Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 19th Nov 16, 1:20 PM
    • 5,741Posts
    • 25,357Thanks
    redmel1621
    Housing benefit home visit - anyone else?
    • 19th Nov 16, 1:20 PM
    Housing benefit home visit - anyone else? 19th Nov 16 at 1:20 PM
    Hi.

I am after some advice please. Yesterday we received a letter stating that an appointment has been made for officer to visit us at home. It says this is in order to discuss the benefits cap and drop in our housing benefit
    The letter states we need to provide our income details as we will also have a benefits review done.

This all seems very strange as we have only just had a review done 4th November, and we are fully aware of how the benefit cap will affect us, as they have previously sent us a letter explaining this.

We phoned and spoke to them and the lady we spoke to claims that it is a legal requirement of theirs to visit EVERY household that the cap affects. I find this rather unbelievable as there is no way they have the resources and manpower to do this. She also claimed that we (and everyone else in the country) are supposed to be having 6 monthly visits to our home.... again, I find that highly unlikely.

Has anyone else had this letter?
    Do I have to have this visit?

I queried the fact that we have only just had a review, but she was just evasive and kept repeating that we have to have this home visit as a legal requirement....

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    Last edited by redmel1621; 19-11-2016 at 1:43 PM.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

Page 2
    • Kaspar5
    • By Kaspar5 4th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kaspar5
    It is really strange. I am receiving HB from Rotherham MBC, and have received a letter that there will be a visit from Job Centre from Sheffield, even we have a Job Centre in Rotherham.

Will ask a friend to attend this visit as a witness and will record it as well. Visit is due on 6th of March 2018
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Mar 18, 7:52 AM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 11,765 Thanks
    marliepanda
    It is really strange. I am receiving HB from Rotherham MBC, and have received a letter that there will be a visit from Job Centre from Sheffield, even we have a Job Centre in Rotherham.

Will ask a friend to attend this visit as a witness and will record it as well. Visit is due on 6th of March 2018
    Originally posted by Kaspar5
    Record it? What on Earth.

Expect them to leave your premises. Nobody should go to work and be recorded by a claimants friend. Nobody.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 8,329 Posts
    • 6,141 Thanks
    pmduk
    I suspect the next step will be an 'invitation' to meet them at their premises. Why on earth be inflammatory unless you're hiding something?
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 5th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens

Originally posted by Kaspar5
    There are random visits to check the accuracy of the claim - sometimes they find fraud - sometimes they find the claimant isn't receiving everything they are entitled to - most claims there is nothing at all wrong with them and they are being paid correctly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin