Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    • 9,265Posts
    • 22,117Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question 18th Nov 16 at 1:05 PM
    If you need help with your debts, this is the thread for you.

Trained advisers from StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) are here and waiting to answer your debt questions. They're a friendly bunch so please don't be shy!

There are three ways to get in touch:

1 - Simply post your question below and the team will reply. If your question is about bankruptcy, then pop over to the Bankruptcy board.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private, feel free to send a message to StepChange Private Messages.

3 - StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an adviser through online chat.

If you're a StepChange Debt Charity client already, please contact its Aftercare team rather than posting in this thread (their contact details are in your Welcome Pack).

If you're self employed and need debt help please get in touch with Business Debtline.

This is discussion thread part four, see parts one, two and three.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-07-2018 at 2:41 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 42
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Youíre welcome, Iím glad you found this helpful.

It sounds like the claim you received before may not be genuine. Iíd definitely get in touch with the court to get confirmation, and make a complaint to the private parking company if you were sent a fake claim form.

The good news is that DCBL are definitely acting as debt collectors in this case. I recommend getting in touch with to set up a payment arrangement with them. This will avoid any further action, for example a genuine County Court claim being served on you.

Take care

Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for replying.

I!!!8217;ll phone the court up tomorrow and ask them if the claim is genuine

I did notice on the reverse of the letter sent from !!!8216;DCBL!!!8217; a statement that read: !!!8220;This case is not subject to High Court or Baliff action!!!8221; - could this relate to your point of the claim not being genuine?

Ill double check with them tomorrow as they are currently closed

Thanks again!
    Originally posted by JPoultz
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message.

Iím sorry to hear youíve been struggling with your spending. However, itís great that youíve noticed that your spending habits are compulsive and rooted in how youíre feeling. Noticing the cause of a problem is the first step to managing it.

Iíve done some research and there doesnít seem to be much out there specifically geared towards compulsive spending. Thereís some general information on getting help with compulsive behaviour on the NHS website, and thereís an organisation called Debtors Anonymous who may be able to give you some guidance.

However, your compulsive spending may be a symptom of an underlying problem, rather than the main problem itself. Iíd first recommend speaking to your GP about your spending behaviour. They may be able to give you some advice and support on how best to tackle this from a mental health and well-being point-of-view.

Even if the debt isnít increasing, itís still a problem that it isnít decreasing. Eventually the 0% period will end and the minimum payments may become unaffordable. If youíre able to regain control of your finances before the 0% period ends, the debt will be easier to manage in the long-term.

Iíd recommend getting in touch with StepChange, as theyíll definitely be able to give you some advice and support with this. A good place to start is building a budget on their online Debt Remedy self-help tool. This is available 24 hours a day and takes about 20 minutes to complete. The tool will guide you through creating a budget and will then offer the best debt solution for your situation.

I hope youíve found this helpful.

Thanks

Joe

Hi.
    Originally posted by Anoneemoose
    I just wondered if there was any know help for compulsive/emotional spending? I know there is loads of help on how to get in touch woth creditors etc, but I havenít seen anything for addressing the actual spending issues in the first place.
    We have debt, which is on 0% for a long time and weíre not increasing it, however weíre not decreasing it much either and a lot of it is because we just spend without thinking. Particularly me. I donít work because I have chronic illnesses and also because of that, I donít have many friends. As such, I often fill in my time by spending. Not always massive amounts, but it all adds up
    We use YNAB to record everything, but instead of looking at the budget amounts before spending, we just spend and then move around categories.
    We have a decent income with reasonable fixed expenses, so on paper we should be fine..but weíre just cycling debt.
    Any ideas would be welcome!
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 11th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Hello

Thanks for your message.

Iím sorry to hear youíve been struggling with your spending. However, itís great that youíve noticed that your spending habits are compulsive and rooted in how youíre feeling. Noticing the cause of a problem is the first step to managing it.

Iíve done some research and there doesnít seem to be much out there specifically geared towards compulsive spending. Thereís some general information on getting help with compulsive behaviour on the NHS website, and thereís an organisation called Debtors Anonymous who may be able to give you some guidance.

However, your compulsive spending may be a symptom of an underlying problem, rather than the main problem itself. Iíd first recommend speaking to your GP about your spending behaviour. They may be able to give you some advice and support on how best to tackle this from a mental health and well-being point-of-view.

Even if the debt isnít increasing, itís still a problem that it isnít decreasing. Eventually the 0% period will end and the minimum payments may become unaffordable. If youíre able to regain control of your finances before the 0% period ends, the debt will be easier to manage in the long-term.

Iíd recommend getting in touch with StepChange, as theyíll definitely be able to give you some advice and support with this. A good place to start is building a budget on their online Debt Remedy self-help tool. This is available 24 hours a day and takes about 20 minutes to complete. The tool will guide you through creating a budget and will then offer the best debt solution for your situation.

Thanks

Joe
    Originally posted by StepChange_Joe
    Thank you.

I donít think itís something I would need to the GP about just yet. I think compulsive is probably a bit of a strong description, more like lazy and blas!, if that makes sense! I think both my husband and I need to discuss and investigate everything instead of us being so lax about it. Although we use YNAB, itís been more of a spending diary than a budget tool the way it should. And just because my husband doesn't purchase quite as many things as me, thatís often due to circumstance and the fact that Iím home and heís not.

Itís funny because when we had a smaller income around a decade ago, we had no debt!!

I might give debtors anonymous a try..or possibly even start a diary on here so I can be accountable and actually aware, instead of just ďwhateverĒ about it all.

Thanks again!
    • Willwallsend
    • By Willwallsend 11th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willwallsend
    Hi all I have recieved this letter today.
    What do I do for the best? It's about 3/4 year old debt and I'm worried.
    I've not taken any action so far as it's all confusing.

I can't upload the photo on this forum so copy and paste the below link to view.
    It's a county court business centre letter
    ibb.co/kfZMP8
    Last edited by Willwallsend; 11-07-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 11th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10,805 Posts
    • 6,269 Thanks
    CIS
    Hi all I have recieved this letter today.
    What do I do for the best? It's about 3/4 year old debt and I'm worried.
    I've not taken any action so far as it's all confusing.
    [IMG]ibb.co/kfZMP8[/IMG]
    Originally posted by Willwallsend

Don't ignore it otherwise they will obtain a default judgment for a CCJ and that will add to your problem. You only have 14 days to acknowledge it with the court and file a defence (extended to 28 days if you acknowledge the receipt and need more time for the defence) if you want to dispute it.
    Last edited by CIS; 11-07-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Willwallsend
    • By Willwallsend 11th Jul 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willwallsend
    Hi thanks for the reply. Will it be best to tell them I owe them the money and offer 5 pound a month?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 11th Jul 18, 1:59 PM
    • 10,805 Posts
    • 6,269 Thanks
    CIS
    Hi thanks for the reply. Will it be best to tell them I owe them the money and offer 5 pound a month?
    Originally posted by Willwallsend
    If you wish to admit that you owe the money and you want to make an offer of payment you can complete the N9A admission form that came in the pack.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Youíre very welcome.

Absolutely, perhaps the over-spending could be reduced or avoided with a more pro-active approach to budgeting.

Iíd definitely recommend checking out the budgeting tool on the StepChange website. Itíll allow you to build a budget, and also give you some advice on how best to manage the debts once the budget is complete.

Thanks

Joe

Thank you.

I donít think itís something I would need to the GP about just yet. I think compulsive is probably a bit of a strong description, more like lazy and blas!, if that makes sense! I think both my husband and I need to discuss and investigate everything instead of us being so lax about it. Although we use YNAB, itís been more of a spending diary than a budget tool the way it should. And just because my husband doesn't purchase quite as many things as me, thatís often due to circumstance and the fact that Iím home and heís not.

Itís funny because when we had a smaller income around a decade ago, we had no debt!!

I might give debtors anonymous a try..or possibly even start a diary on here so I can be accountable and actually aware, instead of just ďwhateverĒ about it all.

Thanks again!

• Sarahlou1983
    • By Sarahlou1983 12th Jul 18, 10:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarahlou1983
    Judgment for claimant
    Please someone help...

My husband has received a letter apparently from the county court saying there is judgement for claimant and he has to pay Lowell £100 a month to a total of £2150.79.

Is this a CCJ, do we have to pay this?

I have never acknowledged any previous letter from them as I have heard they are bullies.

Thank you xx
    • Sarahlou1983
    • By Sarahlou1983 12th Jul 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarahlou1983
    12th Jul 18, 9:40 AM
    SARAHLOU1983
    View public profile
    Find more posts
    View all thanked posts
    Add to contacts
    Please someone help...

My husband has received a letter apparently from the county court saying there is judgement for claimant and he has to pay Lowell £100 a month to a total of £2150.79.

I have never acknowledged any previous letter from them as I have heard they are bullies.

Thank you xx
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message.

I saw your private message about the CCJ before I saw this post, so I responded to that first.

Just in case youíre checking this response first, here was my reply:

Firstly, your husband should contact the county court named on the letter heís received, and quote the claim number. Theyíll be able to confirm whether or not this is a genuine CCJ claim. If it isnít, he can make a complaint to Lowell. Lowell Financial are regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority, so to operate they have to act fairly.

However, itís more than likely a genuine CCJ. If the court has set the installment order at £100 a month, then theyíve issued a Ďjudgement in defaultí. This is when the N9A claim form hasnít been returned in time or at all, so the creditor requests judgment at a rate they want, and the court set it at this amount.

Not paying this could mean the court then instructs an enforcement agent to visit your property, or set an attachment of earnings, where payments are deducted directly from his wages. However, if he canít afford the installment order of £100, he should complete and sign an N245 form, and send to the court. This will vary the installment order made by the court, setting the payment at a more affordable amount. There is a £50 court fee for this, but depending on his income, he could get help with this.

Thereís some really useful information on the above on the StepChange website.

If he needs some further debt advice, a good place to start is the online Debt Remedy self-help tool. This is available 24 hours a day and takes about 20 minutes to complete. The tool will guide you through creating a budget and will then offer the best debt solution for your situation.

I hope you've found this helpful.

Joe

Please someone help...

Thank you xx
    Originally posted by Sarahlou1983

• Rikki1
    • By Rikki1 13th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rikki1
    Need some advice I have £300,000 equity in my home but I have serious credit problems I have missed mortgage payments and a couple of ccjs on my file I lost my job so got in trouble financially if I could remortgage and take out £15,000 I would be debt free but donít know what to do!
    • Madcatsazz
    • By Madcatsazz 13th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Madcatsazz
    Hello. This is my first post so apologies if I!!!8217;ve picked the wrong place to ask. If so, please feel free to redirect me!

I enlisted a PPI claims company in January (I know) and quickly realised that I didn!!!8217;t need them and I got very annoyed with the constant texts call and emails so I cancelled on 13/3/18. They continued messaging, calling and emailing me about claims which I ignored after they advised there would be a cancellation fee. Yesterday they finally sent a cancellation response and kindly attached a bill for £204. I accept I have no choice but to pay this amount for the work they did (though it hurts some to accept it costs £36 to !!!8216;process a response!!!8217; and another £36 to send a letter). I have phoned them today and advised I am willing to pay but can not afford to pay in one go. I have offered £51 per month for four months to settle the debt which I feel is reasonable as it would take them this long to refer it and they would lose money to the credit company. It also took them four months to issue the invoice in the first place. They have rejected my offer and told me the only way to avoid the charge is to continue with them. I have refused to continue with them as I am unhappy with their service so they remain steadfast in requesting payment with 14 days. I have sent payment of £51 as offered anyway and emailed advising I cannot pay more than offered but reiterated that I will pay over four months. I don!!!8217;t know what else I can do. Any advice welcome (except please don!!!8217;t tell me I!!!8217;m stupid for signing up because I realise that already)
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message, and welcome to the forum.

If you're struggling with your mortgage payment and are in arrears, your lender will want to help you. They can offer different types of help which is why it's so important to contact them directly as soon as possible. Ask them for some breathing space while you figure out how to improve the situation and get back up to date. Thereís a useful article on the StepChange website about this Ė click here to read it.

It sounds like thereís a lot going on at the moment, so I think a good place to start is to get in touch with StepChange. Theyíll be able to provide you with free and impartial debt advice thatís tailored to your situation.

The first step is to build a budget. You can do this using their anonymous online self-help tool, Debt Remedy. This is available 24 hours a day and takes about 20 minutes to complete. The tool will guide you through creating a budget and will then offer the best debt solution for you.

Joe

Need some advice I have £300,000 equity in my home but I have serious credit problems I have missed mortgage payments and a couple of ccjs on my file I lost my job so got in trouble financially if I could remortgage and take out £15,000 I would be debt free but donít know what to do!
    Originally posted by Rikki1

• StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forum.

If you feel youíve been treated unfairly or dishonestly by this company, I suggest making a complaint to them via their internal complaints process. If youíre not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint or they donít respond within 8 weeks, you can escalate your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. Bear in mind that if you were planning on disputing the bill, you may have undermined your claim by making a payment towards the bill already.

You donít have to pay their bill all in one go if you canít afford to. The reason why theyíre holding their ground and insisting you pay as soon as possible is a) they want to get the payment from you in as short a time as possible and b) they know that they have very little power to make you pay more than youíre offering, other than following the debt collection process, which can cost them money and takes time. You can read more about this on the StepChange website by following this link and this link

Instead, keep paying them an affordable amount each month. They could of course keep adding charges, but theyíre more likely to stop the charges if you can prove that youíre unable to afford what theyíre asking for.

StepChange can help you put together a budget which will show what you can afford to pay to your debts. A good place to start is their online Debt Remedy tool. This is available 24 hours a day and takes about 20 minutes to complete. The tool will guide you through creating a budget and provide you with a copy of this you can send to the PPI claims company. Youíll also be able to download a personal action plan, containing some free, tailored and impartial advice on how to deal with the debt.

Joe

Hello. This is my first post so apologies if I!!!8217;ve picked the wrong place to ask. If so, please feel free to redirect me!

I enlisted a PPI claims company in January (I know) and quickly realised that I didn!!!8217;t need them and I got very annoyed with the constant texts call and emails so I cancelled on 13/3/18. They continued messaging, calling and emailing me about claims which I ignored after they advised there would be a cancellation fee. Yesterday they finally sent a cancellation response and kindly attached a bill for £204. I accept I have no choice but to pay this amount for the work they did (though it hurts some to accept it costs £36 to !!!8216;process a response!!!8217; and another £36 to send a letter). I have phoned them today and advised I am willing to pay but can not afford to pay in one go. I have offered £51 per month for four months to settle the debt which I feel is reasonable as it would take them this long to refer it and they would lose money to the credit company. It also took them four months to issue the invoice in the first place. They have rejected my offer and told me the only way to avoid the charge is to continue with them. I have refused to continue with them as I am unhappy with their service so they remain steadfast in requesting payment with 14 days. I have sent payment of £51 as offered anyway and emailed advising I cannot pay more than offered but reiterated that I will pay over four months. I don!!!8217;t know what else I can do. Any advice welcome (except please don!!!8217;t tell me I!!!8217;m stupid for signing up because I realise that already)
    Originally posted by Madcatsazz

• Madcatsazz
    • By Madcatsazz 13th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Madcatsazz
    Thank you for your advice. I do not particularly agree with their methods but I do not have grounds to complain hence the reason I have accepted that I need to pay.

In relation to the arrangement, they are still refusing to accept the arrangement as I had an email declining. I have written back requesting they give me an explanation as to why they are declining the offer and requested they reconsider.

In terms of them referring the debt and adding costs to the bill if I donít clear it in 14 days, will I have to pay those costs even though Iíve offered to pay and am showing them Iím paying?
  • StepChange_Allen
    Thank you for your advice. I do not particularly agree with their methods but I do not have grounds to complain hence the reason I have accepted that I need to pay.

In relation to the arrangement, they are still refusing to accept the arrangement as I had an email declining. I have written back requesting they give me an explanation as to why they are declining the offer and requested they reconsider.

In terms of them referring the debt and adding costs to the bill if I donít clear it in 14 days, will I have to pay those costs even though Iíve offered to pay and am showing them Iím paying?
    Originally posted by Madcatsazz

Hi there

Thanks for posting.

In general, creditors can continue adding interest and charges even if an informal arrangement has been made to repay a debt. This type of bill isn't a typical debt though, so I don't know how they establish interest and charges; they should have been detailed in the original agreement that you signed so perhaps have a look on there.

As Joe mentioned, if you need further advice re this in terms of affordability, especially if you have other debts, please register with us via Debt Remedy or our telephone Helpline: www.stepchange.org/Contactus

Best wishes

Allen

• SuzyN
    • By SuzyN 30th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    SuzyN
    I am currently considering a DMP (Cant quite bring myself to phone StepChange) but I have some questions if someone would be kind enough to help that will hopefully help me get over the panic hurdle?

Q - Iv gathered its a good to build up an emergency fund but even if I didnt pay for 2/3 months I still have other things that would use than money eg I need to give family back cash and vet bills and some things I need to live eg my sink is broken as are my kettle,toaster and microwave and both our cars need tyres and services.

Can I make vastly reduced payments for 6 mths to get things in order then start where I know I can meet the payments? If so how do I tell the advisor at StepChange that I need to do this?

If I do this will creditors just go for a CCJ? (Instead of working with me)

Q - I have some small debts on only a few hundred etc... if I stop paying everyone temporarily then I could pay these in full to reduce creditors. Is this ok or do I just add everyone in?

Q - Some of my debts are interest free loans - do I keep paying them properly?

One is the gas that was put in and I dont want them coming and taking it back out?? Its with Barclays.

Two are for our phones which we need for work - will they ask for them back (Barclays/apple scheme)??

Q - I have the following products with Santander which is my biggest worry....

Mortgage
    Secured loan
    Credit card £900
    Bank account £3600 o/d (maxed each month)
    Bank account £100 o/d
    Car loan PCP (ends April 19 with balloon)
    Car loan normal ends another 3.5 yrs

I need to keep paying my mortgage, secured loan and two cars. The credit card is £900 and the overdrafts £3700.

I dont want to upset Santander as we are in negative equity and if interest rates shoot up I may need them to be helpful to us with our mortgage in the years to come. I always have made all my Santander payments.

what to do? Will dmp ing some of Santander effect the mortgage and hp?

Q - I have two other loans that are only viewable on my payslip and do not appear on any credit ref checks as they are work credit union debts. If I dont pay them them my employer would be informed and that would be disastrous and they will just deduct them from my wages.

I also have a local CU debt but again I cant stop paying it as my family & friends will find out and this cant happen - its a small community. Will this bar me from a DMP?

Q - Ive just read a thread where the poster stopped paying full payments and ended up with a CCJ. Is this common? I can have defaults and pay them off but a CCJ or IVA would effect my job so I cant have them. #Panic

Sorry for the questions just my mind is going mad. Im swinging between excitement and finally taking control and panic that its all going to fall down round me.

I have all my payments due to come out on Wednesday coming and Ive cancelled all my non essential ones so Im going to have emails, letters, texts, phone calls hitting me from then. Feel a bit ill about it all.

I have applied online for an was accepted for a normal Nationwide joint bank account WITH NO OVERDRAFT so thats the first step to getting things sorted - incase I need to part ways with Santander. Just need to show ID.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Suzy x
    Last edited by SuzyN; 30-07-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Removing apostrophies
    • gizmo66
    • By gizmo66 30th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gizmo66
    Once cleared how long does a credit card debts stay on credit history
    Hi All

I want to remortgage but have considerable cc debts at moment, and some investment properties, so my current bank, nationwide have said they will not take on the remortage request. If I can remove the cc debts, how long do they stay on credit history, so I can try to remortgage agin once they have gone? Or is it the investment proproties that I have that will be impacting my remortgage request? Nothing is secured on the house, and I have £190k equity in the house with only £110k to pay. Mortgage is currently with Halfix.
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi Suzy

Thanks for posting.

Iíll try and answer your questions as best as I can, but firstly I know it can be difficult to talking through your situation and discussing the debts might be something youíve not done before and it can be a big step but at StepChange weíre more than happy to help and support you to a solution.

Firstly itís important the budget is right for you. If youíve important costs you need to budget for then your budget needs to reflect that. A budget is there to support any solutions you might decide to go ahead with to give it the best chance of success and reduce the chance of further action from the creditors. When you speak with an advisor at StepChange let them know, our phone advisors will help build the budget with you.
    Depending on your budget and the costs you have we might recommend a token payment option until your finances improve.

To answer question two, weíd advise to treat all creditors fairly, if youíve stopped making payments to one creditor but continue to pay off others it can be seen as preferential treatment, as we donít know what solutions weíd be recommending yet making preferential payments can effect some solutions so weíd suggest not to do this. You can ask all the creditors for a temporary hold while youíre exploring your options. You can find a link to asking for breathing space here.

Youíve asked about the interest free loans, again weíd advise on treating all creditors fairly. When you ask for a hold/breathing space most creditors will stop interest and charges for this period anyway.

To answer the third question, it depends on the type of debt as to whether weíd be advising to ask for a hold. If the debt relates to a contract that you need the use of then weíd advise you to keep this in place or find a cheaper contract that you could move to. For example if you stop paying your phone contract you wonít be able to use the phone, you could find a cheaper contract or sim only and then cancel the old contract. You could then ask for a hold on the old contract if there was any debt left owing.

Weíd only suggest asking for a hold on non-priority debts. Continue paying the mortgage, secured loans, and vehicles on finance as the risk of not paying these is much higher than debt such as credit cards, unsecured personal loans, catalogues etc.

Making reduced payments to unsecured debts wonít impact you mortgage as such, even if they are with the same provider as some unsecure debts, however making reduced payments to creditors will impact your credit file which could impact the interest rate thatís available to you.

Credit Union debts can be stopped so this will stop coming from your wages. If this debt isnít linked to your employer then it wonít impact your employment even though itís deducted from your wage. Some employers provide advances; this type of debt could impact your employment. Iíd suggest checking the impact with your work first by speaking with your HR department or payroll about the deduction.

All debts would need including in tailored debt advice, however it depends on the situation and type of debt as to how it will be affected based on the solution. There are many types of debt solution. In general we advise to include all debts however this is something we can discuss in more detail when you call in.

When you make reduced payments to your creditors or miss payments whether you are in a repayment plan or not it means the creditors could take court action and issue a CCJ. This is greatly reduced if youíre in a managed solution as creditors are more likely to do this if they arenít receiving any payment.

Youíre making really positive steps forward in finding a solution to the problem debt. I really would advise calling in so we can discuss the queries you have in more detail and help you look at the options available to you.

You can find our contact details here.

Thanks
    Rachael

I am currently considering a DMP (Cant quite bring myself to phone StepChange) but I have some questions if someone would be kind enough to help that will hopefully help me get over the panic hurdle?

Q - Iv gathered its a good to build up an emergency fund but even if I didnt pay for 2/3 months I still have other things that would use than money eg I need to give family back cash and vet bills and some things I need to live eg my sink is broken as are my kettle,toaster and microwave and both our cars need tyres and services.

Can I make vastly reduced payments for 6 mths to get things in order then start where I know I can meet the payments? If so how do I tell the advisor at StepChange that I need to do this?

If I do this will creditors just go for a CCJ? (Instead of working with me)

Q - I have some small debts on only a few hundred etc... if I stop paying everyone temporarily then I could pay these in full to reduce creditors. Is this ok or do I just add everyone in?

Q - Some of my debts are interest free loans - do I keep paying them properly?

One is the gas that was put in and I dont want them coming and taking it back out?? Its with Barclays.

Two are for our phones which we need for work - will they ask for them back (Barclays/apple scheme)??

Q - I have the following products with Santander which is my biggest worry....

Mortgage
    Secured loan
    Credit card £900
    Bank account £3600 o/d (maxed each month)
    Bank account £100 o/d
    Car loan PCP (ends April 19 with balloon)
    Car loan normal ends another 3.5 yrs

I need to keep paying my mortgage, secured loan and two cars. The credit card is £900 and the overdrafts £3700.

I dont want to upset Santander as we are in negative equity and if interest rates shoot up I may need them to be helpful to us with our mortgage in the years to come. I always have made all my Santander payments.

what to do? Will dmp ing some of Santander effect the mortgage and hp?

Q - I have two other loans that are only viewable on my payslip and do not appear on any credit ref checks as they are work credit union debts. If I dont pay them them my employer would be informed and that would be disastrous and they will just deduct them from my wages.

I also have a local CU debt but again I cant stop paying it as my family & friends will find out and this cant happen - its a small community. Will this bar me from a DMP?

Q - Ive just read a thread where the poster stopped paying full payments and ended up with a CCJ. Is this common? I can have defaults and pay them off but a CCJ or IVA would effect my job so I cant have them. #Panic

Sorry for the questions just my mind is going mad. Im swinging between excitement and finally taking control and panic that its all going to fall down round me.

I have all my payments due to come out on Wednesday coming and Ive cancelled all my non essential ones so Im going to have emails, letters, texts, phone calls hitting me from then. Feel a bit ill about it all.

I have applied online for an was accepted for a normal Nationwide joint bank account WITH NO OVERDRAFT so thats the first step to getting things sorted - incase I need to part ways with Santander. Just need to show ID.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Suzy x
    Originally posted by SuzyN

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

2,342Users online

Martin's Twitter