.

Another colleague is saving up for australia and told me she's 'turning into me' in regards to money saving. Buying in the sales, trying to get a good deal. Bringing her own lunch. I'm glad that I have a positive effect on some people.

Yesterday I spent 2.99 on Boots cough medicine as my partner and I have a slight cold/infection. I felt slightly guilty that I had to dip in, but then I thought, actually I needed it as we needed something to bring down the temperature and ease the pain. I'm still going into work, but it's not a pretty sight. Another colleague is off and I can't afford not to work.

The survey sites are going ok. I've been using them passively and trying to do a bit on each site a few minutes a day. (If anyone wants a referral let me know!) Mr K thinks i'm a bit mad, but actually, i'm usually doing something else with it like writing or watching something on netflix.

Also Mr K sold a lamp on gumtree for 5 We got it free from someone ages ago, but it's always got in the way!
    Last edited by Ladykernow; 03-01-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 8th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    I had a slight fail on Saturday night. I went out for a colleagues birthday and spend 20.66 on my meal. It was an all you can eat. But I felt guilty after.

But i'm back on the no spend challenge. So fingers crossed i'll keep going. I've been trying to take a packed lunch every day to work and refusing to give into the hunger bug.

My partner thinks saving 5000 on my salary isn't doable. So it makes me even more determined that I can do it. I just can't go having another take out for a while!
    Last edited by Ladykernow; 09-01-2018 at 6:43 PM.
    • wadewilson
    • By wadewilson 9th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wadewilson
    good saving plan, keep trying
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 13th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    I've not had a great day at work, which has pushed me into looking for another job again. I felt like I was being ignored and made to feel useless by my boss. It's 3 months notice though that I have to give. Which is handy in one way, but bad in the other. Had a massive cry when I got home. I have a week off now, so i'm going to keep looking for interview opportunities.

Sorry for the rant!

Not spent a penny this week! Hurray! But I do need to do our weekly shop again. Looks like we've gone through everything in the house already. I'm sure I did a shop this week, or maybe it was last weekend.

I've noticed for a while that my eyesight has got bad, I need new glasses. I have thick lenses so I have to go for thinning. Trying to put some money aside for it as I will definitely need new glasses again soon.

I've been working on my survey money this week, as well as trying to get some university bits done too. I haven't earned a great deal, not sure how some people do. But I figure every little helps, and it's all just passive that I do.

We are planning to go up to the allotment tomorrow too. See how it's looking. I can't wait to get growing on there.

Lady K
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 13,388 Posts
    • 46,878 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on having a no spend week. I hope you have a good day at the allotment.

I wonder if our bosses are related.lol. If only there were more nice one's! I hope you manage to find a nice job.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 17th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    I'm really enjoying having a week off work. Don't want to go back! The landlord is coming over today to look at the leak in the bathroom. I need to do a bit of a tidy up before he comes over.

I had my eye test, I actually work in an Opticians so I got a free test. I did look at some glasses, but I'm not particularly keen on the styles. It is 70% off though. The ones I found were meant to be 340, but I could get them for 102. But I don't have enough in my bank to pay for them this month. Then again, i'm not even sure I want to stay there, so I may not even get the discount.

Tomorrow I have two interviews. I'm still not sure whether I want to go for them if I get it. One advertised in my town, and now there isn't any vacancies there, and it's 20 minutes away. The other one is really a back up, that I have lots of experience for, seeing as I did it for 8 years, but I don't really want to go back to it. I'll go for the interview anyway to build up my interview skills.

Friday I have the dentist and getting my new car. The finance was ending on my other one.

I've made a couple of quid from surveys this week. Currently on 393/5000, i'm scrimping and saving as much as I can!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    • 13,388 Posts
    • 46,878 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good luck with interviews. Exciting about the new car.

Enjoy the rest of your week off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,615Posts Today

8,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin