Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 19th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    • 138Posts
    • 444Thanks
    excelpaul
    Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.
    • 19th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59. 19th Nov 16 at 12:08 PM
    I am setting up this thread as an ordinary everyday man moving towards full retirement.
    I say ordinary, in the sense that I am neither poor nor extremely well off. I have been reading these forums for several years especially the sections about savings and investment.
    Of course they provide lots of great support and advice but for the most part for people whose savings and pensions are the stuff of dreams for most of us. I do not say that as a criticism just as a point of fact. Indeed I nearly fell into the trap of measuring myself against other people in these threads and found myself becoming a little bitter and envious which I know is irrational! In my heart of hearts I know I am extremely fortunate. So I decided to set up this thread as therapy, a reality check and a genuine place for discussion for everyday folk approaching or into retirement. The emphasis initially will be on implications for finance and life plans for the next phase of our lives. It is not for advice but more for the sharing of ideas and experiences of other everyday folk. Let us see where it goes!

First of some background about myself. I taught full time for 35 years until August 31st this year. I am now working just under two and a half days a week until next June when the plan is to finish completely. By then I will be just shy of my 59th birthday. I took phased retirement at 55 and the rest of my pension at 58 albeit reduced. I took the maximum lump sum as it suited my needs. Of course such a decision was met by derision from the pension experts in the other place but to me quality of life has become much more important than maximising returns! I am very fortunate in having a defined benefit pension that is index linked. It was reduced owing to taking it early and also taking the maximum lump sum. I also have a very small annuity that pays the grand total of £37 after tax a month! However it is better than nothing! I have recently received a state pension forecast which owing to being contracted out for nearly all my working life is currently £119.54 a week from the age of 66 (due in 2024) As I am working until next June I will add another year !!!8216;contracted in!!!8217; this amount. When I finish work next June my income will be about £1350 a month after tax until 2024 (all at current prices) Quite interesting that although I will have contributed for 40 years to the state pension they only include(at the moment) the 35 !!!8216;contracted out!!!8217; years in my pension calculation and none of the others!

I co-own a house with my mother. My grandmother lives with us too, who is still going at the grand age of 101. Hopefully this means I may be retired for quite a while! My total share of the house will allow me in this area to buy myself a decent house in the future. (After other members of the family have received their share of the proceeds of the current one) Sounds morbid to talk like that but one has to be practical. I am debt free and the house is mortgage free too. We did some upgrades recently and have plans in hand to redo the drive and the kitchen in the next 2 to years. I may also need to change my car in the next couple of years. I have a lovely extended family that includes several nephews and nieces who are very special to me. Unfortunately I lost one of my sisters four years ago at the age of 42. She left 4 children. Such a tragic event certainly makes you re-address your priorities! Other illnesses in the family also provide timely reminders to enjoy life rather than worry too much about the finances!

I used part of my pension lump sum to clear the mortgage and all other debts. I had some left over and have done the following with it.
    • A Loyalty Saver. Easy access and includes emergency fund.
    • Cash ISA
    • S&S ISA (See this as long term and will not look at it for 8 years!)
    • Premium Bonds
    • Nationwide Regular Saver (5% at moment! Started with £500. Can add £500 a month for a year only)
    • Personal Current Account
    • Joint current account for all household expenses. (We all contribute each month to this)
    Hopefully by next June I will have total savings and investments of just under £50000 before my income drops by 50% as I give up work completely. It sounds healthy but I am planning on being around a long-time! I also want to travel. Any constructive comments about any of the above most welcome.

I do feel guilty about not having managed to save more during my working life but things happen. For example, I lost a lot of money during the property crash in London in the 1980s. Interest rates on mortgages were then 15%! I had to borrow to sell! Fortunately that is all behind me now and I have been fortunate to work solidly for 36 years. When I entered teaching I had little idea about the pension scheme. I do feel fortunate now.

To my shame I do worry about money and probably should not. I suppose as we approach retirement we all get nervous about the regular salary stopping. Of course I could always do supply in an emergency but after 36 years I feel I have done my bit! It!!!8217;s just in the past I went through some close financial calls. I do want to enjoy my retirement and tick some things off the to do list!
    I have planned my finances for after June 2017 and after all expenses and spending money should still be able to save some money each month.
    I also want to spend some savings travelling. I am keen to do the train journey across the Canadian Rockies as well as maybe spend some time renting a property in Cyprus an absolute favourite place of mine! We are fortunate that also my mother and grandmother also have adequate pension provision.

So that is my introduction. I am now just off to walk the dogs and then meet one of my nephews. I am fortunate that I live in a semi-rural area with plenty of countryside around me. Weather not looking too promising though. Have some schoolwork also to do. Working part-time has been great for getting the garden organised and actually being ahead with the Christmas shopping! As 2017 approaches I now need to plan more activities and long term aims for the retirement years.

I do hope you will join me on my journey and feel able to share aspects of yours too!

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by excelpaul; 19-11-2016 at 8:00 PM.
Page 20
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 23rd Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    excelpaul
    Returned a few days ago from Gibraltar after a very pleasant 4 day trip, even though it rained for 2 days. Really fed up with continuing wet and cold weather here in the uk. So much to do in the garden yet the soaked ground makes it impossible to do anything at the moment.
    Still not enjoying retirement to be honest. Did some more exam invigilation a couple of weeks ago which I enjoyed. Have made it known that I certainly wouldn't be averse to a couple of days a week teaching from September. I have decided if nothing is in the pipeline by June/July I will get down to serious job hunting.
    Coming out of an expensive time with annual payments for car, house, pets and fuel bills!
    Forming some updating plans for house but as loathe decorating and am completely useless at it this will mean more expense!
    To be honest very bored and miss company of other people of all ages. Family are fine but I need more chat argument and discussion. Spendingtoo much time surfing the internet and just sitting around,as well as early nights and late mornings! However have been walking the dogs as usual and still doing the swimming.
    Hopefully better weather and prospect of future work may help.
    Undergoing a makeover too, new style haircut and new glasses to combat aging! Fortunately I am in shape and the stomach is flat! If I ever developed one of the bellies so many men seem to have that would be the end! At least in that respect never drinking, smoking or eating excessively has paid off!
    Last edited by excelpaul; 23-03-2018 at 8:36 AM.
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 23rd Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    Paul,

I have been following your thread intermittently so I'm not sure if the suggestions below are of interest (or have been mentioned).

I am a little younger than you but have been an involuntary early retiree for some years. Boredom hit very quickly, and so did the need for more social/mental stimulation, so I returned to higher education and did a full-time masters. It was an excellent experience and one that I highly recommend. The cost may seem steep but it was a sound social and intellectual investment for me. There are all kinds of educational opportunities available and age is no barrier.

I also began volunteering three years ago. This has been a win-win as I have met many great people, and my social life has been further enriched whilst doing my bit for the community.

I am now pondering whether to join U3A and/or do something else educational.

Good luck with the job quest.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 23rd Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 24,397 Posts
    • 63,750 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Join U3A! Itís great!

I did supply for my first year of retirement, but by the second year I was involved with so many U3A groups that I didnít have time. We have made loads of friends.

Good excuse to turn down a maternity leave cover, with an inspection pending! The money would have been good, but thereís more to life.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 24th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    crv1963
    I'm still following the thread, still pondering if I should retire and do agency, find another role with my employer or try something completely different.

Looking forward to Easter weekend and going somewhere abroad with my youngest son for his 21st, quietly pleased he'd rather have a week with me than a party with his mates. Mind he has gone away to Amsterdam with them this weekend to celebrate! Still plan to just go to the Travel Agents on Thursday and see where we can go, simple rules- has to be hot (well hotter than UK), twin room and somewhere he hasn't been before!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • BoxerfanUK
    • By BoxerfanUK 25th Mar 18, 3:07 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    BoxerfanUK
    Newbie alert
    Hello everyone, hope you don 't mind me joining in this interesting thread, and thanks to excelpaul for starting it and being so open with your situation and thoughts.

A little about me. Just turned 59 and I will be retiring for good at the end of July after 35 years of public service, not in teaching I might add. Mrs Boxer is three years younger than me and although she has a responsible and stressful job at times, she feels she is not quite ready to put her feet up just yet, so I am going as the advance party to see what it 's like

I sort of retired once before, but didn 't, as due to the nature of my job I was fortunate enough to have the right to retire with an unreduced DB pension and 3x lump sum @ 55, which I did in early 2014.

With 41/80ths, I was 4 years short of my maximum attainable pension of 45/80 but the management role I was in was becoming increasingly stressful and I just wasn 't enjoying it anymore, so I took what was called formal retirement and was immediately re-employed with the same employer full time, but in a much lower grade and different job with ZERO stress.

My DB pension will be re-calculated at the end of July to add the extra 4/80ths, as well as some additional service payments. An added bonus is that due to reserved rights the extra 4 years will be calculated on my old salary before i took formal retirement in 2014, which was considerably more than my current salary, so win win.

Although I really do enjoy my current job, there just doesn 't seem to be enough hours left in the day to get everything done outside of work. In 2016 we moved house (last time hopefully) so I have plenty to do decorating, DIY and garden wise, plus we have two very lively dogs to walk which means that we take it in turns to get up at the crack of dawn to walk them before starting work, which is tiring for both of us at times. Me quitting work will relieve Mrs B of this duty and turn what at times can be a chore into a pleasure, especially with summer drawing closer.

So, as I really don 't need my salaried income I felt it was time to call it a day. Also, psychologically, for years I 've had it in my head that I was going to retire in my fifties, so it looks like I 'm just going to just scrape through

Financially we are in a good situation, no debts other than a mortgage which we are overpaying and is on target to be paid at the end of March 2020.

Even after I finish work, with Mrs B still working we will be able to save a considerable (for us) sum each month. She also contributes to a company DC pension, for which she is currently salary sacrificing. With her employer contribution she is paying in the maximum allowable per year at the moment and we are aiming for her pot to be worth around 250-300K in three or so years. When Mrs B comes to retire we do not plan to take an annuity, instead she will take the 25% TFLS and go into drawdown, drawing down just enough each month to stay within her tax free allowance.

I have to agree with some of the things excelpaul said at the start of his thread about some posters on the pensions board. When you read some of the numbers that some band around on there it can at times leave one feeling somewhat envious and inadequate, which, as Paul says is totally irrational. We have worked hard all our lives and struggled at times in the past but now thankfully it 's finally coming together so as said, we are thankful for what we have.

Because I 've worked shifts for years I 've tended to be the one that does the shopping, tidies the house and does most of the household chores, although I draw the line at ironing, and my toilet cleaning regime lacks some discipline as Mrs B keeps reminding me, so I will soon be getting in plenty of practice.

I have also decided to start playing Golf again. I used to play at least twice a week but have played very little over the last few years. Some of my current and former colleagues play quite regularly, so it will be nice to catch up with retired ex workmates and also hear the gossip from work from those still walking the Hamster wheel

We enjoy our holidays and have a holiday home in Northern (Turkish) Cyprus which we currently go to around 3 times per year, which is not really enough but one day for longer God willing. We are also hoping to go to Sri-Lanka next year for my 60th. We love Cyprus but it 's also nice to go somewhere different sometimes.

TBH, I was going to retire a little earlier in 2018 but I have been contracted out for most of my working life so if I want to achieve the maximum on the new state pension (66 for me) then I have to either work and pay NI or pay voluntary class 3 NI until 2022. Extending working until the end of July will credit me another full year NI stamp for the 2018/19 tax year, so I won 't have to start voluntary contributions until April 2019.

Although 31st July is my last official day, I will actually finish on 30th May due to the amount of hours and Annual leave I am owed, so I shall just sit at home while they continue to pay my salary for the last 9 weeks. HAPPY DAYS.

I 've enjoyed reading everyone 's thoughts, ideas and aspirations and although I will admit to having had one or two reservations at times as to whether i 'm doing the right thing, deep down I know that I am, as i 've never been the type to sit around and mope about.

There 's a new life ahead and I intend to grasp what I have left of it.
    Right, that 's the end of my ramble to all of you and keep your thoughts and ideas coming.
    Last edited by BoxerfanUK; 25-03-2018 at 3:01 PM.
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 25th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    excelpaul
    Hi Boxerfanuk
    Welcome to the thread and many thanks for your informative and thoughtful post!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 25th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 38,892 Posts
    • 35,726 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Still plan to just go to the Travel Agents on Thursday and see where we can go, simple rules- has to be hot (well hotter than UK), twin room and somewhere he hasn't been before!
    Originally posted by crv1963
    If he hasn't been to any or all of the Canary Islands, may I commend them to your attention ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 26th Mar 18, 12:01 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 2,749 Thanks
    Newly retired
    It is a few months since I posted on here. My position has not changed at all in the past year I.e I am still not managing to cross anything off my bucket list.
    Last year I was involved in a local project which took up a lot of time, but is finished now. Over the winter I have not done much, and been quite content to spend time in the house. I have progressed with my family history.
    But this weekend we had some decent weather at last and I am feeling cross with myself that I didnít make the most of it. DH has not been very well so was not up to going out, as well as it being the first weekend of Formula One, which took care of Sat and Sun afternoons.
    Maybe I am going to have to just do my own thing and leave him to do his. I can foresee a time when I may have to curtail my activities to look after him, so perhaps I need to do more now whilst I can.
    I have booked a summer trip for us both and another one for myself later on, at least. I wish I had a friend to go with.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 26th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 30,056 Thanks
    bugslet
    Hello Boxerfan, good post. I hope it works out well for you and I do think starting retirement in the summer months ( whatever summer is!), must be a better introduction into retirement.

exelpaul, are there any interests that you could turn into a small paying hobby? As I've said before I think, I've wanted to do garden design for some time and always thought that as a small side business it would be enjoyable.

I did a retiring early thread on a womans forum I am on, mostly ladies that are older than me and the word that came up again and again, was structure. I think you are in the gap between finishing work and finding your retirement feet - I expect what you are going through to happen to me if/when I retire.

It's also quite interesting to see how many people in the FIRE community who do finish early, then end up going back to work in some shape or format.
    • LinBWales
    • By LinBWales 26th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    LinBWales
    Really fascinating thread, thank you. Reading through it has confirmed my decision to take early retirement in May next year, when I will be a few months off 57. I want to travel while I am still young enough to enjoy it and get around solo, but I also have arthritis which makes walking quite painful, and it is only getting worse. So I am making plans to spend some of my lump sum on paying off my mortgage and on a mammoth trip to Australia. I am lucky that this will still leave me with a reasonable pension that will cover my living expenses and still have enough left over.

I do want to work part time when I come back from my Australian trip, but not sure what I want to do. Any ideas welcome :-) I don't have to work but I think I may need a reason to get up at least a couple of mornings a week. I have lost both my parents in the last few years, and after dad died, I signed mum up to U3A which she really enjoyed. So I am also planning on exploring what they offer in my area.

I am also thinking about downsizing to release some more capital when I reach my 60s, as I am rattling round in a house that is really too big for one person.

Anyway all your very positive stories have given me hope that I am making the right decision. Spurred on by the deaths of several friends, all taken before their time, who never got to enjoy their retirements.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 31st Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    crv1963
    If he hasn't been to any or all of the Canary Islands, may I commend them to your attention ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue

Well I went down and we're booked for our holiday- flying from our local airport tomorrow, so no long drive before we go. We are off to Tenerife for a week.

There wasn't much choice- nor did I really expect there to be with it being the Easter weekend and the snow still coming down here. The travel agent explained to me probably the best deals are either book really early or 6-8 weeks before you fly.

Our choices were Turkey all inclusive or Tenerife self catering, being of the generation that needs mobile devices surgically removed my son chose Tenerife because there are no additional charges for using phones and it has free wifi! Not that I'm upset at going there at all, a chance to catch up with family out there and if we weren't going away I'd have to buy food anyway. All told including a 2 day pass each to a waterpark it's come in at a shade over £1700, but £100 in fees for designated seats and luggage and £90 for park tickets so not too bad, then a shade under £200 for Mrs CRV flights.

Looking forward to leaving the snow behind, and he's already planning our next jaunt abroad, he fancies taking a couple of long weekend city breaks between July and November. Mrs CRV is booked for a 5 night break at the end of April to visit her Dad in Tenerife so all round so far everyone is happy. Mind she did point out we've a 40kg luggage allowance as opposed to her 6kg allowance, but she wont have to wait for hers to be unloaded from the plane!

With all these trips I'm going to start my Christmas shopping, going to buy a couple of bottles of duty free and put them away. I nearly had another heart attack at the price of T-shirts and shorts, so a quick trawl of the charity shops locally meant that I now have a new holiday wardrobe for under £40, all designer labels, not that I am tight but really who pays £35 for a T-shirt?

Edit: Two phone calls from work offering overtime at double rates today and tomorrow! It could only happen to me, turned down so I can do my ironing and packing!
    Last edited by crv1963; 31-03-2018 at 9:31 AM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 1st Apr 18, 7:21 AM
    • 33,409 Posts
    • 39,529 Thanks
    Browntoa
    So I've finally joined you lot as retired at 59 , my job was going which would have meant retraining and possibly being forced into a job I'd hate and I was fed up with the long commute to London .

I've been reading the thread to pick up tips .

I've been lucky enough to get redundancy so have a years cushion as I plan to find part time work more to give me structure and social interaction so still count myself as retired as I'm not working as necessity but choice. I'm also doing some regular volunteering to keep active.

Luckily a former colleague did the same a couple of years ago and has sent me a tick list of things to do like ring the tax people in May as getting a lump redundancy payment in may makes them put you on higher rate tax on the assumption you will earn that every month .

Thank you to multiple posters in the thread for various pointers
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 4th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 55,607 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I've just passed the 6 months of retirement mark and have had a bit of a setback healthwise.

It seems to have stemmed from being left in limbo between finishing the decorating and DIY indoors and wanting to start the garden. The weather has put paid to the garden work for now, snow, rain, hail, wind, freezing bloody cold And on top of that there's been a couple of other things that have stressed me up to the eyeballs

I have been festering indoors since January, finding myself without a project to work on and having far too much thinking time which has resulted in me getting overly anxious about every little thing.

My Doctor has been brilliant and has sent me for every test under the sun, all results have come back as normal, there is nothing sinister going on, so that's good news.

I just need to give myself a kick up the jacksey and get on with things. Having got the test results back I am now feeling much more positive and am looking forward to better weather (surely it HAS to get better soon?) so I can get stuck in outside!
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 13th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    I am enjoying work. When I want a day off, I do not ring in sick, I just say I need a day off, and guess what, I get it off.
    All I do is minibus school kids, so it is only term time. I thought it would be easy to want to retire when I drew down all my pensions. Only pension pot left is a small amount in auto enrolment, I am in process of deciding what to do with it.
    So for now, as they are desperately short of drivers, I can do as I please. I am going to get some t shirts saying.....what you gonna do, fire me!
    But seriously, as I am a mad keen gardener, and the weather is warming up, I just might say stuff it.
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 13th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    excelpaul
    CommyTooper
    I find your post rather flippant and I am not sure of its purpose. Please clarify what point you are trying to make. To be honest I would be rather worried if you were carrying my child in your minibus with your don't care less attitude. If you have nothing useful to say please refrain from posting.
    • bournefree
    • By bournefree 15th Apr 18, 6:13 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    bournefree
    90 days to go
    Hello everyone. Well, having decided a year ago to take voluntary severance at the end of July 2018 it is finally approaching! It has been a rollercoaster over the last two years workwise. I wasn't sure that I had made the right decision at the time, but now it is beginning to feel that the time is right. There is only so much continual change and uncertainty that you can take. I will be 59.5 when I leave, and will need to find some work to make up the shortfall between now and 66, when my State Pension will kick in. After having to spend 2 hours a day travelling to work and back, I'd like something very local and probably part-time, so I can at last have a life after 36 years in teaching! I want to do something that will help others and bring in a little money. The thought of not working and having some job income is scary!
    MFW #59 2017 target met, now mortgage free!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Apr 18, 7:23 AM
    • 25,851 Posts
    • 94,173 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I've just passed the 6 months of retirement mark and have had a bit of a setback healthwise.

It seems to have stemmed from being left in limbo between finishing the decorating and DIY indoors and wanting to start the garden. The weather has put paid to the garden work for now, snow, rain, hail, wind, freezing bloody cold
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    I wonder if you have been suffering with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

It was something we became aware of when the pressures of work eased-off somewhat, before moving to a completely different environment, where sunlight wasn't restricted by buildings and trees.

Nowadays, my lifestyle sees me outdoors each day, even in the depths of winter. It might not be for very long if the weather's inclement, but I have to do a certain amount; come rain, come shine. That hopeless feeling I'd have as the days shorten in early November no longer troubles me, although I'm as glad as the next person when the green shoots appear and the first swallow appears above the house!

The problem is maybe finding a reason to go outdoors in winter. A dog? A self-imposed fitness regime? A new skill, like photography? There must be better options than hedge-laying and mucking out!
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 15th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 55,607 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I wonder if you have been suffering with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

It was something we became aware of when the pressures of work eased-off somewhat, before moving to a completely different environment, where sunlight wasn't restricted by buildings and trees.

Nowadays, my lifestyle sees me outdoors each day, even in the depths of winter. It might not be for very long if the weather's inclement, but I have to do a certain amount; come rain, come shine. That hopeless feeling I'd have as the days shorten in early November no longer troubles me, although I'm as glad as the next person when the green shoots appear and the first swallow appears above the house!

The problem is maybe finding a reason to go outdoors in winter. A dog? A self-imposed fitness regime? A new skill, like photography? There must be better options than hedge-laying and mucking out!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I've got a dog that I walk for a couple of hours a day, whatever the weather. It's not that. It was too much thinking time, getting paranoid over ridiculous things and having an over active imagination

Seems to be sorted now though, plus the weather has improved. Unfortunately I now have a physical problem, caused by the afore mentioned mutt, that is preventing me from doing very much, but that too will pass. I'm feeling much more positive than I was
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 25th Apr 18, 9:28 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    crv1963
    Well after my enjoyable week in Tenerife Mrs CRV is now there for a few days with her Dad. We now have an offer from our niece to house sit for us if we want to go away and she's confident and able to care for our diabetic dog! So we may get a week away together in September!

Retirement planning is ongoing, I can go in October at 55 but if I work until I'm 58 I get my pension boosted by 12%, I'm also looking to change roles, hopefully to one that pays shift allowance so getting another boost, I don't want to slip into the one more year trap but when faced with actually giving notice to retire it does seem rather final and a little unnerving!

I've put a couple of applications in for new roles so will wait and see if I get called for interviews. If not it's back to plan A, take pension and work agency for a few years!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 26th Apr 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,932 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I have booked a summer trip for us both and another one for myself later on, at least. I wish I had a friend to go with.
    Originally posted by Newly retired
    Just to say book a holiday that caters for singles, or a cruise (lots of singles there) Generally folk who are used to travelling alone are very out-going, so you are very likely to make new friends that way
    Or pick a holiday with Saga or an activity holiday such as cookery, painting etc.

I've been travelling alone for years- not a problem.
    Enjoy!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4342 cc+.2415mm (£2.41.5) + RK £5.21= £30.64.5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

5,315Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin