Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    • 9,272Posts
    • 22,124Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question 18th Nov 16 at 1:05 PM
    If you need help with your debts, this is the thread for you.

Trained advisers from StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) are here and waiting to answer your debt questions. They're a friendly bunch so please don't be shy!

There are three ways to get in touch:

1 - Simply post your question below and the team will reply. If your question is about bankruptcy, then pop over to the Bankruptcy board.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private, feel free to send a message to StepChange Private Messages.

3 - StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an adviser through online chat.

If you're a StepChange Debt Charity client already, please contact its Aftercare team rather than posting in this thread (their contact details are in your Welcome Pack).

If you're self employed and need debt help please get in touch with Business Debtline.

This is discussion thread part four, see parts one, two and three.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-07-2018 at 2:41 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 41
    • moneyrae
    • By moneyrae 27th Jun 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moneyrae
    Help with overdraft
    Hello all, not sure if this is the best place to post this as I am new to the forum and trying my best to understand where everything lives, so apologies if not and please point me in the right direction!

I currently have been in my overdraft for at least 6 years, mostly at the very limit of it which is £1500. I probably have been in this position for the majority of the last 15 years if I'm honest, starting from when I first went to university. I managed to get out on a number of occasion when I was in high paid jobs but for one reason or another ended up creeping back in to it eventually.

I've received a letter from the bank recently where they have finally caught up with the fact I've had a student/graduate overdraft for probably longer than I should have, although I have attended university on a number of different occasions over the years. So I now will be moved to a regular current account overdraft which charges.

I came to the realization last Christmas that for the majority of my adult life I've actually not been living off my own money, but in debt, so I started to try and pay it off. So far I have paid off £500 of the overdraft. I work part time and I am struggling to find full time work, so I only earn £600 a month or thereabouts and it is a struggle to pay anything into my debt as even when budgeting and spending absolutely as little as possible, the wages I get just aren't enough.

At most I can put £100 a month towards paying off my overdraft, which will leave me £700 in to it when September comes around. I believe I will be charged 0.75p a day for use of it. I have heard of people paying off an overdraft using a balance transfer on a credit card - I've never had any credit cards so I am not massively familiar with the whole system.

My question is, is having the debt on a credit card something that would benefit me? The average fee I'll have to pay off Barclays for every month I use it seems like it will be £22.50.

Any advice anyone can give me on how best to manage this would be much appreciated. Thank you!
  • StepChange_Patience
    Hi Jo

Thanks for getting in touch, it sounds like there are a few things we need to consider here so Iíll try to break it down as much as I can.

Firstly Iíll explain the N56 and the attachment of earnings, itís really important to fill this in as accurately as possible and send it back within the 8 day deadline.

They may ask for the details of your partnerís income, not to ask them to pay for this, but to make sure youíre paying your fair share towards the household costs compared to your income.

If your circumstances are going to change, it might be worthwhile attaching an additional letter to explain when this will happen and what your income is going to change to, this will help the court to understand your situation.

With the HMRC balance, I know itís difficult when youíre waiting for the balance. You could try calling them to see if theyíd be willing to give you the balance over the phone and pop it down on the form as Ďotherí expenditure, depending on whether theyíre taking any deductions.

When asking for a suspension, this may be considered if the attachment of earnings is going to affect your employment, but it may not be accepted if you already have an attachment in place.

If they accept the suspension, youíd be sent the court form ĎN64 suspended attachment of earnings orderí and instructed to pay the creditor directly.

However if those payments are missed, the creditor can ask for the attachment to be started again.

What Iím going to cover now is the other concerns that you had.

I understand how out of the blue this debt must feel, if you have moved it may be that the creditor didnít have your most up to date address and the paperwork may have been sent to a previous address, which explains why you may not have received the original judgement.

If you think the debt was over 6 years old, with no payment or acknowledgement when they entered the judgement in 2014, it may be statute barred, you can find out further information here: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/can-i-write-off-debt/statute-barred-debt.aspx

If you would like advice to deal with the N56 in more detail, we offer that help over the phone on 0800 138 1111.

I hope this helps.

Patience

All

I am looking for some advice please - hope I have posted in correct place.

I have received an N56 form with regards to a credit card debt for approx £5000. With was an abbey national credit card, the DCA is arrow global and the solicitors acting on behalf of arrow is restons. This debt is over ten years old and in this time I have neither acknowledged or paid anything off the debt.
    In the last ten years I have moved home 6/7 times and wasn!!!8217;t aware that this debt had gone to CCJ, having not received any letters from arrow or restons.
    I have had a look at my credit history and can see that the CCJ was applied in 2014. There is a chance that this debt may have been statute barred when the CCJ was applied but I cannot be 100% sure as I do not have financial paperwork dating back that far. I have a number of questions:
    This debt was accrued as a single mum working part time - since then I have married and have gone on to have more children and working full time. Do I have to include my husbands income/debt on the N56? Seems unfair that a debt he had nothing to do with becomes his responsibility too.
    As I mentioned earlier I haven!!!8217;t received any communication from arrow or restons before the N56 so have I gone past the point of being able to agree a payment plan with them? Ideally I would like to avoid an attachment of earnings as this will be frowned upon in my work place and likely to affect my employment going forward. I know I can tick for a suspension of attachment but you have to give a good reason - what counts as a good reason?
    To add a complication. We are looking at a substantial tax credits overpayment for last year we are waiting for the final total from HMRC. How do I include this on a N56?
    Lastly, I am returning to university in sept part time which means I will see a decrease in my wages. How do I include this in an N56?
    With regards to the debt being statute barred - please can somebody give me any info on going about finding out this information and how I can get the judgement overturned?
    Any information would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you so much
    Jo
    Originally posted by MRSJT
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • StepChange_Patience
    Hi there

Thanks for getting in touch.

Iím sorry to hear what youíve been through as a family. I understand how difficult it must be, to be trying to get your lives together and worrying about your brotherís situation.

I'll help as much as I can and just to reassure you, you will not be held responsible for your brotherís debt. You can find out more information here on our website: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/your-rights/debts-not-in-my-name.aspx

I know it might seem like your brother is going to get into trouble, but when it comes to the collections process, this is very set and there are positive steps they can take to resolve it. For example he could use an N245 form to vary the judgement and set up a payment plan.

Itís not a crime and your brother isnít going to be arrested for credit debt.

If it's about 5 years old, it may not be statute barred so continuing to not acknowledge the debt, may lead the creditor to take further steps to collect it.

Our website explains what a statute barred debt is: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/can-i-write-off-debt/statute-barred-debt.aspx

If your brother would like help with his situation, weíd happily have a look at his circumstances, when heís ready he can call us on: 0800 138 1111.

I hope this helps ease your mind a little.

Patience

I hope this is the right place to post this sorry if not! but i really need some advice on my brothers situation, Long story told short.

My brother has received a second CCJ notice Arrears a month ago from Lowell solicitors from the company Shop Direct, this debt goes back to around 5 years ago my brother cannot remember what it originally came from and has racked up a ton of interest on top which concerns me. Basically he has ignored these letters as he is in no position to be able to pay this off almost 4k, he lives with myself unemployed i am the owner of the house and as a family for the past few years we have struggled greatly with personal family matters, i.e Deaths in the family and for the past few years been getting our lives together.

My question is Will i be held responsible for this CCJ of his? or any baliffs that could come? how much trouble is my brother in? and as it is my home are my possessions safe? and is my brother who has not acknowledge the debt or given any responses safe to keep ignoring these letters? what will he expect?

Thank you.
    Originally posted by kie101
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • StepChange_Kirsty
    Hello,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

Iím afraid I canít advise you on whether taking a credit card would be a good idea for your circumstances as we donít advise on further credit.

If you decide this is the option for you there are a few important considerations:

First of all make sure you do a comparison of the interest charged on the overdraft versus the amount you will be charged on the credit card, you don't want to end up paying more back.

Do make sure before taking out the credit card that they can pay off the balance on the overdraft as not all credit cards would allow you do to this.

I would also recommend that you put together a budget to work out how much you can pay towards the credit card and make sure you pay this rather than just the minimum amount as otherwise you could end up in further debt. If you stick to the budget itís also unlikely that you would need to use the credit card for any other purchases.

If you decide not to take out a credit card, you could consider opening a basic bank account with a bank you donít have any credit with. You may find this easier to manage your money and you can transfer money each month to the overdrawn account without feeling that youíre living in it.

Weíre also happy to provide you debt help and advice completely free of charge. To give you the best advice we need you to complete a budget with us so we can better understand your circumstances. The easiest and quickest way to do this is by using our online Debt Remedy tool which takes you through the steps of putting together a budget and will then provide advice in the form of a personal action plan.

I hope this helps.

Kirsty

Hello all, not sure if this is the best place to post this as I am new to the forum and trying my best to understand where everything lives, so apologies if not and please point me in the right direction!

I currently have been in my overdraft for at least 6 years, mostly at the very limit of it which is £1500. I probably have been in this position for the majority of the last 15 years if I'm honest, starting from when I first went to university. I managed to get out on a number of occasion when I was in high paid jobs but for one reason or another ended up creeping back in to it eventually.

I've received a letter from the bank recently where they have finally caught up with the fact I've had a student/graduate overdraft for probably longer than I should have, although I have attended university on a number of different occasions over the years. So I now will be moved to a regular current account overdraft which charges.

I came to the realization last Christmas that for the majority of my adult life I've actually not been living off my own money, but in debt, so I started to try and pay it off. So far I have paid off £500 of the overdraft. I work part time and I am struggling to find full time work, so I only earn £600 a month or thereabouts and it is a struggle to pay anything into my debt as even when budgeting and spending absolutely as little as possible, the wages I get just aren't enough.

At most I can put £100 a month towards paying off my overdraft, which will leave me £700 in to it when September comes around. I believe I will be charged 0.75p a day for use of it. I have heard of people paying off an overdraft using a balance transfer on a credit card - I've never had any credit cards so I am not massively familiar with the whole system.

My question is, is having the debt on a credit card something that would benefit me? The average fee I'll have to pay off Barclays for every month I use it seems like it will be £22.50.

Any advice anyone can give me on how best to manage this would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Originally posted by moneyrae

• Jane66S
    • By Jane66S 29th Jun 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jane66S
    Hi, just joined so sorry if this isn't in the right place. In 2010 my home was sold by the mortgage company and there was a shortfall of £30k. I have been paying regularly since 2011 when their agents contacted me. Every year I complete an income and expenditure form and offer a monthly payment. This time they have said I can do a limited liability, pay a set amount each month until I have paid a reduced figure. For example £100 per month until I have repaid another £2000. It sounds like a really good option but I want to make sure that I can't be chased again for the same debt. Would this be the end of it?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes creditors will accept a partial payment to settle the debt. This is normally a lump sum to pay back part of the debt with the agreement they wonít chase for the remaining balance.

Before going forward with any agreement Iíd suggest making sure they send you written confirmation of this first. With written confirmation itís unlikely theyíd try and chase for the debt in the future and if they did itís much less likely a court would agree to further action because youíve got written confirmation that theyíd agreed to a reduced payment to settle the debt.

On your credit file it would show that the debt has been paid as a partial settlement.

Hope this helps,
    Rachael

Hi, just joined so sorry if this isn't in the right place. In 2010 my home was sold by the mortgage company and there was a shortfall of £30k. I have been paying regularly since 2011 when their agents contacted me. Every year I complete an income and expenditure form and offer a monthly payment. This time they have said I can do a limited liability, pay a set amount each month until I have paid a reduced figure. For example £100 per month until I have repaid another £2000. It sounds like a really good option but I want to make sure that I can't be chased again for the same debt. Would this be the end of it?
    Originally posted by Jane66S

• Jenerys
    • By Jenerys 4th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jenerys
    Debt consolidation - how?
    Hi I am hoping this thread is still active?

I own my house out right
    I run my own business
    I have lots of clients and turnover around £3K to £3.5K pcm

But
    My clients are often not paying me on time
    So I put things on cc's thinking/promising I'll pay them off when the money comes in
    And I dont
    I do have a minimum payment plan set up with the two cc companies

I also took out a loan for £20K for house improvements and pay this off over 10 years at £503 pcm

I am constantly worrying about money

I am a single parent with a young child to feed

What is the best way to reduce my monthly outgoings on debt? I was wondering about getting equity out of the house?

I am 49

Please advise
    • amyjane6788
    • By amyjane6788 5th Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amyjane6788
    advice
    hi,
    i have revived a letter of Notice of issue of warrant control, that need to be paid by 6th july other bailiffs will be called.
    I sent off a N245 form what i have only just got back saying that i dont get help paying the fee and that i should pay by card or cheque.
    If i do his today will i still get the bailifs round or will this stop that?
    thanks
    amy
  • StepChange_Patience
    Hi there

Thanks for getting in touch, please rest assured this thread is still active.

Iím sorry to hear about the difficulties youíre having with the business and I understand how difficult it must be to manage the debts when youíre not being paid on time.

If you are considering something like equity release, it would be worthwhile seeking impartial advice and consider whether it would be affordable for you to do this, without putting your home at risk. The Money Advice Service has further information about this: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/equity-release

Whilst StepChange may not be the best place to give you support, there is another organisation that will be able to help called Business Debt Line.

Like us, they are a free and impartial organisation who support anyone who is self-employed and you donít need to have business debts to speak to them.

What they will look to do is give you the best support and advice with the personal side of things, whilst taking into consideration your business. Their number is: 0800 197 6026 and are open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm.

I hope this helps

Patience

Hi I am hoping this thread is still active?

I own my house out right
    I run my own business
    I have lots of clients and turnover around £3K to £3.5K pcm

But
    My clients are often not paying me on time
    So I put things on cc's thinking/promising I'll pay them off when the money comes in
    And I dont
    I do have a minimum payment plan set up with the two cc companies

I also took out a loan for £20K for house improvements and pay this off over 10 years at £503 pcm

I am constantly worrying about money

I am a single parent with a young child to feed

What is the best way to reduce my monthly outgoings on debt? I was wondering about getting equity out of the house?

I am 49

Please advise
    Originally posted by Jenerys

• StepChange_Patience
    Hi Amy Jane

Thanks for getting in touch.

Itís great to hear youíve used the N245, but as you mentioned the fee would need to be paid before the court are able to consider your alternative offer of payment.

The process of using an N245 may hopefully prevent a bailiff (enforcement agent) coming out to you but even if the bailiff does visit, you donít have to let them in the property and you can find out further information here: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/bailiff-help-and-advice.aspx

I hope this helps and if you need any further advice on how to deal with debts, we will happily have a look at your situation. You can call us on: 0800 138 1111 and weíre here Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm.

Patience

hi,
    i have revived a letter of Notice of issue of warrant control, that need to be paid by 6th july other bailiffs will be called.
    I sent off a N245 form what i have only just got back saying that i dont get help paying the fee and that i should pay by card or cheque.
    If i do his today will i still get the bailifs round or will this stop that?
    thanks
    amy
    Originally posted by amyjane6788

• lecy2503
    • By lecy2503 8th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lecy2503
    Advice please

I have approx £25k credit card debt

I have tried to re-mortgage with out success through L&C

Current Mortgage is £80k outstanding, house value is £175,000

any advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by lecy2503; 08-07-2018 at 10:40 AM.
  • StepChange_Linsi
    Good morning,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

Iím sorry to hear L&C werenít able to help you remortgage. If youíd like more advice about mortgages and refinancing your debts Iíd recommend speaking to our Financial Solutions team. You can find more information about our Financial Solutions team here on our website, along with their contact details.

Alternatively, you can use our Debt Remedy tool if youíd like to find a debt solution to help you deal with your credit cards without using further credit. The online tool helps you to create a budget and then recommends a debt solution on the last page. Hereís the link.

Both services are free to use and our Debt Remedy tool is anonymous.

I hope this helps,

Linsi

Advice please

I have approx £25k credit card debt

I have tried to re-mortgage with out success through L&C

Current Mortgage is £80k outstanding, house value is £175,000

any advice would be appreciated
    Originally posted by lecy2503

• Iwillbedebtfree
    • By Iwillbedebtfree 9th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Iwillbedebtfree
    Hi

Iím on a DMP and approached all of my creditors to arrange F & Fs. I sent them all letters using the national debtline template. My offer was refused. I called Capital 1, who agreed a 40% discount to settle. I asked for it in writing. This arrived today but Iím not sure about the wording. Obviously I want them to write off the balance, not chase it, not sell it on etc... Can you please advise if this wording gives me that protection?

The account defaulted over 6 years ago so itís already fallen off my credit report.

Dear x, Thank you for contacting us about the outstanding balance on your Capital 1 cc account. We are writing to confirm the settlement arrangement that has been agreed.
    To settle your account a payment of x will need to be received by 1st August 2018. Once we receive the payment your account will be closed.

How will this impact your credit file?
    If you pay your full outstanding balance this will show as satisfied
    If you pay less than your outstanding balance this will show as satisfied with a zero balance and an additional flag of Ďpartial settlementí. We must also inform you that we reserve the right to set off the unpaid balance against any subsequent claim you may bring against us.

Your original payment history will remain on your credit file. If we have recorded a default the amount and date of your default will not be removed but the status will be amended to reflect that your account has been fully or partially settled. This information will remain on your credit file for six years from the date your default was recorded.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 10th Jul 18, 1:01 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    jools1985
    Hi,

I'm really hoping for some help and direction with my spiraling debts which are all to credit cards.

I have done the step change remedy tool which recommends a DMP. It also states I could sell my home to release capital and pay off my debts. I also noticed it said to consider moving to interest only on my mortgage for a while.

I have 24 months left to pay on my mortgage and the interest this month was £58. The full mortgage payment is £768 per month. I have never had any mortgage arrears. I took it out 8 years ago when I was 51 and the term was for 10 years.

feel if I could pay interest only of £58 for say 12 months then I could put the balance of the full mortgage payment against my debts. This would throw an additional £710 per month to reduce my debts. Is it just a case of phoning my mortgage company and asking them? I am really quite scared of contacting any organisation I owe money too.

I worry constantly about how to pay my debts and am very anxious all of the time.

Please help me.
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forum.

The wording in the letter below seems to guarantee that you wouldnít be pursued for the debt once your settlement has been paid, as theyíve said theyíll close your account. It would be unfair of them to agree to write off a portion of your debt, only to sell this balance one to a collections agency.

If youíre on a DMP, Iíd advise against settling just one of your debts. I appreciate youíve already tried to settle each of them, but your other creditors may view clearing one of your debts as preferential treatment. This means they may be more likely to take collections action and add interest and charges. I recommend getting in touch with your DMP provider for further advise on how to best to deal with your debts going forward.

I hope youíve found this helpful.

Thanks

Joe
    Hi

Iím on a DMP and approached all of my creditors to arrange F & Fs. I sent them all letters using the national debtline template. My offer was refused. I called Capital 1, who agreed a 40% discount to settle. I asked for it in writing. This arrived today but Iím not sure about the wording. Obviously I want them to write off the balance, not chase it, not sell it on etc... Can you please advise if this wording gives me that protection?

The account defaulted over 6 years ago so itís already fallen off my credit report.

Dear x, Thank you for contacting us about the outstanding balance on your Capital 1 cc account. We are writing to confirm the settlement arrangement that has been agreed.
    To settle your account a payment of x will need to be received by 1st August 2018. Once we receive the payment your account will be closed.

How will this impact your credit file?
    If you pay your full outstanding balance this will show as satisfied
    If you pay less than your outstanding balance this will show as satisfied with a zero balance and an additional flag of Ďpartial settlementí. We must also inform you that we reserve the right to set off the unpaid balance against any subsequent claim you may bring against us.

Your original payment history will remain on your credit file. If we have recorded a default the amount and date of your default will not be removed but the status will be amended to reflect that your account has been fully or partially settled. This information will remain on your credit file for six years from the date your default was recorded.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Originally posted by Iwillbedebtfree

• JPoultz
    • By JPoultz 10th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPoultz
    Hi All

Around a year ago I received a car parking ticket from a private company for overstaying in a supermarket car park.

I have been ignoring the letters that have been coming through the post as the cost of the fine kept on rising. I have now received a letter from DCBL which reads:

"Your overdue amount of £185 due to vehicle control services Ltd in relation to County Court judgement number _______ has now been passed to DCBL to recover the debt on their behalf. A further £75 +VAT administration and recovery fee has now been accrued therefore the total amount now due is £275.

To ensure no further action will take place please make immediate payment by one of the following methods: phone our 24-hour payment line using reference number ______ or by postal order/cheque

Failure to adress within 14 days of the date of this letter will result in your case is being reviewed for legal recovery and such costs being added to the debt for recovery"

Before this letter I did receive a letter that looked to be from a county court whislt I was away on holiday.

Do you have any advice on how to act on this? Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forum. Iím sorry to hear youíve been struggling with your debts, Iíll do everything I can to help you with this.

Feeling anxious a lot of the time certainly isnít uncommon when youíre worried about your debts. Debt can make feelings of anxiety more severe. Equally, feelings of anxiety can make the debts themselves harder to deal with.

If you havenít already, Iíd recommend getting in touch with your GP for some further support with this. Thereís also a really useful article on money worries and mental health on the Mind website

To answer your question about interest-only payments, this is something that you could call your bank to discuss in more detail. You may even be able to book a face-to-face appointment with an advisor in your local branch.

However, Iíd think carefully before going ahead with an interest-only period. While this can be a good way of freeing up money to clear your unsecured debts quicker, it will mean taking longer to pay off your remaining mortgage balance. It could also mean higher interest payments once the interest-only period ends. Also, when your mortgage finishes in 2 yearsí time, youíll have a spare £768 to offer to the creditors, so you could make smaller affordable payments to your creditors until this happens.

If youíve completed the Debt Remedy online self-help tool and accessed your advice, but have some further questions about this, please donít hesitate to contact the Digital Support team on the contact number on page 2 of your personal action plan.

I hope youíve found this helpful.

Thanks

Joe

Hi,

I'm really hoping for some help and direction with my spiraling debts which are all to credit cards.

I have done the step change remedy tool which recommends a DMP. It also states I could sell my home to release capital and pay off my debts. I also noticed it said to consider moving to interest only on my mortgage for a while.

I have 24 months left to pay on my mortgage and the interest this month was £58. The full mortgage payment is £768 per month. I have never had any mortgage arrears. I took it out 8 years ago when I was 51 and the term was for 10 years.

feel if I could pay interest only of £58 for say 12 months then I could put the balance of the full mortgage payment against my debts. This would throw an additional £710 per month to reduce my debts. Is it just a case of phoning my mortgage company and asking them? I am really quite scared of contacting any organisation I owe money too.

I worry constantly about how to pay my debts and am very anxious all of the time.

Please help me.
    Originally posted by jools1985

• StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

First of all, I recommend double-checking the letter you received before the letter from DCBL. Contact the county court named on this letter, quoting your claim number, to confirm whether or not the claim is genuine. If it isnít a genuine claim, I recommend making a complaint to the company that issued the ticket.

If the CCJ is genuine, then DCBL are able to enforce it theyíve successfully applied for a warrant of control from the court. If theyíve done this, you should have received a notice of enforcement from the court informing you that a warrant has been issued and giving a date after which an enforcement agent will visit, giving you at least seven clear daysí notice.

However, the wording in the letter youíve received leads me to believe that they havenít got a warrant of control. Theyíve asked for payment, but they havenít mentioned visiting you to take payment or try to seize your goods. In this case, DCBL are more than likely acting as debt collectors, not enforcement agents. Thereís a useful article about the difference between the two on the StepChange website here.

If DCBL are simply trying to collect the debt, you should be able to make a payment arrangement with them thatís affordable and realistic. If theyíre enforcing the debt with a warrant of control, then youíll need some advice on how to deal with enforcement agents, and how to get a payment towards this debt set at a fair amount.

In either case, StepChange can give you some free, impartial and tailored debt advice on how best to deal with this debt. You can use StepChangeís anonymous online Debt Remedy tool to create a budget. The tool is available 24 hours a day, and will offer the best debt solution for your situation once youíve completed your budget.

I hope youíve found this helpful

Thanks

Joe
    Hi All

Around a year ago I received a car parking ticket from a private company for overstaying in a supermarket car park.

I have been ignoring the letters that have been coming through the post as the cost of the fine kept on rising. I have now received a letter from DCBL which reads:

"Your overdue amount of £185 due to vehicle control services Ltd in relation to County Court judgement number _______ has now been passed to DCBL to recover the debt on their behalf. A further £75 +VAT administration and recovery fee has now been accrued therefore the total amount now due is £275.

To ensure no further action will take place please make immediate payment by one of the following methods: phone our 24-hour payment line using reference number ______ or by postal order/cheque

Failure to adress within 14 days of the date of this letter will result in your case is being reviewed for legal recovery and such costs being added to the debt for recovery"

Before this letter I did receive a letter that looked to be from a county court whislt I was away on holiday.

Do you have any advice on how to act on this? Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by JPoultz

• JPoultz
    • By JPoultz 10th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPoultz
    Hi Joe

Thanks for replying.

I!!!8217;ll phone the court up tomorrow and ask them if the claim is genuine

I did notice on the reverse of the letter sent from !!!8216;DCBL!!!8217; a statement that read: !!!8220;This case is not subject to High Court or Baliff action!!!8221; - could this relate to your point of the claim not being genuine?

Ill double check with them tomorrow as they are currently closed

Thanks again!
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 10th Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Hi.

I just wondered if there was any know help for compulsive/emotional spending? I know there is loads of help on how to get in touch woth creditors etc, but I havenít seen anything for addressing the actual spending issues in the first place.

We have debt, which is on 0% for a long time and weíre not increasing it, however weíre not decreasing it much either and a lot of it is because we just spend without thinking. Particularly me. I donít work because I have chronic illnesses and also because of that, I donít have many friends. As such, I often fill in my time by spending. Not always massive amounts, but it all adds up

We use YNAB to record everything, but instead of looking at the budget amounts before spending, we just spend and then move around categories.

We have a decent income with reasonable fixed expenses, so on paper we should be fine..but weíre just cycling debt.

Any ideas would be welcome!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,633Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter