Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• fatbeetle
    Options
    13 woking/whoring days to go!!!!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    joansgirl wrote: »

I have no plans for holidays, they just don't interest me. Just being able to do my own "stuff" is like a lifelong holiday for me :)

I feel more or less like that, there are a couple of places I'd like to see not having been abroad for 26 years. people do look at me a bit oddley when Isay that, you'd think there was a law that said you have to like travelling!
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    22 working days to go....

Not that I'm counting or anything.....

Oh yes you are:D
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I feel more or less like that, there are a couple of places I'd like to see not having been abroad for 26 years. people do look at me a bit oddley when Isay that, you'd think there was a law that said you have to like travelling!

I get a bit sick of that kind of attitude to be honest. People ask how is retirement, what are you doing with yourself all day. And when I tell them I'm decorating or tackling a DIY project they look horrified and ask....."Aren't you taking it easy then?"

Ermmmm, nope, the whole point of retiring early is so I'm still capable of doing the things I want to get done. And I do actually enjoy decorating/DIY/gardening. I now have the time to do things properly and when I'm done I can step back and say...."I did that"

Of course there are the occasional disasters where I step back and say...."Oh gawd, did I really do that?" :rotfl:
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I spent my inheritance (when I was orphaned) on improving and retirement proofing my 1929 semi. It gave me sleepless nights at the time. I was on my own, fairly newly bereaved too. Then when I met my wonderful second husband (also bereaved, so he ‘got it’) I spent the rest on our wedding and a trip to New Zealand. Luckily we have very similar views about travel. My second Mr Right came to live in my house, and we both love it. We have a splendid 180 degree view, which we can enjoy every day from our terrace, or from our armchairs in inclement weather. Friends of ours are off almost every other month, sitting on somebody else’s terrace, looking at someone else’s view, and drinking a bottle of wine that cost 5x what ours did. And they are forever !!!!!ing about the angst of airports, parking, delayed flights etc! We have a new pup, and we’re sort of thinking about dog friendly hols in the UK next year, but will also be quite happy to stay here and welcome friends and family to enjoy our garden with us.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • fatbeetle
    Options
    I've volunteered to "work" one day extra, it's a Saturday, and I'll be paid it at overtime rates...

12 working days left then....
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • bugslet
    Options
    Misslayed wrote: »
    I spent my inheritance (when I was orphaned) on improving and retirement proofing my 1929 semi. It gave me sleepless nights at the time. I was on my own, fairly newly bereaved too. Then when I met my wonderful second husband (also bereaved, so he ‘got it’) I spent the rest on our wedding and a trip to New Zealand. Luckily we have very similar views about travel. My second Mr Right came to live in my house, and we both love it. We have a splendid 180 degree view, which we can enjoy every day from our terrace, or from our armchairs in inclement weather. Friends of ours are off almost every other month, sitting on somebody else’s terrace, looking at someone else’s view, and drinking a bottle of wine that cost 5x what ours did. And they are forever !!!!!ing about the angst of airports, parking, delayed flights etc! We have a new pup, and we’re sort of thinking about dog friendly hols in the UK next year, but will also be quite happy to stay here and welcome friends and family to enjoy our garden with us.

Airports are enough to sap the strongest of wills! I actually like traveling, it's mostly getting somewhere and staying there that bores me. Did do some fly drives to Florida in the 80s-90s and they were good; stay somewhere and move on after a day or two.

You're just demob happy fatbeetle:D
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    I've volunteered to "work" one day extra, it's a Saturday, and I'll be paid it at overtime rates...

12 working days left then....

Enjoy them and then move on to pastures new!!

You'll be retired for Christmas and all the madness that means...

Seriously 'though. a new style life on the horizon. :rotfl:Amazing
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just an update on our retirement. Both of us are extremely happy, we garden , walk , drive,cook , shop, watch tv, go to Antiques sales,Market day, do loads of work in the house ready for the Winter months, sorting out Christmas,looking after my very elderly parents and generally enjoying each others company. I can honestly say that I don't know how the hell we managed to work before! Hope everyone is very happy and well too. We don't want to go abroad either, just very simple folk enjoying our quiet lives together . Bring it on!!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • bugslet
    Options
    That sound perfect sukysue, I'm well jel!:p
  • fatbeetle
    Options
    Lovely sukysue, I hope to follow your path soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure